Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    joneve said:
    Boromedic said:
    I'm hoping Leicester can survive and Leeds and Everton slide out of the Prem but I think it will be Leeds and Leicester tbh. Always a rough time to be a fan, but there's so many clubs who are kind of bigger than the Champ and not big enough to cement the Prem. That's on top of having a season go against you too. 
    Everton staying up is ideal if they get a points deduction next season. 

Stressful relegation battle, this. Glad we’re not a part of it :) 

The PL needs to show they are the authorities that run the league and not the clubs highly paid legal teams - 
    Wouldn't that then mean the PL telling Burnley and Leeds where to stick their complaints though?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    No City fans around here? 

I'm disappointed that they won, but at the end of the day I have to say hats off to an amazing team. Surely this must be their year for the Champions league as well? And much thought I hate the thought, they are going to beat Man U to seal the treble as well.

Pep has been a brilliant Prem manager, but he really needs the Champions league to ice his impressive cake.

I sincerely hope that someone beats them next season, 4 in a row!?!?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited May 2023
    You rang my lord

Sorry for a late reply - Guitar Show exhibiting today - Watched the game from about 6.30 without knowing anything

Think we now need Houdini, Tom, Dick and Harry + Charles Bronson - Last time we went down Leicester came down with us 
    It was a typical West Ham display. I didn't panic when we went 1-0 down because we always do, and recently we've still ended up winning. We look like a much better team again, Moyes has turned it around. Hope you guys get a result and turn it around.

I'm Moyes in now, even if we lose this final. The football was dire but the board were proven right to stick with him. We could even finish above Chelsea!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005

I wonder if Man City will be punished for the charges being brought against them and if so how. If guilty, it can't be fines as it won't touch them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    rze99 said:

I wonder if Man City will be punished for the charges being brought against them and if so how. If guilty, it can't be fines as it won't touch them.

Then what? Make them play naked?
    edited May 2023
    tony99 said:
    rze99 said:

Stripped of all titles.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited May 2023
    rze99 said:

Of course they wont or it will look like the Premier Leagues winners from the last three years were cheating.... Ah. Theyre a bit like the Lance Armstrong of football. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    tony99 said:
    rze99 said:

Stripped of all undercrackers!
    Fixed
    Everton takeover chat seems to have gathered pace too.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    tony99 said:
    Everton takeover chat seems to have gathered pace too.
    If they don't get taken over, they'll end up in administration if they're not careful. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    tony99 said:
    rze99 said:

Stripped of all titles.

If found guilty, I would like to see them relegated to the bottom of the EFL.

If they have really operated outside of the rules, then the impact on all other clubs is huge. Not only would titles and cups have changed hands but relegations would have been different too.

The negative impact on other clubs in the period is massive, so the punishment should be appropriately huge too. 

Can't see it happening though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited May 2023
    City fan here.

Firstly, on the pitch. Fairly widely accepted that the football has been phenominal, joy to watch, etc. Pep's tactical brain, man management, coaching are extraordinary. He'll probably never match Fergie's record (13 Prems FFS!) but the man is a wonder.

Yes, there has been lots of money.....but we bought Alvarez for £14m and Akanji for £15m. And in earlier seasons, Torres for £20m (sold for £40m), Gundogan for £20m, Zinchenko for £1mm(sold for £30m)....

As a fifty something year old who grew up on the meagre offerings of Shaun Goater and Paul Dickov, I make no apology for loving the football we play.

Secondly, off the pitch. Well, its complicated. The FA charges relate to up to I think 2018, so even if upheld, they wouldn't affect trophies won in the last 5 years. Aside from that there is a mixed bag of matters levelled against City ranging from sportswashing for a nasty regime to effectively buying trophies.

I am somewhat conflicted on all of this. On the one hand, football is my escape from real life. I want to stand on the terrace full of tribalism and scream and yell and cheer and boo and switch off the rational, analytical part of my brain. On the other hand, I don't want to ignore ethical questions.

But like most matters these days, there are facts and there facts. Many of those shouting about City don't know who owns them or what human rights they are supposed to have failed. And they aren't shouting about human rights in any other context. But that doesn't mean that there isn't some substance to the claims. But I also think City are being singled out because of their success. Nobody talks about  Spurs benefiting from the investment of a tax exile or Stan Kroenke's bloodsports TV Channel. I totally get why non-City fans are at best indifferent to us winning trophies - I felt the same watching Chelsea win stuff with Abramovich's money. But the reality is that football is such a vast money and PR business that it attracts high stakes rollers who almost all have skeletons in their closet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Winning to you in a bigger spotlight.  If and when Newcastle do the same...the light will be on them.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    rze99 said:

Stripped of all titles.

If found guilty, I would like to see them relegated to the bottom of the EFL.

If they have really operated outside of the rules, then the impact on all other clubs is huge. Not only would titles and cups have changed hands but relegations would have been different too.

The negative impact on other clubs in the period is massive, so the punishment should be appropriately huge too. 

Can't see it happening though.

I think that is the big issue for the authorities - Whilst you can upgrade a runner up to a title winner etc, but you can't upgrade a relegated club back to the PL for example 

No use issuing a fine on its own as it means nothing to the financial wealth of such owners - Commit the crime, pay the fine and move on will be their attitude - If the charges relate to say a 5 year period, then for the next 5 seasons make them start with a 10 or 15 point deduction, for each season - Plus issue a fine that can be spread to lower leagues and grass root levels 
    Supposedly points deductions hurts the fans though; at least that was the claim when the six clubs wanted to sod off and start a euro-super league
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    Supposedly points deductions hurts the fans though; at least that was the claim when the six clubs wanted to sod off and start a euro-super league
    It is always the fans that suffer, whatever the end game is - Be it Luton,Portsmouth, Coventry etc with various issues a few years ago - Or more recently the likes of Bury - Whilst I'm no fan of Derby, I'm glad they were saved by a local business man - It is an important part of a local community as such these clubs should stay in business - Derby fans might hate Leeds and as I said I'm not a fan of Derby at all, but at the end of the day both sets of fans share a passion for a product, so I know how they feel - So glad they are still with us, albeit the malicious side in me hopes they stay in Div 1 for many years 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    tony99 said:
     at least that was the claim when the six clubs wanted to sod off and start a euro-super league
    Maybe a shame that the European Super League didn't happen.

It could have siphoned off a lot of the hyper-money clubs, TV deals and sponsorships into their own mini-league (which, arguably, would have become pretty boring after a fairly short while), leaving the remaining clubs in the domestic leagues to get back to playing a game.

With the "big" clubs gone, the domestic competitions might have been seen as devalued, lost some of that TV/sponsorship revenues and thus become less attractive to the investment vehicles.

Maybe ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited May 2023
    jellyroll said:
    City fan here.

Firstly, on the pitch. Fairly widely accepted that the football has been phenominal, joy to watch, etc. Pep's tactical brain, man management, coaching are extraordinary. He'll probably never match Fergie's record (13 Prems FFS!) but the man is a wonder.

Yes, there has been lots of money.....but we bought Alvarez for £14m and Akanji for £15m. And in earlier seasons, Torres for £20m (sold for £40m), Gundogan for £20m, Zinchenko for £1mm(sold for £30m)....
    Yea but with those resources, you'd expect nothing less. Wenger's Arsenal was sensational to watch and he used the team he inherited, and added players that were scouted effectively without spending zillons. Man UTD spent barely anything some seasons in the noughties and they were winning champions leagues.

I've seen City play many times live now, and it is a bit boring. The game tends to be 90% possession for City, and the opposition soaking it up and trying to catch them on the counter. It's effective but for a neutral it's dull because the game is so closed down.

I don't think the Man City/Guardiola achievement is as great as is being made out to be when you consider the resources he has. And you'd have expected a CL by now too. Klopp's achievements with Liverpool is far greater IMO. He has Henderson in midfield... Henderson... He is in transition and may get 4th again. Multiple finals with much more limited resources and an ageing team is unbelievable. I feel that Guardiola needs players who are intelligent enough to play for him, whilst Klopp makes those players intelligent enough through coaching. I'm in the Klopp Kamp really, not to say Pep isn't amazing, he is.
    jellyroll said:
    Secondly, off the pitch. Well, its complicated. The FA charges relate to up to I think 2018, so even if upheld, they wouldn't affect trophies won in the last 5 years. 
    Yea because of all the efforts to prevent it from happening the last time they were taken to court. 
    I am somewhat conflicted on all of this. On the one hand, football is my escape from real life. I want to stand on the terrace full of tribalism and scream and yell and cheer and boo and switch off the rational, analytical part of my brain. On the other hand, I don't want to ignore ethical questions. But like most matters these days, there are facts and there facts. Many of those shouting about City don't know who owns them or what human rights they are supposed to have failed. And they aren't shouting about human rights in any other context. But that doesn't mean that there isn't some substance to the claims. But I also think City are being singled out because of their success. Nobody talks about  Spurs benefiting from the investment of a tax exile or Stan Kroenke's bloodsports TV Channel.

I don't envy being a City fan right now, even with those titles and that football. I understand your confliction. I think for those who have a conscience it must be difficult. Our owners (West ham) are not nice people, but there are levels to this, and sports washing human rights abuses is basically at the top of the pile. We can all engage in whatabouterry but the reality is, it's the biggest that get the most attention and we can't just say that as everyone does it we should ignore the evidence that is presented in front of us.

And as for knowing what they're accused of? Amnesty International have heavily documented the human rights abuses of the Abu Dhabi Royal Family/State, and the meddling in UK policy, as well as the circumnavigating of the FFP rules. 

Personally, if we get taken over by the likes of Chelsea (Pre War), Newcastle, Man UTD, Man CIty I'd cancel my season ticket. Football isn't worth my moral integrity.

But for all of that, you won on the pitch and we have to give you your plaudits for the actual football, which although often makes for a dull game, is very effective.

TTony said:
    tony99 said:
     at least that was the claim when the six clubs wanted to sod off and start a euro-super league
    Maybe a shame that the European Super League didn't happen.

It could have siphoned off a lot of the hyper-money clubs, TV deals and sponsorships into their own mini-league (which, arguably, would have become pretty boring after a fairly short while), leaving the remaining clubs in the domestic leagues to get back to playing a game.

With the "big" clubs gone, the domestic competitions might have been seen as devalued, lost some of that TV/sponsorship revenues and thus become less attractive to the investment vehicles.

Maybe ...
    Oh aye it's all ifs and buts, and I think it clearly would have been devalued had a lot of the money gone. But english football existed long before the big investments came in, I think it would have survived, but probably not flourish for a long time.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    tony99 said:
    It is always the fans that suffer, whatever the end game is - Be it Luton,Portsmouth, Coventry etc with various issues a few years ago - Or more recently the likes of Bury - Whilst I'm no fan of Derby, I'm glad they were saved by a local business man - It is an important part of a local community as such these clubs should stay in business - Derby fans might hate Leeds and as I said I'm not a fan of Derby at all, but at the end of the day both sets of fans share a passion for a product, so I know how they feel - So glad they are still with us, albeit the malicious side in me hopes they stay in Div 1 for many years 
    Agreed. And it'll be nice for you to renew your rivalries with them down there in the coming seasons!  =)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Hattigol said:
    tony99 said:
    Agreed. And it'll be nice for you to renew your rivalries with them down there in the coming seasons!  =)
    Haha. Something Forest won't need to worry about now we're a massive Premier League club again  B)

I've seen City play many times live now, and it is a bit boring. The game tends to be 90% possession for City, and the opposition soaking it up and trying to catch them on the counter. It's effective but for a neutral it's dull because the game is so closed down.

I don't think the Man City/Guardiola achievement is as great as is being made out to be when you consider the resources he has. And you'd have expected a CL by now too. Klopp's achievements with Liverpool is far greater IMO. He has Henderson in midfield... Henderson... He is in transition and may get 4th again. Multiple finals with much more limited resources and an ageing team is unbelievable. I feel that Guardiola needs players who are intelligent enough to play for him, whilst Klopp makes those players intelligent enough through coaching. I'm in the Klopp Kamp really, not to say Pep isn't amazing, he is.

I know what you're saying about games can be boring for the neutral. The games against "park the bus" teams do tend to become defence v attack. But that's hardly City's fault. 

On Klopp. Agree, he's done an excellent job and would probably have had similar success to Pep if he'd been at City. Not sure I agree with your comment that Pep needs intelligent players but Klopp makes them intelligent. Can anyone be coached to be intelligent? And, the number of players who have improved through being under Pep is long indeed. A counter argument is that Klopp's tactics are pretty one dimensional...high press, high press, high press. And after two seasons, the team is shagged. Both great coaches. Who has done a better job? Depends which criteria one cherry picks to define success... 
    I think Klopp has plenty of resources, if he chooses not to buy a better midfielder than Hendo then it's on Kloppo really.
    edited May 2023
    jellyroll said:

I know what you're saying about games can be boring for the neutral. The games against "park the bus" teams do tend to become defence v attack. But that's hardly City's fault. 

On Klopp. Agree, he's done an excellent job and would probably have had similar success to Pep if he'd been at City. Not sure I agree with your comment that Pep needs intelligent players but Klopp makes them intelligent. Can anyone be coached to be intelligent? And, the number of players who have improved through being under Pep is long indeed. A counter argument is that Klopp's tactics are pretty one dimensional...high press, high press, high press. And after two seasons, the team is shagged. Both great coaches. Who has done a better job? Depends which criteria one cherry picks to define success... 

Well, I mean that he manages to get so much out of players that are good, but aren't world beaters, and manages to win titles/trophies and CL's with them as important, focal points of his team.

I think that players can be coached to become more intelligent yes. Pep will pick the best in class for those positions either at a particular age or because they're the next big thing (Grealish, Haaland etc), and they already have the attributes and footballing intelligence needed and he improves them, but they already have that foundation. Klopp does that too, but what he does more because of budgetary restraints is take players like Salah, who went from club to club, not achieving their potential, and turns them into the best player in the world. He has players like Milner, Henderson, Oxlade Chamberlian, players who are decent but not world beaters and makes them into the most important elements of his teams for other reasons than purely footballing ones. While they both amazing coaches in this regard, in my opinion Klopp does this much more than Pep. 

And Klopps teams are shagged because he has a much smaller squad and depth, and smaller budget. You just can't expect him to keep up every year. Liverpool are actually 9th in their outlay, City are first.

I respect Pep immensely, but I think that Klopps job is harder and he gets more out of players that you wouldn't expect to achieve what they have. Considering the years that Liverpool won the league, the CL, last year, how many would have got in Man City's first team? Salah and TAA definitely, VVD probably when he was great, Mane when he played for them, but surely that's it? 3-4? And they still win the CL, the league, the FA Cup. That just says it all for me really.
    tony99 said:
    I think Klopp has plenty of resources, if he chooses not to buy a better midfielder than Hendo then it's on Kloppo really.
    The point is, he didn't have to. He coached him into a midfielder who does the job he wants, and into a captain that wins the CL, the Premier League, gets into finals year after year, wins FA Cups, League Cups, Domestic cup doubles. That's an amazing feat.
    Well, I think we're both agreed that Sam Allardyce is the benchmark for these things.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    jellyroll said:
    Well, I think we're both agreed that Sam Allardyce is the benchmark for these things.
    Lol. He does know everything.
    tony99 said:
    The point is, he didn't have to. He coached him into a midfielder who does the job he wants, and into a captain that wins the CL, the Premier League, gets into finals year after year, wins FA Cups, League Cups, Domestic cup doubles. That's an amazing feat.
    I think you're covertly painting a narrative that Liverpool do all of this without resources though, and it's far from the truth. You should look beyond transfer fees too, take a look at agents fees, player wages. Liverpool are up there with the biggest spenders of the lot.
    edited May 2023
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    I think you're covertly painting a narrative that Liverpool do all of this without resources though, and it's far from the truth. You should look beyond transfer fees too, take a look at agents fees, player wages. Liverpool are up there with the biggest spenders of the lot.
    I don't think I am. I'm just trying to be objective. And looking at it objectively it appears that comparatively Liverpool spend far less than Man City, which they do, and they achieve quite a lot with heavy reliance on getting the best out of the players they have, which they do. 

You'd expect their outlay to be high, they're a huge club. But are they spending as much as City? Man Utd? The evidence says no.

This is the evidence I have from some quick googling, the numbers are probably different from different sources but it's all within this ballpark from what I can tell. if you know different please correct me! 

The total spend for Liverpool on transfers under Klopp is:

Total Spent: £680.06million
    Total Sold: £435.74million
    Total Net Spend: £244.68million

The total spend for Man City on transfers under Pep is:
    Total Spent: £1.18billion
    Total Sold: £518.2million
    Total Net Spend: £661.8million

I can't see Liverpool spending £400m a year more on wages and agents fees.

They're 9th in the league in their overall outlay in the last 5 years, even behind West Ham.

They're 4th,behind Man Utd, City in their wage budget.

1. Manchester United – £222,984,000
    2. Chelsea – £169,720,000
    3. Manchester City – £163,060,000
    4. Liverpool – £141,782,000

I know people dislike Liverpool FC, but the evidence just underlines the amazing job that he's done there if you ask me.
    edited May 2023
    ManU £222m  :)