Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Yessssss!  Just realised that Everton’s draw means West Ham are guaranteed safe :)

as a 50 years of West Ham supporting, we learn not to celebrate til the large lady sings .  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    sev112 said:
    Yessssss!  Just realised that Everton’s draw means West Ham are guaranteed safe :)

as a 50 years of West Ham supporting, we learn not to celebrate til the large lady sings .  
    good stuff, now go win that cup!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    Forest ahead vs Arsenal as well, unbelievable!

(...but very believable actually ;) )
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    @joneve are you the forest fan? My in laws all from Nottingham so I’m a forest supporter for today.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Congrats to @joneve and Forest fans
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Congrats to Forest.

2 of Everton, Leicester & Leeds to go down …. With Leeds pretty much guaranteed 3pts on the final day (H to Spurs).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Just a though ref the likes of the celebrations for Forest staying up - Sheff Wed coming back from 4 down to get to Wembley - Plymouth getting promoted to the EFL - Notts County back to the FL - Wrexham promotion etc etc etc Luton or Coventry to get to the PL - Do such celebrations mean more to these 'smaller clubs' than the elite clubs and players winning again and again, as expected 

Do the big clubs and fans miss out on such raw emotions, as another PL title etc is just part and parcel of the job they are paid to do

For such fans and clubs, these celebrations often follows years of nothing, and little to cheer - As such it gives them more of a reason to really celebrate  

maybe @joneve can say that getting promoted last year means more than staying up this year ??

Good luck to West Ham in their final - Days like this for such clubs and players are often isolated events - Many players will never play in a European final - Most clubs don't get such a chance - Most fans don't get to see it as they maybe only happen once a generation - So when it happens it is somehow worth more than another notch on the trophy board for an elite club 
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Congrats to Forest.

2 of Everton, Leicester & Leeds to go down …. With Leeds pretty much guaranteed 3pts on the final day (H to Spurs).
    I would not bet on that - But I'm sure Spurs would like to at least achieve something this season and put the final nail in the coffin 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    TTony said:
    Congrats to Forest.

You’ve jinxed it now and Kane will get a hat trick. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Lovely place, Nottingham :)
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    TTony said:
    Congrats to Forest.

You’ve jinxed it now and Kane will get a hat trick. 
    Maybe Kane's last game for Spurs? I doubt he's going out with a whimper and wouldn't be surprised if he bags a hat-trick.

City are different class with Haaland, but Arsenal have had a great season. Basically they need Haaland, so need to put in a 10 billion bid in the close season.

Everton, Leeds, Leicester. I'd like Leicester to stay up as my daughter supports them (my ex-wife did too, we made many a trip to Filbert Street back in the days of Muzzy Izzet, Claridge and Savage). Everton have just been too complacent over the years I think, settled for mid-table mediocrity and it's biting them now. Leeds have been amateurish with their approach to Premier League football, seemingly grasping at straws picking different managers.

Leicester favourites to go though. Such a shame after their 2016 miracle, but they just never got it right replacing the core that saw them champions although Vardy could still put in one last shift and pull it out of the bag. That wouldn't surprise me at all. 
    Well done Notts & Forest :)  
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    I'm really disappointed with the performance vs Forest. Going out with a whimper instead of some fight. Was very confused with the system starting out, and it clearly doesn't work.

Major reinforcements are needed this summer. Cover for Saliba, a proper right back and if Tierney goes a left-back. I don't like Zinchenko there. More depth in midfield, esp if Xhaka is off to Leverkusen. And finally, a goalscoring striker who will give us 25 goals per season. The amount of chances the attacking front line can provide we shouldn't have issues creating. The ability to rotate the first 11 will be key. Saka has hardly had a rest and again Arteta refused to take him off even though he played poorly.

On a positive note though to finish 2nd and push City all the way til 4 or so games to go is a major improvement from last season. No one gave us a chance at the beginning of it. The main objective was to get Champions' League and we've done that.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Great news @joneve , glad to see Forest stay in the Prem. Won the Champions League more times than Citeh! 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

On a positive note though to finish 2nd and push City all the way til 4 or so games to go is a major improvement from last season. No one gave us a chance at the beginning of it. The main objective was to get Champions' League and we've done that.
    As a Spurs fan, I am, once more, slightly (!) jealous of Arsenal.

Stability, young and decent squad, trust in the manager, and giving the ManCs a good fright.

That said, hope you finish 2nd again next season.

(LOLz, as if that’s be 2nd to Spurs).

Boromedic said:
    Great news @joneve , glad to see Forest stay in the Prem. Won the Champions League more times than Citeh! 
    And when it was a knockout at every round - that’s real pressure rather than leagues where the most money is going to get you to the QFs as a minimum

so Forest, Villa, Celtic have a special place in British football
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    edited May 2023
    Ignore me.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    edited May 2023
    Hattigol said:
    Am I missing something here? Are Forest mathematically safe as BBC Sport are saying?

37 points with one game to play. Leeds are 6 points back with two games left and better goal difference. 

Surely if Leeds win their two games and Forest lose their last one, Leeds will finish ahead of them?
    Yes, but Everton can only reach 36 points and so can Leicester. So Forest are safe either way as only Leeds can top em.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Got it. Eventually!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited May 2023
    So happy for City..

Oh wait, I'm not. (But happy for their fans). 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Glad Forest are staying up.  In fact I'm glad all three promoted teams are staying up.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Still ABSOLUTELY BUZZING. Properly stressful season but with everything Cooper has had to deal with, nothing less than he deserved. Glad we got the job done in front of the city ground crowd too. I was supposed to be there but fixture time change meant I couldn’t be there :-( bit gutted that I missed the party but plenty of PREMIER LEAGUE football to watch there next season :) 

Away fans are going to have an absolute party at Palace next week. 
    @joneve - so do you need to buy another 20 players in this transfer window, or do you get to keep some of the current team this time??

:D

Congrats on staying up - good to see the Board stuck with Cooper rather than knee-jerking for someone else.  Given how other knee-jerks have done this season, the stick-with approach has worked much better  :+1:
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Really glad that Forest/Cooper did it. I don’t know why, I have no vested interest in the team. 
    TTony said:
    @joneve - so do you need to buy another 20 players in this transfer window, or do you get to keep some of the current team this time??

:D

Congrats on staying up - good to see the Board stuck with Cooper rather than knee-jerking for someone else.  Given how other knee-jerks have done this season, the stick-with approach has worked much better  :+1:
    I could spend all evening discussing why avoiding relegation was much more impressive than promotion, given everything the team has had to deal with (and why we needed a fair few players). But I think we’ll spend a bit and sign 5-7 very good quality players (whilst getting rid of some dead wood)….and hopefully it starts with signing Henderson on a permanent and Lodi on a permanent after they both impressed and fully bought into the club this season. 
    tFB Trader
    You rang my lord

Sorry for a late reply - Guitar Show exhibiting today - Watched the game from about 6.30 without knowing anything

Think we now need Houdini, Tom, Dick and Harry + Charles Bronson - Last time we went down Leicester came down with us 
    I'm hoping Leicester can survive and Leeds and Everton slide out of the Prem but I think it will be Leeds and Leicester tbh. Always a rough time to be a fan, but there's so many clubs who are kind of bigger than the Champ and not big enough to cement the Prem. That's on top of having a season go against you too. 

Boromedic said:
    I'm hoping Leicester can survive and Leeds and Everton slide out of the Prem but I think it will be Leeds and Leicester tbh. Always a rough time to be a fan, but there's so many clubs who are kind of bigger than the Champ and not big enough to cement the Prem. That's on top of having a season go against you too. 
    Everton staying up is ideal if they get a points deduction next season. 

Stressful relegation battle, this. Glad we’re not a part of it :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    Boromedic said:
    Everton staying up is ideal if they get a points deduction next season. 

Stressful relegation battle, this. Glad we’re not a part of it :) 
    The EFL is so much quicker/decisive about points deductions for any breach of regularities than the PL - Look at Reading this year, have Birmingham had one, got one, or one pending - Wigan - This year alone

The PL needs to show they are the authorities that run the league and not the clubs highly paid legal teams - Otherwise no point in having such rules - Breach the rules and take the appropriate punishments as the PL deem fit 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter