Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Rocker said:

If ever City are going to win the CL, it has to be this year. They will hardly ever get a better chance. 
    I respectfully disagree, I think they still have many years at the top, the surprise is that they haven't already won it yet. 

Personally I'm hoping that Pep calls it a day after winning the CL, and the next few City managers are less effective ....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    axisus said:
    Rocker said:

If ever City are going to win the CL, it has to be this year. They will hardly ever get a better chance. 
    I respectfully disagree, I think they still have many years at the top, the surprise is that they haven't already won it yet. 

Personally I'm hoping that Pep calls it a day after winning the CL, and the next few City managers are less effective ....
    Agreed, they won’t be stopped until the 100+ charges over exceeding FFP targets gets enforced, which the FA don’t seem to want to do to their golden cash cow.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    mrkb said:
    axisus said:
    Rocker said:

Agreed, they won’t be stopped until the 100+ charges over exceeding FFP targets gets enforced, which the FA don’t seem to want to do to their golden cash cow.
    maybe that prompts the FA to do something.... if City start monopolising the Champions League then the European big guns like Real, Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona, PSG (all hardly sining examples of FFP) may get on. UEFAs back to pressure the FA
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Garold86 said:
    @sev112 COYI!!!!!!

⚒️ COYI ⚒️
    Let's goooooo!!!!!! European cup semi final twice in a row. What a time to be a West Ham fan!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @sev112 COYI!!!!!!
    Good luck tonight and hope you make it to the final - But no good luck from me for Sunday 
    Thanks mate. I don't care about the league anymore. I'd give my left nut to win this cup!
  • Garold86Garold86 Frets: 117
    Garold86 said:
    @sev112 COYI!!!!!!

⚒️ COYI ⚒️
    Let's goooooo!!!!!! European cup semi final twice in a row. What a time to be a West Ham fan!
    I just don't like this feeling of being the favourite. When has that ever gone well for us?
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    RobDavies said:
    mrkb said:
    Very weird timing on the Ivan Toney betting ban, 8 months that’s  only really 4 and a bit of the actual season due to summer break. They should do bans in number of games not months.
    Unless they've already taken that into account and that the 8 months covers the amount of time they wanted to ban him for (ie kind of a six month ban from playing, but 8 in total due to break). He's obviously going to miss a proper preseason with the team and although he can train with them again from mid September, they'll be on a different regime by then so it'll be a challenge keeping him in the right condition to hit the ground running in January. 

On the other hand, presumably it makes it less likely that a bigger club comes in for him this summer if they know he can't play until January and will have a stunted preseason?
    There are strong rumours around that ‘a club’ will buy Toney in the summer, and suck up the ban themselves - meaning that Ivan can start training with his new club in September and be ready to go in January. 
    What are the odds on that?
    Asking for a friend...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    I’m well into the red wine (claret)  so I’ll either be happy or merry whatever the outcome 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Hopefully you don’t make it, so you might at least try against Leeds at the weekend. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Yeah but that was always my worry, that we would be distracted in our last 2;games against Leeds and Leicester - 2 6 point games.  Our draw against Arsenal and the win vs Man Utd we’re absolute godsends for us,  
    haven’t got a clue when the final is - presumably after school one evening 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    COME ON THE OWLS!!!!!
    I play at my dining room table.
    Incredible scenes at Hillsborough
    edited May 2023
    What a win!!!!! Come on!!!! What sceeeeeenes in East London!!!! 
    What a win!!!!! Come on!!!! What sceeeeeens in East London!!!! 
    Fucksake 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited May 2023 tFB Trader
    What a win!!!!! Come on!!!! What sceeeeeenes in East London!!!! 
    well done - When and where is the final + will you go
  • Garold86Garold86 Frets: 117
    7th June in Prague. Not a chance of a ticket as only a 20k stadium with 5k for each set of fans.

Oh and Pablo Fornals, if I didn't love you enough already...
    edited May 2023
    Shocking scenes here with the AZ Ultras invading the players family stand. Good on Benny for defending them.

Garold86 said:
    7th June in Prague. Not a chance of a ticket as only a 20k stadium with 5k for each set of fans.

Oh and Pablo Fornals, if I didn't love you enough already...
    The tickets are long gone mate. Apparently there will be a fan zone opened at the Olympic for the final. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Deadman said:
    COME ON THE OWLS!!!!!
    there's only one Big Dave!!!

Absolutely chuffed to bits for him for that result, and for you guys in general by association of course.
    Deadman said:
    COME ON THE OWLS!!!!!
    there's only one Big Dave!!!

Absolutely chuffed to bits for him for that result, and for you guys in general by association of course.
    I’m just a lowly Darlington fan bud, but how good was that?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Deadman said:
    COME ON THE OWLS!!!!!
    What a weird pastime!?!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Well done to the Irons last night. 

My best mate is a Hammers fan so I have a soft spot for them. 

Hope you finish the job in Prague. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Deadman said:
    COME ON THE OWLS!!!!!
    Well I don't think anyone saw that coming - Just goes to show that you never give up - Well done 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    mrkb said:
    Deadman said:
    COME ON THE OWLS!!!!!
    What a weird pastime!?!
    Like the Sunderland man and the seagull.....

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Shocking scenes here with the AZ Ultras invading the players family stand. Good on Benny for defending them.

Terrible really, but word is that the WHU fans were throwing stuff at the AZ players families last week.

Think they’ll need to tread very carefully in Prague… Fiorentina fans are nuts, and the locals don’t mess about either. 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    RobDavies said:

Terrible really, but word is that the WHU fans were throwing stuff at the AZ players families last week.

Think they’ll need to tread very carefully in Prague… Fiorentina fans are nuts, and the locals don’t mess about either. 
    I've seen some footage from AZ fan vlog where you can see all kind of stuff being thrown after WHU goal. That being said both teams' fans were loud and insulting each other throughout the game so it's the usual sore looser ultras stuff really. 
    I'm Europe it can get quote spicy, which fans here don't realise sometimes...
    RobDavies said:

Think they’ll need to tread very carefully in Prague… Italian Football fans are nuts, and the locals don’t mess about either. 
    Fixed that for you. 

Bonkers scenes at the end of the game really. 

I've got no beef with West Ham, so it's always nice to see English teams succeed in Europe...but I'm begging they don't roll over for Leeds on Sunday. It's all I ask. I'll even learn the words to the Bubbles song if they take all 3 points from them. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    For those of us of a certain age the concept if West Ham fans complaining about opposition fans' violence brings a faint smile.

ICF? 
    edited May 2023
    scrumhalf said:
    For those of us of a certain age the concept if West Ham fans complaining about opposition fans' violence brings a faint smile.

ICF? 
    West Ham are barely any trouble now. There are worse fans. You can hardly compare our fans of today, who are mostly well behaved, to a team with an organised Ultra contingency invading the family section of opposing supporters. Lots of teams had hardcore firms, West Ham aren't special in this case but it's very much in the distant past now. 

And these hooligans were being moved along all around the city by the police. They were looking for a fight. Fans have reported that they were told not to go to bars, not to be outside the fan zone. People I know who went told me that bars were not going to serve English fans not because of them, but because of the AZ hooligans. A bit of tit for tat is normal, this was not.

That video of these two guys holding of dozens of them off though... 

And this video of them celebrating! Massive! 

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    I don't follow football much, but for as long as I can remember, when I started watching, late 80s into 90s, the play off semi finals and finals have always been extremely entertaining. Real cup final stuff. Maybe it's the 2 legs in the semis that make it so entertaining. Yeah, you can see stuff happen in lower leagues where you'd think "that wouldn't happen at top level", but it is what it is.