Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Let's not forget that Luton have been in the top division before so plenty of big teams have already been to Kenilworth Road.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited May 2023
    S56035 said:
    Let's not forget that Luton have been in the top division before so plenty of big teams have already been to Kenilworth Road.
    Yes but football didn't really exist before 1992, according to Sky et al
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    S56035 said:
    Indeed. 1982/83 last day of the season vs Man City.... loser  relegated. David Pleat, etc... :(

Still, we're playing Real Madrid tonight in the semi-final of the Champions League....so it turned out alright....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Very weird timing on the Ivan Toney betting ban, 8 months that’s  only really 4 and a bit of the actual season due to summer break. They should do bans in number of games not months.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    mrkb said:
    Very weird timing on the Ivan Toney betting ban, 8 months that’s  only really 4 and a bit of the actual season due to summer break. They should do bans in number of games not months.
    I've surprised they didn't backdate it to when he first got caught and claim that in some bizarre sense he's already served the ban.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    edited May 2023
    jellyroll said:
    S56035 said:
    Indeed. 1982/83 last day of the season vs Man City.... loser  relegated. David Pleat, etc...

Still, we're playing Real Madrid tonight in the semi-final of the Champions League....so it turned out alright....
    And the whole country will be praying for the right result.

Vamos!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Philly_Q said:
    mrkb said:
    I've surprised they didn't backdate it to when he first got caught and claim that in some bizarre sense he's already served the ban.
    They got it sorted in time to make sure he didn’t play against Man City in a few weeks.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    joneve said:
    RobDavies said:
    Luton were slightly fortunate that Sunderland are so terrible, and completely toothless in attack.  Could be a laugh seeing Kenilworth Road in the Prem. 
    I was always gutted that Griffin Park didn’t get one season in the top division…seeing the likes of Ronaldo and Salah having to change in a 12x12 room with one lav and some bogeys on the wall would have been a ‘great leveller’. 
    Whilst it would, I'd put money on them going straight back down, given that £10-£15m will need to be spent on the ground to get it up to scratch for the Premier League (upgraded floodlights, VAR etc), which (I assume) will come out of their precious transfer budget.
    I'm certain that they will go back down to be honest, but as long as they don't go stupid borrowing loads of money to try and stay up, the Prem cash injection will be amazing towards getting the new stadium on the way. The money will be so good for us, plus those parachute payments. And it will be nice to see orange shirts in the Prem for a change!
    mrkb said:
    It's insane that it took 7 months to reach a decision!

The thing I find strange is that surely he has a gambling problem, are they actually helping him there or just beating him with a stick!?!
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    S56035 said:
    Yep.  Been there many times as an away fan myself.   All those big teams visited Kenilworth Rd when their own grounds were similar in structure and there were no fancy dans on 250k per week, walking about with their Luis Vuitton man bags.  
    edited May 2023
    mrkb said:
    With all due respect.  Get to fuck.  

;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    mrkb said:
    Yea very strange decision. Should just start from now, be in stasis at the end of the season, and then continue from the first game of the new season. Is he even allowed to train with his team? He's meant to refrain from ALL football activity.
    Man City though. Absolutely incredible team.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Forest managed to get a point off them, they can’t be all that mate. :) 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    I have a real problem with the ownership but that aside I am always bought British clubs in Europe because well why not…?

Man City first half was probably the most complete domination I have ever seen at that level. Incredible thoroughly deserved.  
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    And a little post about Coventry City. Incredible story to be within one go up in the premiership. They don’t remotely look like a good premiership side to me but hey who knows.  First few games in the bottom two then here they are near the elite teams. Well done!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    Any team dishing out paddlings to Real Madrid is alright by me. 
    mrkb said:
    Yea very strange decision. Should just start from now, be in stasis at the end of the season, and then continue from the first game of the new season. Is he even allowed to train with his team? He's meant to refrain from ALL football activity.
    He can start training again in September.  The club has known this was coming for a long time so I’m sure plans will have been put in place ages ago. 

It’s far from ideal, but not the complete disaster that everyone else seems to think it is for the club.   Ivan has missed three games this season and we took seven points from a possible nine from those.  
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    rze99 said:
    And a little post about Coventry City. Incredible story to be within one go up in the premiership. They don’t remotely look like a good premiership side to me but hey who knows.  First few games in the bottom two then here they are near the elite teams. Well done!
    Crazy season as we were both at the bottom of the league early doors.... Devastated not to make the final but our form dropped off really badly at the end of the season, couldn't win a raffle at the mo. Fair play to Cov, cheering for Luton in the final though, us shitholes have to stick together :) ;)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Great stuff from Man City, should be a great final.

They must be glad they're not playing us, Spurs, in the final. I wonder how the hell we've managed to take so many points off them. 
    I don't like City winning stuff, but i have to hand it to them, a great team right now, they deserve whatever they win. I love to see Real getting their ass handed to them. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Sublime team performance last night by City 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    For the neutral, I thought it was a disappointing match last night - more of a display.

I was expecting RM to do their thing of snatching a 1-0 win against the run of play, etc.  Courtois did his best, but there were a few RM players who really didn't need to have been on the pitch for all they contributed.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    mrkb said:
    Unless they've already taken that into account and that the 8 months covers the amount of time they wanted to ban him for (ie kind of a six month ban from playing, but 8 in total due to break). He's obviously going to miss a proper preseason with the team and although he can train with them again from mid September, they'll be on a different regime by then so it'll be a challenge keeping him in the right condition to hit the ground running in January. 

On the other hand, presumably it makes it less likely that a bigger club comes in for him this summer if they know he can't play until January and will have a stunted preseason?
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    Wow. City were great last night totally swept aside Real Madrid. For us to push them til now for the title isn't a fluke. Still short of properly competing with them but I'm sure there'll be an overhaul in the summer transfer market.
    edited May 2023
    @sev112 COYI!!!!!!

image.png 137.8K
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Somehow City made a football player out of Jack Grealish. Before he joined City he played like Raheem Sterling. All action but minimal effect on the game. The City coaches did a great job there. Grealish is now worth close to what he cost the club. 

But Haaland is and remains a class act. With the ball he is lethal. Without it he is even more effective as he pulls defenders all over the place. Thus creating spaces for his quality teammates. 

If ever City are going to win the CL, it has to be this year. They will hardly ever get a better chance. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

mrkb said:
    Unless they've already taken that into account and that the 8 months covers the amount of time they wanted to ban him for (ie kind of a six month ban from playing, but 8 in total due to break). He's obviously going to miss a proper preseason with the team and although he can train with them again from mid September, they'll be on a different regime by then so it'll be a challenge keeping him in the right condition to hit the ground running in January. 

On the other hand, presumably it makes it less likely that a bigger club comes in for him this summer if they know he can't play until January and will have a stunted preseason?
    There are strong rumours around that ‘a club’ will buy Toney in the summer, and suck up the ban themselves - meaning that Ivan can start training with his new club in September and be ready to go in January. 
  • Garold86Garold86 Frets: 117
    @sev112 COYI!!!!!!

⚒️ COYI ⚒️
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    @sev112 COYI!!!!!!

Good luck tonight and hope you make it to the final - But no good luck from me for Sunday