Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    Deadman said:
    joneve said:
    Derby bottling the playoffs on the final day has been a highlight of my day.

Who do you follow Jon? My Owl mates are annoyed at losing to FGR now!
    Nottingham Forest mate. Hope Wednesday go up to be fair. 
    Yes that has ruined Derby's dream of a promotion for them and relegation for you and me - We might be enemies but we share a common enemy as well

To be fair I wanted them to get to the play offs - Get to Wembley then fail - Hurts more !!!!!!!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    sev112 said:
    COYI!!!! 
    God yeah, I have zero fingernails left now
    and I still disagree that 37 is guaranteed enough.  Our games in hand have gone now.

but I was not expecting a win today, perhaps a draw .  So that is a fab bonus and I though our front 5 were excellent

ive been dreading needing points against Leicester and Leeds who would want points too
    Mathematically 37 might not be safe, but looking at other fixtures and form then it would not surprise if 33/34 points gets you safe now - A win for Soton today and suddenly they are not as down as many state 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Yes, I do believe one of those bottom teams could win 3 when they need to and others don’t .  Then I could see one more of them winning 2 and then going to the last game when we all play each other. 
    Always stressful following West Ham :) 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Everton playing like world beaters . Let’s hope they play this well next week too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I didn’t see this coming, will see what the 2nd half brings.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Strangely really pleased to see my team West Brom lose today against Swansea, and to lose out on the playoffs (wouldn't have made it anyway as Sunderland won). I was especially pleased to see them bottle it twice, being 0-1, then 1-2, then for the ultimate finale, pissing it straight up the wall by losing 3-2. Bunch of absolute clowns from top to bottom in that club and really only the manager, keeper, and a few midfielders I'd be happy to see at the club again in August. Sadly a clearout isn't really possible because who is going to want those players?

I'm hoping for some good teams to come down and come up into the championship for next season, in the hope that we at least see some good football for a change, whilst on the road to administration. Hoping to just enjoy the matches as a football fan and not as a West Brom fan
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CharlieShawCharlieShaw Frets: 347
    edited May 2023
    Glad millwall buggered it up anyway. They’ve awful to play in the playoffs away. If they lose there’s a riot if they win it’s probably due to the ref trying to avoid one! If Luton thought town fans were bad they wouldn’t have wanted to play Millwall.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Glad millwall buggered it up anyway. They’ve awful to play in the playoffs away. If they lose there’s a riot if they win it’s probably due to the ref trying to avoid one!
    It would've been interesting to host them at the London so I'm disappointed in that regard, but happy that they also didn't get promoted. :)

Millwall were by far the worst team we played at home in the playoff mix - cynical tactics, poor on the ball, and persistently crowding around the ref or smaller players at every opportunity like little school boy bullies.

Sunderland were probably the best side in the mix that we played at home, a probably footballing team who tried to win the game and were much the more skillful side.

Good luck to all the teams involved
    tFB Trader
    Wow - You'd have thought Brighton were the team in the relegation zone -Everton were excellent, even electric in the first half - Brighton totally woeful and devoid of energy and ideas 

and 5 goals certainly helps the much needed goal difference - Well done Everton
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    Nipped out for a couple of beers today - Rams fans moaning about that sending off and penalty - Then a couple of fans made out they are to good for that division - I dare say Sheff Wed, Bolton and Ipswich for starters could say that - And it wasn't to long ago that Leeds and Forest were in that league - So not sure who the hell they think they are 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Did NOT see that result coming, fully deserved possibly the best Everton performance this season. 3 big points 
    You never seem to know what you’re going to get with Brighton.
    edited May 2023
    joneve said:
    Nipped out for a couple of beers today - Rams fans moaning about that sending off and penalty - Then a couple of fans made out they are to good for that division - I dare say Sheff Wed, Bolton and Ipswich for starters could say that - And it wasn't to long ago that Leeds and Forest were in that league - So not sure who the hell they think they are 
    I suspect Sheff Wed fans do say that quite often. They use to say that in the championship. They’re not jokingly called ‘massive’ for nothing.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    Wow - You'd have thought Brighton were the team in the relegation zone -Everton were excellent, even electric in the first half - Brighton totally woeful and devoid of energy and ideas 

and 5 goals certainly helps the much needed goal difference - Well done Everton
    Yes. Well done Everton and R.I.P. all my bets today :(
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I don’t think even the most die hard Everton fan would foresee 5 goals away at Brighton today.  It totally ruined 3 Brighton players I have in my FF team.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    What a round of games earlier! We need that kinda Everton vs City! (not that Brighton we saw today though).
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Good game at forest tonight too - really good afternoon / evening in front of the Telly so far 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    Strangely really pleased to see my team West Brom lose today against Swansea, and to lose out on the playoffs (wouldn't have made it anyway as Sunderland won). I was especially pleased to see them bottle it twice, being 0-1, then 1-2, then for the ultimate finale, pissing it straight up the wall by losing 3-2. Bunch of absolute clowns from top to bottom in that club and really only the manager, keeper, and a few midfielders I'd be happy to see at the club again in August. Sadly a clearout isn't really possible because who is going to want those players?

I'm hoping for some good teams to come down and come up into the championship for next season, in the hope that we at least see some good football for a change, whilst on the road to administration. Hoping to just enjoy the matches as a football fan and not as a West Brom fan
    While there's a lot to fix I'd ask you to look at a) where we were when Carlos took over and b) the injury list. We're a pessimistic fanbase generally but you take it to a new level :) 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited May 2023

While there's a lot to fix I'd ask you to look at a) where we were when Carlos took over and b) the injury list. We're a pessimistic fanbase generally but you take it to a new level  
    From a Swansea perspective I was just glad to end this season on a good unbeaten run.  No doubt several of the better players will be off in the summer, so it could easily be a relegation battle next season.

While there's a lot to fix I'd ask you to look at a) where we were when Carlos took over and b) the injury list. We're a pessimistic fanbase generally but you take it to a new level :) 
    The position under Bruce is exactly the kind of example of how bad the club is at the moment - the fact they employed him, and kept him there that long, is proof in itself. We didn't have any injury list at that time as far as I recall, only Fragile Dike I think? The players who were capable of reaching the bottom of the league are largely the same ones who, despite several kicks up the arse from Corberan, have basically bottled it time and time again. Weak minded loser mentality throughout the club, on big wages so no motivation to go up as they'd lose their place in the team and probably try to move them on. Bunch of absolute mercenaries
    tFB Trader
    what a goal fest yesterday amongst the relegation zone teams  - 21 goals in 3 games - Even Harland can't match that 

But, that was not a penalty - Forest v Soton for Forest - If anything it is a free kick the other way - strange one that IMO

So is that it not in the relegation zone or do we still have any twists and turns - Interesting that Leeds and Leicester are now both in the relegation zone and for the record, they both went down together in 2004 - Are the stars aligned again in the same pattern ?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Absolutely crazy at the bottom this year! Still can't tell who's going down (with Southampton)
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    what a goal fest yesterday amongst the relegation zone teams  - 21 goals in 3 games - Even Harland can't match that 

But, that was not a penalty - Forest v Soton for Forest - If anything it is a free kick the other way - strange one that IMO

So is that it not in the relegation zone or do we still have any twists and turns - Interesting that Leeds and Leicester are now both in the relegation zone and for the record, they both went down together in 2004 - Are the stars aligned again in the same pattern ?
    Was soft, but Maitland-Niles absolutely walloped the back of Johnson's foot after he got the ball. The fact he didn't know he was coming up behind him so quickly is neither here nor there. Almost balances out the non-penalty we didn't get for Maguire's blatant handball a few weeks ago...and Southampton got a really soft one too. 

I think I aged about 15 years in 90 minutes last night...Fucking hell...so stressful. :D 

Danilo is a special, special player. He's going to be vital these last 3 games.

Absolutely cacked my pants every time the ball was a Ward-Prowse's feet. Our set piece defending is absolute Sunday league. Doesn't help when you've only got one healthy RB and Joe Worrall has to step in there (although he did a fine job!). Also, as big a fan as I am of Navas (and he's our best option right now), he does seem to be having at least one howler a game which is costing us more often than not. It can't help having a revolving door of defenders due to injuries, so I do have some sympathy. 

Taiwo looks back to his best after his long injury lay-off. Hopefully he terrorises Chelsea's CB's for 70 minutes again like he did in Jan. Had he stayed healthy, we'd be clear of relegation already.

VAR ruined the night by ruling Felipe's goal offside....Deserved it for the finish and the celebration alone haha. 

Feeling much better about our chances with the way we've started playing like a team.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Not sure of his name but a pundit on 5 Live last night suggested all 5 of the teams at the bottom should be relegated as they've all been so poor.

Thinking about it, it would add extra drama to the season end (in the Premiership and the Championship) if, in addition to the three automatic relegation slots, any team not getting 40 points went down, with extra teams coming up in their place.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Hattigol said:
    Not sure of his name but a pundit on 5 Live last night suggested all 5 of the teams at the bottom should be relegated as they've all been so poor.

Thinking about it, it would add extra drama to the season end (in the Premiership and the Championship) if, in addition to the three automatic relegation slots, any team not getting 40 points went down, with extra teams coming up in their place.
    Nah, there are never 5 teams worthy of coming up! 3 up 3 down is exactly right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2023 tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:

Inconsistent is a better phrase - yes we've had some poor games and results - But think we are the only team to win at Anfield - Should have beaten Arsenal at home and certainly did not deserve to loose - Ditto Spurs at their place - Did beat Chelsea at home and Man U only got an equaliser towards the end of the game at OT - But the points acquired and position in the league table is always correct 

40 points is tough - Bournemouth don't deserve to go down with 39 points and West Ham will pull thru' and in with a chance of a European final - Not many can say that

But from Bielsa and back to Birmingham again in 3 seasons is not good - But you'll miss us if we go down - Man U v Leeds is a far more exciting proposition for many, than Man U v Coventry or Middlesborough

But if it was Robbie Savage who said it then he is a bell end anyway 
    edited May 2023
    I'd prefer Leeds to stay up purely so we don't have that "We're too big for this" attitude in the championship again!
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:

Was soft, but Maitland-Niles absolutely walloped the back of Johnson's foot after he got the ball. The fact he didn't know he was coming up behind him so quickly is neither here nor there. Almost balances out the non-penalty we didn't get for Maguire's blatant handball a few weeks ago...and Southampton got a really soft one too. 

I think I aged about 15 years in 90 minutes last night...Fucking hell...so stressful. :D 

Absolutely cacked my pants every time the ball was a Ward-Prowse's feet. Our set piece defending is absolute Sunday league. Doesn't help when you've only got one healthy RB and Joe Worrall has to step in there (although he did a fine job!). Also, as big a fan as I am of Navas (and he's our best option right now), he does seem to be having at least one howler a game which is costing us more often than not. It can't help having a revolving door of defenders due to injuries, so I do have some sympathy. 

Taiwo looks back to his best after his long injury lay-off. Hopefully he terrorises Chelsea's CB's for 70 minutes again like he did in Jan. Had he stayed healthy, we'd be clear of relegation already.

VAR ruined the night by ruling Felipe's goal offside....Deserved it for the finish and the celebration alone haha. 

Feeling much better about our chances with the way we've started playing like a team.
    There is always a case of it levels itself up throughout the season - But no one actually had the ball, certainly in control of it - it wasn't a tackle as such - M Niles was about to clear the ball and as he swung his foot back he had a clear sign of sight thru' to the ball - Then from behind Johnson put his foot in between the ball (without touching it) and the swinging foot of M-N who is about to clear it - I agree he caught Johnson but it was never Johnson's ball based on were he lunged for it - I don't think it was soft, just think it wasn't at all 

But a great game to watch as some form of neutral with interest in the outcome - We are not out of it but getting more and more doubtful 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    edited May 2023
    joneve said:

I think I aged about 15 years in 90 minutes last night...Fucking hell...so stressful. D 

There is always a case of it levels itself up throughout the season - But no one actually had the ball, certainly in control of it - it wasn't a tackle as such - M Niles was about to clear the ball and as he swung his foot back he had a clear sign of sight thru' to the ball - Then from behind Johnson put his foot in between the ball (without touching it) and the swinging foot of M-N who is about to clear it - I agree he caught Johnson but it was never Johnson's ball based on were he lunged for it - I don't think it was soft, just think it wasn't at all 

But a great game to watch as some form of neutral with interest in the outcome - We are not out of it but getting more and more doubtful 
    I'd agree with what you said, except Johnson did get a touch on the ball before being kicked by M-Niles...which is why I think it was given. 

And yea, looks bleak for Leeds and Leicester and we're certainly not out the woods yet (neither are Everton if yesterday was a one off) - but any points at this stage are massive.