Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Personal opinion time ...

For me, Arsenal's season will be a fail if they don't win the Prem. If at the start you said they would come second that would have been an instant success after previous seasons, however, to be so far ahead and then blow it is definitely a fail to me. Sorry Arsenal fans. Likewise, Liverpool won two trophies last year, normally that would be instant 'win', however, they were in for four at the sharp end of the season and lost the big two. Another ultimate fail. Maybe others think I'm being harsh, but I think this was Arsenal's one big tilt at the Prem, I think they may not even be top 4 next year. I'me expecting a very competitive league next season at the top.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    edited May 2023
    The worst I've ever seen they play this season. Never got going and didn't really look like recovering. Players burnt out and lack of defensive depth has cost us in losing Saliba and Tomiyasu. Was our best chance to win it, even if we sign 6 new players this summer (2 defenders, 2 midfielders and 2 forwards) its going to be very tough next season to challenge.

Have to hand it to Brighton though they were great today. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    TTony said:

Spurs are sixth
    I’d bet, not for long.
    ;)
    As I said …..
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    The worst I've ever seen they play this season. Never got going and didn't really look like recovering. Players burnt out and lack of defensive depth has cost us in losing Saliba and Tomiyasu. Was our best chance to win it, even if we sign 6 new players this summer (2 defenders, 2 midfielders and 2 forwards) its going to be very tough next season to challenge.

Hopefully you stroll into the City Ground dejected and burnt out next week. :) 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    Massive point at the bridge today. Should have and could have been 3, but finally picking points up away from home is huge. A shock win at home against Arsenal next week will confirm our safety, but I have a feeling we’ll have to go to Palace to get a win 
    crazy and obviously out of our control - But 2 more points from 2 games might be enough - Yet 6 points from 2 games might not be enough 
    I’m convinced 3 points will be more than enough. 
    Sorry - I was coming at it from our angle

Agree for you 3 points might be enough - But looking at these last 2 rounds of games, then all options are possible
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader

Agree it all looked flat and docile today - That zip was missing - Yet sometimes you can look at it one way in that Arsenal lacked that zip - Yet the other way is saying that Brighton stifled Arsenal and ensure the spark could not be created 

Frustrating I know - Yet before the season started you'd have snapped your hand off to be in the position you are in, with a return to some promise and potential
  • midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 80
    First visit to Wembley yesterday with laddo for the national league play off final. We won finally returning to the football league after 4 years in the national league. We didn’t make it easy for ourselves. Been supporting notts county since 1976 but the last 4 years have been testing …though funnily enough not without entertainment- often a large travelling away following to strange outposts of football
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    joneve said:

Hopefully you stroll into the City Ground dejected and burnt out next week. :) 
    Ha the boss needs to change the team esp upfront. Saka seems to be immune to being subbed off. I don't know what's happened to him since the international break. I thought Nelson did alright when he came on so he should get a start. 

Agree it all looked flat and docile today - That zip was missing - Yet sometimes you can look at it one way in that Arsenal lacked that zip - Yet the other way is saying that Brighton stifled Arsenal and ensure the spark could not be created 

Frustrating I know - Yet before the season started you'd have snapped your hand off to be in the position you are in, with a return to some promise and potential
    Just feels like we've run out of steam at the crucial point in the season and don't have the experience to get over the line. City have been there and done it so many times they know how to do it.

But yes I've have taken 2nd place and still being up there with 3-4 games to go pushing City at the beginning of the season.

"It's the hope that kills you" they say.
    tFB Trader
    First visit to Wembley yesterday with laddo for the national league play off final. We won finally returning to the football league after 4 years in the national league. We didn’t make it easy for ourselves. Been supporting notts county since 1976 but the last 4 years have been testing …though funnily enough not without entertainment- often a large travelling away following to strange outposts of football
    Shows what true fans/supporters is all about - Watching a big glory club is fine and many of us do so in one form or another, in one sport or another - But grass roots and lower leagues are vital to the whole aspect of any game 

Great to visit Wembley - Great you can go with your lad and have a day out together - I go with my daughter quite often, to Leeds and I feel as though I've already won, as we get to spend time together - And that is just the start off a 90 min journey, each way, to do - Something to bond with eh ?? - Makes it even better though when you win - Sure you'll remember it for many years and good luck for the future
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Yesterday vs Brighton was a painful watch. All credit to Brighton who were on it from the 1st minute. Arsenal didn't turn up. Mitoma is some player. 
    That must have been a cracking day. Well done. I was pleased to see you lot get promoted. It wouldn't have been fair to lose out after the season you've had.. Good luck in League 2. I'm a season ticket holder at Dorking Wanderers. Hopefully we can kick on from this year. Been a steep learning curve in the NL. But we had a strong end to the season and look more like we belong now. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

Must have been incredible to witness such drama in person, bet you were absolutely buzzing when that winning pen went in! As a Forest fan, I was genuinely happy to see you go up (as were a lot of other Forest supporting people I know). Nothing but good for the city, but there's still some weird, bitter county fans who are trying to generate a rivalry which doesn't really exist any more. 
    CHRISB50 said:
    Yesterday vs Brighton was a painful watch. All credit to Brighton who were on it from the 1st minute. Arsenal didn't turn up. Mitoma is some player. 

He had the beating of Ben White everytime down that side. Was worried everytime he got the ball one on one. Kiwior was stupid to go down relying on VAR to try to give a foul for the first goal. Worrying to see Martinelli in a protective boot as well after the game. Hope he plays again this season.
    CHRISB50 said:

He had the beating of Ben White everytime down that side. Was worried everytime he got the ball one on one. Kiwior was stupid to go down relying on VAR to try to give a foul for the first goal. Worrying to see Martinelli in a protective boot as well after the game. Hope he plays again this season.
    He should probably sit out next week though, just as a precaution :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    joneve said:
    CHRISB50 said:

He should probably sit out next week though, just as a precaution :) 
    He can sit on the bench!
    CHRISB50 said:

Yeah, he skinned Benny Blanco all afternoon. 

Not sure what Kiwior was playing at. Hopefully not to be repeated. 

Caicedo absolutely clattered Martinelli. Like you, hope he’s back ASAP. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

Dear Liverpool, 

Don't be dickheads tonight

Sincerely,
    All the relegation threatened teams, except Leicester.
    CHRISB50 said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Maybe Caicedo's way of auditioning and introducing himself as a future team mate next season. He did say sorry afterwards! 

Martinelli was lucky not to get a card when he fouled Mitoma minutes earlier.
    CHRISB50 said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Maybe Caicedo's way of auditioning and introducing himself as a future team mate next season. He did say sorry afterwards! 

Haha. Caicedo, how to win friends, eh. Apparently Martinelli should be OK. Quite vague but that's what the physio has said.

His challenge on Mitoma was nasty. Surprised he didn’t knock Mitoma out.

• AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1658
    CHRISB50 said:

Amazing that Martinelli didn't even get booked. I thought it was touch and go between yellow and red.
    edited May 2023 tFB Trader
    Congrats to our U21 junior academy team - Play off winners last night - 3-0 - So now back in the Premier League 2 top flight 'academy' league - Not a bad achievement when you see that at least 4 of our better 'prospects' were out on loan 

Just wished the Leeds first team was on course for a better season

U21 team includes Archie Gray (Son of Andy Gray) - Frankie Gray's grandson, so Eddie Gray is his great uncle - That's 4 members of the Gray family that have played for Leeds

I know we've had a few father + son combinations at various clubs over the years but can anyone else think of a son, father, grand father + great uncle (or similar, over what 60 years or so)
    edited May 2023 tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^ Jackie Milburn + Bobby and Jack Charlton is a good famous combination - But that is only 3 members of the family - So need a foursome to match the Gray family 
    edited May 2023
    Congrats to our U21 junior academy team - Play off winners last night - 3-0 - So now back in the Premier League 2 top flight 'academy' league - Not a bad achievement when you see that at least 4 of our better 'prospects' were out on loan 

Just wished the Leeds first team was on course for a better season

U21 team includes Archie Gray (Son of Andy Gray) - Frankie Gray's grandson, so Eddie Gray is his great uncle - That's 4 members of the Gray family that have played for Leeds

I know we've had a few father + son combinations at various clubs over the years but can anyone else think of a son, father, grand father + great uncle (or similar, over what 60 years or so)
    Didn't your record signing lace up for them last night? Bit like when Michael Owen boasted about scoring a goal against a 17 year old on TV D 

We should have given Gibbs-White a call to see if he fancied a run around. 

But yes, congrats and all that.  
    CHRISB50 said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Haha. Caicedo, how to win friends, eh. Apparently Martinelli should be OK. Quite vague but that's what the physio has said.

I think he played well at RB. Wouldn't say no to taking him here next season. At least we know if anyone kicks Martinelli he'll get them back!

Not paying over £50m for Rice though. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Told you Luton would win!! Still if we beat Cov I'd sooner have played the Mac'ems than you guys. Farrrrrrkkkkkk :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Go Luton!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure we will fail, but .... touching distance to the Prem .... amazing ....
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Great result for Luton, genuinely pleased to see an unlikely team doing well. I don't remember much about Luton at home for my club (West Brom) but Sunderland were probably the best side we played against all season at home - then after the match realised we weren't even playing against the typical first team, it was mostly reserves and young players because of injuries! Ouch. But a great result for you guys and the play off final will be a brilliant day out regardless of the result really. Great atmosphere there.

I'm probably expecting Boro to win tonight but who knows, the whole season has been up and down and play offs add an extra layer of unpredictability. I've no beef with Coventry, they aren't really local enough to be a rival as such, so good luck to both teams and may the best side win

tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    Go Luton!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure we will fail, but .... touching distance to the Prem .... amazing ....
    I bet Eric Morecambe would be loving it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Luton were slightly fortunate that Sunderland are so terrible, and completely toothless in attack.  Could be a laugh seeing Kenilworth Road in the Prem. 
    I was always gutted that Griffin Park didn’t get one season in the top division…seeing the likes of Ronaldo and Salah having to change in a 12x12 room with one lav and some bogeys on the wall would have been a ‘great leveller’. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    RobDavies said:
    Luton were slightly fortunate that Sunderland are so terrible, and completely toothless in attack.  Could be a laugh seeing Kenilworth Road in the Prem. 
    I was always gutted that Griffin Park didn’t get one season in the top division…seeing the likes of Ronaldo and Salah having to change in a 12x12 room with one lav and some bogeys on the wall would have been a ‘great leveller’. 
    Whilst it would, I'd put money on them going straight back down, given that £10-£15m will need to be spent on the ground to get it up to scratch for the Premier League (upgraded floodlights, VAR etc), which (I assume) will come out of their precious transfer budget.