Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4008
    TTony said:
    joeyowen said:

However, the leaks at the stadium which took literally years to resolve are an issue.  Also look at City's training/youth development areas.  I know there is a sports washing debate, but a club of ManUtds stature, could and should be doing more.  City are looking at a stadium expansion too.  Man Utd as an infrastructure hasn't moved in a decade
    Over the past few seasons, ManU chose to spend their cash on the players rather than the stadium/facilities.

Spurs spent theirs on the stadium/facilities rather than players.

Neither did particularly well in choosing managers or building teams.  
    :(

What is sheer madness is you get the choice, Jack Greilish (spelling?), or this:  I know footballers are expensive, but this puts it into perspective

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    It gives you some visibility of the lack of perspective that (some) fans have that owners who have seen their club win 12 trophies and whose lowest league position is 7th in the Premier League are even being mentioned as candidates for "worst owners ever". 

Its an absolutely laughable assertion. 
    'worst owners ever' doesn't really have a definition and like I said it really depends on what metric you are using to assess.

By the metric I mentioned, which is how much have they syphoned from the club, they are certainly top of the list.
    They have taken more from a football club than any other owner, whilst at the same time invested hardly anything into infrastructure.  

We are in a privileged position compared to most clubs, most fans realise that, but that doesn't mean the Glazers have been anything but bad owners, it's just masked by the massive commercial position of the club.
    "worst owners ever" has enough of a definition to absolutely and unequivocally remove the Glazers from the discussion. 

Are they particularly great owners? No. 

Is "the worst owners ever" ridiculous hyperbole and a complete loss of perspective? Absolutely. 
    True and to be fair I wouldn't call them the worst owners ever.  Blackpool, Rangers, Pourtmouth, Leeds have seen far worse.

I'd be more factual and just say they are the owners that have taken the most out of a club in football history.

Their net impact has been negative, their tenure parasitic, but they no doubt run the business side better than many other owners.  I mean Mike Ashley took a lot of out Newcastle, not as much as the Glazers took out of United, but that's just because there was significantly less cream to skim off.

A few years old but quite interesting:-

How Much Premier League Owners Have Given Their Clubs Has Been Revealed - SPORTbible

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    So Orta has gone - ditto Gracia - But hard to agree with big Sam coming in for 3/4 games - What a mess - No forward thinking 

Orta has taken most of the recent dissent from the fans as 'director of football' - Plus points are obviously bringing in Bielsa - But was that him, or the board asking him to look after the appropriate package etc after he was asked to join LUFC - But Gnonto and the likes of Raphinha, at such prices, have been a good move after Orta identified them  - Made a good profit on Raph and Gnonto will be a great profit as/when - But a few disasters in their as well 

Credit to the likes of Brighton + Fulham + Brentford for getting so much right with forward thinking policies - And we get so much wrong - From the re-build and joy of Bielsa to potential downfall in 4-5 seasons - Certainly frustrating - But I'll still be there, as always 
    Hopefully the Leeds car crash continues and they carry on leaking goals and not picking up points for the final 4 games. One less team to contend with. 

I've never been so fucking stressed out about anything in my life :D 
    Looking at the remaining fixtures then Forest v Soton is the big one and probably your chance of survival - Looking at other fixtures, it is possible that Leicester, Everton and Leeds only get another point at best - I think 33 points might now get you survival - It certainly looks like goal difference and a last day will come into play for 3/5 clubs

As far as the EFL goes I think they would love to see a combination of any of those 5 clubs going down - It will certainly boost their Sky viewing figures, which have sunk in the last 2 years or so - Leeds v Leicester, or Everton, or Forest will see a far larger viewing audience than at least 10 PL teams playing each other - But as always you league position never lies and you are where you deserve to be following your on pitch performances/results

I think Soton are down - so 2 big clubs to go with them - Everton, Leicester, Leeds, Forest can't all survive
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CharlieShawCharlieShaw Frets: 347
    Big clubs bollocks! It’s an shame all five can’t go down. Five up five down would lead to a more interesting league. Sod the viewing figures. I doubt you’ll be so keen to judge clubs by attendances when the inevitable break away that nearly happened a couple of years ago does go ahead. Because it will. Leeds certainly won’t be in it. They’ve spent most of living memory in the second tier!
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    Chelsea are so shit they might get relegated! And I can't see Lampard in the job for much longer (sacked tomorrow morning?).

Glad we started Trossard, he should have started the last few games. And Partey's been off the boil so good he got dropped to give him a breather. 

Only 9 touches for Aubameyang, 4 of them from kick offs. Hooked at half time. Can't see him staying at the club. Maybe go back to Barca.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Chelsea are so shit they might get relegated! And I can't see Lampard in the job for much longer (sacked tomorrow morning?).

Glad we started Trossard, he should have started the last few games. And Partey's been off the boil so good he got dropped to give him a breather. 

Only 9 touches for Aubameyang, 4 of them from kick offs. Hooked at half time. Can't see him staying at the club. Maybe go back to Barca.
    I don't think they're in any danger of relegation on 39 points, but they're in relegation form, certainly.  Who do they get in if they sack Lampard?  Tony Pulis?

As for Aubameyang, why would Barca want him?  He should be playing in League One.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Philly_Q said:

Who do they get in if they sack Lampard?  Tony Pulis?

Tony Pulis???

This is Chelsea you're talking about here.

They could outbid Leeds for Big Sam.  Easy.

In fact, they'd probably buy a few managers, and keep the rest of them on the bench.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    Philly_Q said:

I don't think they're in any danger of relegation on 39 points, but they're in relegation form, certainly.  Who do they get in if they sack Lampard?  Tony Pulis?

As for Aubameyang, why would Barca want him?  He should be playing in League One.
    Would be funny to see them in the Championship though.

I dunno, he was happy and was doing alright in the 6 months he was there.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    TTony said:
    Philly_Q said:

Who do they get in if they sack Lampard?  Tony Pulis?

Tony Pulis???

This is Chelsea you're talking about here.

They could outbid Leeds for Big Sam.  Easy.

In fact, they'd probably buy a few managers, and keep the rest of them on the bench.
    Big Sam, Pulis, Colin, Harry, Pardew, Sparky, Brucie, Curbs... all the big names queueing up.
    edited May 2023 tFB Trader
    Big Sam eh ? - What the hell can he do in 4 games, against Man City, Newcastle, West Ham and Spurs that can bring about PL survival - Yet I'd probably rather have Sam and go down then have FFL and stay up

For a bit of fun, have you seen Chelsea's last 5 games

Bournemouth away - Bournemouth have a chance to go above Chelsea
    Forest at home - Interesting viewing for those in the relegation zone
    Man City away
    Man Utd away
    Newcastle home

Bournemouth away - Bournemouth have a chance to go above Chelsea
    Forest at home - Interesting viewing for those in the relegation zone
    Man City away
    Man Utd away
    Newcastle home
    Nul point
    (said in a Eurovision accent)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    If Chelsea were just 3pts fewer than their total now....they would have been in real trouble.  With Frank in charge they might just end it with 39pts.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    As much as Lampard is clearly a poor coach this Chelsea team is like a poisoned chalice - morale is so down, too many good players with pressure on them to perform straight away, no team spirit... doomed. 
    I hope we beat them next weekend!

Also - those lasers on Mudryk - utter cuntishness. I get that he'll be hated at Emirates but those pricks with lasers should get a lifetime ban.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    1 more loss, Frank becomes 0-0-7. 

License to get sacked. 

They were really poor last night. 

Indeed BigBearKris no need for that kind of shitty behaviour. Some people need to give their heads a wobble.  

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Frank's mistake was taking two poisoned chalices. Neither Everton nor Chelsea were ever going to work. He's damaged goods now, probably no way back to the Prem again after Chelsea II. Both him and Gerrard have looked poor, just look at what Emery has done with Villa.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    edited May 2023
    Leeds - what a joke club. IT has taken them so long to get back into the top tier and they have made a complete mess of it. 

If we are playing worst owners bingo, I'll throw the Venkys into the ring. Mrs Rao, head Venky and (apparently wealthiest woman in India), when asked what she knew about football replied - "well, I've watched a lot of cricket". 

The Venkys genuinely thought the premier league worked like a franchise, with no relegation. 

We were doing OK under Allardyce, but Steve Keane (another legend) was working behind the scenes, needling to get Allardyce sacked (allegedly). 

Then they appointed that renowned football expert Shebby Singh to be their global adviser. He then oversaw some fantastic managerial appointments such as Michael Appleton and Henning Berg, both of whom got three year deals and we each gone within 70 days, having lost most of their games. The big saviour was then hailed as the legend that is Owen Coyle. A manager who has done more damage to North West football than any other manager! Managed to get (I think) every club relegated. Some achievement.
    For a long period we actually had no executive board either.

At least they saw sense after about 10 years, thank you Tony Mowbray, who looks like he will end up higher than us with Sunderland. More irony.

Football, it's great innit?

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Really, really, really hope Chelsea keep Lampard til next Sunday (or Saturday evening, at a push). Would be nice to have a decent chance at getting our second away win of the season! 

tFB Trader
    Big clubs bollocks! It’s an shame all five can’t go down. Five up five down would lead to a more interesting league. Sod the viewing figures. I doubt you’ll be so keen to judge clubs by attendances when the inevitable break away that nearly happened a couple of years ago does go ahead. Because it will. Leeds certainly won’t be in it. They’ve spent most of living memory in the second tier!
    Big club bollocks - Define big or indeed define what isn't big - Many find this easier to do as it is it often based on hatred for something they don't like

According to the latest listings by Forbes, based on revenue receipts, (not owners assets), then Leeds are in the worlds top 20 football clubs, at #19, after 16 years away from the top flight - Before the relegation from the PL, around 20 years ago, they were in the top 10 - Like them or loathe them, and many are in the 2nd option, it is not a poor brand - It might be poor in other areas, especially now but the brand itself is not small fry

If big is based on honours, so in the last 50/60 years - My life time - Then Derby County are bigger than at least 1/3rd of the current Premier League inc Newcastle - Based on more recent honours then Portsmouth, Wigan, Swansea and Blackburn can match Spurs 

So the term BIG is certainly a distorted phrase

As for Leeds - 5 European Cup finals - 8 semi finals - is not that of a club with out some credible periods - Without checking Google, I bet only Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U can beat that - Man City are not even close - Yet 

But I know our relegation will please many - And who knows, the last game of the season is v Spurs and it could be their greatest achievement, for a few years, if they send us down

But I'll still be there- Watching when I can and supporting always - Saw them play Walsall in the 3rd tier, so not just a 'glory supporter'  
    tFB Trader
    Just a thought

Sacking a manager - should it come with an automatic 5 point deduction if you sack them during the season
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    Really, really, really hope Chelsea keep Lampard til next Sunday (or Saturday evening, at a push). Would be nice to have a decent chance at getting our second away win of the season! 

Just had a coffee with a Forest fan - Looking again at the remaining fixtures, I feel you have the best chance of survival - I think 33 points will be enough - Key games are of course Soton + Chelsea - On paper all games are tough and apart from us playing City at City this weekend, none are not 100% dead as far as getting a point - It would not surprise me if Leeds, Everton + Leicester get no points before the last round of games 
    tFB Trader
    Big Sam's formation may well be a mirror image of Pep's - 8-1-1
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    joneve said:

Just had a coffee with a Forest fan - Looking again at the remaining fixtures, I feel you have the best chance of survival - I think 33 points will be enough - Key games are of course Soton + Chelsea - On paper all games are tough and apart from us playing City at City this weekend, none are not 100% dead as far as getting a point - It would not surprise me if Leeds, Everton + Leicester get no points before the last round of games 
    I'm cautiously optimistic. Our home form has been solid for the majority of the season and we've been playing much more positive football the last 3 weeks - so hopefully if we can do the job against Southampton on Monday, we can scramble around for another few points elsewhere to negate our terrible goal difference. 

If we lose Monday, it's not all over, but will become a much, MUCH harder task, relying on a lot of other things to go our way. 

And who knows, the last game of the season is v Spurs and it could be their greatest achievement, for a few years, if they send us down

If Big Sam can get you defending the inevitable 3-0 lead that you take in the first 20mins (as he can), then there’s 3 points for you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Just a thought

Sacking a manager - should it come with an automatic 5 point deduction if you sack them during the season
    Or maybe limit manager movements to the transfer window. 

Another alternative would be to have every manager at the start of the season manage every club for two games. We'll see who can really coach and motivate players. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    Snap said:
    Leeds - what a joke club. IT has taken them so long to get back into the top tier and they have made a complete mess of it. 

If we are playing worst owners bingo, I'll throw the Venkys into the ring. Mrs Rao, head Venky and (apparently wealthiest woman in India), when asked what she knew about football replied - "well, I've watched a lot of cricket". 

The Venkys genuinely thought the premier league worked like a franchise, with no relegation. 

We were doing OK under Allardyce, but Steve Keane (another legend) was working behind the scenes, needling to get Allardyce sacked (allegedly). 

Then they appointed that renowned football expert Shebby Singh to be their global adviser. He then oversaw some fantastic managerial appointments such as Michael Appleton and Henning Berg, both of whom got three year deals and we each gone within 70 days, having lost most of their games. The big saviour was then hailed as the legend that is Owen Coyle. A manager who has done more damage to North West football than any other manager! Managed to get (I think) every club relegated. Some achievement.

At least they saw sense after about 10 years, thank you Tony Mowbray, who looks like he will end up higher than us with Sunderland. More irony.

I'd love Tony back at WBA one day - proper gent and a massively underrated manager. Great times under him.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Snap said:

I'd love Tony back at WBA one day - proper gent and a massively underrated manager. Great times under him.
    Boro legend, he worked wonders for us too as a player and manager. Great centre half, and then helped trim the fat and decrease the wage bill when he was manager :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited May 2023
    Remember this trivia, I guarantee that it'll be useful one day.

Erling Haaland scored his first goals (2) in the EPL and broke the record for most goals scored in a single season against which team... 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    ^^lol

Chelsea Rory. Says it all. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

tFB Trader
    Remember this trivia, I guarantee that it'll be useful one day.

Erling Haaland scored his first goals (2) in the EPL and broke the record for most goals scored in a single season against which team... 
    I dare say he will be eyeing up a hat full on Sat - Our only hope is they have Real Madrid on their mind