Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited April 2023
    axisus said:
    The Prem is broken. I'm happy enough with City winning everything as it really annoys and disappoints the other so-called delusional 'big six' clubs and their fanbases.

Better to have one super club that deflates all the others rather than keep spreading the trophies around the top six. Hopefully something will change as a result.
    I don't understand anything in that post.
    Me neither, who would be happy with 1 club win everything?

Where is the fun in that? unless you are the fan of that club....helll, even then i would get bored.  Like playing a computer game without a challenge, eventually it gets boring, fast.
    I guess he's saying that if one club wins everything, there'll be pressure from other clubs to change the system in some way, to "level the playing field".  Good luck with that.  They've had two clubs winning everything in Scotland for decades, and no-one seems to have done anything about that.

(Edit:  Dr Cornelius beat me to it.  I wasn't coming at it so much from the dodgy foreign ownership perspective, but ultimately money's at the root of it all.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Philly_Q said:

(Edit:  Dr Cornelius beat me to it.  I wasn't coming at it so much from the dodgy foreign ownership perspective, but ultimately money's at the root of it all.)
    Which is why the chances of anything changing are slightly less than the chances of you winning the lottery.

Every week for the next year.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    TTony said:
    Philly_Q said:

Which is why the chances of anything changing are slightly less than the chances of you winning the lottery.

I think there's more chance than that. The Prem is marketed as the most exciting league in the world. Once it becomes a one horse race it's not so exciting. 

Maybe Newcastle can outspend CIty and then I'll be moaning about them  Although if undesirables came in and blew billions on West Brom in all honesty, I'd be lapping it up!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TTony said:
    Philly_Q said:

Are you telling me I'm wasting my money on those 100 EuroMillions tickets I buy every week??!!  :#
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited April 2023
    @TeleMaster - didn't see it but sounds like you had the same crap VAR hand ball issue v LFC as we did a week or so ago - And an apology after - Great 
    Yea we were robbed. The guy dived into it and met the ball with his hand. That's handball isn't it? Oh well. We played great and it seems like we're clicking and playing well. I think we'll definitely stay up. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    @joneve and @guitars4you I bet you wish you could end the league now!! (Especially with Lesta going down :) ). Didn't expect Everton to win, but it's getting interesting down there with only 15 more points available......

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    swiller said:
    Isak and Henry in same sentence ? Are you mental ? Not even close to the same level 
    No im not. Henrys first seasons in arsenal are pretty much on par with Isak. Isak has a slightly better goal to appearance ratio in 22/23 than henrys early years at the arse when they were both at a similar age. Both read the game insanely well and skill levels over and above the norm. 

There's more to football than stats alone. And 8 goals in 13 games does not make someone Thierry Henry. Far from it. He's a long way off a serious comparison to him. 
    ill stick by what i said. 2 in vs spurs and world class assist this evening. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
    swiller said:
    ill stick by what i said. 2 in vs spurs 
    Let’s be honest, scoring 2 against Spurs last weekend wasn’t exactly hard ….
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    Toon..... and indeed, Toon.
    Of the black and white army variety.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I don't know what Ryan Mason said to them at half time but that was a different Spurs team that came out after the break. Still defensively fragile but with attacking intent for the first time in a while.

This is how we should have played against Milan and Sheffield United. 

scrumhalf said:

This is how we should have played against Milan and Sheffield United all bloody season

First half was better than I've seen Spurs play for a good few games, though it would have been better still if the defence had remembered their defending-101 class.

Second half was better than for a very long time.  Seemed hungry for the ball, chasing back, tackling (wow), and looking to score.  Always someone in a position to receive a pass, always looking to play forwards.

Slightly lucky in the first half to only be 2-0 down, but overall unlucky not to have won it.  

And Forster gets my vote for goalie.  He didn't deserve getting dropped back to the bench when Lloris was injured before.  I hope he doesn't get dropped again if/when Lloris recovers this time.  Sorry Hugo, you had some great seasons for us, but "that time" has come.
  • Spurs v Man U could have gone either way tbh.. chances at both ends..  better performance and fight from Spurs but still sloppy passing at times..  Forster stays in nets.. Kane captain..  this is the way..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    axisus said:
    The Prem is broken. I'm happy enough with City winning everything as it really annoys and disappoints the other so-called delusional 'big six' clubs and their fanbases.

Better to have one super club that deflates all the others rather than keep spreading the trophies around the top six. Hopefully something will change as a result.

Where is the fun in that? unless you are the fan of that club....helll, even then i would get bored.  Like playing a computer game without a challenge, eventually it gets boring, fast.
    I read it as the prem has become a place where dodgy foreign money can buy success and sports wash their image on the world stage. If it takes one club to out finance the others for long enough to win everything then hopefully the premier league will do something about it

I couldn't agree more if thats what @mudslide73 meant
    Yeah that's how I read it too. Personally I'm glad to see some of the elite clubs crying about man city winning everything when those same clubs were ready to up and leave for a euro super league at the detriment of the english league.

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    tony99 said:
    axisus said:

I read it as the prem has become a place where dodgy foreign money can buy success and sports wash their image on the world stage. If it takes one club to out finance the others for long enough to win everything then hopefully the premier league will do something about it

Yeah that's how I read it too. Personally I'm glad to see some of the elite clubs crying about man city winning everything when those same clubs were ready to up and leave for a euro super league at the detriment of the english league.

Yes but the problem isn't Man City winning all the time, the team that does it is irrelevant. the problem is effectively running a one horse race year on year - whoever it is. It's not good for any sport.

As far as rich owners go, I'm pretty sure that every football fan preferred the old days without the big money, but sadly those days are gone and will never return. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    axisus said:
    tony99 said:
    axisus said:

Yes but the problem isn't Man City winning all the time, the team that does it is irrelevant. the problem is effectively running a one horse race year on year - whoever it is. It's not good for any sport.

As far as rich owners go, I'm pretty sure that every football fan preferred the old days without the big money, but sadly those days are gone and will never return. 
    Yeah I know. I couldn't care less which team wins it all the time, just as long as one team wins and pisses off all of the others.

To be fair the game has always been about money, even far back in time before the premier league. There were no halcyon days when the game wasn't ruled by a bit of coin. It's just funny to see the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd and others getting upset because now City can spend a few bob, and win everything. You really just have to take it on the chin.

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324

The hype around the Premier League is absolutely "emperor's new clothes" stuff.

Its a running joke how bad Spurs are and yet 3/4 of the league are worse than them. 

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Well, final bids in for Man U.

Looking like the Jim Radcliffe bid is leading the race, as it’s worth more, proportionally, but means the Glazers will stay.  Radcliffe owns Nice also, but fortunately he will avoid champions league complications as Nice are currently 10th.  They have not been great since his arrival, and the Nice fans are not happy with his ownership.  The bid will have elements of debt and no clear stadium / facilities overhaul.

The Glazers set the price at £6 billion - because the are businessmen and want to squeeze every drop out of their ownership.  Had they set the price more realistically no doubt more bids would have been received.

Personally all I want is infrastructure investment, debt free ownership and decent management.
    I’m not sure we’ll get that if this goes ahead.

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited April 2023

Well, final bids in for Man U.

Looking like the Jim Radcliffe bid is leading the race, as it’s worth more, proportionally, but means the Glazers will stay.  Radcliffe owns Nice also, but fortunately he will avoid champions league complications as Nice are currently 10th.  They have not been great since his arrival, and the Nice fans are not happy with his ownership.  The bid will have elements of debt and no clear stadium / facilities overhaul.

The Glazers set the price at £6 billion - because the are businessmen and want to squeeze every drop out of their ownership.  Had they set the price more realistically no doubt more bids would have been received.

Personally all I want is infrastructure investment, debt free ownership and decent management.
    I’m not sure we’ll get that if this goes ahead.

What could the potential issues be with Nice? Will he have to sell them? 

From what you've said, this guy doesn't sound like the owner the club needs. Although maybe as he's a fan it'll be different than at Nice. 
  • Come on Fulham!
  • CharlieShawCharlieShaw Frets: 347
    Big win for Huddersfield today. One more point needed for safety.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Credit to Bournemouth - Not just with today's win - But showing so much guts and spirit over the whole season and more so recently - Most would not have expected them to survive this season - Gary O'Niel should get manager of the season 

Looks like we are doomed - need 4/5 points from 4 games - That is effectively 3 games as one is v Man City at their place - Gutless and clueless by us today and indeed during April
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Another dodgy first half but world class second half from the toon.
    Gordon is a wrongun for us. He should not start. Feels like a new joey barton.
    A shame manure won, thought villa might have done them. Unconvincing win mind. So 3rd still deffo on the cards.
    Looking forward to the arse next week at St James. Think they will undoubtedly be trembling at st james and see it as another demolition job in second half.
    HOWAY THE LADS.

Dont worry, be silly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Well results have gone perfectly for Everton today, massive HUGE game tomorrow night which is a must win now, 

oh and spurs are off to their usual fast start

Will Liverpool better 5 in 21mins?
    edited April 2023
    TTony said:

The 5 Live commentary with Chris Waddle is a joy.  Did you know Spurs had players called Romario and Hog-berg?
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    Credit to Bournemouth - Not just with today's win - But showing so much guts and spirit over the whole season and more so recently - Most would not have expected them to survive this season - Gary O'Niel should get manager of the season 

Looks like we are doomed - need 4/5 points from 4 games - That is effectively 3 games as one is v Man City at their place - Gutless and clueless by us today and indeed during April
    We've had a great finish - from almost doomed to relegation to 13th place as it stands today. 
    Apart from awful performance vs WHU last week we've been playing well, some good signings in January window helped as well. We still can't defend any corner or free kicks but hey, we're staying up!
    We have 39pts - same as Chelsea, and playing them on Saturday.

We have 39pts - same as Chelsea, and playing beating them on Saturday.
    ^^^ let’s be realistic ….
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Philly_Q said:
    TTony said:

The 5 Live commentary with Chris Waddle is a joy.  Did you know Spurs had players called Romario and Hog-berg?

He refers to Woolwich Wanderers as Orznel.

Most people get Hojbjerg wrong, to be fair.

scrumhalf said:
    Philly_Q said:
    TTony said:

He refers to Woolwich Wanderers as Orznel.

Most people get Hojbjerg wrong, to be fair.

My favourite was when Adnan Januzaj was at Man Utd.  Waddle used to call him "Yanussi".
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Klopp is an annoying git - He, probably more than any other manager, is the biggest moaner at the 4th official - I'd love to see him get a touch line ban for consistency over stepping the mark - Create a rule that such behaviour is not acceptable - Sets a bad example and the PL should have a zero tolerance in place 

Good spirit by Spurs - from being poor and blown out the water to a credible draw - Until the last few mins of course - In the end it was Lucky Liverpool - Probably the best attack in the league with 5 forwards (behind Man City) but that midfield is not a top flight set up these days