Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Boodiful. HWTL.

Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Spurs are out Spursing Spurs. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1625
    Well this is going well....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Bloody hell, Spurs 5-0 down in 21 minutes. That's just crazy.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    axisus said:
    Bloody hell, Spurs 5-0 down in 21 minutes. That's just crazy.
    I think it’s the first time ever that a team was 0-5 down at half time, and came back to win 6-5!

Incredible second half.  That Kane hat-trick in the first 5mins of the second half was unbelievable - what did he have to drink at half-time - but it was the Hoddle volley that really turned the game.  Nice to see Greaves getting a couple too.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TTony said:

That Kane hat-trick 
    And I thought I'd been dreaming - there's the first

:D
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited April 2023
    13th in the league, a game in hand, a European cup semi final, finally playing well... This season could end up being iconic for West Ham if we win this cup and get into the Europa again. Winning a European cup would be amazing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Headlines tomorrow on the back pages - 'Spurs Kane'd after another Dier performance'

I get a bit confused when I listen to the commentators when they keep saying dier - Are they talking about one man or 11
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    What I can't understand is - Spurs seem to have had an absolutely appalling season and yet somehow they're still fifth.  Is it just that almost everyone else has been even worse?
    tFB Trader
    13th in the league, a game in hand, a European cup semi final, finally playing well... This season could end up being iconic for West Ham if we win this cup. 
    That is you just about safe for now as well, so top marks and I dare say much relief - 5 teams in that zone now and I won't put any money on our chances - Next 2 games will tell us all we need to know - Last 4 games look a nightmare - Man City, West Ham, Newcastle, Spurs 

Kind of looks like Soton are not looking good - But if Forest, Leeds and Leicester go down, then I bet that will be the first time 3 top flight title winners go down in the same season

Rams fans may well get their dream - Leeds + Forest down and maybe they are still in with a play off place and who knows what 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    West Ham have a tough run in,  so I still think 6 teams in that zone playing each other on the last day may well have something to shake it up a bit.  last minutes of extra time on that day could be “interesting” for a lot of poeple

But what a week it has been for us - amazing what confidence does.  I could actually see us in the top half if we carry on like this ;) 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

I thought Brighton deserved to win that.  Happy we got through, but a harsh way to go out.

Not much between the teams. Brighton had more possession but pretty even on chances.
    Both teams pretty poor in front of goal.   
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited April 2023
    Wanted Utd to win as I think they’ve got a better chance of beating City. Brighton played some great football and probably deserved it though 
    Glad to see Man U through, although I sense a final thrashing. Hats off to Brighton though, 5 years ago I could never have imagined them being such a good team. Quite amazing progress to be honest. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Boromedic said:
    Results have certainly gone well today again for a late West Brom Play Off charge, however it's usually when we hope for the best that the players let us all down and crumble to bits so I'm not expecting much positive tomorrow against Sunderland
    Fingers crossed you can beat the dirty Mackems!
    Yeah they bottled it as expected. Sunderland were much the better side and should have won by more (though they didn't need to, we weren't going to score if we'd played till midnight). A pile of absolute turds again
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2091
    Utd have a chance to stop City winning the treble. It’ll be a very big game and although City are by far the better side, anything can happen in this type of game! 

What a job ETH done in such a short time! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Barnezy said:
    Utd have a chance to stop City winning the treble. 
    You make it sound like an act of heroism!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Barnezy said:
    Utd have a chance to stop City winning the treble.
    As do Real Madrid and Arsenal.

City can still end up with nothing  this season  :)
    OK, I'm a Man U fan, and I'll admit it - I just couldn't watch the penalties! I can't bear the pressure with Man U or England taking penalties, it really is too much for me. I switched the TV off and looked up the result a bit later. Then I enjoyed watching them on the highlights. Some very good penalties there, but I really felt for March with his miss. I can't imaging the pain of being 'that' player. 
    I'm a little surprised that Stellini is apparently still Spurs interim manager ...

Keep checking the BBC site for an announcement.

The Pochelsea rumours are a bit worrying though.  No, no, no!
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^ @TTony ;

Kind of strange that 2 big elite London clubs are effectively in the same market place at the same time - And by the sound of things chatting to the same potential managers - Can either club offer something better than the other and I don't just mean a financial package

If I was the owner of both club I'd want next seasons manager in place now - Effectively it gives you a 6/7 game period to evaluate what you have and what you might need - Otherwise a new owner comes in during say July - A few weeks of training - A few weeks, probably overseas, with a couple of half hearted friendlies, then you have to hit the ground running in late Aug, with little awareness of who's who and what's what 

At best Spurs are probably going to finish 5th and Chelsea not in any European tournament - So nothing to loose between now and the end of May

Is the delay as the owners don't know what they want - Or do the potential managers not fancy either clubs for one reason or another 

Is the delay as the owners don't know what they want - Or do the potential managers not fancy either clubs for one reason or another 

Really don't understand the delay at Spurs.

Conte going was hardly a surprise.  Given how often we change managers, I'd have hoped that there was a well proven internal process that always has shortlist of potential candidates - kept updated as their situation changes - in the expectation that we'll need to appoint one of them, probably sooner rather than later.

We'll now spend the next few months watching all the possible candidates signing up for one or other of the other teams, and find ourselves, towards the end of August, bringing in the last man standing, too late for any pre-season, too late for the transfer window, and then wonder why we're mid-table come December ...
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    TTony said:

Really don't understand the delay at Spurs.

Could be that no one wants the job!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I'm not surprised that we haven't got a permanent manager yet. The rest of the season is going to be bloody awful, why would Poch or anyone else want to walk into someone else's shitshow.

After that performance against the Toon yesterday you would be in charge of a team with no leaders, no guts and an almost pathological fear of defending. Four other teams have conceded more goals than us, that's just piss poor.

Anyone worth his salt will want to start with as blank a slate as possible, with at least half of yesterday's lot gone. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    The Newcastle spurs game yesterday was what I like to call a Mick McCarthy result. "Well we drew the second half..." 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Nice one Newcastle. Totally thumped Spurs!

As for us, I'm not sure which Arsenal will show up on Wednesday. Holding vs Haaland has the potential to be a comedy show. We badly miss Saliba in the backline, but with no recognised RB we can't move Benny White to CB, unless for some reason we change formation and do the inverted wingback thing. I felt Zinchenko could have played in Xhaka's absence vs Southampton, with Kieran Tierney at LB. Vieira is clearly not ready and needs to beef up a bit to cope with the demands of Premier League football.
    tFB Trader
    Nice one Newcastle. Totally thumped Spurs!

As for us, I'm not sure which Arsenal will show up on Wednesday. Holding vs Haaland has the potential to be a comedy show. We badly miss Saliba in the backline, but with no recognised RB we can't move Benny White to CB, unless for some reason we change formation and do the inverted wingback thing. I felt Zinchenko could have played in Xhaka's absence vs Southampton, with Kieran Tierney at LB. Vieira is clearly not ready and needs to beef up a bit to cope with the demands of Premier League football.
    I think on the plus side it now means Arsenal have to play their pro-active offensive game - If they had have had a 7 point lead going into this match they could have stuck or twist and that can be an issue - Now they know what they have to do 

I'll certainly be watching - I hope you win on Wed and win the title - I don't dislike City, but I don't want them to extend some form of PL monopoly - As a football fan it would be great to see a top flight match with some late drama 
  • Avoiding defeat on Weds will be a major plus. But for them Everton and Chelsea will be potential slip ups. Even Brentford away. So always possible something can happen. Newcastle away for us is another difficult one.
  • Is it at all possible that Conte is in fact on garden leave and any replacement before the end of the season (contract) would trigger a pay out. I would certainly not put this past Levy to play chicken with the club's league position and player's morale over saving a few million quid.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?