Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• So who is going to be watching Man City v Arsenal tonight - Although with BT showing all games live I dare say some will be glued to the appropriate channel showing their team - I'll keep an eye open on the West Ham/Liverpool + Forest/Brighton games - But looking forward to the City game - Hope it is something like a 3-2 classic (to Arsenal) - Couple of glasses of wine and nibbles ready 

yep.. as a Spurs supporter I will be hoping to be dining on Arsenal Crumble for supper
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • So who is going to be watching Man City v Arsenal tonight - Although with BT showing all games live I dare say some will be glued to the appropriate channel showing their team - I'll keep an eye open on the West Ham/Liverpool + Forest/Brighton games - But looking forward to the City game - Hope it is something like a 3-2 classic (to Arsenal) - Couple of glasses of wine and nibbles ready 
    I'll be following it somehow. For some reason its on BT instead of Sky so I can't watch it (usually get a NOWTV day membership to watch it on Sky Sports Main event). But the last 3 games I've watched we've drawn so maybe I'm doing the team a favour as I won't curse it!

Just looking to get away without losing really but it depends what side Arteta puts out. I can't see him dropping anyone from the last game though Trossard needs to start. I saw Xhaka travelled with the squad so that's a big plus, don't trust Vieira in that midfield. Partey needs to step up and play better as he's been a bit ropey in the last few games. If it weren't for us playing City he'd have been dropped.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    So who is going to be watching Man City v Arsenal tonight - Although with BT showing all games live I dare say some will be glued to the appropriate channel showing their team - I'll keep an eye open on the West Ham/Liverpool + Forest/Brighton games - But looking forward to the City game - Hope it is something like a 3-2 classic (to Arsenal) - Couple of glasses of wine and nibbles ready 
    Yea I'll be watching both. I can't make West Ham v Liverpool tonight so I'll have them both on. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    So who is going to be watching Man City v Arsenal tonight - Although with BT showing all games live I dare say some will be glued to the appropriate channel showing their team - I'll keep an eye open on the West Ham/Liverpool + Forest/Brighton games - But looking forward to the City game - Hope it is something like a 3-2 classic (to Arsenal) - Couple of glasses of wine and nibbles ready 

yep.. as a Spurs supporter I will be hoping to be dining on Arsenal Crumble for supper
    Also as a Spurs fan, it'd be amusing to see Arsenal go all Spursy, but in this case, I'd rather they didn't and will be hoping that they beat the Mancs.

(The better interests of the game trumping local rivalry).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I have to disagree. As a Spurs fan the next title I want Woolwich to win is the Conference South. Unfortunately that's more likely to be our next title if we repeat the Newcastle shitshow. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    scrumhalf said:
    I have to disagree. As a Spurs fan the next title I want Woolwich to win is the Conference South. Unfortunately that's more likely to be our next title if we repeat the Newcastle shitshow. 
    I realise I'm probably in a minority - possibly a minority of 1 - with my opinion
    :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 164
    CHRISB50 said:
    mrkb said:
    Philly_Q said:
    TTony said:
    PoChelsea is just *wrong*.  I'll cry.  If Chelsea can appoint a proper manager, before the end of the season, why can't we?  OK, their need is greater (hello Frank), but not by much.

I can see a repeat of the Nuno farce coming.  We're linked with every manager you've ever heard of, and a few more besides, throughout the summer, yet they all get disregarded one-by-one, or go elsewhere, leaving us to appoint Billy-never-heard-of (except it won't be "Biliy", it'll be some foreign variation thereof), just before/after the season starts. 

I think you've answered that question yourself in the next paragraph.
    Lampard to spurs? That’s the dream ticket
    I’d pay his cab fare. 
    I’d give him a bloody piggyback there. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Yup a great game. Ill be listening in. Hoping that arsenal pip it and hoping for a classic like your good self. I think it is the game of the season in terms of who goes on to win the title. You cant discount city and my brain says they will do it, but think arsenal may strategise halland being taken off, be it injury, red card etc.
     Always think psychology plays a part however and thus arsenal do have a chance on the rebound and its a bigger game for them than it is city as city have been here plenty of times before. It may well give arsenal that edge in terms of giving their all. They are certainly capable of winning the game, so ill go more with my heart on this one and agree on a 3-2 arsenal.

Dont worry, be silly.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

City are a level above Arsenal.  Could be more.  would be good to see them bat back in it but I can’t see it.

swiller said:

arsenal may strategise halland being taken off, be it injury, red card etc.

Not sure about that, he never seems get red cards or injured.  The only way you could ‘strategise’ that would be just chopping him down which would pretty much be the most cynical thing since his dad got taken out by Roy Keane!
  • Really bad performance. No fight or grit. Even if Haaland wasn't playing they would still get a few goals against us. Not like they haven't done it before. Damage limitation 2nd half I think. 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    Arsenal totally outclassed. They look slow, weak and intimidated. Shame as I was hoping they'll at least put up a fight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Short passes, mistakes, confidence gone.
    Pity, I’d rather have seen Arsenal at their best but they seem to have bottled it.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    If the season was about two games longer I'd be putting a sneaky wee bet on Chelsea to get relegated.

An absolutely stinking team managed by a guy who has already failed there once. Money well spent. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I’ll try to be gracious in victory….but City were f@cking good tonight 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited April 2023
    If the season was about two games longer I'd be putting a sneaky wee bet on Chelsea to get relegated.

An absolutely stinking team managed by a guy who has already failed there once. Money well spent. 
    I think Frank Lampard should be seriously considering his career in football management.  Fantastic player, club legend, famously well-educated and intelligent, decent bloke but he honestly doesn't seem to be cut out for management.

(I think they're safe on 39 points by the way.  Another couple of games wouldn't give them fewer points. ;) )
  • City just too good for us tonight. Alot of our players didn't turn up. Expected more of a fight to be honest but wasn't really a match. I did expect us to fall away at the end of the season so to still be up there with 5 games to go I'd have taken that. At least we'll be playing in Champions' League next season eh.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    UP STEVIE COOPER’S BASTARD REDS! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2091
    edited April 2023
    Arsenal looked scared to play. I get it, but that game was the game to win the league, and to lose without really trying is a missed opportunity. 

Liverpool did the same thing last season when they went there and drew. I remember Pep celebrating as if they’d won, as he knew that was it for Liverpool. 

It’s a weak mentality at the end of the day, from teams that don’t truely believe they are capable. 

I hope Utd go at them in the final. I don’t care if they end up losing 5-0 as long as they have a go. Sitting back and losing 1-0 is worse imo 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited April 2023
    I agree.  Arsenal has lost that fearlessness they had about 10 matches ago.  They were a lot better the last time they played City, but tonight they looked like they were scared.  

In the current trajectory, and from (D4 L1), 5 games left, Chelsea, Newcastle and Brighton the next 3 matches….they might not even get to 80pts or just limp over 80pts.  But Man U has 24pts left to grab and if they win 7/8 games remaining, there is a chance that they will pip Arsenal to 3rd, something that I didn’t think possible 2 months ago.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    UP STEVIE COOPER’S BASTARD REDS! 
    Yes a great night for you - It is going to be a close run thing for those relegation spots - Still 5 horse race IMO
    tFB Trader
    Man City were superb last night - Fully deserved 
    tFB Trader
    @TeleMaster - didn't see it but sounds like you had the same crap VAR hand ball issue v LFC as we did a week or so ago - And an apology after - Great 
    tFB Trader
    Good old Frank showing what he is good at - Again - How do these guys keep getting top jobs with no substance and track record 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    Good old Frank showing what he is good at - Again - How do these guys keep getting top jobs with no substance and track record 
    Dunno what you mean. He definitely has a track record...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited April 2023 tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ - You've probably got to go back to the 2007/08 season with Derby to find a sequence as bad as that  

In fact that is effectively 5 points from 19 matches - For now assume all are league games (I know a couple were cup matches) - 19 x 2 is a full PL season - That is now effectively 10 points for the season - That is worse form than Derby's 12 point season
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    So this is the way the season ends,
    not with a bang, but with a whimper

(seems relevant for Arsenal and West Brom fans today :( )
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    The Prem is broken. I'm happy enough with City winning everything as it really annoys and disappoints the other so-called delusional 'big six' clubs and their fanbases.

Better to have one super club that deflates all the others rather than keep spreading the trophies around the top six. Hopefully something will change as a result.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    The Prem is broken. I'm happy enough with City winning everything as it really annoys and disappoints the other so-called delusional 'big six' clubs and their fanbases.

Better to have one super club that deflates all the others rather than keep spreading the trophies around the top six. Hopefully something will change as a result.
    I don't understand anything in that post.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    axisus said:

Me neither, who would be happy with 1 club win everything?

Where is the fun in that? unless you are the fan of that club....helll, even then i would get bored.  Like playing a computer game without a challenge, eventually it gets boring, fast.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    axisus said:

Me neither, who would be happy with 1 club win everything?

Where is the fun in that? unless you are the fan of that club....helll, even then i would get bored.  Like playing a computer game without a challenge, eventually it gets boring, fast.
    I read it as the prem has become a place where dodgy foreign money can buy success and sports wash their image on the world stage. If it takes one club to out finance the others for long enough to win everything then hopefully the premier league will do something about it

I couldn't agree more if thats what @mudslide73 meant
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter