Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• PaulWarningPaulWarning Frets: 840
    I'm just glad Forest are out of the mix on the last day of the season, I don't need that stress
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    My team (West Brom) signed a player who'd been "big" at Celtic (Tom Rogic), and their fans seemed to worship him still despite him having left them 6 months prior. Telling us he was the best footballer we had in the squad before he'd even kicked a ball, and how he was some kind of world beater for them in the SPL. He was slow, lazy, lethargic, and didn't seem to have even the slightest bit of promise that he could hack it in the Championship. People were running rings around him, he had no pace whatsoever and seemed to actively avoid challenging for the ball. The fans were still obssessing about him on the WBA fan pages on facebook, he could do wrong, we were supposedly playing him wrongly or something. 

But I think it's just that the SPL is a lot easier to play in than the Championship. He clearly had the technique but was just too slow and lightweight to cope. He'd hardly have got a touch in the Premier, yet he was supposedly often the matchwinner for Celtic in the SPL. I think they'd struggle in the Premier league
    Not sure I buy that argument tbh. 

The last two Celtic stars who went to the PL - that I can remember anyway - were Van Dijk and Tierney, both of whom are stars at much better teams than West Brom. 

Celtic aren't an amazing team but they regularly do about as well as the mid table jobbers from England do in European competition and the standard in the PL is massively overrated. 

Funny that Van Dijk should come up after the last few pages though. Or as I like to call him Virgil "low spending Liverpool only made me the most expensive defender of all time" Van Dijk :-D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    TTony said:

Keep it calm gents.

We've had 150+ pages of fairly good humoured chat about tribalism, or football, which must be a record.

Fine by me.   No hard feelings Tony. 
    I didn't have any hard feelings to begin with, I just don't understand why you delete your posts; it's not conducive to healthy debate.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    My team (West Brom) signed a player who'd been "big" at Celtic (Tom Rogic), and their fans seemed to worship him still despite him having left them 6 months prior. Telling us he was the best footballer we had in the squad before he'd even kicked a ball, and how he was some kind of world beater for them in the SPL. He was slow, lazy, lethargic, and didn't seem to have even the slightest bit of promise that he could hack it in the Championship. People were running rings around him, he had no pace whatsoever and seemed to actively avoid challenging for the ball. The fans were still obssessing about him on the WBA fan pages on facebook, he could do wrong, we were supposedly playing him wrongly or something. 

But I think it's just that the SPL is a lot easier to play in than the Championship. He clearly had the technique but was just too slow and lightweight to cope. He'd hardly have got a touch in the Premier, yet he was supposedly often the matchwinner for Celtic in the SPL. I think they'd struggle in the Premier league
    Not sure I buy that argument tbh. 

The last two Celtic stars who went to the PL - that I can remember anyway - were Van Dijk and Tierney, both of whom are stars at much better teams than West Brom. 

Celtic aren't an amazing team but they regularly do about as well as the mid table jobbers from England do in European competition and the standard in the PL is massively overrated. 

Funny that Van Dijk should come up after the last few pages though. Or as I like to call him Virgil "low spending Liverpool only made me the most expensive defender of all time" Van Dijk :-D
    Those are fair points I suppose. Although one of our scouts supposedly quit because he'd recommended so heavily that we signed Van Dijk from Celtic to "double our money in a couple of years" but the club, who'd just been taken over by the current shit show of ownership and were managed by Tony "Clueless" Pulis, decided against it and Soton went in for him instead. 

That story does go against the grain a bit though, given that Pulis generally played with 10 centre halves and a keeper so I'm not sure why he passed up the opportunity to add another one in there. We would have had quite the defence with Van Dijk, Johnny Evans and our own legend Jonas Olsson. 

I've often wondered if, rather than potentially destroying the Scottish leagues by taking away the top two teams to go in the premier League, maybe they could both enter the English FA Cup instead? That would be quite fun and help to spice up what is a dying competition in general perhaps? 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited May 2023
    I don't know what you're going on about. I edited my post about a second after I posted it to not get into what seemed like it could end up being an argument over something silly. That doesn't mean I'm 'deleting my posts'. it means I couldn't be arsed with it. 

Honestly, let's just move on, this is going nowhere. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Rocker said:
    Slight thread derail but it is time that the two big Scottish clubs spread their wings and played in a competitive league. I suggest that they join the Championship. Welsh teams play in the English league so why not Scottish teams?
    They’re more than welcome to join I believe.   But, they’d have to start out at the bottom of the pyramid and work their way up like any other club.  
     The Northern Premier League Div One is realistic, I believe (eighth tier) - but even then, the clubs in the ninth tier (Combined Counties League) would probably, and rightfully get the hump if there’s no promotion that season.  

The reason why Welsh teams play in English leagues is that there were no Welsh leagues when those clubs were formed. 

Realistically, the only hope of Rangers and Celtic playing against English clubs regularly is if the European Superleague rears its ugly head again and actually happens.   
    edited May 2023
    All to play for but the ball is firmly in Everton's court - Theirs to loose so maybe they are the ones under pressure - Slip up and Leicester or Leeds could strike 
    Who's your money on to go with saints?. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    All to play for but the ball is firmly in Everton's court - Theirs to loose so maybe they are the ones under pressure - Slip up and Leicester or Leeds could strike 
    I'm going to have a look at the odds shortly - I suspect a twist in the tale yet and Leicester survive - Who knows - It might be one of those days and Everton go 2/3 up quite early and job done - It could be an injury time winner for Leeds or Leicester

Odds don't favour Leeds as they need both Leicester and Everton games to go their way as well as beating Spurs so less likely hood of that happening

4-1 on Leicester to stay up 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    I'm just glad Forest are out of the mix on the last day of the season, I don't need that stress
    You're not wrong mate. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tony99 said:
    I'm going to have a look at the odds shortly - I suspect a twist in the tale yet and Leicester survive - Who knows - It might be one of those days and Everton go 2/3 up quite early and job done - It could be an injury time winner for Leeds or Leicester

Odds don't favour Leeds as they need both Leicester and Everton games to go their way as well as beating Spurs so less likely hood of that happening

Everton team looks decimated, injuries everywhere.A lot to be said for an angry Goodison though. Exciting final day at least.
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

Everton team looks decimated, injuries everywhere.A lot to be said for an angry Goodison though. Exciting final day at least.
    We know where the Sky games will be 

I'd be lying if I wished you all the best for Sunday - But if Everton stay up I'll be the first to say well done and congrats 
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

I'd be lying if I wished you all the best for Sunday - But if Everton stay up I'll be the first to say well done and congrats 
    Leeds look lost going forward. They have no one to put the ball in the net, which I think is their main issue. Leicester are 100% doomed. Really can't see them getting anything. So it all comes down to whether Leeds have enough to beat Spurs and whether Everton can beat an on-the-beach Bournemouth. Exciting times for the neutral :D 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    All three teams have home games, Everton, Leeds and Leicester and I can't really see who can stay up at this point.

I would normally say Spurs will win but right now, Spurs is a midtable side, with form worse than Forest.  Bournemouth would be really tough to beat.  West Ham with a European Final to play and safety guarantee, might just put out half a good team so Leicester actually has a chance...but then Leicester can't defend.

I can't call it...
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

I'm not really emotionally invested in the fan side anymore, all my family are though so thanks. I sort of watch what happens with Everton / Liverpool from a socioeconomic perspective as it's where I live and communities can be affected by what happens (good and bad).

I'll say one thing - whichever of them drop it'll be deserved because they've all been crap this year.
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

Leeds look lost going forward. They have no one to put the ball in the net, which I think is their main issue. Leicester are 100% doomed. Really can't see them getting anything. So it all comes down to whether Leeds have enough to beat Spurs and whether Everton can beat an on-the-beach Bournemouth. Exciting times for the neutral :D 

fixed that for you 

Throughout the season our scoring stats are the best in the bottom 10 places, other than Leicester - Some irony there - And both have a better 'goals scored' stat by a distance over other clubs in the bottom 10 - The issue is an open door policy in defense and central midfield - Then with 3 managers in what 3 months they have lost all/any identity and style of play 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    I think Leeds may well stay up. Can see them beating Spurs - I think I could get 11 mates together to do that at the moment.

Not sure I see Everton beating Bournemouth. Probably a draw? Same at Leicester. Could come down to goal difference....or even goals scored.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Everton have no full backs fit , DCL and Mina ( both made of quavers ) are looking like they are injured again. Its a tough ask to get anything against Bournemouth. 

• horsehorse Frets: 1502
    tony99 said:

I'm wondering (hoping) if there could be a twist for Leicester too. They've seemed doomed over the last few weeks, but somehow are still in it for the final day. Last night they managed to park the bus and hold out, which I didn't expect them to, and then went close late on. On Sunday with a bit of confidence returned, maybe they can get a result. Maybe Vardy rolls back the years.
    joneve said:
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

fixed that for you 

Throughout the season our scoring stats are the best in the bottom 10 places, other than Leicester - Some irony there - And both have a better 'goals scored' stat by a distance over other clubs in the bottom 10 - The issue is an open door policy in defense and central midfield - Then with 3 managers in what 3 months they have lost all/any identity and style of play 
    haha. To be fair, you looked better going forward earlier in the season which has probably helped those stats. As you say the revolving managerial door has probably not helped at all. Still really puzzled how you've gone from Bielsa to Big Sam in such a short space of time! 

We've done the opposite - gone from low-block hanging-on-for-dear life defending with very little in the way of attacking prowess going forward for 80% of the season, to still playing the mid/low block but actually being organised and stopping teams in their tracks (Arsenal barely had a sniff on Saturday) and scoring goals for fun. Still finding it quite hard to believe. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    tony99 said:

... but I think he pales in comparison to what Guardiola has (and will) achieve in the modern game.

He's very good at what he does, probably nobody better, but to be honest he merely does what I expect of him. He manages the best resourced team in the world, it is almost impossible to fail. I'd admire him a lot more if he took Spurs to the top ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Rocker said:
    Slight thread derail but it is time that the two big Scottish clubs spread their wings and played in a competitive league. I suggest that they join the Championship. Welsh teams play in the English league so why not Scottish teams?
    The ugly sisters have been flirting with it for years. I’m pretty sure the EPL don’t want that religious bile otherwise it would have happened by now 
    It will never happen, neither would want to give up European football.
    axisus said:
    tony99 said:

... but I think he pales in comparison to what Guardiola has (and will) achieve in the modern game.

He's very good at what he does, probably nobody better, but to be honest he merely does what I expect of him. He manages the best resourced team in the world, it is almost impossible to fail. I'd admire him a lot more if he took Spurs to the top ...
    Done it with Barca and Bayern too though, what's he got now ?? 11 league titles?

He can only beat what's put in front of him.
    I take your point though.
    edited May 2023 tFB Trader
    Just had a look at kick off times for Sunday - It will be 3 years ago to the day that dad passed away and roughly the final whistle will be about the same time he took his final breath - So I'm going to need and want a drink regardless of the outcome at the end of the season
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    axisus said:
    Rocker said:
    The ugly sisters have been flirting with it for years. I’m pretty sure the EPL don’t want that religious bile otherwise it would have happened by now 
    It will never happen, neither would want to give up European football.
    Celtic and Rangers should have joined the PL 20 years ago, when the quality gap wasn't so big.

They would be relegation material at the moment.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Just had a look at kick off times for Sunday - It will be 3 years ago to the day that dad passed away and roughly the final whistle will be about the same time he took his final breath - So I'm going to need and want a drink regardless of the outcome at the end of the season
    Blimey Mark - 3 years already?  Commiserations, and fingers crossed for Sunday...

Condolences sir. Hopefully he can arrange divine intervention for a result Sunday. 

If anyone is remotely interested in the drama Steve Cooper has had to deal with, this article is a really good read;

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e610b80c-f95b-11ed-9be0-622d8a105167?shareToken=96be34c887c1392edb59e73932a9532c
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    Celtic, season 2021/2022: 

Manchester City, season 2021/2022: 

"CoMpeTiTivE lEaGue"
    Celtic, season 2021/2022: 

Manchester City, season 2021/2022: 

"CoMpeTiTivE lEaGue"
    I don’t get your point, Celtic have no competition in Scotland. Well, apart from the odd season when Rangers turn up.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Celtic have really slumped in the last few weeks ...

The fact that they get kicked out of European competitions at the first opportunity gives an indication of how well they'd (not) do in the Prem League. 

Given their complete dominance in Scotland (though Rangers are getting back there), it's not a great compliment on the quality of the rest of the SPL.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    ScotPrem.png 13.9K
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I see Celtic on around the same level as likes Brighton in the PL, or at best, Spurs on a good day, rare outing in recent months.  With the rest of SPL more like the Championship level.  I reckon Burnley would be challenging for honours if they play in the SPL and Brighton would wipe the floor with their current squad and manager.