Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    That was a nail-biter! 

Well done Luton. 
    Tough on Coventry - they showed some heart today.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    LUTOOOoOOOoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoOOOOOOOOOOoOOOOONNNNNNNnNNNNNNNnNNnNNnNNnN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all ………
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    COYH!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    It'll be fun seeing Klopp etc. at Kenilworth Road next season. It's a shame it had to be decided on pennos. I feel for the Cov fans - from experience it's a long journey home.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited May 2023 tFB Trader
    Massive congratulations to Luton - Very hard way for Coventry to loose - I'm normally a fan of penalty shoot outs as no one has come up with a good alternative - But that was harsh - Both financial and glory - Surely the most expensive miss in football history ? - Normally a missed penalty costs you a knock out trophy - But this a whole year, at least in the PL, with all the financial status that goes with it - Harsh but no other option

For Luton then enjoy the journey - Football does have some fairy tale stories that aren't just about huge corporate expectations and finances  - I bet Eric is looking down with a smile on his face
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Was hoping for a Coventry win but Congrats to Luton. Unbelievable story! 

TalkShite and the rest of the “experts” will have written them off by 10am tomorrow but hopefully they ignore the Hager’s and enjoy the ride. 

Also, shout out to Ethan Horvath for winning the Championship playoff final two years on the trot! 
    Bummer for Coventry and their fans, and horrible to lose on penalties, but at least they put up a good fight. There's nothing worse than not showing up on the big day. Gotta feel for Dabo missing the penalty, he will probably live with that one for the rest of his life. On balance I think it's fair that Luton won, we did finish the season a fairly hefty 10 points up on Coventry. Still, hopefully they will be back in the mix next year.

So Luton in the Prem - I'm under no illusions there. Our whole team cost about as much as one Man City sub. I fully expect us to come down again after the one season, but hopefully with the club on a much better footing. My main concern is I don't want to beat Derby's record of being the lowest ever points total in the Prem!

Strange conflict of interest as I am also a Man U fan. I'll be rooting for Luton as underdogs generally. Can't wait for the new season!
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    I'm cheering for you next season too, fuck the established order, I'm hoping you can get mid table!! Here's to joining you next season, and no Cov can do one, sky blue bastards ;)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    axisus said:
    Bummer for Coventry and their fans, and horrible to lose on penalties, but at least they put up a good fight. There's nothing worse than not showing up on the big day. Gotta feel for Dabo missing the penalty, he will probably live with that one for the rest of his life. On balance I think it's fair that Luton won, we did finish the season a fairly hefty 10 points up on Coventry. Still, hopefully they will be back in the mix next year.

So Luton in the Prem - I'm under no illusions there. Our whole team cost about as much as one Man City sub. I fully expect us to come down again after the one season, but hopefully with the club on a much better footing. My main concern is I don't want to beat Derby's record of being the lowest ever points total in the Prem!

Strange conflict of interest as I am also a Man U fan. I'll be rooting for Luton as underdogs generally. Can't wait for the new season!
    I'm probably way off but I thought you were a man utd fan.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    and ... I'll tell you who's kicking his own arse - Nathan Jones. He did a great job for Luton in a couple of management spells, but abandoned the chance of a DOUBLE PROMOTION with the club, leaving us for Stoke when the DP was on (and succeeded). We went up without him, and after the Stoke thing failed, he came back cap in hand, but then buggered off the Southampton, and failed again! Now he's sat on his arse watching Luton go up to the Prem. He could have been an absolute Luton town LEGEND but instead he's a schmuck that Luton fans are at best indifferent to. And how many managers have a double promotion in two seasons on their CV? A lesson in how to play your cards wrong ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 839
    Big day for Leicester City today. The end of an incredible era. 
    The great escape followed by the togetherness of a group of players winning the Premier League.
    Then the club deciding to move to the next level, by buying bigger players, paying huge wages to get that next level of player.

The family feeling has gone, the cosy training ground has been replaced by a huge corporate building where staff have to sign in and areas are restricted. The huge wage bill and contracts have now become a huge burden.

An incredible story that is still being played out, but now for the story is a negative one.

The beauty of the game, the small teams doing well, but then if you try to be something different it may not work out.

A very difficult time for this club. If they survive today the chances are they won’t next season. 

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Do you think they'd have survived if Vichai hadn't have been killed in that horrendous crash? Would his hand at the rudder meant they'd have kept those vibes going?

Tis a shame, I live in the county and have lots of Foxes fans as mates, that winning season was just unbelievable.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Our best friends are massive Arsenal fans, but also massive Luton fans. That’s one personal conundrum for the coming season! 
    I play at my dining room table.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Being a part-time and rather fair-weather Leeds fan for the last 50 years, I will probably try to think of something else to do today.

Que sera sera!
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    edited May 2023
    Yes, well done Luton Town on being the first club to go from Non-League to Premier League. Will they do a Forest and spend on a huge squad? Will the chairman and fans forget about the achievement and fire Rob Edwards at Christmas?  Big Sam may be waiting! 

It was good for Salopians. Firstly Rob Edwards used to be with AFC Telford and they got rid of him (actually mutual consent), so plenty of ribbing to come about that. Secondly it stops Wrexham from being the first club to jump from Non-League to Premier. 

Anyway, this afternoon will surely be full of high drama with Everton, Leeds and Leicester all battling for their survival. Everton can survive with a draw unless Leicester win or Leeds win by three clear goals. Leicester and Leeds must win and if they do both win then Leeds will be relegated with Everton (if Everton don't win). 

Leeds vs Spurs.
    Big Sam will play the cautious game and hope to be 1-0 up at the break. The 2nd half will be super tense with one ear on the Everton game. Leicester won't really affect the tactics for Allardyce, but it may well be that Leeds need to win by three late in the game if Everton are drawing. Spurs don't need to worry about goals, they only need to win or draw and hope Villa lose. But if they draw then they have to be concerned about Brentford winning. Therefore, the 2nd half in the Leeds vs Spurs game is likely to be extremely tense. Desperate tackling, red cards, and a good chance of the long price HT/FT result of Leeds/Spurs @22/1.

Leicester vs West Ham
    Leicester must win and hope Everton don't win in their game. Moyes surely won't want to risk injuries with his European final approaching. I think Leicester will win this 2 nil @10/1 or so

Brentford vs Man City
    Pep may have one eye on the Champions League Final. Brentford have to win and hope Spurs or Villa don't. They will be keeping it tight and hope to nick one in the 2nd half. It depends if City aren't at the max or whether Pep wants to end the season in style. But think there may be some value in the HT/FT market of City/Brentford @33/1. City may well score first due to their quality but no surprises if they take the foot off the gas 2nd half, especially if it starts to get physical. 

Everton vs Bournemouth
    Bournemouth could finish 13th or 16th depending on how results go. Much depends on how motivated they are to go for that 13th place. Everton can get away with a draw if results elsewhere drop their way but more than likely they will just go for the win. If they go ahead I think it will be difficult for Bournemouth to get back in this. Everton to win 1-0 looks good value at 7's as if they take the lead they will surely put all 11 behind the ball instead of going for a 2nd.

Villa vs Brighton
    Brighton will finish 6th no matter what. Villa need to win to be absolutely sure of that 7th place and with home advantage they can be comfortable winners here. 2-0 at 12/1 looks decent value. 

A fun 25p Lucky 31 and a 25p accumulator totalling £8 wins 660k with Hills (boosted) if they all come in. 

1/ Leeds/Spurs HT/FT@22/1 - Kane penalty to win it in the 90th minute?
    2/ Leicester 2 West Ham 0 - Vardy to roll back the years?
    3/ City/Brentford HT/FT - City up at the break but take the foot off the pedal and get caught late on by a determined Brentford
    4/ Everton 1 Bournemouth 0 - get the goal and defend, defend, defend. A tense afternoon for Evertonians. Balls of steel needed for the players and manager.
    5/ Villa 2 Brighton 0 - Brighton already on the beach, comfortable for Villa, maybe with a goal in each half.

It's so easy winning 660k on the morning of the games.

tony99 said:
    axisus said:

I'm probably way off but I thought you were a man utd fan.
    I refer the honourable gentleman to the sentence above his ...
    edited May 2023
    Shrews said:
    Yes, well done Luton Town on being the first club to go from Non-League to Premier League. Will they do a Forest and spend on a huge squad? Will the chairman and fans forget about the achievement and fire Rob Edwards at Christmas?  Big Sam may be waiting! 

It was good for Salopians. Firstly Rob Edwards used to be with AFC Telford and they got rid of him (actually mutual consent), so plenty of ribbing to come about that. Secondly it stops Wrexham from being the first club to jump from Non-League to Premier. 

Anyway, this afternoon will surely be full of high drama with Everton, Leeds and Leicester all battling for their survival. Everton can survive with a draw unless Leicester win or Leeds win by three clear goals. Leicester and Leeds must win and if they do both win then Leeds will be relegated with Everton (if Everton don't win). 

Leeds vs Spurs.
    Big Sam will play the cautious game and hope to be 1-0 up at the break. The 2nd half will be super tense with one ear on the Everton game. Leicester won't really affect the tactics for Allardyce, but it may well be that Leeds need to win by three late in the game if Everton are drawing. Spurs don't need to worry about goals, they only need to win or draw and hope Villa lose. But if they draw then they have to be concerned about Brentford winning. Therefore, the 2nd half in the Leeds vs Spurs game is likely to be extremely tense. Desperate tackling, red cards, and a good chance of the long price HT/FT result of Leeds/Spurs @22/1.

Leicester vs West Ham
    Leicester must win and hope Everton don't win in their game. Moyes surely won't want to risk injuries with his European final approaching. I think Leicester will win this 2 nil @10/1 or so

Brentford vs Man City
    Pep may have one eye on the Champions League Final. Brentford have to win and hope Spurs or Villa don't. They will be keeping it tight and hope to nick one in the 2nd half. It depends if City aren't at the max or whether Pep wants to end the season in style. But think there may be some value in the HT/FT market of City/Brentford @33/1. City may well score first due to their quality but no surprises if they take the foot off the gas 2nd half, especially if it starts to get physical. 

Everton vs Bournemouth
    Bournemouth could finish 13th or 16th depending on how results go. Much depends on how motivated they are to go for that 13th place. Everton can get away with a draw if results elsewhere drop their way but more than likely they will just go for the win. If they go ahead I think it will be difficult for Bournemouth to get back in this. Everton to win 1-0 looks good value at 7's as if they take the lead they will surely put all 11 behind the ball instead of going for a 2nd.

Villa vs Brighton
    Brighton will finish 6th no matter what. Villa need to win to be absolutely sure of that 7th place and with home advantage they can be comfortable winners here. 2-0 at 12/1 looks decent value. 

A fun 25p Lucky 31 and a 25p accumulator totalling £8 wins 360k with Hills (boosted) if they all come in. 

3/ City/Brentford HT/FT - City up at the break but take the foot off the pedal and get caught late on by a determined Brentford
    4/ Everton 1 Bournemouth 0 - get the goal and defend, defend, defend. A tense afternoon for Evertonians. Balls of steel needed for the players and manager.
    5/ Villa 2 Brighton 0 - Brighton already on the beach, comfortable for Villa, maybe with a goal in each half.

It's so easy winning 360k on the morning of the games.

Wow, you really thought that post through!

Shrews said:
    A fun 25p Lucky 31 and a 25p accumulator totalling £8 wins 360k with Hills (boosted) if they all come in. 

I'd be up for that if I knew how the hell to do it!
    edited May 2023
    The biggest worry is how much effort Bournemouth might put in against Everton. I've gone 1-0 Everton, but Bournemouth are playing for prize money and that's important for them as a small club in the top league. The difference between 13th and 16th is £6.6m, so I think the manager and board will be demanding that they battle for every penny. 1-1 might have actually been a better bet in hindsight so I've had a little on that result at 15/2 as a bit of insurance! Albeit, I still think it more likely Everton will see it out.

Edit: Of course it's 660k with the accumulator added and amended above. Plus I have now done the same L31 and accumulator with the 1-1 instead of the 1-0, which also wins 660k.

A bit of afternoon fun on the last day. 
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:

That is one record I want to stay for ever with the sheep shaggers - Hope you enjoy your time in the PL and wish you all the best - Play as a team with a purpose and you'll pick up points
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    axisus said:
    and ... I'll tell you who's kicking his own arse - Nathan Jones. He did a great job for Luton in a couple of management spells, but abandoned the chance of a DOUBLE PROMOTION with the club, leaving us for Stoke when the DP was on (and succeeded). We went up without him, and after the Stoke thing failed, he came back cap in hand, but then buggered off the Southampton, and failed again! Now he's sat on his arse watching Luton go up to the Prem. He could have been an absolute Luton town LEGEND but instead he's a schmuck that Luton fans are at best indifferent to. And how many managers have a double promotion in two seasons on their CV? A lesson in how to play your cards wrong ...
    Fuck that little gremlin. Rob Edwards is a far better fit and much better bloke all round it seems. 

It might only be for one season, but if it is, just enjoy it. This season has been the most amazing (and stressful) as a Forest fan in 30 years of being a fan; Wouldn’t change it for the world. Glad we get another bite at the cherry next season, but promised myself I’d enjoy it no matter what. 

Up the toffees today! If we somehow get a result at Palace, we can finish 15th 

tFB Trader
    Shrews said:

Leeds vs Spurs.

Leicester vs West Ham

Brentford vs Man City

Everton vs Bournemouth

Villa vs Brighton

A fun 25p Lucky 31 and a 25p accumulator totalling £8 wins 660k with Hills (boosted) if they all come in. 

It's so easy winning 660k on the morning of the games.

Some thought there - I've just got a tenner on Leicester staying up at 4-1 
    edited May 2023 tFB Trader
    So why should Wolves be worried about FFP - Everton don't - Not sure what the hell issuing on with Chelsea's losses - Leicester have just written of nearly 200 million by converting the loan into equity to avoid FFL - I'm sure there has been sanctions but can anyone point out who last received any form of sanctions from the PL - be it a fine or transfer ban - Recall Chelsea getting a ban but won an appeal shortly after to one window ban only 
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 839
    Boromedic said:
    Do you think they'd have survived if Vichai hadn't have been killed in that horrendous crash? Would his hand at the rudder meant they'd have kept those vibes going?

Tis a shame, I live in the county and have lots of Foxes fans as mates, that winning season was just unbelievable.
    I genuinely don’t know. However what I do know is the son wasn’t ready to be chairman. He was going off to learn more about the religion and so it was a big ask for the son to take over. He is now struggling coping with criticism as he can’t understand it.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    So why should Wolves be worried about FFL - Everton don't - Not sure what the hell issuing on with Chelsea's losses - Leicester have just written of nearly 200 million by converting the loan into equity to avoid FFL - I'm sure there has been sanctions but can anyone point out who last received any form of sanctions from the PL - be it a fine or transfer ban - Recall Chelsea getting a ban but won an appeal shortly after to one window ban only 
    Do you mean FFP?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    As a Utd fan we're 3rd and guaranteed 4th spot so will be settling down in the pub around 4pm to watch the relegation battle as a neutral. But wait...no I won't. I want to see Leeds go down. Ideally Everton to stay up. 

@Shrews Is that your calc for the payout. Bookies have a weird way of calculating accumulators if bets imply another outcome is a certainty on one of your other permutations and combinations. I forget the term they use. Your 660k could maybe be a lot less. Good luck anyway. I don't usually bet on football (and certainly never on Utd games) but might make an exception to the rule today. I will, however, be placing bets at Fontwell and Uttoxeter though. Any tips for that mate?  :)

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

Devil#20 said:
    As a Utd fan we're 3rd and guaranteed 4th spot so will be settling down in the pub around 4pm to watch the relegation battle as a neutral. But wait...no I won't. I want to see Leeds go down. Ideally Everton to stay up. 

@Shrews Is that your calc for the payout. Bookies have a weird way of calculating accumulators if bets imply another outcome is a certainty on one of your other permutations and combinations. I forget the term they use. Your 660k could maybe be a lot less. Good luck anyway. I don't usually bet on football (and certainly never on Utd games) but might make an exception to the rule today. I will, however, be placing bets at Fontwell and Uttoxeter though. Any tips for that mate?  :)
    No it's through William Hill. It tells you on the bottom of your receipt how much you will win.

330k for the L31 and same again for the accumulator.

To be honest I don't particularly like jump racing apart from Cheltenham and the GN and there's no flat racing in the UK today even though it's flat racing season. If I was having a bet I would probably look at the bigger fields and maybe:

Killer Clown in the 3.55 Uttoxeter which is currently 22/1 with Hills. Trainer Emma Lavelle has a decent record there and her horses are in form, so I think it's likely he horse will be in good shape following a wind op. It seems to have been running in better races without winning. Ground and distance seem fine and it's now below its last winning mark. No surprises if she's been targeting this race for the horse. Decent each way chance I think.

Fontwell is a course for specialists so if I was to bet there I would ignore all other form and just concentrate on horses who have done well there before

2.10 Vin Rouge was a CD winner on Good ground last August. Beat 7 others that day by 3l. His price looks too big at 22/1 each way.

3.45 Montys Award was a CD winner last year. Looks an ok price ew at 17/2

Nothing serious a small ew Patent on those three!

Some thought there - I've just got a tenner on Leicester staying up at 4-1 
    I think that's a decent bet. I think they will beat West Ham who surely won't want any issues from the game. That would relegate Leeds and would mean Everton have to win. They could well do that, especially if they do go in front. Bournemouth however do have a fair bit of prize money to play for and may well get the 1-1 or even better.

The 2nd halves in these games are going to be full of twists and turns today I think. 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    Shrews said:

No it's through William Hill. It tells you on the bottom of your receipt how much you will win.

330k for the L31 and same again for the accumulator.

To be honest I don't particularly like jump racing apart from Cheltenham and the GN and there's no flat racing in the UK today even though it's flat racing season. If I was having a bet I would probably look at the bigger fields and maybe:

Killer Clown in the 3.55 Uttoxeter which is currently 22/1 with Hills. Trainer Emma Lavelle has a decent record there and her horses are in form, so I think it's likely he horse will be in good shape following a wind op. It seems to have been running in better races without winning. Ground and distance seem fine and it's now below its last winning mark. No surprises if she's been targeting this race for the horse. Decent each way chance I think.

Fontwell is a course for specialists so if I was to bet there I would ignore all other form and just concentrate on horses who have done well there before

2.10 Vin Rouge was a CD winner on Good ground last August. Beat 7 others that day by 3l. His price looks too big at 22/1 each way.

3.45 Montys Award was a CD winner last year. Looks an ok price ew at 17/2

Nothing serious a small ew Patent on those three!

Cheers. I'll have a look on Racing Post and see what odds I can get. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    I think everyone is doing West Ham down and thinking Leicester have got it easy today.

As @Shrews notes above, the difference between 12th and 16th is lots of money.  And WH beating Leicester by 2, and Chelsea being beaten by 1 will put us above them.  Moyes will have told the team to not let their levels down to keep intensity high, and he is also ethical and he knows he owes it to all the other teams, particularly Everton and Leeds to not give Leicester an easy time.  Add that he has a soft spot for Everton too so that comes into play. 

I’m going for Leicester 1 WH 3
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Leeds' best bet is to come at us from the kick off and try and score early. Last week's debacle against Brentford saw us uncharacteristically dominate the first half but we managed to arse it up in the second half.

Hit us early on in what has been this season our period of early fragility (which can last for anywhere between 1and 90 minutes) and then put up a big Sam approved mass defence.