Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    sev112 said:
    I think everyone is doing West Ham down and thinking Leicester have got it easy today.

As @Shrews notes above, the difference between 12th and 16th is lots of money.  And WH beating Leicester by 2, and Chelsea being beaten by 1 will put us above them.  Moyes will have told the team to not let their levels down to keep intensity high, and he is also ethical and he knows he owes it to all the other teams, particularly Everton and Leeds to not give Leicester an easy time.  Add that he has a soft spot for Everton too so that comes into play. 

I’m going for Leicester 1 WH 3
    At the very least you'd assume Moyes would want momentum heading into the final.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    tony99 said:
    sev112 said:
    I think everyone is doing West Ham down and thinking Leicester have got it easy today.

As @Shrews notes above, the difference between 12th and 16th is lots of money.  And WH beating Leicester by 2, and Chelsea being beaten by 1 will put us above them.  Moyes will have told the team to not let their levels down to keep intensity high, and he is also ethical and he knows he owes it to all the other teams, particularly Everton and Leeds to not give Leicester an easy time.  Add that he has a soft spot for Everton too so that comes into play. 

I’m going for Leicester 1 WH 3
    At the very least you'd assume Moyes would want momentum heading into the final.
    Yep, all fair points with regards to Moyes but what he says and what he gets might be completely different. I can't see the players, especially the key players, going in 100% and risking injury for a game quite possibly the highlight of their career. 

Moyes however may well expect more from the fringe players, give them a chance of proving themselves. No surprises if some of them step up to the mark. The key players won't be dropped regardless of how they play today. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    2003 and the final table was that Leeds and Leicester went down with Everton finishing 17th - deja vu ??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    So why should Wolves be worried about FFL - Everton don't - Not sure what the hell issuing on with Chelsea's losses - Leicester have just written of nearly 200 million by converting the loan into equity to avoid FFL - I'm sure there has been sanctions but can anyone point out who last received any form of sanctions from the PL - be it a fine or transfer ban - Recall Chelsea getting a ban but won an appeal shortly after to one window ban only 
    Do you mean FFP?
    yes
    tFB Trader
    extra time for Stockport v Carlisle - Penalty time again shortly 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Here we good luck Evrerton Leicester and Leeds

im planning on sinking some red wine, falling asleep until 2nd half injury time when the real action starts :)  all sorts of combinations to come 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I'd prefer Spurs *not* to win today (though I see someone called "Kane" has just scored).

No disrespect to WHU fans  ;)

I think we'd go into a qualifying round pre-season - and probably won't have a manager in place by then.  Plus I'd rather focus on the domestic competitions and avoid the midweek disruptions of trips to the furthest corners of Europe ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    scrumhalf said:
    Leeds' best bet is to come at us from the kick off and try and score early. Last week's debacle against Brentford saw us uncharacteristically dominate the first half but we managed to arse it up in the second half.

Hit us early on in what has been this season our period of early fragility (which can last for anywhere between 1and 90 minutes) and then put up a big Sam approved mass defence. 
    That aged well.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    A Granit Xhaka hat-trick to sign off his Arsenal career? Surely not, he's got 2 already! Let's sign off the season with a big win eh.

Not keen on Partey and Kiwior doing this inverted-wing/full-back thing. Tierney's gonna leave by the looks of it.

And I think its Leeds and Leicester that will go down today.
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 114
    Everton fan here. This is horrible... At least Spurs are up! Leicester win and an Everton draw and we're done for. The reality is the three teams are so bad they might all get beat.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    edited May 2023
    Octavio said:
    Everton fan here. This is horrible... At least Spurs are up! Leicester win and an Everton draw and we're done for. The reality is the three teams are so bad they might all get beat.
    As an Everton fan that was a tough 45 
    And the next 45 I suspect will be worse. 
    Not buying a quality back up to sick note DCL is gonna cost us our place at the top table 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Fuck me that was stressful 

my other team play celtic next Saturday so have it all to go through again 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Everton survived today’s examination, a 1 - 0 win over Bournemouth was enough to retain their PL status. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    I feel really bad for Leicester and Leeds, pleased for Everton and NottmF

ive had bad feelings ever since last summer’s West Ham friendly at Reading. last time I went to that we got relegated so I’ve been stressed all year.

Am hoping for WH and ManC wins in the finals - will that be 8 teams in Europe next year ??

and a women’s’ World Cup to come L
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I was out walking the dog and kept looking at scores. Everton - I couldn't believe all that extra time, that must have been painful!

Relegation is a bummer but teams can come back stronger. Tough getting out of the Championship though.
    edited May 2023 tFB Trader
    Angry but not disappointed - Anger aimed at all the internal issues at Elland Rd - Well done to Everton - But sort out your own issues as you can't keep leaving it for the last 2/3 games to survive - You should be better than that and you know that

How did we manage to make Spurs look credible - Hope Spurs thank us for having the good will to allow Moura to score a goal and say good bye to his fans - Makes you wonder how many goals Harry would get in a competitive side - I dare say it won't take long to find out

Irony that Leicester and Leeds went down together 2003/2004 with Everton finishing 17th 

Bye for now - But we'll be back, hopefully sooner rather than later
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    axisus said:
    Tough getting out of the Championship though.
    Luton managed it, so it can’t be that hard 
    :D 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    Disappointing from us (Bournemouth) today. Everton fans created a great atmosphere but mediocre football with 1-0 result sadly. 
    I don't care much who's got relegated - at least its not Cherries - but I'm saddened to see Leicester to go down, I'd prefer Everton. Well done them though and hopefully fans can celebrate and invade the pitch for better reasons than a lucky result in the final game of the season vs mediocre performance from AFCB. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited May 2023
       Commiserations to Leeds and Leicester. Hopefully you’ll be back soon. 

Congratulations to Everton.  As a Man City fan, I’ve always felt a certain affiliation with Everton….both being the underdog teams in their respective cities for much of the last 50 years. Hopefully this escape will be the turning point for your leadership to re-focus and get things right. As much as I like Dyche as a person, I’m not sure about his coaching style. Brighton, Brentford and Fulham, not to mention Kompany’s success at Burnley, suggest there is a way to play creative football with limited resources. But maybe a year or two of the Dyche medicine is needed to stabilise things?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Gutted for Stockport today.

Happy United finished 3rd, especially after such a bad start to the season. Wasn’t too fussed about finishing 3rd or 4th but good to finish above Newcastle, who have been great.

Looking forward to the FA cup.
    TTony said:
    axisus said:
    Tough getting out of the Championship though.
    Luton managed it, so it can’t be that hard 
    :D 
    Touche! To be honest we had two blinding seasons in a row, I thought that we would struggle in the Championship but the stars aligned for us.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715

Gutted for Stockport today.

Happy United finished 3rd, especially after such a bad start to the season. Wasn’t too fussed about finishing 3rd or 4th but good to finish above Newcastle, who have been great.

Looking forward to the FA cup.
    The results for me today have been great. Leeds relegated. Leicester relegated (don't like Lineker), City beaten by the Mighty Bees, but best of all United getting third spot. 

Might not mean much to you United haters but to be third in the premiership after not a single penny invested in the club in 17 years, yet greedy twat owners taking out nearly 2 billion out of the club in that time is a fantastic achievement. We were top of the pile until the Glazers came along and it been a battle since. Most clubs wouldn't have lasted more than a couple of years. For us to still be where we are shouldn't be underestimated. If we can find a buyer than will see us as a football club rather than a cash cow then we will wipe the floor with everyone. 19 premiership clubs have already lodged objection to a successful Qatari bid. I'd love to see City and Newcastle's objection why we shouldn't be bought out by arab money. Clowns the lot of 'em. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Devil#20 said:

... greedy twat owners taking out nearly 2 billion out of the club ...

I absolutely DESPISE the Glazers. That sort of ownership should not be allowed in Sport. The scum need to be totally removed in any takeover. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    We woz robbed (etc)
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    Devil#20 said:

... greedy twat owners taking out nearly 2 billion out of the club ...

I absolutely DESPISE the Glazers. That sort of ownership should not be allowed in Sport. The scum need to be totally removed in any takeover. 
    The issue is how do you know who they really are until they have their feet firmly in the board room - Such venture capitalist deals are common in the 'City/Wall Street' etc - I'm not saying it is right and to be honest it is morally wrong in many instances, as assets in companies are stripped accordingly to suit the big money guys - Their is nothing illegal in what they are doing and I dare say the Glazers, via such a strong brand as Man U, help to hi-light the awareness of what is going on in with venture capitalists/funding/buy-outs, as you rarely see/hear about it with many other buy outs 

There is a case to be said that the actual fans who attend OT could come up with a protest - If such an issue existed with say a petrol station/brand, or a high street clothes brand, you'd boycott it - One person boycotting it won't make any difference, but if everyone boycotted that brand, you'd soon see a response - So for say one game, or one month, then no fans turn up at OT - None at all - Or for one month no one buys a single item from the on site club shop and no food/drink at the ground - It won't kill the business, but will be a statement - But probably not enough to make any difference to the thick skinned Glazers
    Fantastic scenes in Luton today for the open top bus! Amazing atmosphere, many 1000s of people out, young and old, all races (Luton is a very multi-ethnic town). I think that this is something that towns maybe appreciate more than the 'big' clubs. The whole town seems to come together, and it's a massive boost for local economy. Go Luton!!!!!!!!!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^ @axisus - I passed comment on this thread a few days ago - Such celebrations for the 'smaller un-fancied' clubs somehow means more, than a glory club winning another trophy - For the elite clubs and players it is as Roy Keane's says 'they're only doing their job' - For clubs like Luton, Carlisle, Notts County, Plymouth recently and hopefully for West Ham in a few days time, such events only happen every 10/20/30 years - In between many mediocre/sad days - So somehow the elation means more and often more 'localised' to the appropriate local area 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    I'd love to see City and Newcastle's objection why we shouldn't be bought out by arab money. Clowns the lot of 'em. 
    Newcastle wise, Its unlikely to be anything ethical of course??. More likely to be related to the fact that Man U opposed newcastle takeover alongside 17 other premiership clubs. As well as an utter despise for Man U in the NUFC fan base.  Fair game i reckon.

Not even sure NUFC would be bothered to oppose, unless there is evidence?. But if true, of course they would object just like Man U did first time round.

Man City? dunno but i guess the sentiment from fans is the same as NUFC fans.

Think Man U do well next season agree and you have had for me best season since fergie left. Now playing and focussing on football even with the whole glazer out thing. I think you come second next year.

But on the clown thing and NUFC opposition (if true), what exactly did you expect ffs lol.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    Fantastic scenes in Luton today for the open top bus! Amazing atmosphere, many 1000s of people out, young and old, all races (Luton is a very multi-ethnic town). I think that this is something that towns maybe appreciate more than the 'big' clubs. The whole town seems to come together, and it's a massive boost for local economy. Go Luton!!!!!!!!!

heard they played 'bring me sunshine'
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    I don’t understand the problem with the owner taking his profits from his investment. If he had opened a hardware store who complains if his investment makes him a lot of money. The shops customers might complain or more likely go elsewhere for their purchases. In professional sport, fans are actually customers. The Man Us, Liverpools etc might have started up as local members football clubs around a century ago, but all has changed in the meantime. The club might have the same name, play on the same ground but now it is seriously big business. The local connection is long broken, the owners could be Arabs, American or wherever there is sufficient money to buy the club. As long as customers (sorry, fans) pay at the turnstiles, who is the criticism aimed at?

It is tradition to support the local club, it is just that local club is now anything but local. It is a business. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter