Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    joneve said:
    Happy Bobby Zamora day btw @guitars4you :) 
    confused - haven't got that yet - Unless it was the day that he scored in the play off v Derby at Wembley ?
    Bingo 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Delighted that Saka has signed a new contract to stay with us til 2027. He's been great this season although trailed off in the past month or so, Arteta needs to manage his game time better as he will get burnt out pretty quick.

Hopefully we secure Saliba and Odegaard on long term deals too and build the team around them.
    I think a dedicated RB, who can overlap, as/when required will help him - I'm a Ben White fan and he has done well at RB but it is not his strength, especially with regards to skill and speed that position requires - Additionally I think at times he needs to be less predictive especially when the opposition park the bus and offer you less space to work in - aka v Forest last game as a recent reference

Assuming he leaves West Ham, then I hope Rice goes to Arsenal - Will be handy to keep his home in London - Rather than go overseas or Man City, Man Utd or LFC. 
    Definitely need a proper RB. Tomiyasu isn't reliable anymore as he's spent most of this season injured. Someone like Caicedo who can play there and in midfield would be good. Or Reece James. Rice will probably go to Chelsea knowing us with teh Mudryk situation. They'll do anything to stop us getting him.

There's some silly talk of us selling Partey and Xhaka. I don't think we should sell either even if we do get Rice and Caicedo. We need experience as well as youth. Partey's just been off as Saliba's injury means he has to drop deeper as whoever plays in the right centre back position in place doesn't press as high. Xhaka I'll give him credit has improved and become one of the leaders on the pitch so to lose him for a crap fee to Leverkusen would be a shame. 
    Xhaka is 100% leaving.

And there are, allegedly, some non-football reasons why you might be glad of losing Partey.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    confused - haven't got that yet - Unless it was the day that he scored in the play off v Derby at Wembley ?
    Bingo 
    and with 10 men I recall
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4008
    Mason Mount to man utd rumours gathering speed! 
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1591
    "Slot Not a Tot".... 

What a shambles at my beloved WHL currently... running out of options now..

Please not Rodgers.. I'd give Potter a chance to rebuild perhaps.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    joneve said:
    When the ball hits your head 
    And you're sat in row Z
    That's Zamora... 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    "Slot Not a Tot".... 

Hard to know how good Potter is - Yes I know he earned some good brownie points on his way through a journey of  'lower clubs' to Brighton - Don't want this to sound wrong, but is it easier to run a team of non-achievers, compared to a huge egotistical elite as per Chelsea ?

I certainly expect there to be far more politics within the club and about running Chelsea - Far higher expectations that they want instant success - Far more egos who feel they are bigger/better than the manager - Not wanting to work to the managers ideas - Not getting a regular starting position and/or playing out of position - Could go on and on

With Brighton it is more of a case of an owner with a vision, plus a manager with potential working together to see how far they can go on this trip - Add to that, players who have not being part of the 'big time' (I know Mac is a world cup winner but that wasn't the case 2/3 years ago) - Everyone enjoying a style of play and a breath of fresh air attitude - Less pressure and let everyone on board enjoy the journey 

Not sure where Potter will go next, assuming an English club - There was suggestion West Ham if Moyes went but that is less likely for now - Possibly Leicester if they stay up (but they have many players out of contract soon and the funds don't appear to be there for now) - Like a playing moving up thru' the ranks, it is always a risk when a manager has to move up a notch 
    tFB Trader
    joeyowen said:
    And even talk about Neymar - I'd have thought they'd have had enough of massive egotistical players - Talented yes - Mardy git 100% 
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1591
    "Slot Not a Tot".... 

Don't want this to sound wrong, but is it easier to run a team of non-achievers, compared to a huge egotistical elite as per Chelsea ?

My beloved Spurs then??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476

With Brighton it is more of a case of an owner with a vision, plus a manager with potential working together to see how far they can go on this trip - Add to that, players who have not being part of the 'big time' (I know Mac is a world cup winner but that wasn't the case 2/3 years ago) - Everyone enjoying a style of play and a breath of fresh air attitude - Less pressure and let everyone on board enjoy the journey 

As a Palace fan it sticks in the throat on one hand to see Brighton doing so well but you can't fault them really, lovely football,  a team ethic with no prima donnas and a spot in Europe for the fans to celebrate.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    joeyowen said:
    And even talk about Neymar - I'd have thought they'd have had enough of massive egotistical players - Talented yes - Mardy git 100% 
    I'm fearful of Neymar joining Man U. No good can come of it. He's both Mr sick note and Mr diver. Amazing talent for sure but somewhat wasted on him in my opinion. I'd take a Tevez every day over someone like him. Tevez always gave 110%. Neymar will be just like Pogba.

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Neymar will get continually booted up in the air by everyone - he comes across as very dislikable on the pitch
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Have they not learn any lesson from Ronaldo? Neymar would be worse, too injury prone and on the tail end of his career, last big contract before he retires.  
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Neymar wont be signing for Utd 
    he does not fit with what ETH is trying to do there. All paper and agent talk 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Neymar wont be signing for Utd 
    he does not fit with what ETH is trying to do there. All paper and agent talk 
    Absolutely this.

Not least, think about the fact that the Club is currently in the process (hopefully) of being sold. The current owners are hardly going to be actively pursuing transfers at this stage.

Total bollocks. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    So, we're not going to become Slottenham Slotspur.

The looming spectre of Brendan Rogers grows ever larger. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    "Slot Not a Tot".... 

Hard to know how good Potter is - Yes I know he earned some good brownie points on his way through a journey of  'lower clubs' to Brighton - Don't want this to sound wrong, but is it easier to run a team of non-achievers, compared to a huge egotistical elite as per Chelsea ?

Not entirely unexpectedly, the Spurs manager hunt is turning into another farce.  

Quite how the management get into this position is beyond me.  It's not like the manager is an insignificant job.  It's not like Spurs haven't burned through a few managers in the last decade or two.

Any half-decent competent management (ie Board) should have a continually updating succession plan.  Even if they didn't, Conte had been signposting his departure for a while before he actually left.  

Now we're left with the embarrassment of the press continually speculating about who's "favourite", only to see each one rule themselves out (understandably).  Who's looking incompetent here?  

FWIW, I'd be happy to try Potter too.  Brighton's current success is based on the foundation work that he did over the past couple of years, it's not because de Zerbi is a miracle-worker (though he may be).  Potter at Chelsea was always an odd move, but I could see him at Spurs, working quietly without upsetting Levy, not demanding mega-£m transfers (he's probably had his fill of them for a while), and there'd be a nice symmetry of Potter at Spurs and Poch at Chelsea.

Although Big Sam is probably going to be looking around come the weekend ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Great interview last night on Radio 5 with the CEO of Brighton explaining a few things about how they run the club.  Not sure if there is catch-up for Radio but worth 10 minutes if it's available.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    Hattigol said:
    Delighted that Saka has signed a new contract to stay with us til 2027. He's been great this season although trailed off in the past month or so, Arteta needs to manage his game time better as he will get burnt out pretty quick.

Hopefully we secure Saliba and Odegaard on long term deals too and build the team around them.
    I think a dedicated RB, who can overlap, as/when required will help him - I'm a Ben White fan and he has done well at RB but it is not his strength, especially with regards to skill and speed that position requires - Additionally I think at times he needs to be less predictive especially when the opposition park the bus and offer you less space to work in - aka v Forest last game as a recent reference

Assuming he leaves West Ham, then I hope Rice goes to Arsenal - Will be handy to keep his home in London - Rather than go overseas or Man City, Man Utd or LFC. 
    Definitely need a proper RB. Tomiyasu isn't reliable anymore as he's spent most of this season injured. Someone like Caicedo who can play there and in midfield would be good. Or Reece James. Rice will probably go to Chelsea knowing us with teh Mudryk situation. They'll do anything to stop us getting him.

There's some silly talk of us selling Partey and Xhaka. I don't think we should sell either even if we do get Rice and Caicedo. We need experience as well as youth. Partey's just been off as Saliba's injury means he has to drop deeper as whoever plays in the right centre back position in place doesn't press as high. Xhaka I'll give him credit has improved and become one of the leaders on the pitch so to lose him for a crap fee to Leverkusen would be a shame. 
    Xhaka is 100% leaving.

And there are, allegedly, some non-football reasons why you might be glad of losing Partey.
    I'd rather lose him of the two, he's got some red mist in him every now and then and can be a liability. 

Can't speak on the Partey allegations, not sure how much truth there is in that.

I don't want Mason Mount as a replacement though.
    Have they not learn any lesson from Ronaldo? Neymar would be worse, too injury prone and on the tail end of his career, last big contract before he retires.  
    Another thing that REALLY bugs me about Neymar - I seem to recall that when he moved to PSG his agent (his dad) pocketed around £80 million. If that is true it is soooo wrong. This is where football went wrong - clubs paying agents. Agents should have just been paid by their clients, a fraction of the money they actually get. No big club money at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    axisus said:
    Another thing that REALLY bugs me about Neymar - I seem to recall that when he moved to PSG his agent (his dad) pocketed around £80 million. If that is true it is soooo wrong. This is where football went wrong - clubs paying agents. Agents should have just been paid by their clients, a fraction of the money they actually get. No big club money at all.
    Absolutely, agents fees and the way the payments are structured  (as you say, by the  clubs) are a massive issue in the modern game. Plus they're almost always overlooked by people who spout on thinking they have a clue about football finances.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    TTony said:
    joeyowen said:
    Woo!  Eze made the England squad!  Happy for him.... somehow so did Maguire??
    I remember, when he was still at QPR, hoping that Spurs would manage to grab Eze.  

Though, if we had, he'd probably not be in the England squad now.  

Southgate places a lot of emphasis/value on the squad being a known, stable entity, rather than players being called up or dropped on the basis of a few good or bad games for their teams.  Though ManU fans might suggest that Maguire has had a few more than a few bad games this season.  And last season ....

@TTony, international managers pick players who will play the game the way the manager wants his team to play. Form helps but dependability is more important. Everyone has a go at the inclusion of Maguire in the England squad. Maguire has good qualities, speed is not one of them, the qualities he has are beneficial to the team. 

It is and always will be hard for a player to get on to the international team squad. From the managers viewpoint it is a jigsaw puzzle selecting his squad. Allowing the newspapers to influence his selection is a recipe for failure. Let Southgate pick his team and English fans get behind the team even if their preferred players are not in the squad. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    "Slot Not a Tot".... 

Not entirely unexpectedly, the Spurs manager hunt is turning into another farce.  

Quite how the management get into this position is beyond me.  It's not like the manager is an insignificant job.  It's not like Spurs haven't burned through a few managers in the last decade or two.

Any half-decent competent management (ie Board) should have a continually updating succession plan.  Even if they didn't, Conte had been signposting his departure for a while before he actually left.  

Now we're left with the embarrassment of the press continually speculating about who's "favourite", only to see each one rule themselves out (understandably).  Who's looking incompetent here?  

FWIW, I'd be happy to try Potter too.  Brighton's current success is based on the foundation work that he did over the past couple of years, it's not because de Zerbi is a miracle-worker (though he may be).  Potter at Chelsea was always an odd move, but I could see him at Spurs, working quietly without upsetting Levy, not demanding mega-£m transfers (he's probably had his fill of them for a while), and there'd be a nice symmetry of Potter at Spurs and Poch at Chelsea.

That should save us around £2 million stay up bonus money 
    TTony said:

That should save us around £2 million stay up bonus money 

Every cloud ...
    :D
    I'm feeling so tense already abut the Luton match tomorrow. As mentioned on the TV this morning, it's the richest game in world football, worth at least £180 million to the winner. It's going to be elation to win but the depths of despair to lose.

Interesting fact - If Luton win, Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu could become the first ever player to rise from non-league to the Premier League with the same club. 

Luton vs Coventry, may the best team win ....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    I'm rooting for Luton tomorrow, would be great to see you make it back into the top tier. Plus Cov beat us so they can do one

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

I don't suppose that anyone is that interested, but this is a nice little write up on Luton/Coventry:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-26/luton-town-coventry-city-championship-playoff-final-kenilworth/102371380
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    Just dropped in to say the mighty Jags are on fire!!! I'm so glad I support a yo-yo club - never a dull moment  ;)
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    axisus said:
    I'm feeling so tense already abut the Luton match tomorrow. As mentioned on the TV this morning, it's the richest game in world football, worth at least £180 million to the winner. It's going to be elation to win but the depths of despair to lose.

Interesting fact - If Luton win, Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu could become the first ever player to rise from non-league to the Premier League with the same club. 

Luton vs Coventry, may the best team win ....
    Tense at Wembley, @axisus - are you watching?

WOW @axisus ;

Did you survive???