Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    jellyroll said:
    City fan, just back from Wembley. What a lovely day out!  
    Going to Istanbul?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Didn't see the match, but losing a goal in the first minute is pathetic. What the hell was going on there!?!

Disappointed to not win, but at the end of the day City are the better team. I remember Man U being all over Arsenal one cup final years ago and we lost on bloody penalties, that was much more painful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Deadman said:
    Wow, what a piece of sh*t. I hope he pays dearly for that in some way.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4008
    Deadman said:
    Ban the prick for life.  Hope he gets a massive punishment.

I saw a phew inflatable planes today too, it's disgusting.  It's not related to any particular club, it's just pricks using football as a vessel for their scum behaviour.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    Football season finale tomorrow. Already bricking it....
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Are you a Partick man, @ewal ?  2 - 0 lead is a good start...

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Losing to Celtic in the final yesterday will be slightly offset by watching Ross C*unty get relegated today
    Nitefly said:

Yes. Sitting in the Dingwall sun as I post. Can't help feeling we missed a huge opportunity on Thursday. We had them on the ropes.

Think it's finely balanced. Will enjoy/savour it if we win, but it's been a great end to the season no matter the result. And I think I prefer Championship football anyway!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    ewal said:
    Nitefly said:

Yes. Sitting in the Dingwall sun as I post. Can't help feeling we missed a huge opportunity on Thursday. We had them on the ropes.

Think it's finely balanced. Will enjoy/savour it if we win, but it's been a great end to the season no matter the result. And I think I prefer Championship football anyway!
    If we get the job done today then construction of Dools statue on Firhill Road should start tomorrow morning.

And if we don't, then my winnings from yesterday's bet that County win the tie (a life hedge, if you will) might soften the blow. A little bit at least. 
    I think you have enough to get the job done @ewal ;
    good luck to ya 
    don’t mind Partick Thistle , as an ictfc fan I hate the C*unty 
    Or maybe not enough to get the job done 

good match tho 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    Shite. 

who knew that rinsing the bookies could be so unsatisfying. 
    Teams the finish 3rd or 4th in championship don’t get promoted , 4 pressure games before you even get near an spl club. It’s heavily weighted in the spl clubs favour 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    And that's yer play-off football right there folks. Shitey VAR decision and we fall apart. Ach well, playing in the premiership is no fun anyway...
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Good luck to all you West Ham fans for Wed night
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    May be a lone voice on this but I hope they get royally stuffed. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Good luck to all you West Ham fans for Wed night
    Agreed. Up the Irons!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1591
    TTony said:
    Celtic play good football.  Plenty of quick forward passing, players who know where the opposition's goal is, if a little vaguely at times.

(For some obscure reason, for a Spurs fan, I watched the Scottish Cup Final).

Nice article about him on the bbc sports website today..  I think I'm softening on the idea..

COYS
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    And the indestructible Zlat retires, at 41...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65806224
    ewal said:
    And that's yer play-off football right there folks. Shitey VAR decision and we fall apart. Ach well, playing in the premiership is no fun anyway...
    Determined to move on and not stew over that play-off, but.... The fact it was the police who decided which end the penalty shoot-out was at, seems a tad unsporting... Is it common for police to decide away support are too over-excited, pissed etc to behave during a shoot-out?

It would be better if they just stated up front that penalty shoot-outs will take place at home end of the ground, and that it is just part of home advantage...
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 868
    edited June 2023
    TTony said:
    Celtic play good football.  Plenty of quick forward passing, players who know where the opposition's goal is, if a little vaguely at times.

Nice article about him on the bbc sports website today..  I think I'm softening on the idea..

COYS

Sadly I think most Spurs fans know where this will end up. The Scottish Prem is worlds away from the Premier League. I hate to say it, because I remember when Scotland regularly produced great players, but there are probably a few guys on here who could successfully manage a team in Scotland at the moment.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    TTony said:

COYS

Sadly I think most Spurs fans know where this will end up. The Scottish Prem is world's away from the Premier League. I hate to say it, because I remember when Scotland regularly produced great players, but there are probably a few guys on here who could successfully manage a team in Scotland at the moment.
    utter nonsense spoken by someone who has obviously no idea about Scottish football at all 

Ange has managed at International level but isnt good enough for Spurs? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 868
    edited June 2023
    TTony said:

COYS

Sadly I think most Spurs fans know where this will end up. The Scottish Prem is world's away from the Premier League. I hate to say it, because I remember when Scotland regularly produced great players, but there are probably a few guys on here who could successfully manage a team in Scotland at the moment.
    utter nonsense spoken by someone who has obviously no idea about Scottish football at all 

You're right that I don't watch Scottish football, but I can't think of one manager in the modern era (apart from Alex Ferguson) who's won up in Scotland and then not ended up fighting relegation, or at best been very average in the Premier League. International level is not all that either in this day and age. It's more of a last stop for coaches before retirement.

He seems like a very decent guy and I hope he succeeds, but I'm not confident at all.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    TTony said:

COYS

You're right that I don't watch Scottish football, but I can't think of one manager in the modern era (apart from Alex Ferguson) who's won up in Scotland and then not ended up fighting relegation, or at best been very average in the Premier League. International level is not all that either in this day and age. It's more of a last stop for coaches before retirement.

He seems like a very decent guy and I hope he succeeds, but I'm not confident at all.
    He should suit Spurs nicely! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    I remember the time when Spurs actually won things.  The FA Cup when it was the biggest prize in British Football.  That was then but the same can be said about Arsenal, Coventry, Aston Villa, Everton, Wimbledon, Stoke and a lot of the rest..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Nitefly said:

A great character and a superb footballer. I wish he'd come to Man U in his prime.

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    Nitefly said:

What a player. To think he nearly signed for Arsenal when he was like 17, but he said to Arsene Wenger "I don't do trials..."

The overhead kick vs England was insanely executed. To even think about doing that was crazy. For such a big guy he's got quick feet. Was exciting seeing him in the Premiership (albeit for Utd).
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143

COYS
    Certainly a different approach to Moaniho and Conte.  So at least Levy has learned *not* to repeat that style of manager.

I watched the Scottish cup final just to see how Celtic played.  If he gets Spurs playing with the same level of energy, and playing similarly attacking football, then we should at least have a more enjoyable season ahead. I’d not expect us to whimper out of cup competitions next season, or get out-competed by any team that bothers to try for more that 15 mins if the 90. 

There’s a long list of possible managers who would likely have been worse, and a very short list of managers who I’d have preferred.

Interesting comment that he’d have a bit of a complete reset opportunity if Kane does go (though I still don’t think he will).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Just because Ange has won stuff in Scotland doesn't mean he will win stuff in England.

However, just because he won stuff in Scotland doesn't mean he won't win stuff in England. 

Schrodinger Hotspur. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1591
    I think it seems he has an eye for a player.. and can organise a team to perform well and win things...  gotta count for summat.. ie. not Nuno
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?