Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    Well done ex-Shrewsbury Town player David Moyes on your first trophy!

Good to see West Ham get over the line. Lots of hard work and preparation gone into that result. 

If you're a West Ham fan savour the moment and cherish a great victory

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    I’ve been drinking the Claret all evening 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    We done it!!!!! Unbelievable. 
    Big Congrats to WHU. 

As @guitars4you has said elsewhere, really get the feeling that this means a LOT more to West Ham and their fans than winning does to the clubs more accustomed to winning.

And what a way to do it.  Deserved, IMHO.
    I think it does as such clubs, from any division, have to take their chances when they can - Often generations apart from their last trophy/success - So take it when you can and thoroughly enjoy the moment 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Just a thought.  Italian clubs could end up being runners up in all 3 European competitions.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited June 2023
    sev112 said:
    We done it!!!!! Unbelievable. 
    All down to our season long positivity mate  
    Moyes in, right lol

guitars4you said: TeleMaster said: We done it!!!!! Unbelievable.  Now go and get hammered - Well done

I've got work tmw. I was at the urinal thinking, I've had too much to drink lol. 

COYI!!! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Parade today too! 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    Looks like quite a night for all the fans in the Prague (especially at the fan zone up the hill).
    Good for WHU for winning a trophy, especially for Rice. 
    Football wasn't great but whole evening quite enjoyable nonetheless. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    @sev112 @TeleMaster + other Hammer fans - sore head this morning + day off work ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Fair play.

Not sure either team deserved to lift the trophy based on the level of performance…. But the scenes at the end were great, and to win it with a couple of mins to go must feel amazing. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    There's some excellent footage over on the KUMB forum. Plenty of fans eating humble pie over Moyes' future, and enjoying it!

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Not a great performance, too many crappy little fouls, a couple of idiots in the crowd but it was a great winner to seal it in the 90th minute.  To do that in a final must be an amazing feeling.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • khaotickhaotic Frets: 103
    43 fecking years I've been waiting for another trophy. I was 18 when we won the last one, and at the time it seemed like they were coming along fairly regularly - 64, 65, 75, 80, surely another one will be along any time now...

I feel curiously deflated afterwards - great feelings as the goals went in, but kind of numb this morning
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    Loved it!

West Ham fan since 1964 and the first European trophy we've won since 1965.

History was made last night.
    @sev112 @TeleMaster + other Hammer fans - sore head this morning + day off work ?
    Yea a bit hungover more sore than anything for some reason. I'll be going to the parade tonight if I can shake this stiffness lol.
    khaotic said:
    43 fecking years I've been waiting for another trophy. I was 18 when we won the last one, and at the time it seemed like they were coming along fairly regularly - 64, 65, 75, 80, surely another one will be along any time now...

I feel curiously deflated afterwards - great feelings as the goals went in, but kind of numb this morning
    It can be quite normal to feel an anti climax. I feel elated.
    Shrews said:
    There's some excellent footage over on the KUMB forum. Plenty of fans eating humble pie over Moyes' future, and enjoying it!

Wouldn't be surprised if he leaves because of the treatment and goes to Celtic. He's from Glasgow and I believe he's a fan. Also, they've got an amazing fanbase.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Delighted for West Ham.

And I'd like City to win theirs too.
    edited June 2023
    Delighted for West Ham.

And I'd like City to win theirs too.
    You know it's strange because it will be an Italian team in every final, and if they lose to CIty (which is likely) they would have all lost which would be a funny coincidence. I wonder if it's happened before? Maybe a future football trivia question.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Great win for West Ham! I don't know why I'm so happy about it, but it was great to see all the fans reactions etc. I just don't get that with the 'big' clubs, I won't be particularly happy to see City win at the weekend, or their fans ...
    edited June 2023
    Shrews said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he leaves because of the treatment and goes to Celtic. He's from Glasgow and I believe he's a fan. Also, they've got an amazing fanbase.
    Fans are fickle. Get off to a bad start next year and knocked out of Europe and no doubt they will be calling for his head. Then he will surely be wishing he'd taken the Celtic job!  It would be unusual to leave on such a high but Celtic and Moyes seem made for each other and perhaps his CV has never looked as good as what it does now. 

I think the guy needs a few weeks in the Maldives to think about it.

First signing - Declan Rice!
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 868
    edited June 2023
    axisus said:
    Great win for West Ham! I don't know why I'm so happy about it, but it was great to see all the fans reactions etc. I just don't get that with the 'big' clubs, I won't be particularly happy to see City win at the weekend, or their fans ...

West Ham have always had a very strong fan base in my lifetime.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Jose left the Inter job for Real a day after he won the CL I recall.  His stock has never been higher since he left Everton all those years ago.  If he wins with Celtic, which he should do, he can always come back to the PL again. 
  • khaotickhaotic Frets: 103
    A whole 14 hours since the final whistle and our beloved chairprick has shoved his bit fat mouth into things with his well-refined sense of tact and perfect reading of the room, by announcing Declan Rice will be leaving, before even having the victory parade (which was itself organised for time before most of the away fans will be home from Prague). What a fucking bellend :#
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    axisus said:

Yeah, they do, I didn't word it very well but I meant the big currently successful teams - City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal. 

I think I read that 20K West Ham fans turned up just to watch in the Prague Fan zone!!
  • axisus said:
    axisus said:

Yeah, they do, I didn't word it very well but I meant the big currently successful teams - City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal. 

I think I read that 20K West Ham fans turned up just to watch in the Prague Fan zone!!

It wasn't a criticism, just an observation :-)

Do you remember Chelsea's fans base in the '80s? Pretty bloody small as I remember.
    Went to the parade! Absolute scenes.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    A lot of talk about K Phillips at Man City and barely played a game this season, with only the odd fleeting sub appearance as well - Already 2 medals this year and a chance of a CL winners medal for barely helping the cause

Yet hidden within Man City's players is Scott Carson - Funnily enough ex Leeds again, at academy level and a few 1st team games - But when Liverpool won the CL in that epic final v Milan in 2005, Scott Carson was part of the LFC team and won a CL medal - He is now on for his 2nd CL medal - Many great and distinguished players never win any European medal, Scott might have 2 within the next 48 hours

Here is his contribution to both causes

5 Apr 2005, Quarter-Final 1st leg, Liverpool v Juventus, full 90 minutes.
    3 Sep 2022, Last 16 2nd leg, Man City v Sporting CP, 73rd minute substitute appearance at 5-0 agg score.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143

3 Sep 2022, Last 16 2nd leg, Man City v Sporting CP, 73rd minute substitute appearance at 5-0 agg score.
    I always thought that a player had to be involved (on the pitch/bench) for a certain % of matches in a competition for them to get a medal at the end of it?

Surely, if you're a reserve for getting on the bench for the bench for a couple of games, that'd not be enough involvement to pick up a medal?

(I've no idea what level of involvement Scott Carson has had, so this is more a general Q than about him specifically). 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited June 2023 tFB Trader
    TTony said:

I always thought that a player had to be involved (on the pitch/bench) for a certain % of matches in a competition for them to get a medal at the end of it?

Surely, if you're a reserve for getting on the bench for the bench for a couple of games, that'd not be enough involvement to pick up a medal?

(I've no idea what level of involvement Scott Carson has had, so this is more a general Q than about him specifically). 
    I think it has all changed - Look at the 1966 WC and for years the squad players got nothing - Yet equally many never played a game and are now WC winners 

Look at John Terry - banned for the final, but still lifted the trophy and a winners medal - Might need correcting on this but didn't Roy Keane and Paul Scholes think it was wrong/not worthy they received a CL medal when they missed the cup final 

Now only need 5 sub appearances to win a PL medal 

Slightly bizarre for the CL - The winning team get 40 medals, so can be allocated  within the club as the manager chooses - So Debbie the tea lady can get one - Yet the runners up are only allocated 30 medals (just in case you actually want one)
    tFB Trader
    So who wants City to win tomorrow - Who doesn't care

I want them to win - Hope it is in style but often such big matches are a let down if you want to see exciting entertaining matches - Will be nice to see the two Leeds lads win (Haaland and Phillips) plus the Yorkshire lads (Walker and Stones the Barnsley Beckenbauer)

Never a fan of Italian clubs after blatant match fixing costs us a European trophy v Milan in 1973 -And no other shortage of such issues with Italian clubs