Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983

In other news, I love Jack Grealish and want to give him a big cuddle. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Whoever put a microphone in Joleon Lescott’s hand needs to have a word with themselves. 

Their punditry / commentary team is really bad, but he shines. Not in a good way. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited June 2023
    RobDavies said:

In other news, I love Jack Grealish and want to give him a big cuddle. 
    Haha love this. Yea Jack comes across as a genuinely good guy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Lance Armstrong vibes. 
    I need to hear that jazz band.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    So they got the treble. Man U fans can't complain (eg me!), as Man U had the chance to stop it but failed.

A begrudging well done to Pep and City. After all they are a great team.

If they have 'cheated' financially though there MUST be a proper punishment, not just some stupid fine. The trouble then though is can you look at retrospective results? It's what they do with Athletic drug cheats.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Not a great game - Both with regards to entertainment, slick skill and drama but you often get that in big finals - Milan were better defensively than on the attack - The better team won, but they had to ride the luck a couple of times

Another CL medal for Scott Carson - How many other English keepers have 2 CL medals

Congrats to Citeh
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    Well done Man City, great achievement. They are the best team in Europe and were rewarded for it last night.

• OctavioOctavio Frets: 114
    Although I was against the European Super League initially, I now think it's the way to go. The disproportionate amount of money Premier League teams spend on transfers compared to the rest of Europe devalues the Champions League. You could argue that the Reals and Inters have been overachieving in recent years.

Sheikh owned clubs and clubs ran by the Saudi government should just go and start their own.
    Octavio said:
    Although I was against the European Super League initially, I now think it's the way to go. The disproportionate amount of money Premier League teams spend on transfers compared to the rest of Europe devalues the Champions League. You could argue that the Reals and Inters have been overachieving in recent years.

Sheikh owned clubs and clubs ran by the Saudi government should just go and start their own.
    Let them make new teams if they want, but leave our clubs alone. The game just needs heavy regulation in this regard starting with the owners and the running of the clubs, including fans on boards and enshrining our say in law and it can be sorted out. It is a political decision and all it requires is political will. Sadly, this lot of corrupt politicians have no interest in sorting out anything that goes against their interests. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Octavio said:

Let them make new teams if they want, but leave our clubs alone. The game just needs heavy regulation in this regard starting with the owners and the running of the clubs, including fans on boards and enshrining our say in law and it can be sorted out. It is a political decision and all it requires is political will. Sadly, this lot of corrupt politicians have no interest in sorting out anything that goes against their interests. 
    I was surprised to hear Sheikh Mansour, attending only his second game since the club's Abu Dhabi owners took control in 2008
    Octavio said:

I was surprised to hear Sheikh Mansour, attending only his second game since the club's Abu Dhabi owners took control in 2008
    Yes!!! I was like, really??? They always put that image out of him attending a game so I thought he was always there. Seems like this is the only image.

image.png 1.3M
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    The easy way to stop players pretending to be injured is for a rule that any player who needs assistance from the sideline due to injury must undergo a medical examination on the sideline and the player must remain off the pitch for a set period of time. Two minutes seems fair, a temporary replacement rule, similar to that in Rugby football, can be used to keep the game going and ensure fairness in the event that the injury is real. 

This can be justified under Health and Safety guidelines. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    The easy way to stop players pretending to be injured is for a rule that any player who needs assistance from the sideline due to injury must undergo a medical examination on the sideline and the player must remain off the pitch for a set period of time. Two minutes seems fair, a temporary replacement rule, similar to that in Rugby football, can be used to keep the game going and ensure fairness in the event that the injury is real. 

This can be justified under Health and Safety guidelines. 

The players know how to waste time enough before the ref comes over and indicates that maybe a trainer is needed. At that point they always get up and carry on.
    Says a lot really. He's hardly in it for the love of football, more for his own business/political interests. He has his man on the ground.

I'd consider myself quite progressive and certainly don't hark back to the days of Vinny Jones and before "when men were men". It actually makes me cringe when cheese-ball pundits comment on it followed by a little chuckle. But the game has certainly lost something. There's far too many people on the football gravy train trying to justify their salary. Look at the handball rule, it changes every 6 weeks! I don't remember it being an issue before the powers that be started messing with it. And VAR is still a disaster that's sucked the life out of the whole thing. I preferred the days of 'you win some you lose some'. It's made the game sterile.

Then of course there's the money, the agents, the world politics, sport-washing, the corruption, the youth prospects that are spat out. I watch fans rejoice over middle east ownership and it makes me shudder. The football establishment turned what was once a beautiful thing to crap. I'd love for a separate league to be created with proper football values, however unlikely. I'm considering sitting next season out. Regulation is long overdue.
    axisus said:
    Lance Armstrong vibes. 
    I need to hear that jazz band.
    They use a lot of pedals.......
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Octavio said:
    Says a lot really. He's hardly in it for the love of football, more for his own business/political interests. He has his man on the ground.

I'd consider myself quite progressive and certainly don't hark back to the days of Vinny Jones and before "when men were men". It actually makes me cringe when cheese-ball pundits comment on it followed by a little chuckle. But the game has certainly lost something. There's far too many people on the football gravy train trying to justify their salary. Look at the handball rule, it changes every 6 weeks! I don't remember it being an issue before the powers that be started messing with it. And VAR is still a disaster that's sucked the life out of the whole thing. I preferred the days of 'you win some you lose some'. It's made the game sterile.

Then of course there's the money, the agents, the world politics, sport-washing, the corruption, the youth prospects that are spat out. I watch fans rejoice over middle east ownership and it makes me shudder. The football establishment turned what was once a beautiful thing to crap. I'd love for a separate league to be created with proper football values, however unlikely. I'm considering sitting next season out. Regulation is long overdue.
    Who do you support Octavio?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    tony99 said:
    Octavio said:

I support Everton but am the type to watch any football, at any level. I used go to a lot of Brentford games when they were in League One and the Championship (before they left Griffin Park).

It's not just sour grapes because Everton are crap, we've been crap for the last 30+ years! Although the club is currently being ripped apart by Moshiri and his Russian Oligarch mate. They were even on Panorama!
    Octavio said:
    tony99 said:
    Octavio said:

I support Everton but am the type to watch any football, at any level. I used go to a lot of Brentford games when they were in League One and the Championship (before they left Griffin Park).

It's not just sour grapes because Everton are crap, we've been crap for the last 30+ years! Although the club is currently being ripped apart by Moshiri and his Russian Oligarch mate. They were even on Panorama!
    Haha fair enough. I was a toffees season ticket holder for many years, but I gave up on modern football a while ago (as far as actual support goes anyway).

The whole economics and sociocultural aspects of it still fascinate me though, hard to not take interest.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    Whilst I'm not really a fan of nation states buying football clubs, the bleating from fans of clubs like Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool about City's finances is glorious schadenfreude. All of those teams bought success (because that's how professional sport works), but now that bigger boys have come along and turned it up to eleven life is unfair. Diddums. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Whilst I'm not really a fan of nation states buying football clubs, the bleating from fans of clubs like Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool about City's finances is glorious schadenfreude. All of those teams bought success (because that's how professional sport works), but now that bigger boys have come along and turned it up to eleven life is unfair. Diddums. 

I think the added issue with Man City / Newcastle is it can quickly become political . Like most western governments we bend over backwards to appease the oil states and turn a blind eye to their human rights abuses. If the FA can afford to chuck the money needed at fighting Man City’s high priced lawyers and City are found guilty of breaking FFP and trying to cover it up by hen what next . How far will the FA be allowed to go ?

Spot on.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324

I think the added issue with Man City / Newcastle is it can quickly become political . Like most western governments we bend over backwards to appease the oil states and turn a blind eye to their human rights abuses. If the FA can afford to chuck the money needed at fighting Man City’s high priced lawyers and City are found guilty of breaking FFP and trying to cover it up by hen what next . How far will the FA be allowed to go ?
    I mean, i don't disagree. 

But did anyone think that Russian Oil Barons like Abramovich came from a squeaky clean background? The hypocrisy is tangible. 

I didn't think it was anything to do with the FA. Isn't it the Premier League and they've referred it to an independent commission?
    tony99 said:

I didn't think it was anything to do with the FA. Isn't it the Premier League and they've referred it to an independent commission?
    Think you are right Tony actually  - either way would the premier league be allowed by the government to risk political fallout by punishing city ?

@UnclePsychosis , I don’t disagree re the hypocrisy by some of the Chelsea fans but the government have proved that they will sanction Roman Abramovich but will they allow anything to risk their ‘relationship’ with the Abu Dhabi royal family 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Not a great game - Both with regards to entertainment, slick skill and drama but you often get that in big finals - Milan were better defensively than on the attack - The better team won, but they had to ride the luck a couple of times

Another CL medal for Scott Carson - How many other English keepers have 2 CL medals

Congrats to Citeh
    Peter Shilton and  Ray Clemence ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 648

When a club has so much money they can basically buy whoever they want compared to others, it’s no longer sport.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    daveyh said:

When a club has so much money they can basically buy whoever they want compared to others, it’s no longer sport.

Just be thankful a once in a generation manager like Pep graces this country with his talent. Is he as good as Fergie? There's certainly a debate to be had.
    tony99 said:
    daveyh said:

Just be thankful a once in a generation manager like Pep graces this country with his talent. Is he as good as Fergie? There's certainly a debate to be had.
    Undoubtedly a great manager but his touchline histrionics and berating of the officials are ridiculous . I know he’s not the only one but I’d say he is the worst  
    tony99 said:
    daveyh said:

Undoubtedly a great manager but his touchline histrionics and berating of the officials are ridiculous . I know he’s not the only one but I’d say he is the worst  
    Nowhere near as bad as the gurning german with the fake teeth and the hair transplant.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    daveyh said:

Nowhere near as bad as the gurning german with the fake teeth and the hair transplant.
    Yep I’d say they are the top two with Arteta not far behind