Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    The only reason i can find that i don't want them to win is I am a United fan.

But as a football fan, yes, I want them to win.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    So who wants City to win tomorrow - Who doesn't care

I want them to win - Hope it is in style but often such big matches are a let down if you want to see exciting entertaining matches - Will be nice to see the two Leeds lads win (Haaland and Phillips) plus the Yorkshire lads (Walker and Stones the Barnsley Beckenbauer)

Never a fan of Italian clubs after blatant match fixing costs us a European trophy v Milan in 1973 -And no other shortage of such issues with Italian clubs
    I'd rather saute my own knees and eat them than watch city win tomorrow - but you kind of know this Treble is an inevitability. Has been for some time.

Just shows you what a plucky bunch of billionaire lads running roughshod over all FFP Regs can achieve if they dream and aim big...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    I hope it is a good match. 

I really hope the Inter players don’t spend half the night rolling around on the floor like their compatriots did on Wednesday. 

Is it on YouTube as normal? Can’t go down the pub as I’ve got COVID. 

In one way I hope Man C win, as Pep and Haaland might fuck off somewhere else quicker. 

But with the amount of money they’ve spent, and how much they obviously want it, it would be quite funny like the other seasons, if they get beaten when not expected too. 

I think Man C will do it though. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    I hope Inter sneak a shitty win and do it in style by diving and utilising any gamesmanship they can to gain an advantage. City can play great football, but they also use all advantages possible and are no better than the Italian teams in that regard. For my uncle I hope they win, but for me, no!! :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    CHRISB50 said:
    I hope it is a good match. 

I really hope the Inter players don’t spend half the night rolling around on the floor like their compatriots did on Wednesday. 

Is it on YouTube as normal? Can’t go down the pub as I’ve got COVID. 

In one way I hope Man C win, as Pep and Haaland might fuck off somewhere else quicker. 

But with the amount of money they’ve spent, and how much they obviously want it, it would be quite funny like the other seasons, if they get beaten when not expected too. 

I think Man C will do it though. 

Yep - BT Sport's Youtube channel should have it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    The only reason i can find that i don't want them to win is I am a United fan.

But as a football fan, yes, I want them to win.
    You hit the nail on the head. I kind of want them to win but I will also smile to myself if they don't.

Lets be honest, City & Pep deserve to win.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited June 2023
    Hattigol said:
    So who wants City to win tomorrow - Who doesn't care

I want them to win - Hope it is in style but often such big matches are a let down if you want to see exciting entertaining matches - Will be nice to see the two Leeds lads win (Haaland and Phillips) plus the Yorkshire lads (Walker and Stones the Barnsley Beckenbauer)

Never a fan of Italian clubs after blatant match fixing costs us a European trophy v Milan in 1973 -And no other shortage of such issues with Italian clubs

Just shows you what a plucky bunch of billionaire lads running roughshod over all FFP Regs can achieve if they dream and aim big...
    I’m with you 100 pct Hatti.

I think the horse has well and truly bolted now unfortunately but I hate the idea of corrupt and brutal regimes buying into the prem. I would honestly stick a salary cap on it to shift some of the glamour players and mercenaries out, be much firmer with the owners test and watch them take their money elsewhere. We’d lose the top players of course but I watch a lot of non league stuff (Dorchester Town) and it’s a great day out so having to watch the equivalent quality as the top half of the championship as The New Premier League would be fine by me .

Football has been called the opium for the masses but it’s not any more unless you are talking about armchair fans or in person fans at lower league clubs . When it’s over £200 to take a family of 4 to a premiership game what chance has a working class bloke got to get his kids into watching football in person ?

Because of the huge influence of the game over the collective well-being of the nation Id love the government to get involved to shake up the prem to not only get rid of the leeches and crooks but to make it a sport accessible to the working class again.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    The final is live on BT's YouTube channel. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    I dont want any FFP bullies to win. Should be a sport not a business/nation state sportwashing event.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    I've come to terms with the money in football now (taken me nearly 10 years, mind). The main reason I don't want City winning is so that we can carry on chanting "Champions of Europe, you'll never sing that" at them when they visit the City Ground. 

"Back to back champions of Europe, you'll never sing that" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    joneve said:
    I've come to terms with the money in football now (taken me nearly 10 years, mind). The main reason I don't want City winning is so that we can carry on chanting "Champions of Europe, you'll never sing that" at them when they visit the City Ground. 

"Back to back champions of Europe, you'll never sing that" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. 
    'You weren't even born, you weren't even born, champions of Europe, you weren't even born' ;) 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    I want City to win for two reasons.   Firstly, one of my best friends is a City fan and he’s been a fan since the early 80’s, so has seen plenty of dark days as well as the recent domination.   I hope they win for him. 

Secondly, Brentford did the double over City this season… and if they beat Inter, then by default Brentford are the best team in Europe.  (We’ve already done the double double over West Ham so the European Conference is basically ours as well). 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    joneve said:

'You weren't even born, you weren't even born, champions of Europe, you weren't even born'  
    They won't be alive, they won't be alive, champions of Europe, they won't be alive

(Forza Inter! D

(Not really, Italian football is the absolute worst) 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    joneve said:

Which is why I'm torn.

I think the best result would be for there to be a mass brawl in the 89th minute, the score is 0-0 and the ref sends everybody off.  Game is forfeit, no CL winner in 22/23.

Or for the Saudis to appear in both dressing rooms at half-time, offer everyone a 10x salary increase to get on a plane and head back to SaudiLand straight away so no-one appears for the 2nd half.

Else, it goes to penalties after the game is a 0-0 bore draw, and everyone misses their penalty.

(That last option might be a bit unrealistic).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    joneve said:
    joneve said:

'You weren't even born, you weren't even born, champions of Europe, you weren't even born'  
    They won't be alive, they won't be alive, champions of Europe, they won't be alive

(Forza Inter! D

Yea the nonsense from the Fiorentina players, and the Roma players was not on. They should clamp down on this play acting. 
    RobDavies said:
    I want City to win for two reasons.   Firstly, one of my best friends is a City fan and he’s been a fan since the early 80’s, so has seen plenty of dark days as well as the recent domination.   I hope they win for him. 

Secondly, Brentford did the double over City this season… and if they beat Inter, then by default Brentford are the best team in Europe.  (We’ve already done the double double over West Ham so the European Conference is basically ours as well). 
    Dream on! 
    Yea the nonsense from the Fiorentina players, and the Roma players was not on. They should clamp down on this play acting. 
    You mean, like booking them for diving??

;)
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    mrkb said:
    I dont want any FFP bullies to win. Should be a sport not a business/nation state sportwashing event.
    A treble will only speed things up - the other traditional "big six" will be gunning for them to have some sort of comeuppance. I'd love for them to come unstuck this weekend, somehow. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    RobDavies said:

And you thrashed United so the Carabao Cup is technically yours too.

Congrats on the potential Treble!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TTony said:
    You mean, like booking them for diving??

;)
    Such an easy solution so what's the problem with actually doing it? Same for both sides. Benrahma obviously dived in the final and it's also not on. 
    What really pi$$es me off is (a) the injury simulation and (b) the simulation that every other injury is to the face.

What I thought was interesting was the Fiorentina player hit by whatever from the crowd, blood running down the back of his head. 

Not good, but not the point. 

If that had been an injury caused by an opponent on the pitch, he'd have been rolling around on the pitch for ages, needing a stretcher to get taken off, and the rest of his team mates would be surrounding the ref with the imaginary cards. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Remembering 2 fans who died in Istanbul in 2000 - A nice touch from City fans today 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4008

Remembering 2 fans who died in Istanbul in 2000 - A nice touch from City fans today 

Lovely!  I wish this stuff was shared more than the hateful stuff generally.

Like the Anfield tribute to Ronaldo, it was beautiful

I generally find all City/Liverpool fans lovely lovely people, and we have a great laugh (at my expense in recent years as a ManUtd fan).  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    TTony said:
    What really pi$$es me off is (a) the injury simulation and (b) the simulation that every other injury is to the face.
    I HATE this , I cannot watch any game like this. And it looked like after 10 mins it was gaping to be as bad as the Roma game.  but after 15 mins they seemed to stop that, and even the over-emotive manager calmed down.  It seemed to coincide with the ref starting to have a better game, and by the second half I thought he did very well in controlling the players
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    Those saves in final minutes were absolutely crazy!

Well done City! They have finally done it!
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Meh.
    edited June 2023
    Most Money 1 - Less Money  0
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Lance Armstrong vibes. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Very subdued celebrations ?,  they need to take  some hints from the West Ham celebrations :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    edited June 2023
    Classy fans the city lot, they at least deserve it. Not a bit of trouble from them either.

Well done blues.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!