Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Winning a treble in Scotland doesn't count for much in the real world of football ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited June 2023
    I wish him well, because deep down i don't think he is going to make it past Christmas...

With the likelihood that Kane is leaving, he is going to struggle for goals, the team needs a rebuild top to bottom.  

As for the Scottish PL, even Frank Lampard would have success up there if he was Celtic's Manager (well...may be....).  I mean even Gerard won trophies up there and he got really found out at Villa, the same team that made it into Europe after he left.

Brendan Rogers won everything in Celtic too and he did have success with Leicester and won the FA Cup.  But I think had he been Spurs manager, with the same league table finish as Leicester did, he too would have been sacked before he had the chance to win a cup...

The expectations of Spurs is Top 4, and truth is that they are not good enough for Top 4 at the moment, the squad and foundation isn't there.  This Ange need to do what Ten Haag had done basically, possible but chances aren't good especially with Kane looks like he is leaving. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    axisus said:
    Winning a treble in Scotland doesn't count for much in the real world of football ...
    The English Premier League really isn't 'the real world of football'. It's a billionaire's plaything. Suppose if he has morals he might struggle to live with it.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    edited June 2023
    The arrogance of Spurs fans really is plumbing new depths in the last few days.

Won fuck all for decades. Knocked back repeatedly by manager after manager because their club is a basket case. Famously useless owner. Finished 1 point above Brentford this season. Yet think they're too good for a guy who has won titles in three countries and managed an international team in the World Cup. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    ewal said:
    axisus said:
    The English Premier League really isn't 'the real world of football'. It's a billionaire's plaything. Suppose if he has morals he might struggle to live with it.
    This 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I wish him well, because deep down i don't think he is going to make it past Christmas...
    That's a silly comment.

Board expectations at Spurs are now "recalibrated".  They realise that Top4 would be a challenge next season with the rebuilding that's now necessary.  Postecoglou isn't a spend-and-quick-fix manager in the mould of Mourinho or Conte.  He's been brought in to clear out a mismatched squad, rebuild (hopefully with some of the academy players too) and will be given the time to do it.

What's more important for next season is Spurs playing attractive attacking football and not wimping out of cup ties.  I'm pretty sure he'll achieve that.

especially with Kane looks like he is leaving. 
    You've been reading too many clickbait headlines.

Kane has a choice;
    • stay at Spurs = premier league scoring record
    • go to Madrid = 2 (and a bit) horse race for Spanish honours
    I don't see ManU as viable - Levy would make that move too expensive and difficult.  ManU won't risk missing out on other options by dragging out a possible Kane buy for the duration of the window.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    TTony said:
    That's a silly comment.

Board expectations at Spurs are now "recalibrated".  They realise that Top4 would be a challenge next season with the rebuilding that's now necessary.  Postecoglou isn't a spend-and-quick-fix manager in the mould of Mourinho or Conte.  He's been brought in to clear out a mismatched squad, rebuild (hopefully with some of the academy players too) and will be given the time to do it.

What's more important for next season is Spurs playing attractive attacking football and not wimping out of cup ties.  I'm pretty sure he'll achieve that.

especially with Kane looks like he is leaving. 
    You've been reading too many clickbait headlines.

Kane has a choice;
    • stay at Spurs = premier league scoring record
    • go to Madrid = 2 (and a bit) horse race for Spanish honours
    I don't see ManU as viable - Levy would make that move too expensive and difficult.  ManU won't risk missing out on other options by dragging out a possible Kane buy for the duration of the window.

It's just a matter of opinion and we will both find out in the next couple of weeks. 

And it is NOT a silly comment at all, Spur's board has been "recalibrated", you think people change that fast? You think Levy is a new man now? Don't be daft.  Levy is still Levy.

I think it's very naive to think Spurs has changed, any if at all.  Look at Potter when he joined Chelsea, new owners, new board, new plan, 5 year contract, long term project....when the pressure is on, it all gets thrown out the door (with a fat cheque), but they are still out the door regardless.  Poch only has a 2 year contract now....long term plan....don't be naive, this is the Premier League, this is the reality of the PL....deep down, you know this.

I remember when Potter was signed, I made a comment on a Sky Sports YouTube channel about he is a nice guy but would too be out the door pretty soon, Chelsea is different pressure to Brighton, and expectations is completely different....all the Chelsea supporters thought i was mad, they will stick with him and give him time, etc etc.  Where are they now?  We all know what happened in the end.

Don't speak as a Spurs fan, speak as a neutral and tell me, what is the likelihood of this working out....from looking at Spurs history in the past few seasons.

You know the answer to this, but you don't like it, you just want to look at the positive side which i understand but the truth is very different.
    The arrogance of Spurs fans really is plumbing new depths in the last few days.

As a Spurs fan, I don't hear much arrogance.

I'd say that relief is the main sentiment - relief that a manager has been appointed without waiting until 2 weeks before the new season starts, a manager who's got "a track record" (and, personally, I'm not bothered by the dismissive "not in the PL" comments), and someone who showed the strength of determination and commitment to sort out the mess at Celtic when he joined them.

Knocked back repeatedly by manager after manager because their club is a basket case. Famously useless owner. 

The "knocked back" comment really depends on which gossip you believe or don't.  

It's been a frustrating few months as different names have been associated with Spurs by the various gossip sites, some (Slot specifically) probably with more substance than most others.  But the Postecoglou appointment didn't happen in the minutes after Celtic won the Cup final.  Those discussions had obviously been going on for weeks and months prior to that, and it shows respect by Spurs and the agents involved that it had been kept comparative quiet until after Celtic's season had concluded.

Is Levy "famously useless"?

Depends on how you measure it.  As a businessman, he's hugely successful.  The latest Forbes valuation assessment put Spurs as the 10th most valuable club, worldwide.  That's not been achieved with SWF investment, and has been built steadily since ENIC's takeover in early 2000s, at a club that - as you point out - hasn't been quite as successful on the pitch as the 9 clubs above them.

His approach has been to establish a viable business first, which is sensible, and invested in the infrastructure rather than spending those millions on big name players.  He did vary the build-slowly strategy with Moaniho & Conte, but I doubt we'll see any similar managerial appointments in the next few years.

And it is NOT a silly comment at all, Spur's board has been "recalibrated", you think people change that fast? You think Levy is a new man now? Don't be daft.  Levy is still Levy.

I very much hope Levy is still Levy.  He's probably Spurs' best asset.

There have been a few incomings and outgoings at Board level too.

Don't speak as a Spurs fan, speak as a neutral and tell me, what is the likelihood of this working out....from looking at Spurs history in the past few seasons.

I think the "past few seasons", ie the time since Poch left, was unsuccessful, but that was also a deviation from Spurs' previous approach, perhaps in the hope that a name manager would be the difference between Spurs losing and winning Cup finals, or finishing 2nd/3rd in the PL and winning it.

I'd see Postecoglou as more in the mould of Pochettino than Moaniho or Conte, someone who is more likely to work effectively within Levy's expectations, and not someone who expects to have the team bought for them.

"Working out" - what does that mean?  If it means winning the PL next season, no it clearly won't work out.  Even Top4 would be optimistic.  If it means re-establishing Spurs as a team that playing exciting, energetic, attacking football, that has more expectation of winning than losing, maybe a (domestic, obviously) cup final in the next couple of seasons, and a solid foundation for challenging again for PL title, then I think it will work out.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    I'd agree with @RaymondLin You really have got your Spurs-tinted goggles on, Tony.

When has Levy ever stuck by a struggling manager or shown any kind of 'long-termism'?

A few bad games and he'd be on the block. That's obviously not limited to Spurs - just the way of modern football. Naive to see it any other way.

And I admire your optimism re Kane but really, go to Real or United, get a lump sum of circa £15-20 million from the transfer plus much higher wages and actually have a chance of winning stuff.....

....or stay at Spurs? 

Not. A. Chance.

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Working out as he will be around for a whole season, not get sacked, and then progress into Europe and top 4 in the next season and stays in the Top 4 for the one after that.

We all know that if he loses 3 games in a row and then get anywhere close to midtable he will be out the door.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Hattigol said:
    I'd agree with @RaymondLin You really have got your Spurs-tinted goggles on, Tony.

When has Levy ever stuck by a struggling manager or shown any kind of 'long-termism'?

A few bad games and he'd be on the block. That's obviously not limited to Spurs - just the way of modern football. Naive to see it any other way.

And I admire your optimism re Kane but really, go to Real or United, get a lump sum of circa £15-20 million from the transfer plus much higher wages and actually have a chance of winning stuff.....

....or stay at Spurs? 

Not. A. Chance.

Agree with this, plus if the only benefit to Kane staying at spurs is a PL scoring record, then that might motivate him to stay, but it's a team game; personal accolades should really be secondary to what a team achieves.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1591
    Well its now official... Ange has been given 4 year deal..  hope it works out for him..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    COME
    ON
    YOU
    SPURS

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    IRONS!!!

TTony said:
    SPURS

You wanker :lol: 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    :D 
    I'm just gonna do it again :lol: 
    image.png 555.3K
    Are West Ham playing tonight or something ???
    I dunno. Intertoto Cup or something. 
    :+1:

I'll be watching, and vaguely hoping that they don't lose.
    FORZA FIORENTINA! 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited June 2023
    Good luck to the Hammers this evening. Just put that bloke who held off all the scrotes in hoodies at Alkmaar at centre half if the going gets tough!
    TTony said:
    :+1:

I'll be watching, and vaguely hoping that they don't lose.
    I thank you for you north London support. I'll be in a local West Ham pub with my football mates. 

I imagine we'll start slow, but Fiorentina are an attacking team which suits us. I feel we were getting form at the end of the season so hopefully we will carry that into the game. As long as we go for it win or lose, and don't let the occasion overwhelm us we'll be happy. But obviously the win would be unbelievable. 
    edited June 2023
    Hattigol said:
    FORZA FIORENTINA! 
    Back under your bridge. 
    Hattigol said:
    FORZA FIORENTINA! 
    Back under your bridge. 
    Apologies, it's trolling now if someone supports a team other than yours?

Got it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter