Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I think in some aspects Pep is a level above, winning leagues in 3 countries, winning the Treble with 2 different teams.  Fergie only won in 2 leagues and treble once.

What Fergie has above Pep is his ability to rebuild a team over and over.  Pep hasn’t stuck around in a single league long enough to do that, although I do not doubt that he can as he has shown he is able to change his tactics and train his players to do things this season that doesn’t seem the norm, like playing with 4 Center backs. 

Fergie is still amongst the greats and Pep too is alongside with him for me.  (All the money and owners stuff aside)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    daveyh said:
    Whilst I'm not really a fan of nation states buying football clubs, the bleating from fans of clubs like Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool about City's finances is glorious schadenfreude. All of those teams bought success (because that's how professional sport works), but now that bigger boys have come along and turned it up to eleven life is unfair. Diddums. 

When a club has so much money they can basically buy whoever they want compared to others, it’s no longer sport.

Fine, but let's not pretend like any of this is new. 

https://www.givemesport.com/87989442-alan-shearer-the-pls-10-most-expensive-transfers-adjusted-for-inflation/ ;

Clubs have been doing this for decades, but it's only now that the "wOnT sOmeOne tHiNk oF thE cHilDreN" handwringing has begun. 

As a supporter of a smaller club, I will continue to piss myself laughing at the Chelseas and Man Utds of the world being outdone at their own game whilst hoping that at somepoint football gets it's collective arse together and does something about everybody taking the piss - not just bleating about the new boys in town. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited June 2023
    I think in some aspects Pep is a level above, winning leagues in 3 countries, winning the Treble with 2 different teams.  Fergie only won in 2 leagues and treble once.

What Fergie has above Pep is his ability to rebuild a team over and over.  Pep hasn’t stuck around in a single league long enough to do that, although I do not doubt that he can as he has shown he is able to change his tactics and train his players to do things this season that doesn’t seem the norm, like playing with 4 Center backs. 

Fergie is still amongst the greats and Pep too is alongside with him for me.  (All the money and owners stuff aside)
    But Fergie done it with Aberdeen and a Man Utd team who hadn't won anything in years and years. He's not walked into teams with riches and a team who were used to winning. He built teams and and won and continued winning against every challenger who he faced. Plus for Pep, I wouldn't count the Bundesliga as some amazing achievement as it's largely a one team league, and he made an amazing team and disappointed in Europe. Fergies achievements are greater if you ask me. He won leagues with John O'Shea and Wes Brown in defence! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650

Fergie was a legend, and you're right about him doing it in another country's league. Everyone knows about what he did with Aberdeen but it was the miraculous turn around of St Mirren that put him on the road to glory.

That said, I think Pep edges it for me.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023

But Fergie done it with Aberdeen and a Man Utd team who hadn't won anything in years and years. He's not walked into teams with riches and a team who were used to winning. He built teams and and won and continued winning against every challenger who he faced. Plus for Pep, I wouldn't count the Bundesliga as some amazing achievement as it's largely a one team league, and he made an amazing team and disappointed in Europe. Fergies achievements are greater if you ask me. He won leagues with John O'Shea and Wes Brown in defence! 
    I know all that…and took account of all that and I am still going to stick with my answer for the reasons stated.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 648
    daveyh said:
    Whilst I'm not really a fan of nation states buying football clubs, the bleating from fans of clubs like Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool about City's finances is glorious schadenfreude. All of those teams bought success (because that's how professional sport works), but now that bigger boys have come along and turned it up to eleven life is unfair. Diddums. 

When a club has so much money they can basically buy whoever they want compared to others, it’s no longer sport.

Fine, but let's not pretend like any of this is new. 

https://www.givemesport.com/87989442-alan-shearer-the-pls-10-most-expensive-transfers-adjusted-for-inflation/ ;

Clubs have been doing this for decades, but it's only now that the "wOnT sOmeOne tHiNk oF thE cHilDreN" handwringing has begun. 

As a supporter of a smaller club, I will continue to piss myself laughing at the Chelseas and Man Utds of the world being outdone at their own game whilst hoping that at somepoint football gets it's collective arse together and does something about everybody taking the piss - not just bleating about the new boys in town. 
    Oh no I agree, but IMO it’s getting worse. Less and less chance for clubs to complete because certain clubs have seemingly bottomless purses. Destroys actual competition. Perhaps some sort of spending cap in any given transfer window?
    edited June 2023
    I don’t think any spending cap would be forthcoming from the FA or PL, as the FA wants to keep the PL teams to stay competitive and win european competitions, this is good for the image of the PL, such cap will only come from UEFA or FIFA, IMO.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Brentford submitting a club record £30m bid for Brennan Johnson apparently....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    joneve said:

You could buy a whole new team with that.

(Another) whole new team
    :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Just seen the champions League result as I'm on hols do not following it. Most impressive sporting achievement since Lance Armstrong won all those Tour de France titles ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Exciting - PL Fixtures out today - Forgot, I'm not needing to look at them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course I'll be watching all the big key games, so I'll still be on here 

Luton are obviously going to find it tough - But please lads get more than 12 points - That record must stay with the sheep shaggers 
    Arsenal vs. Forest first game broadcast on TNT Sports on opening day. We are massive. :D 

Our opening run of away games is brutal, but gets them out the way early I suppose. 
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    Arsenal vs. Forest first game broadcast on TNT Sports on opening day. We are massive. :D 

Our opening run of away games is brutal, but gets them out the way early I suppose. 
    haven't Arsenal had the first game on a Friday night for the last 2/3 years 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656

Luton are obviously going to find it tough - But please lads get more than 12 points - That record must stay with the sheep shaggers 
    As a Luton fan, that's my sole ambition this year (well, realistic one).
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    joneve said:

You can laugh all you like but Johnson and his Dad met with Brentford right after your away game at Palace.  He wants out and knows we’re interested after trying to buy him 18 months ago.  

That said, he’s a fantastic player and probably worth more than 30m, so I expect him to go to a club with more disposable income than Brentford.  
    axisus said:

Perfectly realistic.    Kenilworth Road is a major factor in that.  No one will want to play there and lots of the ‘bigger boys’ in the Prem won’t fancy it, with the crowd being so close and quite hostile at times.  
    As a cheeky little morale booster for you (without sounding patronising), the Brentford starting XI that won at Man City last season contained nine players that played for us in the championship.  If your club is well run, anything is possible. 
    RobDavies said:
    joneve said:

You can laugh all you like but Johnson and his Dad met with Brentford right after your away game at Palace.  He wants out and knows we’re interested after trying to buy him 18 months ago.  

That said, he’s a fantastic player and probably worth more than 30m, so I expect him to go to a club with more disposable income than Brentford.  
    Not sure of your sources, but If they did meet with Brentford, I suspect it's a clever move from DJ to try and get a Johnson better contract as he should be paid far more than he's currently earning I imagine. I very much doubt he "wants out" - he's formed solid partnerships with the likes of Gibbs-White, Awoniyi, Neco etc and Cooper loves him, so he's got no reason to want to leave, other than for Champions League/European Football. 

The laughing was the ridiculous bid - absolutely no way he goes for less than £45m-£50m (given that Anthony fucking Gordon was bought for £45m). 

Unless he *REALLY* wants to leave and is 100% unhappy, Forest won't be selling him in this window unless someone swoops in with a ridiculous offer. 
    RobDavies said:
    axisus said:

Perfectly realistic.    Kenilworth Road is a major factor in that.  No one will want to play there and lots of the ‘bigger boys’ in the Prem won’t fancy it, with the crowd being so close and quite hostile at times.  
    As a cheeky little morale booster for you (without sounding patronising), the Brentford starting XI that won at Man City last season contained nine players that played for us in the championship.  If your club is well run, anything is possible
    Absolutely. Rob Edwards seems like a decent manager, so hopefully he can make the step up and Luton can get a few results - as mentioned the lowest points tally absolutely HAS to stay with the sheep. 
    tFB Trader
    Just sad to hear about the passing of Gordon McQueen aged 70 - Such news is another part of your childhood being taken away from you - I recall visiting ER in the mid 70's on a few occasions and seeing Gordon play, having just taken over from Big Jack - Best wishes to his friend and family - RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    joneve said:
    RobDavies said:
    joneve said:

Not sure of your sources, but If they did meet with Brentford, I suspect it's a clever move from DJ to try and get a Johnson better contract as he should be paid far more than he's currently earning I imagine. I very much doubt he "wants out" - he's formed solid partnerships with the likes of Gibbs-White, Awoniyi, Neco etc and Cooper loves him, so he's got no reason to want to leave, other than for Champions League/European Football. 

The laughing was the ridiculous bid - absolutely no way he goes for less than £45m-£50m (given that Anthony fucking Gordon was bought for £45m). 

Unless he *REALLY* wants to leave and is 100% unhappy, Forest won't be selling him in this window unless someone swoops in with a ridiculous offer. 
    Just been discussing this with a mate of mine who knows some local journo's so was quizzing him off the back of your comments. Seems it's DJ that wants Brennan out - which I suspect is due to the fact he had a run in with a few fans that were giving Brennan abuse during our dark period in feb/march when we were away at Villa (I believe). Got heated and DJ had to be held back by a friend of mine. 

If it's *just* down to that (which is a few dickhead fans giving it large after a few shandies), then it's a bit petty on DJ's part. Johnno was instrumental in keeping us up last year and deserves to be rewarded for it (bin off shelvey and give his wage to Johnson, job done) - so hopefully it'll all be smoothed over, but as I said, I can't see the club letting him go for peanuts, as we don't need to sell him and he's under contract til 2026. 
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    RobDavies said:
    joneve said:

Just been discussing this with a mate of mine who knows some local journo's so was quizzing him off the back of your comments. Seems it's DJ that wants Brennan out - which I suspect is due to the fact he had a run in with a few fans that were giving Brennan abuse during our dark period in feb/march when we were away at Villa (I believe). Got heated and DJ had to be held back by a friend of mine. 

If it's *just* down to that (which is a few dickhead fans giving it large after a few shandies), then it's a bit petty on DJ's part. Johnno was instrumental in keeping us up last year and deserves to be rewarded for it (bin off shelvey and give his wage to Johnson, job done) - so hopefully it'll all be smoothed over, but as I said, I can't see the club letting him go for peanuts, as we don't need to sell him and he's under contract til 2026. 
    I'm a bit surprised Brentford wanting to spend so much - I know you can't keep picking the likes of Toney and the BMW guys for next to nothing - But they have had tremendous success with such a talented scouting policy - It's almost as though a selective spend spend spend might be a change in policy 
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    RobDavies said:
    joneve said:

I'm a bit surprised Brentford wanting to spend so much - I know you can't keep picking the likes of Toney and the BMW guys for next to nothing - But they have had tremendous success with such a talented scouting policy - It's almost as though a selective spend spend spend might be a change in policy 
    I mean £30m is peanuts in today's market, but I get your point. Same with Brighton - they've not really had to throw money at their squad too much because their scouting has been absolutely insanely good in the last 4-5 years particularly. 
    edited June 2023
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    RobDavies said:
    joneve said:

@guitars4you  ;;Raya is going for £40m... Toney could well go in January for more than that, despite the ban.  AC Milan tabled a rejected bid for Mbuemo (which was more than we offered for Johnson)... So we're not short of a few bob.  Brentford will never pay more than what they think the player is worth and it's a non starter that we'll pay big bucks for a player that we can't develop and make a profit from.  That's been the process for seven years and has got us where we are now.   20m or 30m nowadays, with all the TV dosh etc is proportionate from when we'd spend 2.5m on Maupay, Watkins or Konsa...and then make 400% profit on those type of players.

@joneve My contact at Brentford is a very good one.   It's known throughout football that Brentford is a good place to earn a living and everyone on the playing/coaching staff is happy, despite us being a bit tight on wages.   When Pontus Jansson left Leeds, he approached us rather than the other way around.  I may be wrong but Johnson seemed to fall out of favour with Cooper toward the tail end of the season?...  And Forest seemingly have to sort themselves out with regard to FFP?...  I've also heard that a release clause may have been triggered? (although not from my source). I still don't think he'll end up with us as he'll have big wage demands, but stranger things have happened. Time will tell.
    tFB Trader
    RobDavies said:
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    RobDavies said:
    joneve said:

@guitars4you  ;;Raya is going for £40m... Toney could well go in January for more than that, despite the ban.  AC Milan tabled a rejected bid for Mbuemo (which was more than we offered for Johnson)... So we're not short of a few bob.  Brentford will never pay more than what they think the player is worth and it's a non starter that we'll pay big bucks for a player that we can't develop and make a profit from.  That's been the process for seven years and has got us where we are now.   20m or 30m nowadays, with all the TV dosh etc is proportionate from when we'd spend 2.5m on Maupay, Watkins or Konsa...and then make 400% profit on those type of players.

@joneve My contact at Brentford is a very good one.   It's known throughout football that Brentford is a good place to earn a living and everyone on the playing/coaching staff is happy, despite us being a bit tight on wages.   When Pontus Jansson left Leeds, he approached us rather than the other way around.  I may be wrong but Johnson seemed to fall out of favour with Cooper toward the tail end of the season?...  And Forest seemingly have to sort themselves out with regard to FFP?...  I've also heard that a release clause may have been triggered? (although not from my source). I still don't think he'll end up with us as he'll have big wage demands, but stranger things have happened. Time will tell.
    Fell out with Bielsa - partly to do with MB instructing the team to allow Villa to equalise after a disputed goal and Pontus objected and then again after the play offs v Derby - I was sad to see him go as he had a strong following on the terraces at the time
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited June 2023
    Just seen the champions League result as I'm on hols do not following it. Most impressive sporting achievement since Lance Armstrong won all those Tour de France titles
    Yeah, really hoping City will learn from the West Brom ownership model and, ya know, start making irrecoverable loans to opaque sets of investors and suchlike….

#potkettleblack
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    jellyroll said:

#potkettleblack
    That sort of thing is really irritating you know!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    Just seen the champions League result as I'm on hols do not following it. Most impressive sporting achievement since Lance Armstrong won all those Tour de France titles ;)
    Totally agree. The champions league was better when it was the little guys like Real Madrid winning it. 
    RobDavies said:
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    RobDavies said:
    joneve said:

Nah, he was benched after picking up a knock an partly because the formation called for it due to the opponent. He’s our homegrown star boy. 

We’re ok with regards to FFP I think, thanks to the number of Loan players we utilised during our promotion season and using the promotion money last year to fund much of the squad last year. There will be a clear out of weaker fringe players and those who haven’t fit the style of play, this summer I expect which will help too.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we sold him for the right price but they know his value is only going to increase. Time will tell, as you say. Just hope our recruitment is better than January. We struck gold with Danilo and Felipe but whoever signed off Shelvey and Wood need to be fired (although I think this might already be the case)
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Didn't see this one coming:  Neves from Wolves to Saudi!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65945030

tFB Trader
    Nitefly said:
    Didn't see this one coming:  Neves from Wolves to Saudi!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65945030

surprised me as well - especially at such a young age