Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Shrews said:
    Well done the Under 21's. Champions! 
    Ben Johnson. Double European winner! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Hattigol said:
    Disappointed with how United have handled De Gea's departure. A great player, Club Player of the Year four times. Not perfect but a top-class keeper. 

Total lack of respect shown by the club. Par for the course sadly, these days...
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly. He has been a star for the club and even got the golden gloves in his last season. Shameful.

That turd Woodward finally got kicked out but the club is still run poorly. I wish they'd get that bloody takeover sorted and get rid of the fekkin Glazers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Shrews said:
    I looked up the winners from the last time we won (1984). I was surprised that not that many players were that successful in their careers. The only names that I recognised were Mark Hately and Steve Hodge. Maybe that's just me and my poor memory!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    How's the transfer window looking for everyone?

Got to be happy with Madison to Spurs for £30m + Harry Winks (though still a bit sad to see him go - decent solid midfielder who didn't do much wrong).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Winks hit a level and never sustained it, never mind surpassing it.

There is something in the papers about Poch making noises about Dele Alli. Hmmm... 
    TTony said:

As a Man U fan, underwhelming. Mason Mount is a solid signing, but we definitely need a hot striker, plus I'd like to see a few players out. Still hoping for Kane but I guess it's unlikely.

Whether we get Kane or not, I hope he stays in the Prem, I'd like to see him beat Shearer's record.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    scrumhalf said:

There is something in the papers about Poch making noises about Dele Alli. Hmmm... 
    if Poch wants Alli I’m sure quite a few Everton fans would happily cover his train fare to London 

Waste of a shirt 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    scrumhalf said:

I saw that too - though thought it was more in the role of an old father-figure/manager trying to get his head back into a football space rather than wherever it's been for the last few years.

Though I guess Everton wouldn't complain if Chelsea made an offer.  As it's Chelsea, £62.5m sounds about right ...
    TTony said:

Got to be happy with Madison to Spurs for £30m + Harry Winks (though still a bit sad to see him go - decent solid midfielder who didn't do much wrong).
    Arsenal bought our best player for £105m over 30 years or something so we can't afford anyone lmao. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Happy with Arsenal’s window so far. Made some fantastic signings: Timber, Rice and Havertz. Retained some key players on longer contracts: Saliba, Nelson and Saka. 

Hope we keep Balogun and give him a chance next season. He’s had a cracking season in France and seems hungry. 

Look forward to the season starting. I think it’s going to be a lot tighter at the top this time round. Top 4 will be interesting this year.  

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:

is he pissed - Poch that is - even Grimsby town wouldn't want or need Dele A
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    TTony said:

As a Man U fan, underwhelming. Mason Mount is a solid signing, but we definitely need a hot striker, plus I'd like to see a few players out. Still hoping for Kane but I guess it's unlikely.

Whether we get Kane or not, I hope he stays in the Prem, I'd like to see him beat Shearer's record.
    I think Mount will do a good job for Man U and you'll probably see less of Eriksen in the starting position - My issue with Mount is that he plays well when the team plays well - So a 'fancy' player - But rarely will you see him take the game by the scruff of the neck, in a losing position, pick up the team and drive them to a win

Surprised no movement yet for Kane - Look at PSG with Mbappe and they won't let him dictate terms - They'll auction him off shortly even they don't get a new signing from him - They won't allow him to leave next year on a freebie - Surely Spurs won't allow Kane to walk for nothing - Maybe he is not concerned about winning a trophy (he's already 3 major trophies behind Kalvin Phillips) but I hope he breaks the PL scoring record 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Mount is probably as important if not more important than a Striker.  Mount is versatile enough to cover several position in midfield so if Erikson, Rashford, Fernadez etc gets suspended or injured, he can fill in.  United's form dipped in the latter stages of last season when Casemiro got suspended, Anthony and Erikson was injured with Fred not able to really fill those roles quite the same (he did okay in some games), but with Garnacho on the left, and in theory, you can play Rashford up front.  Weghorst although contributed a lot in running, he didn't add much in terms of goal threat, so the silverlining is that whoever United buys, he can't do worse in goal scoring!  Don't really need to spend big to get that improvement, on paper at least.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Kane to West Ham I suggest - we're a trophy winning team now ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    sev112 said:
    Kane to West Ham I suggest - we're a trophy winning team now ;)
    I'd love for Scamacca to work out more than anything like that. 
    Surprised no movement yet for Kane  
    I’m not.

The most likely scenario I’ve seen was an effective loan to RM for a couple of years.  He goes there, wins some trinkets, then comes home for the PL scoring record.

But the loan fee would have been “significant” (to cover the cost to Spurs of a decent replacement), or else RM sent a decent first-team player in exchange, so that then becomes less attractive to RM.

I reckon he stays, Levy will offer him £300k/wk and a (re)signing-on fee of a few £m to sign the new contract and the rumour sites will have to use someone else for click bait stories.
    ;)
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    I'm enjoying this transfer window for the entertainment value if nothing else. 

British football media: SaUdI mOnEy iS ruInInG fOoTbAlL

Also British football media: Mason Mount is worth his £250k a week salary 

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    axisus said:
    Shrews said:
    I looked up the winners from the last time we won (1984). I was surprised that not that many players were that successful in their careers. The only names that I recognised were Mark Hately and Steve Hodge. Maybe that's just me and my poor memory!
    I was lucky enough to be a schoolboy in a school right next to the old Gay Meadow in Shrewsbury. One night there was an England vs Wales U17 international there and a few of us acted as stewards for the cap giving ceremony afterwards. 

The manager of that youth team was no other than Sir Bobby Robson (year was 82 or 83)

But of the players, I only remember 'Kevin Keen' as doing anything in the game.

Maybe, when they reach full maturity they just can't cope with the physical demands of the game. Others just catch them up or they just waste their talent by having the wrong mental attitude. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    edited July 2023
    TTony said:

Barren so far, but hopefully get Hendo through the door this week if United ever sort their fucking shit out. Absolute bunch of amateurs running that place (they did the same thing with Garner last season, which is why we couldn't sign him in time)

Also linked with Hudson-Odoi who Chelsea may, allegedly, let go on a free to get him off the wage bill. 

Also, Renan Lodi might be coming back permanently, which is fucking excellent news. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4008
    joneve said:
    Barren so far, but hopefully get Hendo through the door this week if United ever sort their fucking shit out. Absolute bunch of amateurs running that place (they did the same thing with Garner last season, which is why we couldn't sign him in time)

As a Man Utd fan I find that quite offensive.....

(Offensive to amateurs, we are far fecking worse)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    PL kits for the forth coming season https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/65877733

Nice to see the slash back on the Palace shirt , albeit away kit - I'd forgotten about it 
    That Newcastle away kits reminds of the German national shirt in the 70's
    Liverpool's away shirt looks vile - Yet their home kits reminds me of the days of Ron Yates 
    And no sponsorship deal for Chelsea 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I like wearing club colours (Man City) but refuse to wear a shirt with a massive sponsor's logo, so I generally buy training shirts, etc which carry no logo. If I was a Chelsea fan I'd be delighted with that sponsor-less shirt.

Sponsor aside, I like the Liverpool one best for its retro style. 
    No Luton kit (sad face ...)
    axisus said:
    Forest's kits finally get officially announced tomorrow (Home) and Friday (away and/or 3rd). 

Can't come soon enough as Forest twitter is exhausting today...found myself wasting nearly 2 hours debating whether or Not Keylor Navas is a good goalkeeper FFS. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    It seems that Spurs have gone to an all-white kit.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. 

All-white has been our European kit for 60 years. We had it domestically a few years ago but it's just plain wrong, and made worse by the fact that we aren't in bloody Europe next season. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Royal Blue shorts for Spurs is right  - the rot started when Le Coq Sportif went for Navy (although that home and away kit was rather natty)
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    axisus said:
    Forest's kits finally get officially announced tomorrow (Home) and Friday (away and/or 3rd). 

Can't come soon enough as Forest twitter is exhausting today...found myself wasting nearly 2 hours debating whether or Not Keylor Navas is a good goalkeeper FFS. 
    Might see it at Burton - Looks like we have a pre-season friendly there at the end of July - Looks like an unlikely venue and small capacity
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    And no sponsorship deal for Chelsea 
    No, but they have brought back Dennis Wise and Roberto Di Matteo.  They're probably playing for free meals and a parking space.

joneve said:
    axisus said:

Might see it at Burton - Looks like we have a pre-season friendly there at the end of July - Looks like an unlikely venue and small capacity
    We play Burton every pre-season it seems - they're local-ish to us and there's previous history when Clough Jr was manager.

Kit launch has been delayed until tomorrow now...plenty of speculation as to why, but seems it might be because Willian could be signing for us (either that or they're having to photoshop Harry Toffolo out of all of the media shots!) 
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    axisus said:

We play Burton every pre-season it seems - they're local-ish to us and there's previous history when Clough Jr was manager.

Kit launch has been delayed until tomorrow now...plenty of speculation as to why, but seems it might be because Willian could be signing for us (either that or they're having to photoshop Harry Toffolo out of all of the media shots!) 
    Last time I went to a pre-season match at B.O.T it was pay on the night - Can't see that been the case this time