Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    axisus said:
    No Luton kit (sad face ...)
    Forest's kits finally get officially announced tomorrow (Home) and Friday (away and/or 3rd). 

Can't come soon enough as Forest twitter is exhausting today...found myself wasting nearly 2 hours debating whether or Not Keylor Navas is a good goalkeeper FFS. 
    Might see it at Burton - Looks like we have a pre-season friendly there at the end of July - Looks like an unlikely venue and small capacity
    We play Burton every pre-season it seems - they're local-ish to us and there's previous history when Clough Jr was manager.

Kit launch has been delayed until tomorrow now...plenty of speculation as to why, but seems it might be because Willian could be signing for us (either that or they're having to photoshop Harry Toffolo out of all of the media shots!) 
    Last time I went to a pre-season match at B.O.T it was pay on the night - Can't see that been the case this time
    haha. Absolutely not. Forest fans are absolutely rabid, and more so since getting back to the Premier League...Everyone's hyped up for a pre-season game against Notts County on Saturday FFS (again, who we play every fucking pre-season). 

Hopefully we might have announced a signing by the time we play you lot. I know we signed a lot of players last season, but we've gone from one extreme to the other :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    So we finally landed Rice, albeit for £105m. Not that chuffed we had to pay more than City got Grealish for as we could have got 2 players in different positions for that but he's here now so we'll get on with it. With Xhaka gone I presume he'll slot into midfield though Arteta might use Havertz there for some reason. Hoping Partey stays too.

Just wish we'd sign a goalscoring striker like a Kane or Haaland. The other positions are looking pretty good - don't know much about this Timber guy but he's like a Tomiyasu in being able to play right and centre back so means White can be cover for Saliba or even play alongside him or Gabriel. If Tierney goes we'll need a new left back providing we don't off-load Tavares.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited July 2023
    Some of the content coming out of your fan base over this is awful. Leave it to the club. 

When will Arsenal's fan YouTube channels just go away? 

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Good grief..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited July 2023
    Must be a bunch of undercover West Ham fans hoping DR will run back to the London stadium after watching that
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    So we finally landed Rice, albeit for £105m. Not that chuffed we had to pay more than City got Grealish for as we could have got 2 players in different positions for that but he's here now so we'll get on with it. With Xhaka gone I presume he'll slot into midfield though Arteta might use Havertz there for some reason. Hoping Partey stays too.

Just wish we'd sign a goalscoring striker like a Kane or Haaland. The other positions are looking pretty good - don't know much about this Timber guy but he's like a Tomiyasu in being able to play right and centre back so means White can be cover for Saliba or even play alongside him or Gabriel. If Tierney goes we'll need a new left back providing we don't off-load Tavares.
    Should be good news for you that Timber has signed - Looks a good prospect and a handy price tag as well
    Some of the content coming out of your fan base over this is awful. Leave it to the club. 

I don't follow that stuff much to be honest and I agree with you on leaving it to the club.

Should be good news for you that Timber has signed - Looks a good prospect and a handy price tag as well
    Hopefully not as injury prone as Tomiyasu!
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001

Indeed. I wish they’d all fuck off. Embarrassing. 

Some of the stuff I’ve read on Insta from West Ham fans ain’t great either. Some proper nasty bastards out there. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    CHRISB50 said:

Indeed. I wish they’d all fuck off. Embarrassing. 

Some of the stuff I’ve read on Insta from West Ham fans ain’t great either. Some proper nasty bastards out there. 
    Yea there's the usual morons that every club has, calling him a traitor, that he's dead to them etc and it's just nonsense. The average fan is grateful to him and understands his ambition (although I'm not sold that it's as big a jump as he thinks).

But with no disrespect to any average Arsenal fan, but this AFTV and the other Arsenal fan channels are almost uniquely toxic. The Wenger out stuff was just breathtakingly disrespectful considering what that man gave that club. He was nothing but an example of utmost integrity even while that was going on, and then they done the same to Arteta when he was getting started. We had a bit of it with the Moyes out stuff and that was bad enough.

The annoying thing is that they're giving all these clueless YouTubers platforms on Sky, Talk Sport etc and they really are completely uninformed.

Like this guy. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    £105m???

The Premier League represents everything that is wrong with modern football. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    I said the same with £330K for Malcom MacDonald
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656

Ugggh. I certainly don't associate sh*te music like that with football. Dire
    £105m???

The Premier League represents everything that is wrong with modern football. 
    I stopped caring about the money years ago. I honestly no longer care if Man U spend £200m on a player if it helps the team. I would also be extremely happy if the bubble bursts, everyone goes bust and we get back to 70s rates of pay. 

Football was destroyed by the parasitic agents. The game died when clubs started paying them. They should have ONLY made money from the players that hire them. Neymar's agent (his dad) has made obscene amounts of money:

First of all he got 10% of Neymar Transfer Fee which is Mammoth 22m from Paris Saint Germain.

When Neymar Transferred from Santos to Fc Barcelona He Got 10m for Pre Contract Agreement In 2011.

He Got Another 40m when neymar completes his transfer from FC Santos to FC Barcelona in 2013.

Last Year When Neymar Agreed for New Deal with FC Barcelona his Father got another 26m.

He also Due to recieve 27m if Neymar Jr is still Barcelona Player on 31st July 2017, he reportadly delayed his transfer to PSG to get this money.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    I've no issue with players, or anyone being paid well for their work. I'd rather the worker/footballer gets it than it sits in some offshore account while people don't get properly rewarded for their work especially when clubs are being funded by nation states. Let's not forget that the players are literally the product, the draw.

Also, there's not many avenues where working class kids can legitimately make a living from their talents and passion, and make it to the top based on merit alone so personally, I don't want it all to go bust, and I don't want the arse to fall out of the bottom because the knock on effects will be disastrous. But I do agree that agents are awful and prices are too high all round, but I'd look to reduce agents fees, tax clubs at the top, regulate transfers, and go in heavy with all the other stuff before I go after players wages because they'll probably come down naturally when there's less money all round. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Pre-season ...

Take 30-odd players half-way round the world to play some ragtag bunch of no-hopers who'd struggle to make a pub team back home in the UK but will be more than willing to spend 90mins trying to kick your team off the pitch. 

What's the point???
    :D

(Spurs first pre-season game tomorrow)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    axisus said:
    No Luton kit (sad face ...)
    Forest's kits finally get officially announced tomorrow (Home) and Friday (away and/or 3rd). 

Can't come soon enough as Forest twitter is exhausting today...found myself wasting nearly 2 hours debating whether or Not Keylor Navas is a good goalkeeper FFS. 
    Might see it at Burton - Looks like we have a pre-season friendly there at the end of July - Looks like an unlikely venue and small capacity
    We play Burton every pre-season it seems - they're local-ish to us and there's previous history when Clough Jr was manager.

Kit launch has been delayed until tomorrow now...plenty of speculation as to why, but seems it might be because Willian could be signing for us (either that or they're having to photoshop Harry Toffolo out of all of the media shots!) 
    Last time I went to a pre-season match at B.O.T it was pay on the night - Can't see that been the case this time
    haha. Absolutely not. Forest fans are absolutely rabid, and more so since getting back to the Premier League...Everyone's hyped up for a pre-season game against Notts County on Saturday FFS (again, who we play every fucking pre-season). 

Hopefully we might have announced a signing by the time we play you lot. I know we signed a lot of players last season, but we've gone from one extreme to the other :D 
    I won't get tickets - priority to away ticket season members and there's a few thousand of those - So will have to pass on this
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1591
    2-3 to West Ham..  there goes my optimism...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

It can be a bit soul destroying but it's only pre-season so I wouldn't judge yet. I think that Postocoglou (?) is going to be a good manager for Spurs. Whether he'll be good enough to drag them out of the usual Spurs mire is another thing. 
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1591
    axisus said:
    It can be a bit soul destroying but it's only pre-season so I wouldn't judge yet. I think that Postocoglou (?) is going to be a good manager for Spurs. Whether he'll be good enough to drag them out of the usual Spurs mire is another thing. 

need new defenders else nothing changes from last season
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Man United did really well in their Pre-Season last year, then got hit with 4-0 at Brentford and then had to splash out like £150 million on 2 players after on Anthony and Casamiro.

Spurs is switching to a completely new style of play, I actually have faith in this new Aussie manager...i can't spell his name either!
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 402
    Literally just discovered this thread....but I wasn't going to read 179 pages :)

Lifelong Villa fan here, Season Ticket holder with my son, travelling all the way from Cornwall to as many home games as possible. I'm a Great Barr boy originally, but plenty of Villans down in the South West to travel to games with.

Loving life at the moment on the Emery train, maybe not the price hikes we've had to swallow the last couple of years, but I'd rather pay to see a competitive team so it's no real bother.

Think this could be a great PL season, just gotta ignore Man City exist and it's all to play for.

Any other Villans here?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Baggies fan here, nice to see some other West Mids teams's fans here. Obviously there's not a lot of love lost between our two clubs in the name of local rivalry but as with when the Wolves were doing well, it's good that at least one local club is doing something of note. It'll be interested to see what a full Emery season can do for you without having to start from a bad position as with Stevie G.

I'm not sure what to make of our situation. We've shipped out one of our lazy players to Cardiff which seems something of a graveyard for our cast offs over the last few years. So we now have one fit striker left, who was playing in league 2 this time last year. And another striker who when he finally returns to training, will probably trip over a bit of gravel in the car park and injure himself again, or perhaps if the wind blows the wrong way. It's not looking great as we have no money to spend, and a threadbare and ultimately poor squad apart from a couple of midfielders. The championship has some bigger teams in it this year so won't be as poor quality as it has been the last few seasons, I expect, so I think if we finish in the top half we'll have surpassed my expectations
    Emery did a fantastic job last year, got a great tune out of a team that Gerrard could do nothing with. Personally I thought he had a shout for manager of the year.

As a Man U fan, I'm a bit depressed that we don't seem to be chasing a top striker. Personally I'd break the bank for Kane, but there doesn't seem to be any appetite. 

Lots of talk about Maguire losing the captaincy. Let's face it, he's a decent player but he doesn't perform for Man U for some reason. I think he should go elsewhere and revitalise his career. I'd like to ship out a few players, Sancho it just isn't happening, Martial I have never been convinced by, a couple of others as well. Sad to se de Gea go, he's been one of Man U's iconic goalies.

Can't wait for the new season!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    I assume we’ll be having a separate thread for the wootball….
    I play at my dining room table.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    What a shit day. 

The Million Pound man and all around legend Trevor Francis tragically passed away.

and it’s just been reported that The Bartman, Chris Bart-Williams has tragically died in the US as well :-( 

Two absolute forest legends, from two different generations, dying on the same day. Utterly heartbreaking 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    That’s a shocker about Bart-Williams :o
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

tFB Trader
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66342566

Juventus kicked out of next years UEFA tournament due FFP rules 

Chelsea have a fine to pay
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    What a shit day. 

The Million Pound man and all around legend Trevor Francis tragically passed away.

and it’s just been reported that The Bartman, Chris Bart-Williams has tragically died in the US as well :-( 

Two absolute forest legends, from two different generations, dying on the same day. Utterly heartbreaking 
    Nice small tribute last night at BOT - I dare say you’ll have a tribute soon back at the City Ground

good luck for the coming season 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66342566

Juventus kicked out of next years UEFA tournament due FFP rules 

Chelsea have a fine to pay
    Chelsea fined £8.57m.

Laughable.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter