Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Everton need to pretend Calvin Lewin doesn’t exist, he might as well not be there with the amount he plays.  They are in more need of a Striker than Man United.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

Maybe a pity that the PL is kind of predictable in so many ways - As an overview, of the 38 matches, 14 will be against the elite clubs, so hard to pick up many/any points - That leaves 24 matches, against 'your competitors' to acquire around 40 points for survival

I think this season is less predictable in many ways.

I can't see Liverpool or Chelsea having such a bad season again.  Villa looked very promising at times last season, ditto Brighton.  Spurs can't be as bad again (yes, I'm ever hopeful, though that's obviously highly dependant on Harry ... but I've been right in my predictions re his situation thus far. ;). ).

Villa/Brighton (and Brentford) demonstrated that its possible for one of the less obvious teams to get up there towards / into the top6, so there could well be someone else who does likewise next season, though I can't see an obvious candidate.

So although ManC are probably favourites, there should be a lot of strong competition if they lose a few, and certainly a lot of competition for the top4/6 places.  ManC, ManU, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea probably all in with a shout for the title if they can start strongly and build some confidence, with Villa, Newcastle, Spurs, Brighton then also competing for top4/6.

Going down?
    Luton are the obvious choice, but then almost any of the rest could feasibly join them.  It'll be hard for Burnley and SheffU to establish themselves against the other mid-tablers (Fulham, Wolves, Bournemouth, Palace), but realistically a bad run for any of those with the loss of confidence and inevitable dumping of manager could put them in the bottom 3.  And has anything changed at Everton since last season (though if Dele gets back to doing what he's capable of, that'd be their best signing in years!)?  

Which leaves Forest ... who knows!
    History shows that the clubs that sit just below the CL positions, often come and go - Villa themselves a few years ago and now they are potentially back - West Ham and Wolves a couple of years ago - Last year Brentford, Brighton and Fulham - On paper, Everton, based on heritage alone, should be there, but for now that appears to be a distant dream - Total credit to how Brentford, Fulham and Brighton have set up their whole structure and recruitment - But the vultures, with huge cheque books, who don't appear to find new talent at source, will come and raid star players as/when it suits them - Good for the finances of the likes of Brentford, Brighton, Fulham, but always a challenge to retain their league position, let alone push on and sustain growth on the pitch - To be honest, based on last years bottom 10 clubs, I'm not so sure who will move up to replace Brentford, Brighton and Fulham - West Ham have the potential to do so - But no replacement yet for Rice - Short of a good striker and once again, a UEFA campaign to compete in, so extra games, compared to the other 13/14 clubs around them so maybe a distraction there 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • When I look at the current Brentfords, Brightons, Fulhams, and the other clubs who've done similar in previous seasons over the time i've been following things (I remember Southampton basically being a feeder club for Liverpool for a few seasons and rebuilding each season after selling their best players), it makes me think how remarkably well my club West Brom did to stay basically mid table in the premier league for 7 seasons as we did. We bought well, until Dan Ashworth left us to go to the England youth setup anyway, that's when things started go to wrong and we started buying absolute jokers such as Nacer Chadli, Oliver Burke and James bloody Chester, but we never really sold anybody for any decent amounts of money as other teams seem to be able to. Not so much Fulham that I'm aware of (yet anyway) but I recall Brentford selling the BMW forward line for massive bucks before they even got into the premiership, and came back actually a better side bizarrely from what I could see. Brighton seem to sell some terrific players also for big money, and rebuild. And that is really impressive, their whole set up and recruitment policies are really shining through vs the traditional spend loads and hope for the best approaches.

But we did it without really buying very good players, mostly good championship level players who had a good attitude and mentality, more so than footballing skill. Then some random signings from some of the lesser quality European leagues here and there which were mostly hit and miss. But players almost always left for hardly anything and were never heard from ever again, mostly because they just weren't very good. It seems our strength was in over performing, basically hanging on in there with just enough ability to get by but more than enough attitude and mentality. Oh and being good at set pieces (basically Chris Brunt + any big defender of your choice). Nobody was really playing for a big move anywhere (because they weren't good enough to), they were just playing to be the best they could be and it worked well. I suppose the ambition ran out and the club got a bit stuck with what to do with the Premier League money, and so started trying to buy bigger and then we fell on our arses and find ourselves now mid table in a very poor championship.

Is there a club in the prem currently that would be the equivalent? Ie, essentially an over performing Championship team who have somehow established themselves?
  • FayeFaye Frets: 77
    So the start of the new season is nearly with us - So what are your predictions/expectations in the PL

Little interest in the PL since we (Leeds) were relegated from it. Similarly, had little interest in the Championship following promotion.  

Developed a dislike for Everton last time out though, so I hope they finally drop. Would also like to see Sheff U flounder. Passing those two on the way back up would be ideal. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Interest in the English top flight has been (for me, at least) on the wane, ever since it became the Premier League, or whatever it’s called now..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Faye said:
    So the start of the new season is nearly with us - So what are your predictions/expectations in the PL

Little interest in the PL since we (Leeds) were relegated from it. Similarly, had little interest in the Championship following promotion.  

Developed a dislike for Everton last time out though, so I hope they finally drop. Would also like to see Sheff U flounder. Passing those two on the way back up would be ideal. 
    I'm at ER on Sunday for the first game - I'll still follow the PL but can follow it with an open mind and no worries - Watch to be entertained now - And of course my second favourite team is still in the PL - Well 19 on them to be honest !!!!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I have a really good feeling about this season so I have put £50 on Luton to win the Prem. Fingers crossed ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    axisus said:
    Fingers crossed ...
    that should do it  ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Faye said:

Good to find a fellow LUFC fan on FB - Bit lonely on here when everyone hates you 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Bit lonely on here when everyone hates you 
    Try being a Man City fan.... :)
    Faye said:

Good to find a fellow LUFC fan on FB - Bit lonely on here when everyone hates you 
    We revel in it, though! 

Happy with Farke, and the 'progress' with the squad so far? Latest rumour that Cooper may be off to Saudi. Still think we need a LB, no.10 and a striker as minimum, but hoping Poveda will turn into the new Pablo. 

I assumed you'd be a Derby fan, being in Ashbourne. I'm in Wirksworth, and remember going in your shop. 
    jellyroll said:
    It must be so hard! 

Seriously though, I don't envy you, and am torn between wanting success for my club and not wanting to turn into the soulless front for a despotic regime. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    jellyroll said:
    I don't know why you are bothered. As a Man U fan there has been loads of hate over the glory years in particular, and my hometown of Luton everyone hated back in the day due to the plastic pitch. So what!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    If West Ham get 10th and QF of Europa it's a good season. We actually have a better squad than two years ago when we qualified for the Europa League and then the Conference League. Paqueta is class, Emerson, Aguerd, Areola are decent, but Scammaca is going, Antonio wants to leave so we have no strikers except Ings. Rice has obviously left so if we don't get a new striker, and a couple of midfielders it could be a difficult year. 
    edited August 2023
     so if we don't get a new striker, and a couple of midfielders it could be a difficult year. 
    Obviously, this all hinges on what happens with Harry, but Spurs' transfer business is looking pretty good, plus with various players coming back from loan/injury, we could have an almost completely new team next season.

In:
    Postecoglu;  we have a manager who speaks English (ish!).  Press conferences are likely to be a lot more interesting.
    Vicario;  (GK, to take over from Lloris, though there's little sign of Lloris leaving as yet).
    Maddison;  (with other fees being paid/demanded, £40m looks like a steal, particularly when Winks went the other way for £10m).
    Solomon;  not really seen him before, but has looked lively in pre-season, and on a free.

Back from loan/injury
    Udogie;  bought last year, but stayed at his original club on loan last season.  Looks good.
    Lo Celso;  back from loan and also looking lively - might actually fit well into a team that plays forward rather than backwards.
    Bissouma;  played about twice last season before getting injured.  He should be a good player.

Out:
    Winks (as above)
    plus some loanees who have gone home

To Leave:
    (That's all been a bit quiet so far, so the team bus is going to have to be a double-decker)
    Lloris;  presume he's not going to be a back-up all season
    Sanchez;  never quite worked out, but then never had much of a run in the team.  Possibly off to Fulham
    Reguilon;  started well, form fell off a cliff, no-one seems to want him now.  Not even Everton.
    Hojbjerg;  Atletico?  If he goes (and we've a lot of midfielders now), that pays for Maddison.  That's a good deal.
    Rodon;  weird situation - plays well for Wales but never seemed to fit at Spurs, or any of the clubs he's been loaned out to.
    Ndombelazygit;  he ought to leave, but that would require him to get off his arse and do something.  Total waster.

Likely further incomings;
    Veliz;  teenage CF from Argentina land.  Supposedly one of the next young superstars.  We'll see.
    Van der Ven;  best 'til last, a nippy CB

Top 4 might be too much of a stretch for a re-build season given the strength of the competition, but a cup final is realistic ...
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    "Ndombelazygit" lol - you really don't like him, do you, @TTony ?

Nitefly said:
    "Ndombelazygit" lol - you really don't like him, do you, @TTony ?

Waste of a seat on the bench.

And that's a bench in the local park.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Faye said:
    Faye said:

We revel in it, though! 

Happy with Farke, and the 'progress' with the squad so far? Latest rumour that Cooper may be off to Saudi. Still think we need a LB, no.10 and a striker as minimum, but hoping Poveda will turn into the new Pablo. 

I assumed you'd be a Derby fan, being in Ashbourne. I'm in Wirksworth, and remember going in your shop. 
    Agree about LB a #10 and a striker - 8 injured for the first match and 6 could well be first choice - 3 strikers injured and only Rutter likely to be back in Aug - Hoping we can turn a winger into #10

Off all the teams that you can genuinely dislike, then Derby top my list - Most Leeds fans would put Man U top of the list but for me it is Derby - Maybe many reasons why, but most of all as I'm surrounded by them and they detest Leeds + Forest 

Can't blame Cooper if he goes - He's put a good shift in for us, but truth be known he is not good enough for the PL if/when we go back - But he does believe in the shirt and the badge and represents what Leeds is about - I wish him well
    City
    man u
    arsenal
    liverpool
    chelsea
    newcastle
    spurs
    the rest
    Luton
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited August 2023
    I have a hunch that Villa would sneak in there, perhaps above Liverpool.  I’m sure Liverpool will
    come good but they have a brand new midfield and not convinced it’s going to click immediately.

probably above Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and Newcastle.
    Faye said:
    Faye said:

We revel in it, though! 

Agree about LB a #10 and a striker - 8 injured for the first match and 6 could well be first choice - 3 strikers injured and only Rutter likely to be back in Aug - Hoping we can turn a winger into #10

Off all the teams that you can genuinely dislike, then Derby top my list - Most Leeds fans would put Man U top of the list but for me it is Derby - Maybe many reasons why, but most of all as I'm surrounded by them and they detest Leeds + Forest 

Can't blame Cooper if he goes - He's put a good shift in for us, but truth be known he is not good enough for the PL if/when we go back - But he does believe in the shirt and the badge and represents what Leeds is about - I wish him well
    I'm really not putting any hope in Rutter - such a bizarre signing, the last gasp of the Orta vanity project. The striker's going to be Dan James, isn't it.  Cooper has his detractors, but a loyal servant for ten years. He can do what he likes for me... hope he stays though, if only to instil some grit into the new signings. 

I'm loathe to admit my dislike of Derby because it acknowledges their bizarre sense of rivalry based on Revie and Clough, but during the spygate season I really started to hate them... and yes, I'm surrounded by them too. Sheff U are worse though, for me... absolute neanderthal club. 

The quote thing on here is really weird!
    tFB Trader
    So the first game of the season was last night in the EFL and great to see they are ahead of the PL on discipline - The first 2 bookings were both for kicking the ball away after a free kick was awarded - Both blatant even if one was only a slight tap and the ball moved 2 yards - No warning so a straight yellow card - Players have been warned before the season starts - Officials will be marked as well if they don't follow through with such new rules 

The PL and indeed UEFA/FIFA should do likewise 

Think there is also a new rule about the dugout - Only 1 coach is allowed to stand near the edge of the technical area - Trying to stop this constant belly aching 

So come on the PL - You are meant to be running the best league in the world so sort out this on field bad  behaviour 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    So the first game of the season was last night in the EFL and great to see they are ahead of the PL on discipline - The first 2 bookings were both for kicking the ball away after a free kick was awarded - Both blatant even if one was only a slight tap and the ball moved 2 yards - No warning so a straight yellow card - Players have been warned before the season starts - Officials will be marked as well if they don't follow through with such new rules 

Think there is also a new rule about the dugout - Only 1 coach is allowed to stand near the edge of the technical area - Trying to stop this constant belly aching 

So come on the PL - You are meant to be running the best league in the world so sort out this on field bad  behaviour 
    Do you know if the PL will be implementing the time added on rule, too?  That’s gonna play havoc with trains and travel etc.  
    edited August 2023
    So the first game of the season was last night in the EFL 
    What is this mysterious "EFL" of which you speak?

Is that the rumoured care home where fallen PL clubs get taken, with visiting hours for their family and fans??

I sometimes wonder what happened to those old, once successful now fading, names from the past.  It's like the old seafront hotel that once had an almost-famous actor staying but has now fallen into disrepair with peeling paint, a broken roof, and boarded-up windows. 

Clubs like Wimbledon, Blackburn Rovers, Coventry City, Blackpool, Portsmouth, Derby County, Leeds United .... does anyone still remember them?

D

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

Is that the rumoured care home where fallen PL clubs get taken, with visiting hours for their family and fans??

I sometimes wonder what happened to those old, once successful now fading, names from the past.  It's like the old seafront hotel that once had an almost-famous actor staying but has now fallen into disrepair with peeling paint, a broken roof, and boarded-up windows. 

Clubs like Wimbledon, Blackburn Rovers, Coventry City, Blackpool, Portsmouth, Derby County, Leeds United .... does anyone still remember them?

D

I might have to check that list but suspect Blackburn Derby and Leeds have won the top flight league 6 times between them since the mighty Spurs last won - will have to find some black n white tv coverage to confirm that - Unless of course you know 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    TTony said:

D

I might have to check that list but suspect Blackburn Derby and Leeds have won the top flight league 6 times between them since the mighty Spurs last won - will have to find some black n white tv coverage to confirm that - Unless of course you know 
    Have spurs ever won anything? ;) I cant remember them doing much during my lifetime.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • So the first game of the season was last night in the EFL and great to see they are ahead of the PL on discipline - The first 2 bookings were both for kicking the ball away after a free kick was awarded - Both blatant even if one was only a slight tap and the ball moved 2 yards - No warning so a straight yellow card - Players have been warned before the season starts - Officials will be marked as well if they don't follow through with such new rules 

What tends to happen in the championship at least, is that whatever "new rules" are touted before the start of the season are enforced really strictly until September and then forgotten about
    Pah ... trinkets that are forgotten when the next season starts ... and anyway, you get 5pts for winning a trinket, but lose 20pts for a relegation
    :D

Joking aside, there are 3 domestic trophies (although that's really 2majors and a minor) and nowadays one of those is generally bought (Leicester being the a part-exception).  So you need to have the best cup run to win one of the others.

In the last few seasons, Spurs sacrificed the style of football in vain pursuit of a trophy, and failed miserably with some miserable players, playing miserable football in front of miserable fans.

What I'll remember is not those past seasons (at least, I hope I don't), it's the run to the CL final in Poch's last full season, when Spurs played Spurs football.  Failing at the end, but it was an incredibly fun journey.  Or Gareth Bale destroying Inter Milan in Harry's era - again, Spurs playing Spurs football, though no trinkets at the end.

I'm hopeful that Postecoglu will bring back football worth watching, will put a smile on the faces of the players and the fans.  We're not going to win the PL in the first season, and I doubt we'll get top 4 either.  I'll settle for the fun football and a decent cup run in which we beat (naturally) ManC in the semis and then lose 5-4 to someone in a final that people remember for years.
    ;) 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Oh to have the lowly aspirations of a Spurs fan...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    tFB Trader
    @TTony - It is interesting to see how many former clubs of the top flight that now reside below the PL - Ipswich and Sheff Wed back in the EFL amongst a host of former PL teams - And in the Championship Derby, Blackpool and Bolton, even Wigan were regular visitors in the past 

I was thinking about this last night - Is there any other 2nd tier league in the world that is so strong and full of so many former names - I suspect not - Around 10 years ago Leeds played Forest in the 3rd tier/championship - It was the first time, in any league ,that two European cup winners had played each other in a 3rd tier match

Is this a good thing and shows how competitive our leagues are - Even though we now have an elite 7 and pretty much a set in stone, for now, title winner - But the EFL does reflect a rags to riches and bag to rags again process 

Agree with you that watching Spurs with Poch was exciting 

I said at the end of last season - It is probably more exciting when you look at  sides like Luton, Wrexham, Sheff Wed, Notts County celebrating their success - Even West Ham  with the European win - Such moments are rare so well worth celebrating, with genuine passion, when it happens - You are glad for them - I feel for the likes of Man City it is now more of a case of whatever and yes we were expecting it - Even the treble  - And that is not said with jealousy - I just feel it means more to Luton that it did to City

Finally from the earlier post I also forgot to add Portsmouth to the list of FA Cup winners in 2008 - I believe that was after Spurs last won it - But hopefully win you win a major tournament again you'll know how West Ham and Luton feel

Sorry another final comment - Assuming it will happen shortly - Will Spurs be ABLE to cope without KANE