Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    See many bookies and the BBC have Luton Sheff Utd and Wolves to go down - With Burnley Everton and Forest hanging on their tales - No surprise really - Ditto top 4 as City, LFC, Man U and Arsenal
    as a Luton fan I agree. Zero chance of staying up but I'm just soooooooo made up that we got there. It's been a long slog back from the wilderness, I didn't think it possible that we would ever get to the Prem. I agree with SU, I'd guess at Forest as third down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229

There are 2 ways to play it really...the money getting into the PL is about £175mil (when parachute payment is included, according to the latest Tifo Football podcast), so if you budget well, and don't go over the top with signings and wages.  Even 1 season at the top can set up the club for a few years financially, either invest into the stadium, youth academy for a longer, sustainable club structure.

Or you can go nuts and blow your budget and try to stay up and might end up doing a Derby County.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    blobb said:
    Gary O'Neil officially announced. Any Bournemouth fans out there? Any good? Good luck to him I say, bring it on.
    Cherries fan here. 

We liked Gary. He knew the team inside out and saved us in the relegation battle after Scott Parkers departure. He's a decent manager - I think he's one of those that you have to give time though - which is what you don't get in PL if there's no results to back it up. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Cheers. I think he has a 50:50 chance of success. The team are looking very decent indeed at the moment, it will go one of two ways - if he plays attacking football and loses a few, they will sing his name. If he plays defensive the fans will crucify him and he'll be gone by xmas. The problem Wolves have is sideways / backwards football. The fans really want to see some attacking play.

Good to know he was well liked, but how good was he at reading the room with the fans? That will be his making / breaking.

After xmas the thin squad will suffer anyway, which is why JLo left. He can't do anything about that and fans will turn attention to owners. Wolves fans are ba**tards when it comes to this. If he plays exciting football up to new year they will have banners up.

Looking forward to seeing your new guy, likes to push on by all accounts. Could see some fireworks this year from you guys.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    blobb said:
    Oh Wolves, what are you doing? :/
    Must be something in the Black Country air at the moment with Wolves losing their manager and my club West Brom losing...well everything - games, marbles, the plot etc. Why can't we just keep our clubs going well?
    My Grandad used to say "It doesn't matter how the Wolves get on, so long as the Baggies lose". And he lived in West Brom! It was friendly banter in those days. The two of them need to be in the top division battling it out, so hope you sort your problems out soon (before we switch places).

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited August 2023
    Apparently Spurs have accepted a €100m bid from Bayern!

I have a feeling its going to be a difficult season for Spurs. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143

Let’s see.

I can only find one root source for that info, and that’s in the not-entirely-disinterested German press.

But I’ve got my tears on standby, just in case ….
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

Let’s see.

I can only find one root source for that info, and that’s in the not-entirely-disinterested German press.

On the Bee'b 
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

Let’s see.

The Bee'b have them down in 8th place on their prediction league - Behind Villa, Chelsea and Newcastle - So the 'bottom of the elite clubs' 

I suspect on the day they will turn it on and be a challenge to anyone - But lack on consistency to do better - Like Chelsea I suspect it will take at least one season for a new manager to transform such a sluggish vessel' - Villa, I suspect have a head start on both for this season 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    There’s no here we go yet from Fabrizio Romano, but it’s reported on his page the two clubs have reached an agreement.  

Down to the player now apparently. 

If he does go, at least Spurs have Richarlison to rely on  :#

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

tFB Trader
    CHRISB50 said:
    There’s no here we go yet from Fabrizio Romano, but it’s reported on his page the two clubs have reached an agreement.  

Chalk and cheese - From one of the most liked and respected players (HK) in the PL to one of the most hated
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    CHRISB50 said:

They could bid £50m for Balogun!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    CHRISB50 said:

Chalk and cheese - From one of the most liked and respected players (HK) in the PL to one of the most hated
    Yep. 

Kane comes across well. And scores goals. 

Richarlison seems like an utter bellend. And doesn’t. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

CHRISB50 said:

Yeah, but apart from that
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    mrkb said:
    CHRISB50 said:

They could bid £50m for Balogun!
    Would £100m get them Mbappe for a season?
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    I’ll miss Harry Kane in the PL but he is well shot of the basket case underachieving Lukewarm Spurs and their disastrous leadership and I hope he manages to get a medal of some sort eventually. Spurs to finish bottom half of the table without him. 
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2339

Much like every season then.
    TTony said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Yeah, but apart from that
    :)

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    Philly_Q said:
    Maybe I don't understand the footballer mentality, but I don't see why Kane would want to go to Bayern. 

Yes, he'll win some trophies, but at a club which wins the Bundesliga every year - and would whether he was there or not.  And yes, he'll get Champions League football, but they're not going to win it.  It's not exactly glittering prizes.

Plus he's got a wife and four(?) young kids, do they all move over and go to German schools, or do they stay in the UK?

I guess maybe he just wants to experience something different.
    Bayern it is.

Bayern it is.
    Maybe.  Maybe not.

There’s plenty of conflicting rumour flying around atm.  Until it’s announced officially by Spurs, I’m keeping my tears on alert, but dry.

Spurs might have accepted an offer, but even if so, doesn’t mean HK will also agree and move.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I can't imagine Bayen spent an entire summer chasing a player and agreed to a price, only for the player to say no.  They must have some knowledge through an intermediary that Kane is open to the move.  As opposed to he kept saying "no" behind closed doors.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Philly_Q said:
    Maybe I don't understand the footballer mentality, but I don't see why Kane would want to go to Bayern. 

Yes, he'll win some trophies, but at a club which wins the Bundesliga every year - and would whether he was there or not.  And yes, he'll get Champions League football, but they're not going to win it.  It's not exactly glittering prizes.

Plus he's got a wife and four(?) young kids, do they all move over and go to German schools, or do they stay in the UK?

Bayern it is.
    Perhaps hes waiting until hes played is his last EFL SECOND ROUND SOUTH game at the end of the month before downgrading to the Champions league.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    Philly_Q said:

Bayern it is.
    Perhaps hes waiting until hes played is his last EFL SECOND ROUND SOUTH game at the end of the month before downgrading to the Champions league.

nah, he's stated if he plays this Sunday then he's there for the season, hence why it's ramped up today...  Ange's prep will be ramping up massive in the next 24 hours and he'd prefer it resolved.

Levy's been cute as usual, set a price, see if its matched.. then put the onus on the player.. will Kane tarnish his rep by leaving, maybe with some but most level-headed fans will respect his decision.

It's grim being a selling club... let alone not investing when we have been so close in recent years..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    We've invested in new players, but they have largely failed to be, you know, any good.

Apparently Ange has been getting good stuff out of Lo Celso, and people have been asking if the Davinson Sanchez who's played in pre-season games is related to the error-prone chap who's played in the last few years.

I'll be sad when he leaves, whenever that will be, but I was sad when Greaves left, when Chivers left, when Archibald left, when Lineker left. The game continues. 
    bloodandtears said:

will Kane tarnish his rep by leaving, maybe with some but most level-headed fans will respect his decision.

Yup.

Comparison with Bale really - left the club, but the fans were always waiting for a return, and were most happy when he did.

Others have done it in the past too (Defoe springs to mind).  Jennings even went to the Arse, but is still treated / viewed as an ex-Spurs player.

And of course Sol Campbell always got a huge response whenever he came back to WHL.
    :D
  • I have a feeling its going to be a difficult season for Spurs. 
    As opposed to...?  ;)
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Meanwhile, Luton Airport are getting behind the Hatters:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-66461863

"environmentally friendly paint" too!  :)

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    As opposed to...?  ;)
    Well yea. I hide my disdain for them here, and my glee at their hardship because I like @TTony and I think he's upset by all of this and I can see why. :(
    As opposed to...? 
    Well yea. I hide my disdain for them here, and my glee at their hardship because I like @TTony and I think he's upset by all of this and I can see why.
    West Ham fan in "he's alright really" shocking admission re Spurs fan ... fan now banned from all local pubs.

TBH, I'm not upset (yet).  I'm a Spurs fan - eternal optimist - and until he's not on the pitch against Brentford on Sunday, I'm still expecting that he will be.

And even then, we've lost our #1 player before and managed to move on.  Arguably our best recent seasons (2nd in PL and then CL runners up) were after our previous #1 player had moved on to Madrid.  Perhaps we'd have won both with him, who knows.  Teams move on and £100m buys some decent players (unless you're Chelsea) to fill other holes in the squad.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    edited August 2023

will Kane tarnish his rep by leaving, maybe with some but most level-headed fans will respect his decision.

I can't see how any Spurs fan could say him leaving will tarnish his repulation - the facts and his records speak for themselves.  I'm sure every Spurs fan will be sorry to see him leave, but none could complain about what he's given to the club.  He's one of the greats in Spurs history.  If they'd have won the Premier League or the Champions League during his career I reckon he might have chosen to stay.  It's not like he's choosing to go to Saudi Arabia for the £.

I think it's good business all round.  Bayern are paying an inflated amount to get him before he can choose a Premiership contender next year on a free, Kane is likely to actually win something and whilst the Bundesliga isn't the Premiership, Bayern are still a European heavyweight, Levy gets he wants with him not going to a Premiership rival and it's £86m for someone in their 30's which is more than Haaland (only 23) is predicted to cost City.