Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Nitefly said:
    Well well, I see West Ham have made a bid of "more than £50 mill" to MU for Maguire and McTominay!

Would ETH let them both go? 

*edit* here's the link:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66432783

It's been rejected. I think that realistically it's a £70m deal. We're way off. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Philly_Q said:
    Maybe I don't understand the footballer mentality, but I don't see why Kane would want to go to Bayern. 

Yes, he'll win some trophies, but at a club which wins the Bundesliga every year - and would whether he was there or not.  And yes, he'll get Champions League football, but they're not going to win it.  It's not exactly glittering prizes.

Plus he's got a wife and four(?) young kids, do they all move over and go to German schools, or do they stay in the UK?

I guess maybe he just wants to experience something different.
    I remember a brilliant quote from the Bayern manager when Michael Ballack wanted to go to Chelsea. Asked about this, he said;

"Michael feels the time has come in his life for him to go abroad and learn a new currency".
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigBearKris said:
    Can't see this year's fantasy PL thread anywhere and it didn't automatically renewed for me - like it did the previous years. Help?
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/250732/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Nitefly said:
    Well well, I see West Ham have made a bid of "more than £50 mill" to MU for Maguire and McTominay!

Yeah, I though they were short of the mark. It would be a good deal for both clubs though, and I'd say both players as well. They have plenty to offer the game but neither will get much game time at Man U. Maguire needs to go elsewhere and rebuild his game, and McTominay should be playing regular football somewhere.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    axisus said:
    Nitefly said:

Yeah, I though they were short of the mark. It would be a good deal for both clubs though, and I'd say both players as well. They have plenty to offer the game but neither will get much game time at Man U. Maguire needs to go elsewhere and rebuild his game, and McTominay should be playing regular football somewhere.
    They're not popular choices amongst the West Ham fanbase. Maguire is a liability and he'd be legitimately competing with Aguerd and Zouma and could end up as third choice CB for us so that seems excessive although we could use him in a rotation system as we are in four competitions. I imagine he'll suit Moyes' style and have less issues because we don't play out from the back like ETH likes to. But Moyes is likely to leave next year as his contract is up and I'd be surprised if we don't get a more modern thinking coach who will want to play modern football and then what, he's a £30m paperweight. McTominay is a solid choice and would make a decent CM but £45m? It's crazy money for what he actually is considering that we got Paqueta for not much more.

We should have done all this business before we sold Rice because we are getting held over a barrel for players whose price tags have suddenly gone up £10-15m.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited August 2023
    axisus said:
    Nitefly said:

They're not popular choices amongst the West Ham fanbase. Maguire is a liability and he'd be legitimately competing with Aguerd and Zouma and could end up as third choice CB for us so that seems excessive although we could use him in a rotation system as we are in four competitions. I imagine he'll suit Moyes' style and have less issues because we don't play out from the back like ETH likes to. But Moyes is likely to leave next year as his contract is up and I'd be surprised if we don't get a more modern thinking coach who will want to play modern football and then what, he's a £30m paperweight. McTominay is a solid choice and would make a decent CM but £45m? It's crazy money for what he actually is considering that we got Paqueta for not much more.

We should have done all this business before we sold Rice because we are getting held over a barrel for players whose price tags have suddenly gone up £10-15m.
    Even as a United fan, I agree with your assessment 100% !

I reckon £60m would probably be enough to get both of them.  £50m would be a bit low considering £20m for Maguire was rejected, so £35m for McTom and £25m for Maguire would be a fair price in today's stupid transfer market.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143

To be fair, it seems that most players' price tags have gone up at least £10m-£15m.  There's crazy money being splashed about for young (and therefore relatively unproven) players.

I still think Maddison for £30m net (ie £40m less the £10m for Winks) will prove to be the steal of this window.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yeah I think Maddison to Sours and Barnes to Newcastle are both excellent signings (though I'm biased on Barnes as he played at West Brom for a few months and then Leicester decided he was too good for us, quite correctly).
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Oh Wolves, what are you doing? :/
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NightswanNightswan Frets: 1143
    blobb said:
    Not the best timing for sure.
    axisus said:
    Nitefly said:

Even as a United fan, I agree with your assessment 100% !

I reckon £60m would probably be enough to get both of them.  £50m would be a bit low considering £20m for Maguire was rejected, so £35m for McTom and £25m for Maguire would be a fair price in today's stupid transfer market.
    Probably £60-70m would be enough yea. The market is insane.

TTony said:

To be fair, it seems that most players' price tags have gone up at least £10m-£15m.  There's crazy money being splashed about for young (and therefore relatively unproven) players.

I still think Maddison for £30m net (ie £40m less the £10m for Winks) will prove to be the steal of this window.  
    Yea but I think that people know we're double rich, even though I think a chunk of that money is meant to pay for the £200m we spent last yea.

In other news, Romano is reporting City have made a £70m bid for Paqueta. Beyond the top few we really are just all vessels for the Saudi/Qatar FC consortium aren't we.

We've had him for one year and he could well be going too. Hopefully they convince him to stay one more year before he goes because if he goes too Weare buggered. If we were like Brighton who seem to have the ability to bring in as good or better players for less when they sell someone great I wouldn't mind, but this window has shown us that we very much aren't, and all the senior team are doing it squabbling over scraps of power. 
  • blobb said:
    Must be something in the Black Country air at the moment with Wolves losing their manager and my club West Brom losing...well everything - games, marbles, the plot etc. Why can't we just keep our clubs going well?
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    I've always rated McTominay and Maguire has always performed well for England at least and he has some passion

But neither of them are first choice at an underperforming Man U , so even £50M for both seems high to me 
    McTominay is way too average, to be honest. And Maguire is a dogmash sandwich. 

Problem isn't the transfer fee, it's his wages. He's on £200k a week and nobody is going to pay that - so from his point of view (financially rather than professionally), it makes sense for him to stay at United. United may end up doing some deal where they pay him a lump sum to go to reflect his drop in earnings.

Football eh. And they say there's no money in it....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 878
    The problem with Arsenull is they always try to walk it in.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I think Ward Prowse should be a good move for West Ham - Not as complete a midfield player in the sense of Rice - less of that 1/4 back role - But a good attacking/central midfield player - Nice n easy on the eye - Good vision and great set play - Suspect he'd get more goals in a season than Rice but not that defensive player in the way Rice was 

Hope it works out for West Ham and Maguire 
    tFB Trader
    See many bookies and the BBC have Luton Sheff Utd and Wolves to go down - With Burnley Everton and Forest hanging on their tales - No surprise really - Ditto top 4 as City, LFC, Man U and Arsenal
  • I really hope Wolves don't go down. I know saying that as a Baggies fan has the potential to get me exiled forever (perhaps that's a good thing from my point of view) but I liked what the club was doing until it seemed to lose the plot a bit in recent seasons, and there's a lot of potential there for them to get back to that.

I suppose also by Wolves staying in a different league than us, it keeps our good record against them in tact as I think they'd only need to field 11 cardboard cutouts against us at the moment to beat us
    tFB Trader
    I really hope Wolves don't go down. I know saying that as a Baggies fan has the potential to get me exiled forever (perhaps that's a good thing from my point of view) but I liked what the club was doing until it seemed to lose the plot a bit in recent seasons, and there's a lot of potential there for them to get back to that.

I suppose also by Wolves staying in a different league than us, it keeps our good record against them in tact as I think they'd only need to field 11 cardboard cutouts against us at the moment to beat us
    Agree - there was somewhat of a breath of fresh air about them 3/4 years ago - Ability to find so many great overseas players (although there was always something controversial about this - Can't recall the details but something to do with an agent)

But as a big Leeds fan easy to see how you loose direction once you sack Bielsa - The identity that took you there is taken away - Think that is why many fans were interested in Corberan
    We've got a decent backbone of a team. They showed a side in the last pre-season that really could do some damage. Transition from Nuno "Strength at the back / pace in attack" mantra to a flat back 4 now complete after stumbling around the issue for a year or two. And JLo throws rattle out of the pram at the last minute! Gomez is one to watch, Nunes is a real fighter with sublime talent, Fabio on the cusp of something great too - will we see them in all their glory? Doubt it now. That's the shame of it for me.

Ah well, we've been through worse ....

• blobb said:
    We've got a decent backbone of a team. They showed a side in the last pre-season that really could do some damage. Transition from Nuno "Strength at the back / pace in attack" mantra to a flat back 4 now complete after stumbling around the issue for a year or two. And JLo throws rattle out of the pram at the last minute! Gomez is one to watch, Nunes is a real fighter with sublime talent, Fabio on the cusp of something great too - will we see them in all their glory? Doubt it now. That's the shame of it for me.

Ah well, we've been through worse ....

As you say though, there's a good backbone there so maybe with what's-his-face gone, the players might actually feel refreshed and hopefully buy into the new chap's ideas. At least you're not playing until Monday so that's a little bit of extra time with the new chap in there.

But as a big Leeds fan easy to see how you loose direction once you sack Bielsa - The identity that took you there is taken away - Think that is why many fans were interested in Corberan
    the way it's going you'll have another shot at getting him in October/November time if Farke doesn't work out for you
    Gary O'Neil officially announced. Any Bournemouth fans out there? Any good? Good luck to him I say, bring it on.
  • So Turner's gone to Forest. Good luck to him. Must mean we are getting Raya to challenge Ramsdale which I think he needs as he's got no one to push him so if he makes mistakes or goes off form he will keep his place in goal. It will improve his concentration.

Still concerned about the striker position. Need that centre-forward who can get 25+ goals a season. Not a wide attacking player we seem to have many supply of. Havertz isn't a central striker for me. A proper striker would have buried those two chances vs City in the Dinner Plate cup on Sunday.
    edited August 2023
    Hattigol said:
    Problem isn't the transfer fee, it's his wages. He's on £200k a week and nobody is going to pay that - so from his point of view (financially rather than professionally), it makes sense for him to stay at United. United may end up doing some deal where they pay him a lump sum to go to reflect his drop in earnings.
    Apparently the deal is pretty much done along eith a few others. 
    Hattigol said:
    And United are paying him a chunk of cash to reflect the salary loss.

Thrilled he's gone. You're a West Ham fan, aren't you? Your relegation odds have just been slashed!  =)
    edited August 2023
    Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:
    And United are paying him a chunk of cash to reflect the salary loss.

Thrilled he's gone. You're a West Ham fan, aren't you? Your relegation odds have just been slashed! 
    I think he'll do better without the captaincy of United, and by playing a different style. He's not a bad player but his confidence is shot there. I saw a video last week where a 'fan' gave him a note which apparently said 'get out of our club'. What's that all about?

The issue is if Moyes leaves next year as he's expected to when his contract ends and we get a modern coach we will have a £30m player who can't play intensive modern football. 

Hopefully if that happens another top 4 team will nab him like they're nabbing all our other players. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    We (Palace) have got big clubs sniffing around both of our centre backs and I would have loved MacGuire as a replacement. I think at a smaller club with less expectations and a slightly regressive approach (like Hodgson era Palace) he’ll be fantastic and will soon have the crowd behind him 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I think he'll do better without the captaincy of United, and by playing a different style. He's not a bad player but his confidence is shot there. 
    Agree.

Even though ManU always overpay, I don't think that £80m Maguire has suddenly become a bad player - just that his style didn't fit with ManU anymore.

Put him in a side that plays in a way that he can play to his strengths and you'll have a solid (not showy, but solid) CB.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    I think he'll do better without the captaincy of United, and by playing a different style. He's not a bad player but his confidence is shot there. 
    Agree.

Even though ManU always overpay, I don't think that £80m Maguire has suddenly become a bad player - just that his style didn't fit with ManU anymore.

Put him in a side that plays in a way that he can play to his strengths and you'll have a solid (not showy, but solid) CB.
    Yea. But £30m for a backup, rotational CB when you're West Ham is insane. 
    If we lose Paqueta this window I will cry.