Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    I’ll be delighted if we get Caiciedo. Exactly the type of player we needed. LFC needed a new midfield, and we’ll now have one. McCallister was under priced, so it evens out the high Caciedo fee between the two. Bellingham was never coming so pointless bringing that up. Bring on the new season! 
    Yea it's in the past. 
    Much like LFC's success....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    guitars4you said:

What is both annoying and also wrong with the game now is the big clubs - They barely look at the potential of Bellingham (and similar) when they are 17 and still at Birmingham - They prefer to adopt a policy of 'my cheque book is bigger than yours' so they look at spending big when the players talent are more obvious 

I always use to quote Van Dijk as the example - There is no skill writing a cheque in excess of £70 mill - The real talent is spotting him before he went to Soton and even better before he went to Celtic 

The days have changed when the likes of Keegan were spotted putting out deck chairs at Skegness and playing for Scunthorpe - Brighton, Fulham and Brentford appear to be 'currently' far better at this - Whilst the likes of Ajax have such a policy set in stone
    You're actually wrong on that one, Mark. United did everything they could to try and sign Bellingham when he was 16, including having his family up at Carrington and Fergie showing them around the place.

Hats off to the lad though - hell of a bold move going to Germany at such a young age and bloody hell, didn't it work out well for him. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    That's a detailed analysis @TeleMaster ;

I'd split the top5 slightly differently.
    1. Pep
    2. ETH
    3. Poch
    4. Liverpool
    5. Arsenal
    Top3 based on what I think the managers ought to be able to do with the resources they've got available.  Pep because of the been-there-done-it, ETH because of the progress ManU made in the second half of last season but they're missing the been-there-done-it, and Poch because of the depth of quality individuals he's got available.

So I'm betting on the managers rather than the teams for the top3 positions.

Liverpool/Arsenal, not really too bothered which goes where, but I think Arsenal maybe over-achieved last year, and will suffer a bit from the near-miss.  Can't see Liverpool being as bad again.

The next group are then all fighting for the European scraps - Villa, Newcastle, Spurs, maybe Brighton in there again, but they've got to replace some top (or at least, expensive) players yet again.  

Relegation;
    It'll take a miracle for Luton to stay up. 
    SheffUtd played well on the few occasions I saw them last season, but more in a combative, high-effort championship sort of way.  Not sure they've got the finesse or defensive solidity to survive and a few heavy defeats might just knock their confidence.
    And I'll book the final slot based on the managers too, so either Bournemouth or Wolves.  Both let proven PL managers go so it's high risk for both.  Again, a bad start and the new manager could be gone by Xmas, followed by chaos and uncertainty, or big Sam.

Everton and Burnley I think are OK, based on the managers.  But again, a bad start, a sacking, and they could be contenders too.

My surprise team would be Forest.  Last season was a "let's survive" challenge.  This season could be a consolidate / establish season with them ending up comfortable in lower mid table.  Again, that's really a bet on the manager!

For Spurs?
    I really can't see top4/5, not in Postecoglou's first season and without Kane.  Genuinely, I'll settle for a cup final and some proper Spurs football (at long last).  I'd rather miss the European scraps places (again) because of the domestic disruption and let Postecoglou build the foundations this coming season for a top4 challenge the following season.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:
    guitars4you said:

What is both annoying and also wrong with the game now is the big clubs - They barely look at the potential of Bellingham (and similar) when they are 17 and still at Birmingham - They prefer to adopt a policy of 'my cheque book is bigger than yours' so they look at spending big when the players talent are more obvious 

I always use to quote Van Dijk as the example - There is no skill writing a cheque in excess of £70 mill - The real talent is spotting him before he went to Soton and even better before he went to Celtic 

The days have changed when the likes of Keegan were spotted putting out deck chairs at Skegness and playing for Scunthorpe - Brighton, Fulham and Brentford appear to be 'currently' far better at this - Whilst the likes of Ajax have such a policy set in stone
    You're actually wrong on that one, Mark. United did everything they could to try and sign Bellingham when he was 16, including having his family up at Carrington and Fergie showing them around the place.

Hats off to the lad though - hell of a bold move going to Germany at such a young age and bloody hell, didn't it work out well for him. 
    In fairness to Man U they have brought players thru' the system on many occasions - Not just the class of 92 - But today they have Rashford and even Greenwood - Plus others 

I was using Bellingham as a well known example of how his price has risen considerably and now big clubs want him - I did not realise Man U enquired about him - But you know there are many many times whereby the big clubs just want to spend - For every Kane, that comes thru' the ranks, the clubs spend millions on failures - I know not all kids will become Giggs or Kane but good teams are not just about stars - Denis Irwin and Steve Bruce etc are just as important in a good team as the big ticket glory boys and/or the expensive idol gits who are just passing through

Equally I bet all of us, who support our clubs, have well known examples of the ones that got away - ie came from the academy but dismissed, before 18, as not going to make it - Only to be proven wrong at a later date  - David Seaman is a big example at Leeds - Eddie Gray said he won't make it 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Caciedo declines Liverpool and only wants to join Chelsea!

Drama!!!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    @TeleMaster Good thoughts!
    tFB Trader

Drama!!!

Long term, then maybe not an issue - But next year alone, LFC are in the CL as well as potentially in a better place to challenge for the PL title and at worse expected to make the top 4

Chelsea are at least a year away from any of this 

Can't recall so much drama as this current transfer window - will he won't he etc etc 

I'm surprised to see such a price tag on him at this stage of his career - Makes Mac Allister look a bargain, ditto Ward Prowse
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    blobb said:
    Gary O'Neil officially announced. Any Bournemouth fans out there? Any good? Good luck to him I say, bring it on.
    Cherries fan here. 

We liked Gary. He knew the team inside out and saved us in the relegation battle after Scott Parkers departure. He's a decent manager - I think he's one of those that you have to give time though - which is what you don't get in PL if there's no results to back it up. 
    I think this might be the reason he fails at Wolves...he succeeded last season because he was instilled in the culture at Bournemouth and knew the entire squad. They've lost a couple of key players and I'm not sure he can come in and change the culture at Wolves with the limitations they have on transfers etc. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    TTony said:
    That's a detailed analysis @TeleMaster ;

I'd split the top5 slightly differently.
    1. Pep
    2. ETH
    3. Poch
    4. Liverpool
    5. Arsenal
    Top3 based on what I think the managers ought to be able to do with the resources they've got available.  Pep because of the been-there-done-it, ETH because of the progress ManU made in the second half of last season but they're missing the been-there-done-it, and Poch because of the depth of quality individuals he's got available.

So I'm betting on the managers rather than the teams for the top3 positions.

Liverpool/Arsenal, not really too bothered which goes where, but I think Arsenal maybe over-achieved last year, and will suffer a bit from the near-miss.  Can't see Liverpool being as bad again.

The next group are then all fighting for the European scraps - Villa, Newcastle, Spurs, maybe Brighton in there again, but they've got to replace some top (or at least, expensive) players yet again.  

Relegation;
    It'll take a miracle for Luton to stay up. 
    SheffUtd played well on the few occasions I saw them last season, but more in a combative, high-effort championship sort of way.  Not sure they've got the finesse or defensive solidity to survive and a few heavy defeats might just knock their confidence.
    And I'll book the final slot based on the managers too, so either Bournemouth or Wolves.  Both let proven PL managers go so it's high risk for both.  Again, a bad start and the new manager could be gone by Xmas, followed by chaos and uncertainty, or big Sam.

Everton and Burnley I think are OK, based on the managers.  But again, a bad start, a sacking, and they could be contenders too.

My surprise team would be Forest.  Last season was a "let's survive" challenge.  This season could be a consolidate / establish season with them ending up comfortable in lower mid table.  Again, that's really a bet on the manager!

For Spurs?
    I really can't see top4/5, not in Postecoglou's first season and without Kane.  Genuinely, I'll settle for a cup final and some proper Spurs football (at long last).  I'd rather miss the European scraps places (again) because of the domestic disruption and let Postecoglou build the foundations this coming season for a top4 challenge the following season.
    I don't think we'll challenge much above 14th or 15th unless something strange happens. We're still a few players away from some proper depth (another striker, CB and DM at least)....and thanks to whoever works out the fixture lists - they're clearly a derby fan as we have 2 home games in August and Sept; Sheffield United and Burnley. 

The remaining games?
    Arsenal Away
    Man United Away
    Chelsea Away
    Man City Away :-|

If Cooper survives into October and we aren't completely decimated mentally from that shitty run of games - then I think we'll be fine. 

Now Kane's confirmed going to Bayern, If rumours are true, we may lose Brennan Johnson to Spurs, which won't be ideal - but if we do, I hope we don't short change ourselves. Transfer market is massively over inflated so £50m MINIMUM. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197

Drama!!!

I've just been asked to set up an image rights company for him! 

And he's going to..... I don't know which club.  :o

• Caciedo declines Liverpool and only wants to join Chelsea!

Drama!!!

It's going to be complicated for him if Chelsea won't stump up the extra.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    scrumhalf said:
    Hopefully we will invest the Kane money wisely.. 3 weeks to buy a striker better than RIcharlison and a centre half better than Dier...

or do we limp on until we can buy Ivan Toney in January?? Celtic's Kyogo?

And one upside if Kane goes, we might get some goals from free kicks. 

If Kane goes you won't be getting half as many free kicks.. 
  • DesVegas said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Hopefully we will invest the Kane money wisely.. 3 weeks to buy a striker better than RIcharlison and a centre half better than Dier...

richarlison is always on the deck.. and maddison can score them...  fingers crossed
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

tFB Trader

Drama!!!

so true
    tFB Trader

Drama!!!

so true
    And Tyler Adams now has to drive back up the M1 with his tail between his legs - If they don't want to play for us then sod off - They were happy to sign on a year ago so fight for the cause or go forth and multiply

Ditto Gnonto
    DesVegas said:
    scrumhalf said:

I think goals in general might be the issue eeek. 
    Richarlison scores enough for Brazil.

So as long as Spurs play like Brazil, and maybe change shirt colour, we'll be fine.
    :+1:
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    TTony said:

So as long as Spurs play like Brazil, and maybe change shirt colour, we'll be fine.
    One of the best players in the league him, works his arse off, kept Everton up nearly single handed the season before last. 

Spurs play him regular and you'll see the best of him. Unbelievable player.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    4 min gone
    Haaland already the season’s leading scorer 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    edited August 2023
    I thought Foden was offside for the goal, ball from corner was passed slightly forwards because it was on the limit of the corner circle and Foden was on the goal line when it was passed to him, so he was in front of the ball

• scrumhalf said:

Past history suggests that this may not be the most likely scenario. We have a regrettable history of shelling out big fees for players who do buggerall.

If Son is injury-free and firing on all cylinders then we'll have plenty of firepower up front if we buy well. 

But you won’t “win” so many free kicks  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Well that Man City v Burnley game was poor to watch - Burnley had a couple of moments in the first half - For Man City looked like a training exercise - I thought my volume was down sometimes as the crowd were that quite - I'm sure Burnley will have many good days and to be honest Man City are not there fight with regards to getting 40 ish points for survival 
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    TTony said:

One of the best players in the league him, works his arse off, kept Everton up nearly single handed the season before last. 

Unbelievable knob head as others have said - Just wish he'd keep his head down and play football and ignore all other non-related dick head issues 
    tony99 said:
    TTony said:

Unbelievable knob head as others have said - Just wish he'd keep his head down and play football and ignore all other non-related dick head issues 
    What like?
  • Well that Man City v Burnley game was poor to watch - Burnley had a couple of moments in the first half - For Man City looked like a training exercise - I thought my volume was down sometimes as the crowd were that quite - I'm sure Burnley will have many good days and to be honest Man City are not there fight with regards to getting 40 ish points for survival 
    The only highlight for this neutral was hearing the Burnley fans sing "fuck VAR" nice and loudly on the TV.

Burnley looked suspiciously like "that team" who plays decent football but loses every match. Think they'll have a hard season. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Now that Kane has left Spurs, Richarlison and the other players are freer to play. As they are not hamstrung by playing for the ‘big man’, they can now show their capabilities. Similar to how Liverpool played and performed after Stevie G left. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    Gerrard would've excelled in this Liverpool team. If anything, the poor squad around him held HIM back, not the other way round. FSG got it wrong with managerial appointments until Klopp came on board and the board backed him with the likes of VVD, Salah, Firminho, Mane, Trent, Allison etc who were brought in after he left. These players weren't hamstrung by Gerrard, they never played with him. He was never the issue at Liverpool, he made everyone play better from what I can see. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I think Kane leaving could be a good thing.  Postecoglou loves a rebuild, and now without his talisman, his biggest star, he has a free hit this year.  People weren't expecting him to challenge for the title or even top 4 this year and now the expectations is likely even lower so the pressure is less, relatively speaking.
    Gerrard would've excelled in this Liverpool team. If anything, the poor squad around him held HIM back, not the other way round. FSG got it wrong with managerial appointments until Klopp came on board and the board backed him with the likes of VVD, Salah, Firminho, Mane, Trent, Allison etc who were brought in after he left. 
    That's a great little example of how much Liverpool's board do indeed back the manager; a good couple of hundred million in just those few names alone. And yet somehow you see loads of Liverpool fans and journalists buying into this narrative that they don't spend; it's ridiculous.

Great points there Tele.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Harry's only been gone a day, and already its only goal difference that's keeping Spurs out of the relegation zone.
    :(
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter