Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• I like Poch but I really dislike how Chelsea is signing up every player under the sun, they clearly can't play them all, they are quickly becoming like the Borg

they've been doing that for a long time.. no reflection of Poch
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I like Poch but I really dislike how Chelsea is signing up every player under the sun, they clearly can't play them all, they are quickly becoming like the Borg

they've been doing that for a long time.. no reflection of Poch
    I know it's not a reflection of Poch, I want to see him do well, but right now, I want to see Chelsea do really badly!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Liverpool have put in a bid for Harry Maguire.

Chelsea: "nice try, but we're not falling for that".
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    scrumhalf said:
    Liverpool have put in a bid for Harry Maguire.

Chelsea: "nice try, but we're not falling for that".
    lol - I thought he was off to West Ham, but it seems not:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66520737

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Boromedic said:
    I was about to post exactly the same :lol: 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Harry's off the mark on his full debut
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Harry's off the mark on his full debut
    I watched that game.

Not hugely impressed with the standard of football, but a LOT less of the falling over.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    Looks like Leeds are adapting the Gilbert O'Sullivan approach - A loan again, naturally 

Jack Harrison now gone to Everton - So that is now 6/7 of last years 1st team now on loan and most of those have only been at the club 1 season - What is it with the previous owner + DOF that adopted such crap 'get out' clauses - Sign and play for us or don't bother coming at all should be the order of the day - 1/2 the reason we are relegated is because of the players performance on the pitch and now they want out afterwards 

I understand a loan for a junior player to develop outside your squad and give them game time  elsewhere - But not 6/7 senior first team players - Just clear off and don't bother coming back 
    On the other hand, if they go away and do well it's potentially win win for the parent club - either their transfer fee will have increased, or they'll come back a better player if you do go up, and presumably you've not had to pay their wages either.

My team West Brom have done it with lazy git Karlan Grant as we would not have got a fraction of what we paid should we sell him now, but if he goes away to Cardiff and scores 20 goals then we have a chance of recouping more money and for no real effort on our part. And it stops him getting booed every week merely for getting up off the subs bench for a little warm up
    I don't think any of them will be welcome back - 2/3 initially said they wanted to stay then bailed out - Side before self is set in stone at LUFC - God knows what team we'll have to face you on Friday night - Around 5/6 injured as well, plus Gnonto + Sinisterra currently not allowed to train with the first team, as they want out, but can only be a sale now as we are up to our limit for on loan options 
    I wouldn't worry too much about Friday's match though to be honest. We were pretty poor on Saturday and very nearly threw away a 3-0 lead because our manager decided to take the makeshift striker off, leaving us playing a formation of 5-5-0, and despite having that many players back we still couldn't head a ball. So at least that buys you a bit of time as you'll have no problem stuffing us I'm sure - just kick the ball in the general area of the box with some of your players there and we'll let you through
    Maybe a fair result in the end - Not a great game - So many injuries we couldn't even make up a bench - Plus U21 match tonight v Man U (which we won)

Bit of a Ray Tinkler moment for your goal - They level themselves up throughout the year, but frustrating when it happens

A few empty seats from your allocation - Not a game I need to keep in my memory bank
  • Looks like Leeds are adapting the Gilbert O'Sullivan approach - A loan again, naturally 

Jack Harrison now gone to Everton - So that is now 6/7 of last years 1st team now on loan and most of those have only been at the club 1 season - What is it with the previous owner + DOF that adopted such crap 'get out' clauses - Sign and play for us or don't bother coming at all should be the order of the day - 1/2 the reason we are relegated is because of the players performance on the pitch and now they want out afterwards 

I understand a loan for a junior player to develop outside your squad and give them game time  elsewhere - But not 6/7 senior first team players - Just clear off and don't bother coming back 
    On the other hand, if they go away and do well it's potentially win win for the parent club - either their transfer fee will have increased, or they'll come back a better player if you do go up, and presumably you've not had to pay their wages either.

My team West Brom have done it with lazy git Karlan Grant as we would not have got a fraction of what we paid should we sell him now, but if he goes away to Cardiff and scores 20 goals then we have a chance of recouping more money and for no real effort on our part. And it stops him getting booed every week merely for getting up off the subs bench for a little warm up
    I don't think any of them will be welcome back - 2/3 initially said they wanted to stay then bailed out - Side before self is set in stone at LUFC - God knows what team we'll have to face you on Friday night - Around 5/6 injured as well, plus Gnonto + Sinisterra currently not allowed to train with the first team, as they want out, but can only be a sale now as we are up to our limit for on loan options 
    I wouldn't worry too much about Friday's match though to be honest. We were pretty poor on Saturday and very nearly threw away a 3-0 lead because our manager decided to take the makeshift striker off, leaving us playing a formation of 5-5-0, and despite having that many players back we still couldn't head a ball. So at least that buys you a bit of time as you'll have no problem stuffing us I'm sure - just kick the ball in the general area of the box with some of your players there and we'll let you through
    Maybe a fair result in the end - Not a great game - So many injuries we couldn't even make up a bench - Plus U21 match tonight v Man U (which we won)

Bit of a Ray Tinkler moment for your goal - They level themselves up throughout the year, but frustrating when it happens

A few empty seats from your allocation - Not a game I need to keep in my memory bank
    I've only just bothered to look at the result, a surprise we got a draw but sounds like the goal wouldn't have stood if there was a competent ref and/or VAR, so I guess that's why we managed to fluke it. I imagine 1-1 suits us much more than you guys.

Re the empty seats I think there was a lot of moaning about the away ticket prices, considering it's on the TV, and even more so considering we are very boring to watch. I've mainly renewed my season ticket this year to watch the opposition teams! As there are some better sides in there this year than usual
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    The good news is Paqueta is staying!

The bad news is he's been charged with betting offences! 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The good news is Paqueta is staying ....
    .... at home for the next 6 months
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    TTony said:
    .... in William Hill's for the next 6 months
    FTFY
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    TTony said:
    .... at home for the next 6 months
    Hmm dunno. Like Toney he won't be suspended right away I think. He wasn't betting himself but there were irregularities in people signing up that day to bet on the very thing that happened so it depends whether it can be proven that he knew. Xhaka had similar charges and they were dropped. Toney was betting himself and in different circumstances but these look worse if guilty, so you'd expect a larger punishment but it will drag on and on.

Lots of fans are happy because it means that he will probably be forced to stay for another 2-3 years now. No one will want a player during an investigation, or during a ban, or probably just after it. He'll need to prove himself. I think that if he's guilty and he's been purposely giving himself yellows and committing fouls that has a negative impact on the game and the team that's really bad. Like against Bournemouth, he got this yellow after handballing it straight from the keeper, got taken off and we went completely defensive and conceded. If he's guilty of this it has cost us points. 

In other news, another Man Utd player, Anthony has been accused of some awful domestic abuse. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    cruxiform said:
    Good news for us Palace fans as Olise signs a new contract. So fuck you Chelsea.

I read something last night that we (Palace) threatened legal action against Chelsea for tapping Olise up so they backed out of the signing . Well done if so , Chelsea are getting a reputation for this stuff
    At least Abramovich was honest about being a gangster.
    ;)
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Problem of this is ithat it is much up the hierarchy of players betting :
    1 betting on a game yo7 have no involvement or knowledge on
    2. betting on a game where you have some information beforehand E.g about team / injuries etc
    3. betting for your team on a game you are playing in, 
    4. Influencing a game you are playing in
    5 fixing a game 

so if true, that is pretty high up there and a big ban, and a massive loss of value to West Ham in not having him playing due the ban and loss of asset value.  I wonder if WH could Sue an individual player in circumstances like this

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656

Trying to keep him was a gamble but it's paid off
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    axisus said:

Trying to keep him was a gamble but it's paid off
    Yep, it’s was high stakes, but he was odds on to stay…..
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    Sleepy start for Liverpool and we caught them off guard in first minutes - one goal scored and one disallowed. Good comeback by Reds though, even with one man down. 

I'm quite enjoying spurs v utd at the moment - chaotic as hell but it's getting quite spicy...
    Won some good money on Kane scoring and having an assist yesterday too so "go Harry" ;)
    tFB Trader
    Long way to go after 2 games but Spurs look a breath of fresh air compared to recent seasons 

Man U look very mediocre and not particularly well organised with little sign of a team game plan 
    edited August 2023
    Good to see Spurs giving one of those mid-table teams a decent beating.

Too often in the Moanionte years, we'd have gone 1-0 up, and then sat back and ended up losing 1-2.  Keep playing, keep attacking, if you can score once, you can score again.

You can only play what's in front of you, and it's still very early days, but .......
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Very enjoyable performance from Spurs. Sarr, Maddison, Bissouma, Udogie all looked good on the ball.

Must go, got to phone some friends and ask if they know the score. 
    Spurs players looks fitter, sharper, better decisions on the ball and. generally a better side today.  United also were guilty wasting good chances in the 1st half (Fernandes) and then Anthony hitting the post, could have got something from the game on another day but Spurs is looking good.  

It's just sucks my 2 Man U players on my FF team are getting bugger all points.  
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Yup well done spurs. Think kanes departure is a good one psychologically for the team. Rise up etc. Brentford brighton continue to do well, love it.

So my team just about to start vs Man City at home. Ill accept any result as a fan, including a heavy defeat, but if NUFC win, especially in style, that sends a shock not just across the UK prem, but across europe.

Dont worry, be silly.
    Goodbye summer of insanely misplaced optimism and hope. Hello every season for the past decade. Lets go and get drunk my old friend.

Man U looking sh*te again. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    axisus said:
    Goodbye summer of insanely misplaced optimism and hope. Hello every season for the past decade. Lets go and get drunk my old friend.

Absolutely this.

Unless Hojlund is Haaland-esque (spoiler alert - he won't be), it's another season of underwhelming mediocrity, hoping we might get a penalty as our only viable means of scoring.

So dull. So predictable. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    I got rid both of my Man U Players in FF for now....they are not on form...despite being a Man U fan I need to go with my head rather than heart.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    axisus said:

Hey, you've still got Luton.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:
    axisus said:

Hey, you've still got Luton.
    ho ho! I daren't look at Luton's results all season after the first match ....

Actually, on the subject of Luton, it's really weird after all these years not checking out a different league table to see how Luton and their rivals are doing. This is the first season in decades that I haven't been checking out two leagues.