Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Blimey - well played West Ham , I wasn’t expecting that 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    West Ham never get bored of bearing Chelsea :) even when we were in the second divison together,

some seriously skilful play there and some great passion
    some stupid tackles 
    and an awful referee I thought
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    sev112 said:
    West Ham never get bored of bearing Chelsea :) even when we were in the second divison together,

some seriously skilful play there and some great passion
    some stupid tackles 
    and an awful referee I thought
    Yea a great performance. Almost feels like that's how Moyes has wanted us to play this last year and today it finally came together. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Well, when you've spent £800m odd on players, surely you'd expect to beat a team who just sold (arguably) their best player!

Oh, hang on ....
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I bet my car on Lucas Paqueta!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    I was thinking half way through that Antoninshould have gone to Saudi.  Then all of a sudden he sprinted and the speed of that shot, then he switched on all over again. A few mistakes, a bit slow at the back some times, a bit panicky at times, but everyone of that pitch did some really good stuff.

the penalty save still needed to be saved, and the save of the deflection just at the end before the penalty was superb by Areola
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Dogged performance against a one-dimensional Sheffield United team on Friday. Those were the types of games we'd have thrown away last season - and despite being nowhere near our capable best, we still managed to find a way to beat them and their rat of a manager Hickenbottom. Was great to be back at the City Ground. 

Taiwo Awoniyi will get 20+ goals this season if he stays fit. Just an absolute menace. Signing Matt Turner from Arsenal is currently looking like an astute bit of business too as he's been really good for 2 games. 

Oh and Anthony Elanga is one of the fastest human's I've ever seen in real life. Just an absolute joke. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Interested to see who starts at LB tonight vs Palace. Zinchenko, Tierney or even Tomiyasu. Feel sorry for Tierney because he's the only proper left-back at the club we have and he can't even get a place on the bench. Zinny belongs in midfield I reckon, cos he comes inside when we have the ball. He's not so good when defending against tricky wide-men though.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    So Greenwood is finished at Man U. Thank goodness he's going. Talk about wasting your career. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    edited August 2023
    axisus said:
    So Greenwood is finished at Man U. Thank goodness he's going. Talk about wasting your career. 

Deleted 
  • I think its cos he doesn't want what he did to be a distraction to the club. But he'll do well to find another club in the Premier League now.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    axisus said:
    I cant disagree that Greenwood is a wrong un, i was told about all this two months before it came out, it was common knowledge around the club (allegedly) but this trial by social media is all nonsense, who hasn't massively fucked up when they are 19 and done stuff they regret? And he was never actually charged with anything? 
    Yeah but then there's this from the BBC website:

In material published online, a man - alleged to be Greenwood - could be heard shouting at a woman to "move your [expletive] legs up". The woman responded that she did not want sex, and the man replied: "I don't give a [expletive] what you want, you little [expletive]."

The man then says: "Push me again and watch what happens to you."

OK, not 'proven' as him, the case was dropped so we will never know for sure, but the Beeb see fit to post that!

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    axisus said:
    I cant disagree that Greenwood is a wrong un, i was told about all this two months before it came out, it was common knowledge around the club (allegedly) but this trial by social media is all nonsense, who hasn't massively fucked up when they are 19 and done stuff they regret? And he was never actually charged with anything? 
    Just because he was never charged, doesn’t make him innocent. I’ve heard the audio, it’s grim. No woman should be put through that. 
    edited August 2023
    axisus said:
    Mate, come on. I don't know anyone who fucked up like that, and if they did they would've deserved to be locked up. There's a difference between, I dunno, driving your car a bit tipsy as a young man and beating the shit out of your girlfriend and trying to rape her. Dismissing it as just 'young man makes mistake' is exactly the out of date attitude that allowed people to get away with this behaviour for years and left abused women with nowhere to turn. 
    mikeyrob73 said:
    And he was never actually charged with anything? 
    He was charged. He was charged with attempted rape, assault and controlling behaviour.

Also just for clarity, he wasn't cleared of all charges, whatever his statement says. The charges were dropped because the woman decided not to continue with the case after she fell pregnant with his child. That doesn't mean he was cleared. He wasn't. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    joneve said:
    axisus said:
    Just because he was never charged, doesn’t make him innocent. I’ve heard the audio, it’s grim. No woman should be put through that. 
    Was charged mate. Attempted rape, assault and controlling behaviour. 
    edited August 2023

Deleted 
    edited August 2023
    Well it was leaked so we all heard what happened and saw the pictures, so anything else is irrelevant and pie in the sky stuff. The horror of hearing that stuff made it so real. 

If he apologised and tried to actually redeem himself he might have a chance but he's taken the route of full denial and tried to gaslight the world by saying he was cleared of all charges when he wasn't, so this just proves that he has no intention of learning, sucking it up, apologising. So I hope that him and whatever shit hole of a team that signs him gets ripped at every ground until he stops playing. 
    That’s a fair point @TeleMaster ;

reading his statement a few minutes ago there doesn’t seem to be much of an apology there, so I’m deleting my posts 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    edited August 2023
    Should he not be allowed to play football ever again?

Should he be allowed to do any alternative type of work again? If yes, is the 'role model' aspect the difference? And is that right?

What's the appropriate punishment for someone who has had such charges levelled against him, but dropped?

I honestly don't know the answers. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Hattigol said:
    Should he not be allowed to play football ever again?

Should he be allowed to do any alternative type of work again? If yes, is the 'role model' aspect the difference? And is that right?

What's the appropriate punishment for someone who has had such charges levelled against him, but dropped?

I honestly don't know the answers. 
    Well anyone can sign him but good luck with the sponsors and fans etc lol. You do have to consider that it is a family game now, and by all accounts Man Utd are going to settle his contract if he can't find a loan club. He's on £75k a week, still contracted till 2025 so if he's released he's still a millionaire with a fortune of around £8m before tax and then he can bugger off to Europe or even Saudi Arabia. The world is literally his oyster. He may be a pariah but he's young, loaded and there will be plenty of clubs around Europe where he can play. 
    TeleMaster said:

he can bugger off to Europe or even Saudi Arabia
    Saudi is the obvious option.  Unlikely to cause the same outrage there.
  • axisus said:
    axisus said:
    Yeah but then there's this from the BBC website:

In material published online, a man - alleged to be Greenwood - could be heard shouting at a woman to "move your [expletive] legs up". The woman responded that she did not want sex, and the man replied: "I don't give a [expletive] what you want, you little [expletive]."

The man then says: "Push me again and watch what happens to you."

OK, not 'proven' as him, the case was dropped so we will never know for sure, but the Beeb see fit to post that!

She yelled out Mason in that audio recording.  Unless another guy named Mason was attempting to rape her I'd say it's 99.99999% him. 
    edited August 2023
    TTony said:
    TeleMaster said:

he can bugger off to Europe or even Saudi Arabia
    Saudi is the obvious option.  Unlikely to cause the same outrage there.
    I doubt this would've got much overage in Italy, Turkey etc. There's lots of places he could go to rebuild his footballing career. He'll fit in in Saudi with the likes of Ronaldo and Benzema. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Anyway, back at the football. 

Have Arsenal got any mileage trying to appeal the Tomiyasu red card?  It seems it was Havertz who wasted the time at the throw-in, then left the ball for Tomiyasu, who then got his first yellow for time-wasting!

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Nitefly said:

Have Arsenal got any mileage trying to appeal the Tomiyasu red card?  It seems it was Havertz who wasted the time at the throw-in, then left the ball for Tomiyasu, who then got his first yellow for time-wasting!

Pretty sure you can't appeal a yellow so a red made up of two yellows is unappealable.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Nitefly said:

I’m biased as a palace fan but for 5 minutes up to that point arsenal had been slowing the game down and wasting time . Goal kicks and throw ins were being delayed and players staying down to stop Palace getting any momentum. That’s an Arteta thing and it wouldn’t surprise me if the throw in routine that led to the yellow was part of a deliberate tactic much like rotational fouling where it’s time wasting spread across multiple players to avoid a booking . The team got what it deserved at that point although the second yellow for the breakaway foul on Ayew was very harsh - Ayew bought that 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:
    Nitefly said:

Pretty sure you can't appeal a yellow so a red made up of two yellows is unappealable.
    Correct - Can't appeal on the 2nd yellow

This will happen again and again and overall it deserves to - Why could Havertz not take it before - It was essential a yellow card for the team - The one that annoys me is the defensive free kick outside your own penalty box - The CB lines it all up, then walks away as the goalie walks 20/30 yards, moves the ball 12" before he wants to take it 

I actually thought the 2nd yellow was for Tomiyasu kicking the ball away after the free kick for the 'shirt pull' was awarded
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Hattigol said:
    Nitefly said:

Correct - Can't appeal on the 2nd yellow

This will happen again and again and overall it deserves to - Why could Havertz not take it before - It was essential a yellow card for the team - The one that annoys me is the defensive free kick outside your own penalty box - The CB lines it all up, then walks away as the goalie walks 20/30 yards, moves the ball 12" before he wants to take it 

I actually thought the 2nd yellow was for Tomiyasu kicking the ball away after the free kick for the 'shirt pull' was awarded
    He didnt kick the ball away.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    He thought about it.
    TTony said:
    He thought about it.
    Minority Report style refereeing. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter