Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    mrkb said:
    Hattigol said:
    Nitefly said:
    Anyway, back at the football. 

Have Arsenal got any mileage trying to appeal the Tomiyasu red card?  It seems it was Havertz who wasted the time at the throw-in, then left the ball for Tomiyasu, who then got his first yellow for time-wasting!

Pretty sure you can't appeal a yellow so a red made up of two yellows is unappealable.
    Correct - Can't appeal on the 2nd yellow

This will happen again and again and overall it deserves to - Why could Havertz not take it before - It was essential a yellow card for the team - The one that annoys me is the defensive free kick outside your own penalty box - The CB lines it all up, then walks away as the goalie walks 20/30 yards, moves the ball 12" before he wants to take it 

I actually thought the 2nd yellow was for Tomiyasu kicking the ball away after the free kick for the 'shirt pull' was awarded
    He didnt kick the ball away.
    Sorry if I was wrong - I thought he did, just as the camera shot panned away - Maybe as Tony said he thought about it - But agree you can't be booked for thinking about it ( can you) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    mrkb said:
    Hattigol said:
    Nitefly said:

Have Arsenal got any mileage trying to appeal the Tomiyasu red card?  It seems it was Havertz who wasted the time at the throw-in, then left the ball for Tomiyasu, who then got his first yellow for time-wasting!

Pretty sure you can't appeal a yellow so a red made up of two yellows is unappealable.

This will happen again and again and overall it deserves to - Why could Havertz not take it before - It was essential a yellow card for the team - The one that annoys me is the defensive free kick outside your own penalty box - The CB lines it all up, then walks away as the goalie walks 20/30 yards, moves the ball 12" before he wants to take it 

I actually thought the 2nd yellow was for Tomiyasu kicking the ball away after the free kick for the 'shirt pull' was awarded
    Sorry if I was wrong - I thought he did, just as the camera shot panned away - Maybe as Tony said he thought about it - But agree you can't be booked for thinking about it ( can you) 
    2mins into this video - he was no where near the ball

Odegaard spot on as 10-player Arsenal see off Palace | Crystal Palace 0-1 Arsenal | EPL highlights - YouTube

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    mrkb said:
    mrkb said:
    Hattigol said:
    Nitefly said:

2mins into this video - he was no where near the ball

Odegaard spot on as 10-player Arsenal see off Palace | Crystal Palace 0-1 Arsenal | EPL highlights - YouTube

Glad I watched it - I was right - Someone kicked the ball away - Yellow card - Just wasn't Tomiyasu, so sorry I got the wrong player, but the right 'issue'  - Ref probably tied up with other 'issue' and distracted - But the CB could well have had a yellow card for stupidly kicking the ball away 

I think the 2nd yellow was harsh - barely a free kick let alone a yellow - But no issue with 'the team' time wasting over the throw in - As I said earlier, Tomiyasu took one for the team there 

I'm sure it won't be the last time this season whereby the 2nd yellow card will be petty, but the 1st yellow card will be for stupidity - They no the directive about time wasting and kicking the ball away so don't do it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    So the initial time-waster (Havertz) gets away with it... not sure I'd be too happy if I was Tomiyasu!

tFB Trader
    Nitefly said:
    So the initial time-waster (Havertz) gets away with it... not sure I'd be too happy if I was Tomiyasu!

Agree - But how about 4/5/6 different players walk up to take the throw in, one by one, then 5 seconds later walk away and leave it to the next man - No one player guilty, but the team has wasted time and slowed the game down  - As I said earlier, Tomiyasu had to take one for the team in that situation 

Again as I mentioned before, how many times do we see a CB place the ball for a free kick, what maybe 5/10 yards out of the penalty zone - Then walk away, to allow the keeper to take it , but they want to replace the ball first, albeit 12" away - Frustrating and time wasting 

I have no issues with what the officials are trying to do with deliberate time wasting 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656

I have no issues with what the officials are trying to do with deliberate time wasting 
    I have to admit that I have always thought of time wasting as kind of part of the game. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    axisus said:

I have to admit that I have always thought of time wasting as kind of part of the game. 
    Not the most entertaining part of the game.

Though perhaps that depends on who you typically watch.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    axisus said:

I'm the total opposite, it's totally not part of the game as the game can't continue while it's happening.  Taking the ball to the corner, keeper not picking up the ball at his feet until the opposite run over yes, taking 60 seconds for a throw-in no.  
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    axisus said:

Look back on the greatest moments in football - Club or country - Whichever team it maybe - Great crunching tackles - Great saves - Great dribbles and beating your man - Great shots from outside the box - Team goals - Individual goals - Comedy of errors - Vieira and Keane squaring off and that glare, or indeed other 'competitive' moments - Whatever any great moments  that there might be, I don't see time wasting in any of those magic moments - It is off course different when the ball is in play and they are going through. 'the game management' process as in reality the ball is in play and the ref can't do anything about it 

Throw ins - Would be interesting to see the netball approach - Once you have the ball at the touch line, in the appropriate place, you have 3 seconds to get it back in play, otherwise you loose the ball 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    TTony said:
    axisus said:

Look back on the greatest moments in football - Club or country - Whichever team it maybe - Great crunching tackles - Great saves - Great dribbles and beating your man - Great shots from outside the box - Team goals - Individual goals - Comedy of errors - Vieira and Keane squaring off and that glare, or indeed other 'competitive' moments - Whatever any great moments  that there might be, I don't see time wasting in any of those magic moments - It is off course different when the ball is in play and they are going through. 'the game management' process as in reality the ball is in play and the ref can't do anything about it 

Throw ins - Would be interesting to see the netball approach - Once you have the ball at the touch line, in the appropriate place, you have 3 seconds to get it back in play, otherwise you loose the ball 
    I didn't word my reply very well, I was thinking of playing the ball into the corner rather than someone arseing about taking a throw in. Your 'great moments' are fine, but that has nothing to do with the fact that it is useful to keep hold of the ball by the corner flag! Not every team plays beautiful flowing football, but they all play football.

I rather like the netball idea though, although 3 seconds is a bit short!
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:j
    TTony said:
    axisus said:

I didn't word my reply very well, I was thinking of playing the ball into the corner rather than someone arseing about taking a throw in. Your 'great moments' are fine, but that has nothing to do with the fact that it is useful to keep hold of the ball by the corner flag! Not every team plays beautiful flowing football, but they all play football.

I rather like the netball idea though, although 3 seconds is a bit short!
    Okay I see what you mean - think that is considered game management- difference is the ball is actually in play just that the opposing player can’t really get it - like a goal keeper not picking up the ball until a striker goes to him - frustrating all the same - A restart not actually taken place yet is more of a delaying tactic that the ref can get involved with
  • Really harsh for Tomiyasu to get the 2 yellows. As mentioned before Havertz held the ball for longer before the throw-in took place then before that Saliba and Ramsdale I think took a long time too.

The 'foul' on Ayew wasn't a yellow either. Hardly touched him. Now we have another defender unavailable.

But we dug in and got the win, the subs brought on were all defensive minded to see out the game and it worked well as we squeezed the space in the middle so they had to go wide or resort to long range shots.
  • When we had Ben Foster in goal at West Brom he was the absolute master of time wasting, he'd often turn his back to the ref whilst fetching the ball for a goal kick and would tell the ball boys to stay where they were, he'd sometimes bounce the ball and drop it or bounce it off his toe "by accident" to stall a bit further

It was quite amusing, and was indeed more entertaining than the Pulis-ball we would have been watching instead were the ball in play. However not really in the spirit of the game and i'd very much differentiate between that (time wasting) and keeping the ball in the corner (managing the game).

I notice Ben Foster has retired this week actually, perhaps it's in response to the new time wasting rules
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Doesn’t really matter if you take him lightly or take him heavy, he was starting a counter attack and the foul stopped that.  Yellow perfectly fine there, wish more would give them
  • Hardly any contact to warrant a foul though.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited August 2023
    Hardly any contact to warrant a foul though.
    This wasnt even a foul at Palace a few years ago!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited August 2023
    https://twitter.com/WestHam_Central/status/1694118700624785680
    The first two seem pretty innocuous to me, the third one coild be suspicious. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Shouldn't a yellow. Give the ball to the other team instead.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Yes we've mentioned that idea whilst at matches at west brom actually, time wasting on a throw or free kick etc could be given to the opposition, if it's a goal kick or free kick in the area then i guess they'd have to come up with something (indirect free kick outside the box on nearest edge? drop ball somewhere?

Treat it like a foul throw (not that they EVER seem to give foul throws but that's by the by)
    Originally it was given to whichever player got to the ball first regardless of who kicked it out, maybe that would liven things up a bit?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobb said:
    Originally it was given to whichever player got to the ball first regardless of who kicked it out, maybe that would liven things up a bit?
    Haha that would be amazing. Can they allow "Changes" to be shouted when a corner comes across to allow a team to change the goalkeeper to whoever is best placed to punch it out? A la Suarez against Ghana
    It was always 'Rush goalie' when I was a kid. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Goalie when needed
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I think it is harsh to give the yellow to Tomiyashu for time wasting when there were two other players who also held the ball.  The only fair thing would be give all 3 players a yellow since they were all part of it.  It’s not like you can give the team a yellow card.
    tFB Trader
    blobb said:
    It was always 'Rush goalie' when I was a kid. 
    and jumpers for goal posts - plus put the small kid in the 'imaginary goals' then claim any shot must be over the bar 
    tFB Trader
    I think it is harsh to give the yellow to Tomiyashu for time wasting when there were two other players who also held the ball.  The only fair thing would be give all 3 players a yellow since they were all part of it.  It’s not like you can give the team a yellow card.
    I agree - But teams need to be aware of such scenarios and not repeat it - Otherwise imagine 2/3/4 players each taking turns and say 5 seconds to hold the ball, yet it is still not in play - Sooner or later the ref will be  quite rightly pee'd off at the team wasting time 
    Or give it to the manager. Do it twice he's in the stands.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    It might be harsh....but I bet they don't do it again next game.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Hattigol said:
    It might be harsh....but I bet they don't do it again next game.
    Tomiyasu certainly won’t.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    Not looking good for Everton's on going financial issues - MSP Capital pull out of a potential financial investment - They are still going to make a huge investment into the new stadium, but no longer investing within the club itself - Everton looking at other options, so I dare say time will tell