Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• Boromedic said:
    It's our usual pattern unfortunately, start the season under last season's promising replacement after threatening the playoffs.... fall apart in the first few games, pick it up once we sack the guy and get a new manager, hahaha. It's great being a Boro fan, honestly ;)
    I know the feeling. Think Boro fans tend to have a similar outlook to our fans to be honest. Your guys weren't really any better or worse than us overall really, I think difference for us was Phillips who always plays well until the clocks go back and then gets injured until the spring. John Swift woke up for his usual five minutes per game to score though which was a nice surprise, he's normally on another planet entirely.

Interesting to see Morgan Rodgers back as well - Man City poached him from our academy but in their defence they are the only team who has done that and actually paid us for the player (£4m, if I remember right, which was crazy in honesty). Most teams just take our youth players and never have to pay us anything (Villa, Palace, Chelsea etc) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    TTony said:

Next up, Luton! 
    You know that Luton are going to win one game, sooner or later, right?

:D
    If it's away to us I'll be pissed. I play a lot of Football Manager and the most annoying thing in the game is IT'S HIS FIRST EVER GOAL FOR THE CLUB. They've always been there for months, they've played every game and it's me they score against. So if we give them their first win, a load of their players their first premier league goals I will be pissed.

It'll be interesting how we play. We're kind of going for a Real Madrid style of play this year. Soak up all the pressure and counter attack with super fast players. We've just signed Konstantinos Mavropanos who is a fast, strong defender, and Kudos is coming who is a fast winger which is an amazing coup, so it looks like this will continue. But against Luton we should be looking to control the game from the off. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    WH showing what confidence does for you.  The Friday After School Club cup has done us a wonder of good and hopefully will be a springboard for a great season
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    sev112 said:
    WH showing what confidence does for you.  The Friday After School Club cup has done us a wonder of good and hopefully will be a springboard for a great season
    It's always nice to win the Londis Euro Trophy. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Wolves score two matches in a row, home then away. it may not be pretty but I'll take it. Really pleased for Sasa, he's such a nice bloke. Everton fans, you'll be ok.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    No mention of the absolute softest penalty ever given to United today? Forest deserved a point from that game. Bit gutted but encouraging we’ve done arguably two of the hardest away days already this season and had a chance to take points in both is some step up from last season. 

Took Forest until 21st Jan to muster 3 away goals last season. We have 3 on 26th August this season. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    and Casemiro was offside. I know technically he wasn't, but he was.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    joneve said:
    No mention of the absolute softest penalty ever given to United today? Forest deserved a point from that game. Bit gutted but encouraging we’ve done arguably two of the hardest away days already this season and had a chance to take points in both is some step up from last season. 

Took Forest until 21st Jan to muster 3 away goals last season. We have 3 on 26th August this season. 
    Man U fan and I thought it was a soft penalty. Superbly taken though, impossible to save one like that.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    axisus said:
    joneve said:

Man U fan and I thought it was a soft penalty. Superbly taken though, impossible to save one like that.

Agree with that. Turner guessed the right way and still couldn’t get to it (and he’s a superb penalty saver by all accounts) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

It was a soft penalty but can see why it was given.  

Forest deserved a point at least though.

From a Man U perspective looks like we are trying to beat the 0-7 against Liverpool last year.
    Absolute shambles at the moment.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    CHRISB50 said:
    After watching the match last night, I think it’s gonna be a long season for Luton. 
    They better get more than 11 points - I want that record to stay with my local sheep shaggers
    Who are the Sheep Shaggers?
    Everton seen intent on playing in the Championship next season. Zero points and zero goals after three games played. And lucky to be at zero points the way they are playing....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    After watching the match last night, I think it’s gonna be a long season for Luton. 
    They better get more than 11 points - I want that record to stay with my local sheep shaggers
    Everton seen intent on playing in the Championship next season. Zero points and zero goals after three games played. And lucky to be at zero points the way they are playing....
    Derby? 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    Absolutely mad game in Newcastle. They've lost what I thought is almost a won game. 
    Great instinct by Klopp to attack with 13mins left, I'm glad for Darwin too as he may finally wake up...

Interesting game at Sheffield earlier on too, but City is simply too good.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Derby - The Rams
    tFB Trader
    I've seen more blatant red cards not given, compared to  VVD's yesterday - But why does Klopp have to moan so much about it - Ditto VVD, whilst still on the pitch - Give him an extra game ban for vile abuse towards the ref

But the game itself, you could see an LFC win on the horizon - NUFC at times played great football - Probably better when LFC had 11 men on the pitch - But not as ruthless in the penalty box - A few wrong decisions leading up to a potential shot/chance - Newcastle a touch to naive 
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Spurs fans - They look far more fluid and as though they've been let off the leash - But there is only one day in the whole of the season when you get really happy about sitting at the top of the league and that is normally a day in May
    I'm really not bothered about "top of the table" right now, (and now its WHU anyway!) and fully expect us to finish outside the top4 come May.

What I am bothered about is Spurs playing decent football again.  The Mourinho/Conte seasons were dire.  Postecoglu has turned all that around in just a few weeks.  It's a hugely positive and encouraging start.

I would, or will, be happier when we get a reliable goalscorer in place.  That might be Son.  It might even be Richarlison with some confidence.  I doubt it'll be Scarlett, but it's an outside chance.  Or maybe we'll just carry with everyone scoring goals rather than relying on a main striker ...

They are certainly getting the best out of Madison in that 'free role' and it should suit Son as well - Just need a striker - I'd say Madison has taken over Mount for now in an England shirt - But would like to see Foden in that more central area - He is getting that chance now for Citeh, now that KDB is injured - Either way  Grealish Maddison/Foden  Sako behind Kane looks a strong option
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Klopp has the worst persecution complex I've come across in professional sport. Everything that goes against him is the fault of someone not doing their job and plotting against him.

He's a graceless loser and sees faults in other teans that he doesn't seem to recognise in his own. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited August 2023
    scrumhalf said:
    Klopp has the worst persecution complex I've come across in professional sport. Everything that goes against him is the fault of someone not doing their job and plotting against him.

He's a graceless loser and sees faults in other teans that he doesn't seem to recognise in his own. 
    I think he has got worse over the last few years.  I recall before Liverpool won the league they were better at interviews and admit shortcomings where it's due when they lose the odd game.  But last couple of years he seems to double down the blame more as they lost more matches.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    How the hell does Jordan Henderson get in the England squad and James Ward Prowse doesn't.  I think Sterling should be in too.
    tFB Trader
    munckee said:
    How the hell does Jordan Henderson get in the England squad and James Ward Prowse doesn't.  I think Sterling should be in too.
    I agree - I'm also amazed Phillips has made it as well - I'm a KP fan, but when you don't play at all then hard to justify a slot for England - As it happens I think Sterling has been over ratted for far to long - He has his moments - But Grealish, Foden, Saga are better option plus Maddison has to be a strong contender and of course Rashford - All IMO would get game time over him

Agree that James Ward Prowse deserves a slot

The only defence to Jordan, Harry and Kalvin is that they have not let England down in recent matches
    tFB Trader
    PSG, Borussia Dortmund, AC Milan, Newcastle

What a group - You pick 2 from that CL qualifying group - Some big matches for the Geordie boys to enjoy and I'm sure they will
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    PSG, Borussia Dortmund, AC Milan, Newcastle

What a group - You pick 2 from that CL qualifying group - Some big matches for the Geordie boys to enjoy and I'm sure they will
    You'd think both the Mancs and Arsenal should get through, can't see Newcastle making it though.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    scrumhalf said:

I think he has got worse over the last few years.  I recall before Liverpool won the league they were better at interviews and admit shortcomings where it's due when they lose the odd game.  But last couple of years he seems to double down the blame more as they lost more matches.
    It's since he stopped wearing glasses and got new teeth.  He seems to think people will regard him as cool and dashing, and won't take any notice when he's being a cunt.  He's wrong on all counts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    munckee said:
    And Bowen. He's on fire. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    munckee said:
    And Bowen. He's on fire. 
    …And he’s shagging Dani Dyer. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• CHRISB50 said:
    munckee said:
    And Bowen. He's on fire. 
    …And he’s shagging Dani Dyer. 
    This is the alleged arrangement. 
    edited September 2023
    I had to Google who Dani Dyer is…not the child of Dani Alves and Kieron Dyer. Lol
    I had to Google who Dani Dyer is…not the child of Dani Alves and Kieron Dyer. Lol
    She is the daughter of right royal cockney barrel of monkeys, Danny Dyer...

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

I still don't know who he is.
    I still don't know who he is.
    You’re not missing out on anything :lol: