Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TTony said:
    Lestratcaster said:

Havertz belongs further up the attacking line 
    But he'll miss more up there ....
    ;)
    Haha couldn't believe that mis-kick yesterday. Just put him on the bench instead, he's taking the place of someone who can play in midfield better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I would love it if they play Havertz over Jesus up front.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I would love it if they play Havertz over Jesus up front.
    He probably will in the next game, or at left back!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Spurs are winning this transfer window.

Previous contender for #1 - James Maddison for £30m (net).
    New entry, straight in at undisputed #1 slot - Ndombelazygit is off to Galatasary.

Unfortunately it's only a loan, but at least he'll be out of sight, out of mind for another season.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Had a lovely trip to Newport in the Carabou cup last week.  A fantastic reminder of how far Brentford have come in such a relatively short space of time.     Ground no.126 for me.  Friendly locals, cheap beer and a huge fry up in the hotel the following morning.  

I love away days.  

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @TTony we can celebrate, both Sanchez and NDombele are out the door.. I had forgotten just how expensive the former was...  two club record signings... neither lit the club up.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Sanchez cost more than Maddison...
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    RobDavies said:
    Had a lovely trip to Newport in the Carabou cup last week.  A fantastic reminder of how far Brentford have come in such a relatively short space of time.     Ground no.126 for me.  Friendly locals, cheap beer and a huge fry up in the hotel the following morning.  

I love away days.  

Wow - That is some going - 126 grounds - I'll be in to double digits, but nothing like that 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    we can celebrate, both Sanchez and NDombele are out the door.. I had forgotten just how expensive the former was...  two club record signings... neither lit the club up.
    I always felt that there was a good defender somewhere in Sanchez.

Yes, he made mistakes and was inconsistent, but then he never seemed to have a decent run of games (and CB partners) in which he could establish himself, build his confidence and settle into the team.  

I’d have kept him rather than Dier as I think Sanchez under-achieved (so there was potential for the manager to tease out) whereas Dier on a good day was over-achieving and likely to revert to his natural level sooner or later.

But, yes, we don’t spend money well.  I fear Richarlison will be added to that list.  He’s got 5-10 games left to find his scoring boots … I can see him going in January.
    edited September 2023
    TTony said:
    we can celebrate, both Sanchez and NDombele are out the door.. I had forgotten just how expensive the former was...  two club record signings... neither lit the club up.

Yes, he made mistakes and was inconsistent, but then he never seemed to have a decent run of games (and CB partners) in which he could establish himself, build his confidence and settle into the team.  

I’d have kept him rather than Dier as I think Sanchez under-achieved (so there was potential for the manager to tease out) whereas Dier on a good day was over-achieving and likely to revert to his natural level sooner or later.

But, yes, we don’t spend money well.  I fear Richarlison will be added to that list.  He’s got 5-10 games left to find his scoring boots … I can see him going in January.
    I think Richarlison will only have 1 more shot, either if Son stops scoring or is injured.  He is unlikely to be rotated out since Spurs are not in Europe and the FA Cup doesn't start until the new year.

With Brendan Johnson in the team now, who can play in the same position as well...Richarlison seems to be a surplus.

There is a very good player in there, Ancelotti said he could win the Ballon d'Or when he coached him, he is Brazil's No.9, so arguably there is no bigger pressure than that role in the world.  
  • TTony said:

Sanchez had 200 plus games..  he lacked quality and consistency.. I'd say he most definitely had his chance...

I hear you about Richarlison.. and our purchasing in general.. some real money wasted over the years...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Sanchez was one of those defenders who played well if paired with a solid, reliable centre-back partner.

Michael Dawson playing alongside Ledley King was such a player. If he was the senior centre-back he was nowhere near as good.

As for N'Donkey, the kick he needed up his arse would be enough to break his spine. So much talent, so little effort and application. 
  • Ndombele's only a loan it seems. 

A question for Man U fans: what's the feeling about Ten Hag? The criticism seems to be fairly well aimed at The Glazers, but is Ten Hag good enough or is he just another overrated foreign coach?
  • Ndombele's only a loan it seems. 

Compulsory purchase based on performance.. (so yeah probably be coming back like a boomerang)

Lloris is funny one, not sure what he expects at his age.. turned down a number of options... if he's not gonna be listed in the Squad, cancel his contract now..
    My trading feedback

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    TTony said:

I think Richarlison will only have 1 more shot, either if Son stops scoring or is injured.  He is unlikely to be rotated out since Spurs are not in Europe and the FA Cup doesn't start until the new year.

With Brendan Johnson in the team now, who can play in the same position as well...Richarlison seems to be a surplus.

There is a very good player in there, Ancelotti said he could win the Ballon d'Or when he coached him, he is Brazil's No.9, so arguably there is no bigger pressure than that role in the world.  
    *Brennan. Don't disrespect the Star Boy like that. :)
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66714875

This guy... Just own it you melt. You went for the money, stop this bollocks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66714875

When i read that earlier I mumbled out loud...."Hurt? Your feelings? I bet all those zeros helped quite a bit."

Completely agree.  Just STFU and keep on counting your money.  It’ll keep you busy longer than counting your principles.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66714875

As a Liverpool fan of 40 years and a *big fan of Henderson as person I couldn't agree with you more.

*Previously 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I think we all have the same reaction to Henderson.  I don't know why he's spoken out, he's said nothing at all which justifies the choice he's made.  And the comment about not wanting to offend his hosts' religious sensibilities... Just shut up, Jordan.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Jordan is coming off as a tool. A rich tool. I'd settle for that.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66714875

Classic case of someone wanting to support a cause, but not understanding that to do that properly you might have to turn down opportunities that don't agree with your cause.

To be pro LGTBQ+ more or less makes you anti religion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    axisus said:
    You'd settle for that yourself, or for him?
    Philly_Q said:
    axisus said:
    You'd settle for that yourself, or for him?
    I don't give a rats arse about Jordan, but I will happily betray my ideals for anything over £100.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    On a serious note, call me naive but I genuinely can't understand footballers and their never-ending greed for money. 

I know there's the old "short career, long time retired" argument, but that's a throwback to the days when footballers retired on £100 a week and became builders or pub landlords.  A top player today can not only make all the money they'll ever need in that "short career", but someone like Henderson, in particular, has decades ahead of him as a well-paid coach or pundit.

And those situations where a top player falls out of favour at their club, but we're told the club can't sell him, although there's interest, because "no one can afford his wages".  Well if he wants to play, why the fuck can't he take a pay cut?  From "stratospherically well-paid" to "extraordinarily well-paid"?  I honestly don't get it.

I do realise that we have to factor in greedy agents so it's not just the players, but even so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisus said:

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:
    On a serious note, call me naive but I genuinely can't understand footballers and their never-ending greed for money. 

I know there's the old "short career, long time retired" argument, but that's a throwback to the days when footballers retired on £100 a week and became builders or pub landlords.  A top player today can not only make all the money they'll ever need in that "short career", but someone like Henderson, in particular, has decades ahead of him as a well-paid coach or pundit.

And those situations where a top player falls out of favour at their club, but we're told the club can't sell him, although there's interest, because "no one can afford his wages".  Well if he wants to play, why the fuck can't he take a pay cut?  From "stratospherically well-paid" to "extraordinarily well-paid"?  I honestly don't get it.

I do realise that we have to factor in greedy agents so it's not just the players, but even so.
    100% my thoughts! It really winds me up when pundits come out with that 'short career' bollocks these days. To be honest I admired Beckham, who I believe gave away ALL his PSG wages to a local charity. THAT's what footballers should be about these days!
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Philly_Q said:

Yea, this is 100% valid and much of the views I have 

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    axisus said:
    Philly_Q said:

100% my thoughts! It really winds me up when pundits come out with that 'short career' bollocks these days. To be honest I admired Beckham, who I believe gave away ALL his PSG wages to a local charity. THAT's what footballers should be about these days!
    I admire Richarlison for similar; donates a percentage of his salary to a kids charity in Brazil. An absolute top fella he is.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    Philly_Q said:

It's all relative, and all based on your own individual perspective, experience and expectations.

Henderson may well look at Ronaldo (or whoever) and think that Ronaldo is paid a ridiculous amount of money.
    We look at Henderson (and the other top earning footballers) and think that they're paid a ridiculous amount of money.
    We might also look at FTSE-100 CEOs and think that they earn a ridiculous amount of money.
    Most of the people in small boats crossing the channel would look at us and think that we earn a ridiculous amount of money.

Footballers are just taking whatever they can get from their employers for doing their job, same as we do, same as most people do.

Their - and our - lifestyles soon grow into (and often beyond) our income to the point that we think that we couldn't possibly survive on any less.  Whereas those people in the boats clearly have survived on a lot less, albeit with very different lifestyles.