Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkb said:
    Arsenals transfer window was a bit barmy if you ask me. £70m for Havertz is mind-blowing and the Raya loan move was a strange one. Ramsdale had a great season last year, he was a bit shaky at times but he still has improvements he can make, and Raya just doesn't look like a massive improvement to me. So Arteta has potentially upset his squad, doesn't know who his first choice keeper is, and hasn't really made an upgrade there.

I think West Ham did it well the last few seasons. Fabianski was a great keeper for us but he was getting on a bit, so we signed a young keeper and gave him all the cup games. We went far in a few cups, played well in the league and both keepers got regular game time until Areola proved he wasn't going to make a tit of it, wasn't going to udderly screw it up, and they've kind of swapped roles and everyone appears happy.
    Ok mate, don’t milk it……

Sorry, did I make a boob? I don't want to cheese anyone off.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    Nipples!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Arsenals transfer window was a bit barmy if you ask me. £70m for Havertz is mind-blowing and the Raya loan move was a strange one. Ramsdale had a great season last year, he was a bit shaky at times but he still has improvements he can make, and Raya just doesn't look like a massive improvement to me. So Arteta has potentially upset his squad, doesn't know who his first choice keeper is, and hasn't really made an upgrade there.

I think West Ham did it well the last few seasons. Fabianski was a great keeper for us but he was getting on a bit, so we signed a young keeper and gave him all the cup games. We went far in a few cups, played well in the league and both keepers got regular game time until Areola proved he wasn't going to make a tit of it, wasn't going to udderly screw it up, and they've kind of swapped roles and everyone appears happy.
    Thought it was £65m lol but for that money to not play him in the right position is really stupid. Cos we spent all the money Arteta is forced to play him rather than keep him on the bench.

With the Raya signing I believe he's the keeper we wanted before we signed Ramsdale but he wasn't available, I think our goalkeeper coach used to be at Brentford so he played a role in bringing him here. He's alot calmer than Ramsdale, commands his box well and made some good saves yesterday. His distribution is pretty good too and he will come out his box to "sweep keep" so to speak. I actually did think we'd start Ramsdale yesterday though. He should play on Wednesday though as I don't think Raya can play against his parent club.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Not sure when the next Oscar's are but Morgan Gibbs White surely has to be in with a chance of best actor - Granted Rodri did not need to put his hand around his throat - But the acting after was far to OTT - I know the appropriate authorities won't do anything, but as Rodri is now on for a 3 match ban, then IMO Gibbs White should join him
    Reaction was a bit of an embarrassment (and I say that as a Forest fan), but no guarantee they even look at it if he doesn't react - so I get why he did it. Unfortunate state of the game. Suggesting he should be banned for 3 games is quite ridiculous :D 
  • I watched the Arsenal v Spurs game yesterday.
    I did wonder if that Spurs player might of had a bet or was working for a Asian betting syndicate  =)
  • Arsenals transfer window was a bit barmy if you ask me. £70m for Havertz is mind-blowing and the Raya loan move was a strange one. Ramsdale had a great season last year, he was a bit shaky at times but he still has improvements he can make, and Raya just doesn't look like a massive improvement to me. So Arteta has potentially upset his squad, doesn't know who his first choice keeper is, and hasn't really made an upgrade there.

Thought it was £65m lol but for that money to not play him in the right position is really stupid. Cos we spent all the money Arteta is forced to play him rather than keep him on the bench.

With the Raya signing I believe he's the keeper we wanted before we signed Ramsdale but he wasn't available, I think our goalkeeper coach used to be at Brentford so he played a role in bringing him here. He's alot calmer than Ramsdale, commands his box well and made some good saves yesterday. His distribution is pretty good too and he will come out his box to "sweep keep" so to speak. I actually did think we'd start Ramsdale yesterday though. He should play on Wednesday though as I don't think Raya can play against his parent club.
    I'm rounding up ;)

I dunno, if I were Ramsdale after last season I'd be pissed. 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Ok, know its only SUFC, but thought NUFC showed a lot of last seasons sparkle yesterday. 8 different scorers, think gordon is now showing his price tags worth this season, bruno back to normal etc.

For an away game and looking at the other prem clubs results against them, cant argue with the result.
    It does seem however, that we need early momentum in games, first goal in games to properly get going confidence wise, but when we do its seriously impressive football and the floodgates seem to open wide. (See villa first game and spurs last season). 

Some tough fixtures in first few games of premiership and wasnt overly impressed at all with our debut in champs league last week (we should have lost that by 2-3 goals at least), but pope showed what a great keeper he is for any prem club.

Thought howe started it right on sunday, wilson start, bench some big boys and see where we go. Clever management. Isak and tonali will have gone home with food for thought in terms of getting a start.

When you have played 6 and lost to Man C, Liverpool (hard to stomach), brighton who are just excellent, cant really argue with the start, especially being above Man U who have had easier clubs to contend with and not a thrashing win in sight.

Still think we are top 6-8, not top 4 this season and will get a general dribbing in CL, but at same time, not really worried about any london clubs, or Man U in premiership. That said, we do have a good run of fixtures now in prem so hopefully biff us up the table a bit.

Howay the lads :)
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Duncan Ferguson ending at my team ICTFC

didnt see that one coming 
  • Relieved to see Rice, Saliba and Saka fit to start to start vs Bournemouth. Trossard back on bench too. Nelson should have started though I feel. Raya back in goal...seems like Ramsdale might just the cup Keeper.

The boss still persisting with Havertz in midfield which I do not like.
  • I was waiting for Havertz to miss the pen but I guess even he wasn't going to pass on such opportunity from us. Poor poor form from Cherries...
  • Glad for him to get his first goal but this doesn't mean I approve of his position in the team haha.

Saka should have come off earlier, I think when he was taken off it was cos he got a knock. Nice one Wolves too, 1 point behind City now.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Not the best performance from NUFC today, but 3 points we will take, especially with..
    Manure, Shitty, and Neverton all losing against the odds.
    Liverpool look better than last season so hope they give spurs a well deserved drubbing.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    Not a good time to play spurs
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    DesVegas said:
    Not a good time to play spurs
    You mean, this season?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    My ambitions for the season haven’t changed.

A decent cup run would be nice, but mainly I want to see Spurs playing proper football again.

Looking hopeful for the second part of that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Two red cards and a last-minute own goal winner. Klopp may actually explode with indignation in his interviews.

Goes some small way towards making up for the decades of dodgy decisions we've endured at Anfield. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    A win is a win but Spurs didn’t deserve that 
    they were pretty clueless against 9 men
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Nice to see PGMOL apologise for an error 

looks like we need a panel to check var and how accurate their decisions and policies are

if they can’t analyse correctly then don’t do it all - their job is not to create errors - their job is to correct errors made on the pitch - Not exactly hard to watch, multiple times, a video screen and come up with the correct answer- 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2863
    edited September 2023
    Klopp showed remarkable restraint in his post match conference, given the outrageously incompetent officiating. Unbelievably bad. Proud of the second half performance, Spurs couldn't find a way to break us down till only the very end. 
  • That game was ridiculous. The ref is a Spurs fan, the VAR guy apparently went for a piss at that point. What is going on? 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    What does it mean by "VAR failed to intervene"?

VAR took time off to make a cuppa? If they didn't intervene it means they thought it was correct at the time, and if they thought that was correct at the time then there would be a line....and there wouldn't be this apology.

So...went to make tea or went for a poo?

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023

VAR took time off to make a cuppa? If they didn't intervene it means they thought it was correct at the time, and if they thought that was correct at the time then there would be a line....and there wouldn't be this apology.

There was a rumour that the guy went to the toilet but I think it's just bullshit. 

In these 'serious error' cases where it was obvious the tide turned against the affected team, maybe a rematch should occur. How can they just let the result stand? 
  • West Ham v Sheffield United was a decent first half, dreary second half. Their fans are LOUD but it didn't count for much. They have very little options in the final third and we carved them apart in the first half, it could've been 4-0 if Antonio knew how to finish and their keeper didn't pull off a great save. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    LUTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

GO LUTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all ....
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197

There was a rumour that the guy went to the toilet but I think it's just bullshit. 

In these 'serious error' cases where it was obvious the tide turned against the affected team, maybe a rematch should occur. How can they just let the result stand? 
    But you'd only need a few of those for there to be serious rescheduling problems.  And once you've set the precedent, there's no turning back...
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    scrumhalf said:
    Two red cards and a last-minute own goal winner. Klopp may actually explode with indignation in his interviews.

Goes some small way towards making up for the decades of dodgy decisions we've endured at Anfield. 
    Ever had an actual apology from the refs?
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    edited September 2023
    axisus said:
    LUTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

GO LUTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all ....
    Do you just pick your favourite team depending on the result? Luton or ManU. Make your mind up :-)
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    Philly_Q said:

But you'd only need a few of those for there to be serious rescheduling problems.  And once you've set the precedent, there's no turning back...
    But how can such an injustice be allowed to stand? How can reviewed decisions be allowed to stand without actual repurcussions or any effort to make it right? There has to be a solution beyond just accepting it. VAR is a disaster. 
    VAR is a disaster. 
    Yes.

It sucks the emotion and immediacy out of a game.

Thats justified on the grounds that it gets decisions right (according to some definition, somewhere).

Once it loses that justification, it loses any claim to legitimacy.

Bin it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    There were injustices, and terrible decisions, for many decades before VAR existed, and clubs just had to live with the consequences.  Now just because we have a system which is supposed to "eliminate" mistakes - but doesn't - I don't think it justifies extreme measures to compensate for the mistakes which do still occur.

I don't think you can ever replay matches (unless they're abandoned for some reason).  And you certainly can't award points for what might have happened had an error not been made.  They just have to keep working on VAR and make it better.  Or accept it's failed, give it up and go back to the way things were.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter