Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Think spurs are starting to appreciate what a player they've got in Richarlison too; he'll flourish there with the right manager
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader

Apparently, the VAR people didn't see the linesman's flag going up, he didn't see Dias stop celebrating, VAR thought the goal was given, hence "Check complete"

If they weren't watching the game....what the heck were they watching?

And perhaps they should stop using ambiguous terms like "Check Complete", and use the term what they are thinking. 
    The lol wasn’t aimed at you but at their statement - if that was true then why not quickly get a message to the 4th official before they took the free kick to explain any ‘misunderstanding’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    scrumhalf said:
    I will have sympathy for players who feel they have been on the end of wrong refereeing decisions when they don't spend the other 89 minutes of the game trying to con the referee.

What goes around comes around.
    Spot on, primadonnas mate
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023 tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    scrumhalf said:
    I will have sympathy for players who feel they have been on the end of wrong refereeing decisions when they don't spend the other 89 minutes of the game trying to con the referee.

What goes around comes around.
    Spot on, primadonnas mate
    Normally I would agree but not this time 

no one was trying to con the ref/officials - it was an error by a 3rd party who were introduced to the game to correct on pitch issues 

in short they failed to do a simple job and as such have reduced the whole credibility of the process 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited October 2023
    tony99 said:
    Seen a few mad shouts in here over time but replaying matches because you're not happy with a result is pretty far out.
    I can’t recall any one asking for that
    Yep. It's not about not being happy it's about a complete and utter fuck up by the officials, and it's just a suggestion. Relax poppet. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tony99 said:
    Seen a few mad shouts in here over time but replaying matches because you're not happy with a result is pretty far out.
    Yep. It's not about not being happy it's about a complete and utter fuck up by the officials, and it's a suggestion. Relax poppet. 
    pretty poor suggestion, even for you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    Yep. It's not about not being happy it's about a complete and utter fuck up by the officials, and it's a suggestion. Relax poppet. 
    I'm not going to be drawn into an argument with you, even if you seem intent on having one for some reason. You have a great evening. 
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    I'm not going to be drawn into an argument with you, even if you seem intent on having one for some reason. You have a great evening. 
    You too amigo!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Puts popcorn away ....
    Here you go gang, sign the petition in the name of sporting integrity:

https://www.change.org/p/replaying-the-tottenham-hotspur-vs-liverpool-football-club-fixture-for-premier-league-integrity

Utter lunatics, honest to god.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    tony99 said:

Can’t argue with that …
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Can we replay the Champions League final after that shit penalty decision?

Or last season's game where Jota kicked Skipp in the head and wasn't sent off? And wasn't Klopp's reaction to it full of sporting grace and spirit? 

Karma. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fulham gave Chelsea two goals in 2 minutes tonight because of rubbish defending.
    It would of been a 0-0 draw otherwise..
    Stupid.
  • Fulham gave Chelsea two goals in 2 minutes tonight because of rubbish defending.
    Stupid.
    If everyone defended well for 90+ mins we wouldn't see any goals scored. Even you can admit that's not the kind of sport you'd want to watch. But I get it. You just hate chelsea that much. I'm not a chelsea fan but even I wouldn't say something as silly as "it would have been 0-0 if it wasn't for rubbish defending" =) 
    Stupid.
    If everyone defended well for 90+ mins we wouldn't see any goals scored. Even you can admit that's not the kind of sport you'd want to watch. But I get it. You just hate chelsea that much. I'm not a chelsea fan but even I wouldn't say something as silly as "it would have been 0-0 if it wasn't for rubbish defending" =) 
    I don’t hate Chelsea or Fulham.
    I used to go and watch both when I lived on the Fulham road in the 70s and Chelsea when I was at school in the 60s with my family and school mate When West Ham weren’t playing at home..
    I was just stating a fact .
    If Fulham hadn’t made two awful defensive mistakes in two minutes Chelsea wouldn’t have scored and it would have been 0-0 .
    I didn’t like it in 1975 when Chelsea lost at Fulham and their fans smashed every flat hairdresser’s shop and business windows on their walk back up the Fulham road to Fulham Broadway .
    Terrorists with bricks .
    I was in Bournemouth from the Friday got back on the Sunday evening and it looked like Beirut .
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:

https://www.change.org/p/replaying-the-tottenham-hotspur-vs-liverpool-football-club-fixture-for-premier-league-integrity

just a stupid gesture - It won't go anywhere - Any thought of a replay is stupid

The more you hear about it the more you realise it is poor communication - 'The check is over' - What does that mean

In cricket it would be a chat between the third umpire and umpire on the pitch and 'you can stay with your on field decision' or vice versa

It appears as though Var thought they were confirming the goal was okay, but did not realise it had been disallowed - Yet 7 secs later they realised the issue and did nothing about it 

As I say poor communication is the biggest issue

No use saying stop var as that would not have 're-instated' the goal as the pitch officials had disallowed it anyway - So no one would have been any better off (well Spurs would have been)

Improve the communication - Why can't the ref go to the monitor and see the situation and talk to the var people and discuss it it one to one as they talk about what they see, as in Rugby 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 557
    edited October 2023
    Fulham gave Chelsea two goals in 2 minutes tonight because of rubbish defending.
    Stupid.
    If everyone defended well for 90+ mins we wouldn't see any goals scored. Even you can admit that's not the kind of sport you'd want to watch. But I get it. You just hate chelsea that much. I'm not a chelsea fan but even I wouldn't say something as silly as "it would have been 0-0 if it wasn't for rubbish defending"  
    I don’t hate Chelsea or Fulham.
    I used to go and watch both when I lived on the Fulham road in the 70s and Chelsea when I was at school in the 60s with my family and school mate When West Ham weren’t playing at home..
    I was just stating a fact .
    If Fulham hadn’t made two awful defensive mistakes in two minutes Chelsea wouldn’t have scored and it would have been 0-0 .
    I didn’t like it in 1975 when Chelsea lost at Fulham and their fans smashed every flat hairdresser’s shop and business windows on their walk back up the Fulham road to Fulham Broadway .
    Terrorists with bricks .
    I was in Bournemouth from the Friday got back on the Sunday evening and it looked like Beirut .
    Come on mate, you know that's not a guarantee. First of all, the first goal wasn't because of shocking defending. Caicedo spread it out wide to Colwill from the back, he played a perfectly weighted cross to Mudryk who controlled it well and scored. Give credit where its due. But even IF it was due to bad defending you honestly think it would've just ended up 0-0?? If that first goal hadn't happened all the events after that would've changed completely and Chelsea could've scored from a different player, from a different position from a different point in time. For all you know that could've led to events to chelsea more than 2 as an alternate possibility.

What i will add though is that I think it's funny that chelsea have been waiting to score more than 1 goal for so long and it happened when they finally got a shirt sponsor =) 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    When do Brentford get their apology from PGMOL and a petition to have their game replayed?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    RobDavies said:
    When do Brentford get their apology from PGMOL and a petition to have their game replayed?
    I assume you mean the hand ball this weekend v Forest

If so then the difference is 'hand ball' is still considered an opinion not a fact unless we have zero tolerance in the box/on the pitch  - As it happens I feel most would have given that as hand ball - The issue this weekend was an obvious error based on fact - He was onside - No debate about on or off - But some issues are still open to interpretation - Bad tackle etc 

Some think that Spurs were unlucky the week before about the hand ball v Arsenal - I don't think it was deliberate and I don't think the Spurs player was booked - But it looked pretty certain that it was going in the net - hence hand ball IMO
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    RobDavies said:

If so then the difference is 'hand ball' is still considered an opinion not a fact unless we have zero tolerance in the box/on the pitch  - As it happens I feel most would have given that as hand ball - The issue this weekend was an obvious error based on fact - He was onside - No debate about on or off - But some issues are still open to interpretation - Bad tackle etc 

Some think that Spurs were unlucky the week before about the hand ball v Arsenal - I don't think it was deliberate and I don't think the Spurs player was booked - But it looked pretty certain that it was going in the net - hence hand ball IMO
    Well, there was that, but I was referring to the penalty not given for the Forest keeper’s foul on Wissa (which, by the letter of the law, should be a red card as well). 

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    edited October 2023
    RobDavies said:
    RobDavies said:

Well, there was that, but I was referring to the penalty not given for the Forest keeper’s foul on Wissa (which, by the letter of the law, should be a red card as well). 

We're even for the Penalty Wissa was given in the same fixture last season, which should never have been given because Henderson never touched him  

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Can we accept;
    • Football is a game which involves some physical contact
    • Not all physical contact will be deemed "a foul"
    • The laws of the game include a number of areas open to interpretation
    • Human beings - fallible - are responsible for those interpretations
    • Thousands of people will have opinions on those interpretations, but all other opinions are irrelevant
    • Over the course of a game, and a season, teams will win-some, lose-some of those interpretations and end-up level
    • Unless it's Liverpool, because the world is out to get Liverpool
    I saw a report that said the VAR team at the Spurs/Liverpool game had been in the UAE refereeing a game 48hrs earlier.  Don't know about them, but I know I'd not be at my best 48hrs after a trip to the UAE and probably wouldn't choose to be doing a high profile, critical (to thousands of football fans) job until I'd had a proper rest.

Guessing that they went there for the ££s (and maybe a bit of RnR), so perhaps there should be some more control around what the refereeing teams are up to outside the matches that they're (supposedly) managing.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited October 2023
    tony99 said:

That's amazing! Lets see if it gets 100k and gets debated in Parliament. lol 
    I think the sporting integrity argument would have some merit, and possibly an effect, if the team who benefit from bad / wrong decisions say they don't accept them.

Was it Wenger who offered a replay to a losing team in the cup? Remember Di Canio catching the ball instead of scoring because the goalie was injured? That's sporting integrity.

When a team refuses a trophy because they benefit from a dodgy decision then the governing bodies may have a rethink.

Sorry, I moved to Cloud Cuckooland fairly recently.

• I know Liverpool have private shareholders and aren't a plc like Arsenal, Man Utd etc but I guess a wrong decision in a big game could materially affect the value of the company and it wouldn't surprise me (especially the more clubs get bought by Americans who are notoriously litigious) if the threat of lawsuits unless games get replayed gets thrown around in future.

Oh for the days when clubs were owned by dodgy businessman with Jags and Sheepskin Coats
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Suppose that the FA say that appeals to replay games go to court.

Team A might have qualified for Europe. Team B might have avoided relegation. Lawyers get involved, it takes months to resolve. What happens to the Champions League, Premier League or Championship if the previous season's fixtures have not been completed.

Will it be allowed the other way? Can the match referee or someone from PGMOL review the game and decide that player X deserved a second yellow for a foul, or simulation and the game should be replayed with X's team a man down?

People make errors. Players cheat to get an advantage. He who comes to equity must come with clean hands. 

Suck it up, princess. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    tony99 said:
    I think the sporting integrity argument would have some merit, and possibly an effect, if the team who benefit from bad / wrong decisions say they don't accept them.

Was it Wenger who offered a replay to a losing team in the cup? Remember Di Canio catching the ball instead of scoring because the goalie was injured? That's sporting integrity.

When a team refuses a trophy because they benefit from a dodgy decision then the governing bodies may have a rethink.

Arsenal did replay a cup tie after we scored from a throw when "etiquette" said we should give the ball back to the opposition. They realised they had been unsporting and offered to replay - makes the whinging now seem very petty.

'It was pandemonium' - Arsenal, Sheffield United and the game that was wiped from history | Goal.com UK
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    tony99 said:

Arsenal did replay a cup tie after we scored from a throw when "etiquette" said we should give the ball back to the opposition. They realised they had been unsporting and offered to replay - makes the whinging now seem very petty.

'It was pandemonium' - Arsenal, Sheffield United and the game that was wiped from history | Goal.com UK
    Holey Moley yes I remember that!

And we have a precedent! :lol:
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I don’t think Spurs will offer a replay for a mistake made by a 3rd party though.

That Arsenal precedent is a bit like Leeds (Bielsa) ordered his players to let the opposition score after they scored themselves from a throw in when the etiquette is to give the ball back.
  • joneve said:
    RobDavies said:
    RobDavies said:

We're even for the Penalty Wissa was given in the same fixture last season, which should never have been given because Henderson never touched him  

And there is your problem. Everyone can make a claim on being shafted by VAR at some point. Sometimes the decisions are 50/50, but sometimes they are clear errors. This is why teams are reluctant to say 'fair enough, let's replay it', because it's happened to them too at some stage. As I said earlier, Liverpool have done well out of VAR over the last 2 seasons if the stats are to be believed, although they were hard done by the season before. As someone has mentioned before, if VAR hadn't been there the goal wouldn't have stood anyway as it was called offside. Fans are already shouting and screaming about disrupted play, imagine if it becomes like rugby; we'll be seeing games that go on forever.

And just to be clear, I'd rather it wasn't being used.