Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited October 2023 tFB Trader
    Nice little record for WestHam now to own -
    17 consecutive matches unbeaten in Europe 

Beating the previous record of 16 held jointly by Pep ‘s Man City - Bill Nicholson’s Spurs and of course Don Revie’s Super Leeds
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Yep. We're massive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Spurs should have had the game won inside the first 10mins, Luton had spells when they could have won it, if they had a decent striker.

But the table doesn’t lie ….
    :D

MsnU with Evans & Maguire at the back.  How did that happen???
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Nice little record for WestHam now to own -
    17 consecutive matches unbeaten in Europe 

Beating the previous record of 16 held jointly by Pep ‘s Man City - Bill Nicholson’s Spurs and of course Don Revie’s Super Leeds
    I saw that record and had to laugh a bit, I don't think that West Ham's third tear run is quite the same thing As Man City's top tear run! Still, it's an achievement!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Terrible injury yesterday for Blades Capt Chris Basham. I hope it doesn’t affect his career. 

Good win for Middlesbrough in the derby.

Darlo lost 0-4.

Sheff Wed still without a win.
    I play at my dining room table.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TTony said:
    Spurs should have had the game won inside the first 10mins, Luton had spells when they could have won it, if they had a decent striker.

But the table doesn’t lie ….
    :D

MsnU with Evans & Maguire at the back.  How did that happen???
    Another disappointing result for Luton where we might have gotten something out of the game. I'm under no illusions though, I predicted that we would finish last, but we are still out of the relegation zone at the moment! Yeah, that won't last, but I'm glad to see that we are still hanging in games. Bournemouth look dire this year, so one of the promoted teams could well stay up, almost certainly Burnley I would say. Bournemouth shot themselves in the foot sacking a perfectly good manager, some of these clubs have no idea ....

Man U dire again. Great result though, McTominay isn't a 'great' footballer but he has a good heart for the club, glad to see him still there. That club needs some radical decision making, drop some of the 'stars' maybe. They have to rethink for sure.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    We should have had the game done and dusted after 15 minutes yesterday, Richarlison's inability to hit a cow's arse with a banjo may yet prove costly this season.

Interestingly Ange have young Veliz some time again yesterday. I can see him being preferrred to Richy if the reports about him are true.

Bissouma was a silly boy. His penchant for picking up cards may be the solution for the problem of who to pick in midfield once Bentancur returns. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229

I have never seen anything like this!

Both goalies gets sent off AFTER 90mins was up.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• I have never seen anything like this!

Both goalies gets sent off AFTER 90mins was up.
    Absolutely crazy! Giroud seemed solid too.
    Yeah, well played Giroud there!
  • Big one vs Citeh today. Don't know exactly what Zinchenko was meant to have said but he deleted his Instagram post and went private so something political I would have thought. I wonder if he'll get the Ozil treatment a few years back when he was frozen out for comments.
  • Wow, wasn't expecting us to win that one. What a win. Martinelli made quite an impact when he came on, esp as we're missing Saka. Kovacic should have been sent off for 2 awful tackles. Rice was immense as well. Starting to pay back that £105 million he cost us.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    I left a minute before Kudus scored to equalise against Newcastle. I'm recovering from surgery and the thought of standing in long queues to get to the station is too much. I'd kick myself, if I could.

Awful referring. Bruno should have been sent off. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    West Ham showing resilience with o ing back - Kudos :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    Any Leeds fans on here? If so, how is Ethan Ampadu doing?
    Vintage65 said:
    Any Leeds fans on here? 
    Ssshhhhhh!!

I think there's one somewhere, but he's a bit of a nutter (well, he is a Leeds fan) so we try not to disturb him too much.
    ;)
    tFB Trader
    Vintage65 said:
    excellent - always playing that holding CM role - MOTM many times - Think he's played every min of every league game - Fans love him - Reads the game well - strong in the tackle and even had a few shots albeit no goal

He might not be good enough for a top 6-8 PL Elite club but could easily find a slot in a bottom 10 club
  • His dad Kwame Ampadu played for West Brom around the time I started getting into football, its the kind of name you remember even as a kid. It's quite depressing when the sons of players you remember are now players themselves haha
    tFB Trader
    His dad Kwame Ampadu played for West Brom around the time I started getting into football, its the kind of name you remember even as a kid. It's quite depressing when the sons of players you remember are now players themselves haha
    What about Archie Gray - His dad played for Leeds - His Grandad played for Leeds and won the CL with Forest and his Great Uncle is Eddie Gray - Probably my fav player of that Revie team and yes I saw them a few times, albeit towards the end of that era
    tFB Trader
    UK + Ireland will stage the 2028 Euro's - Interesting no games at OT - Possibly reflective of the state of the stadium now - On paper you'd have thought that the Emirates would be used, but they are already using 2 stadiums in London - Assume the choice of Everton, with 52K capacity is based on the new stadium 

1. Wembley Stadium (London) (capacity 90,652)

2. Principality Stadium (Cardiff) (73,952)

3. Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (London) (62,322)

4. Etihad Stadium (Manchester) (61,000)

5. Everton Stadium (Liverpool) (52,679)

6. St James' Park (Newcastle) (52,305)

7. Villa Park (Birmingham) (52,190)

8. Hampden Park (Glasgow) (52,032)

9. Aviva Stadium (Dublin) (51,711)

10. Casement Park (Belfast) (34,500)

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4008
    UK + Ireland will stage the 2028 Euro's - Interesting no games at OT - Possibly reflective of the state of the stadium now - On paper you'd have thought that the Emirates would be used, but they are already using 2 stadiums in London - Assume the choice of Everton, with 52K capacity is based on the new stadium 

1. Wembley Stadium (London) (capacity 90,652)

2. Principality Stadium (Cardiff) (73,952)

3. Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (London) (62,322)

4. Etihad Stadium (Manchester) (61,000)

5. Everton Stadium (Liverpool) (52,679)

6. St James' Park (Newcastle) (52,305)

7. Villa Park (Birmingham) (52,190)

8. Hampden Park (Glasgow) (52,032)

9. Aviva Stadium (Dublin) (51,711)

10. Casement Park (Belfast) (34,500)

I've read that Old Trafford and Anfield didn't have large screens and this was an issue.  Owners didn't want to add screens due to cost, and loss of seats/revenue 
     On paper you'd have thought that the Emirates would be used,
    No, it looks like they’re only using football stadia
    ;)
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    edited October 2023
    Has anyone watched the Beckham show on Netflix.

Thought I’d ask here as it doesn’t deserve its own thread.

Overall it’s a horrible piece of promo. The only good thing for me was seeing all the old 90s footage again. Though the only original footage really are his dad’s home videos.

But really it is 4 hours of saying nothing. Basically at different points - WC98, 2003 at United, 2007 with Capello at RM, 2011 in LA when he wanted to stay at AC Milan - everyone hated him and he overcame by working hard and not giving up.

They skirted over the affair with Rebecca Loos in 2004 pretty well. Posh just talked about overcoming the pain and letting it go when they moved to LA.

Literally learnt nothing. But it is clear they really are in love and I don’t mean that sarcastically at all. They are perfect for each other.
  • LPManic said:

No, and I don't intend to. 

Good for them! (Re: being in love) - no sarcasm either.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    TTony said:
     On paper you'd have thought that the Emirates would be used,
    No, it looks like they’re only using football stadia
    ;)
    So why have they chosen the spuds toilet bowl ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    Vintage65 said:
    excellent - always playing that holding CM role - MOTM many times - Think he's played every min of every league game - Fans love him - Reads the game well - strong in the tackle and even had a few shots albeit no goal

He might not be good enough for a top 6-8 PL Elite club but could easily find a slot in a bottom 10 club
    It sounds like a similar situation to the past few seasons. I'd like to see him in a team where most of the players are better than him, as it would raise his performance levels and we would find out what his real ceiling is. He's got a big game coming up against Croatia on the weekend, so playing against Luka Modric & Co should be a good test for him.
    tFB Trader
    LPManic said:

No, and I don't intend to. 

Good for them! (Re: being in love) - no sarcasm either.
    Can't stand the guy and hate here even more so would not give it 1 min of my time - But if they are in love with each other than fine by me - But just don't need to see it 
  • swiller said:
    TTony said:
    Yes a great night for the Geordie's Saudis
    Not at all dismissing the work of Eddie Howe or the passion of the fans, but lets not forget who's behind it, and why.
    Yea it was a great game, and it's great to see the likes of Dan Burn achieve something like this with his boyhood club but it really a showcase of the new chapter of sports ownership. It is crazy that they allow this is Europe and not in the US.

I am desperate that my club doesn't go this way. 
    It isnt a showcase of new chapter sports ownership at all. Chelsea oligarch anyone?? ffs.

It is a showcase of atmosphere, loyal fans, 20 years of under performance and mis management and now  having the best manager in Europe. A club that still sold out in championship/relegation zone 50k every week.

I get the Jealousy for supporters of other clubs, even me as a fan remains surprised at the quality and results, but compared the spend even this season/last season and its clear to see that saudi money is not eclipsing any of the top 6-7 clubs and is more in line with bottom table. See last 5 years net spend... below

1. Man City – £601.98m
    2. Man Utd – £484.88m
    3. Arsenal – £267.88m
    4. Everton – £225.42m
    5. Brighton – £214.86m
    6. Wolves – £205.22m
    7. West Ham – £187.49m
    8. Bournemouth – £176.95m
    9. Aston Villa – £166.65m
    10. Watford – £125.69m
    11. Leicester City – £124.83m
    12. Newcastle – £122.91m
    13. Chelsea – £115.57m
    14. Liverpool – £107.58m
    15. Tottenham – £106.62m
    16. Crystal Palace – £75.69m
    17. Burnley – £59.4m
    18. Sheffield United – £56.71m
    19. Southampton – £22.32m
    20. Norwich City – £25.42m profit

What is the source for that data? Doesn’t look right. 
  • ^^ it's not right, its from 2020
    LPManic said:

Thought I’d ask here as it doesn’t deserve its own thread.

Overall it’s a horrible piece of promo. The only good thing for me was seeing all the old 90s footage again. Though the only original footage really are his dad’s home videos.

But really it is 4 hours of saying nothing. Basically at different points - WC98, 2003 at United, 2007 with Capello at RM, 2011 in LA when he wanted to stay at AC Milan - everyone hated him and he overcame by working hard and not giving up.

They skirted over the affair with Rebecca Loos in 2004 pretty well. Posh just talked about overcoming the pain and letting it go when they moved to LA.

Literally learnt nothing. But it is clear they really are in love and I don’t mean that sarcastically at all. They are perfect for each other.
    As a Man U and Beckham fan I'd quite like to see it. I'm just not sure I can be bothered with 4 hours of vacuous material when there are so many better documentaries to watch.

It always makes me laugh when I see them mention the Rebecca Loos thing, they both seem to think of it as an unfortunate accident that occurred to them. No love, your man f****** his PA.