Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 868
    edited October 2023
    If Sky have got the wording right, this is what he said:

"Some people probably don't want me to say, but not as the manager of Liverpool so much, more as a football person, the only outcome should be a replay. That's how it is. It probably will not happen."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    No he isn’t. I watched the whole press conference, he gave his opinion that would be a fair resolution but doesn’t think that would happen. He’s not calling for anything, in fact in the same PF he stressed how important it was to not go after the individuals that made the mistakes. He’s actually been pretty reasonable about the whole thing but haters love to jump on him any given chance. 

It wouldn't be a fair resolution though, as it'd be unfair on every other team who have had a bad decision go against them and didn't get a replay, or even the same bizarre levels of medis coverage.
    It’s getting a lot of coverage because it’s the first time VAR have made a mistake in this manner. There’s been plenty of debatable decisions made, harsh red cards, penalties etc where there’s a certain amount of interpretation with different opinions but this level of mistake is unprecedented. 
    None of which is actually Klopp or LFC’s fault. 

I see Simon Jordan has been peddling the “victim culture” of Liverpool fans, that bloke’s a proper tw@t. 

Personally, I don’t want a replay or any retrospective action. It’s done, move on. Hopefully mechanisms will be put in place to ensure it doesn’t happen again. 

What mechanisms do you suggest?
    not hard to answer that - PROPER communication between the ref and 'off pitch official' with the ref actually watching the replay as well - Better option would be this conversation to be held over the 'in house' pa so the crowd can hear as well, preferably with the big screen showing the relevant 'incident' - Not hard is it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    edited October 2023
    If Sky have got the wording right, this is what he said:

"Some people probably don't want me to say, but not as the manager of Liverpool so much, more as a football person, the only outcome should be a replay. That's how it is. It probably will not happen."
    As I've said before, once whoppers like Klopp make a fuss about when bad decision benefits them, then there's an argument for so called sporting integrity. 

As it is though it just comes across as sour grapes. It'll work in liverpool's favour anyway as officials will be scared to give anything against them after all this nonsense.

As @Longtallronnie said, best to move on.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • I said move on but that doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be consequences. And I don’t mean replays etc but things put in place to prevent similar incidents. 
    You can whinge about “bad decisions” all you want but I bet most those would be considered subjective and everyone moans about them when they don’t go their way. 
    Has Postecoglou been up in arms this week over the Diaz’s disallowed goal??

Like I said some people just like to bitch about Klopp any chance they get. 
    tFB Trader
    There will always be a discussion about any outcome that is based on an opinion - That won't change, especially for handball, whereby there is no zero tolerance - ie every handball, no matter what, is a free kick/penalty - And I don't believe that should be the case - So various tackles and penalties arising from such tackles or hand balls will often be an opinion - ditto yellow changing to red card for such offences 

But they must improve the dialogue between the official on the pitch and the 'editing' suite at var etc - Worse case scenario, the dialogue has to be between the off pitch and on pitch, official - It should at least be available to the tv/radio stations and IMO should be available, as per Rugby and cricket, to the crowd - Not hard to organise - So let's move on and let this be the end  of it - As if !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can whinge about “bad decisions” all you want 
    Not as much as you lot can !!
  • Yawn
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    There will be a huge atmosphere tonight in Newcastle as they host PSG and first CL game at home for 20 years. Wish i was there, but quite emotional this evening for sure. 

Think we get beat , perhaps significantly, but if we carve a result/performance out of this and give them a decent game then i will be very proud. Even if we dont, it is fantastic experience for the clubs players and will set a benchmark to aspire to in practical terms.  The crowd will be absolutely hoofing it with support irrespective of the scoreline.

Pope, Trippier, Lascelles, Schar, Burn, Longstaff, Guimaraes, Tonali, Almiron, Isak, Gordon. Is a pretty good starting line up. Think we can get goals with the midfield and attack irrespective of the opposition. Pope as good as any kepper, but think it will be NUFC defence that will be the crux of the result. Tripper vs mbappe is one to watch for sure.

HOWAY the fucking LADS!!!

Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Incredible times for NUFC. How’s that for a result then @swiller ? Chuffed for Trippier (one of my faves) and Mbappe apparently none too pleased :lol: 
    I play at my dining room table.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005

I just watched it. Wish I could be out for a beer there tonight!

Not a Newcastle fan but a slight soft spot because of the fans really. Despite the ownership, I was pleased for them and they played their hearts out.

PSG looked like what they really are. A collection of spoiled expensive individuals not giving it 100%. They barely deserved their goal.

And

An English Manager rocking it at that level... rare as hen's teeth so pleased for him.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    My brother was there, I can forgive him for not supporting his true local team (Darlington!).

In other news, Owls looking for a new gaffer, unsurprisingly.
    I play at my dining room table.
    tFB Trader
    rze99 said:

I just watched it. Wish I could be out for a beer there tonight!

Not a Newcastle fan but a slight soft spot because of the fans really. Despite the ownership, I was pleased for them and they played their hearts out.

PSG looked like what they really are. A collection of spoiled expensive individuals not giving it 100%. They barely deserved their goal.

And

An English Manager rocking it at that level... rare as hen's teeth so pleased for him.

Yes a great night for the Geordie's - A kiss of death group and you pick the 2 sides to go through, but you just knew that they'd have fun regardless - Excellent result - Plus agree about PSG - Strong illusions of grandeur with no track record of any consequence outside of France
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Amazing Newcastle result! I'm one of those who likes to see them doing well, they have great fans but they've really struggled as a team for decades. I honestly saw Eddie Howe as an 'interim' manager until they paid big money for a 'top' guy - boy did I get that wrong! 

On the BBC website I rather enjoyed the video they have  - a few minutes of fans reactions as they left the stadium. No surprise they were really buzzing!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Yes a great night for the Geordie's Saudis
    Not at all dismissing the work of Eddie Howe or the passion of the fans, but lets not forget who's behind it, and why.
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    Not at all dismissing the work of Eddie Howe or the passion of the fans, but lets not forget who's behind it, and why.
    ;)

What's the "why" you refer to? Sports washing??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

axisus said:
    Amazing Newcastle result! I'm one of those who likes to see them doing well, they have great fans but they've really struggled as a team for decades. I honestly saw Eddie Howe as an 'interim' manager until they paid big money for a 'top' guy - boy did I get that wrong! 

On the BBC website I rather enjoyed the video they have  - a few minutes of fans reactions as they left the stadium. No surprise they were really buzzing!
    and thankfully no horses were hurt!
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    TTony said:
    ;)
    Yea it was a great game, and it's great to see the likes of Dan Burn achieve something like this with his boyhood club but it really a showcase of the new chapter of sports ownership. It is crazy that they allow this is Europe and not in the US.

I am desperate that my club doesn't go this way. 
    edited October 2023
    TTony said:
    Yea it was a great game, and it's great to see the likes of Dan Burn achieve something like this with his boyhood club but it really a showcase of the new chapter of sports ownership. It is crazy that they allow this is Europe and not in the US.

It isnt a showcase of new chapter sports ownership at all. Chelsea oligarch anyone?? ffs.

It is a showcase of atmosphere, loyal fans, 20 years of under performance and mis management and now  having the best manager in Europe. A club that still sold out in championship/relegation zone 50k every week.

I get the Jealousy for supporters of other clubs, even me as a fan remains surprised at the quality and results, but compared the spend even this season/last season and its clear to see that saudi money is not eclipsing any of the top 6-7 clubs and is more in line with bottom table. See last 5 years net spend... below

1. Man City – £601.98m
    2. Man Utd – £484.88m
    3. Arsenal – £267.88m
    4. Everton – £225.42m
    5. Brighton – £214.86m
    6. Wolves – £205.22m
    7. West Ham – £187.49m
    8. Bournemouth – £176.95m
    9. Aston Villa – £166.65m
    10. Watford – £125.69m
    11. Leicester City – £124.83m
    12. Newcastle – £122.91m
    13. Chelsea – £115.57m
    14. Liverpool – £107.58m
    15. Tottenham – £106.62m
    16. Crystal Palace – £75.69m
    17. Burnley – £59.4m
    18. Sheffield United – £56.71m
    19. Southampton – £22.32m
    20. Norwich City – £25.42m profit

Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    swiller said:
    TTony said:

It isnt a showcase of new chapter sports ownership at all. Chelsea oligarch anyone?? ffs.

It is a showcase of atmosphere, loyal fans, 20 years of under performance and mis management and now  having the best manager in Europe. A club that still sold out in championship/relegation zone 50k every week.

I get the Jealousy for supporters of other clubs, even me as a fan remains surprised at the quality and results, but compared the spend even this season/last season and its clear to see that saudi money is not eclipsing any of the top 6-7 clubs and is more in line with bottom table. See last 5 years net spend... below

1. Man City – £601.98m
    2. Man Utd – £484.88m
    3. Arsenal – £267.88m
    4. Everton – £225.42m
    5. Brighton – £214.86m
    6. Wolves – £205.22m
    7. West Ham – £187.49m
    10. Watford – £125.69m
    12. Newcastle – £122.91m
    13. Chelsea – £115.57m
    14. Liverpool – £107.58m
    15. Tottenham – £106.62m
    17. Burnley – £59.4m

Ignore them mate, it's just jealousy and ignorance. 
    HTL
  • swiller said:
    TTony said:

1. Man City – £601.98m
    2. Man Utd – £484.88m
    3. Arsenal – £267.88m
    4. Everton – £225.42m
    5. Brighton – £214.86m
    6. Wolves – £205.22m
    7. West Ham – £187.49m
    10. Watford – £125.69m
    12. Newcastle – £122.91m
    13. Chelsea – £115.57m
    14. Liverpool – £107.58m
    15. Tottenham – £106.62m
    17. Burnley – £59.4m

That list is from 2020 by the way, over a year before the Newcastle takeover ;) 
    https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/the-20-premier-league-clubs-ranked-by-net-spend-over-last-five-years
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    swiller said:

Firstly, separate the atmosphere & fans from the ownership.

No criticism of the atmosphere at St James' Park.  That was incredible, even on TV.  Full marks and total respect to the NUFC fans who, I reckon, won that game for their club inside the first 15mins.  The fans love the club and will look past ownership or sponsorship or ticket prices or any other possible negative aspect because the fans love the club. 

(That's how the owners get away with the ticket prices, the onsite catering, the £80 shirts, et al).

• Abramovich bought Chelsea (I'm guessing here) partly because he discovered that he could only buy so many yachts and needed to wash some other funds, and partly as a way of embedding himself in a non-Russian culture (didn't quite work).  
    • Glazers bought ManU because it was a way for a bunch of rich capitalists to make themselves a bit richer.  
    • Boehly fronted the Chelea acquisition for the same reason, but he's not quite worked out the spend/revenue equation yet.
    • Mansour bought ManC, hmmm, to raise the profile of UAE perhaps - its unlikely to be for the money given what they've ploughed in vs taken out.
    • Saudis bought NUFC as a sports-washing exercise.  They're not in it for the money, but they are trying to create a new image for the Saudi brand that's slightly more palatable than the traditional associations - the new NUFC strip colours are an excruciatingly blatant demonstration of that.
    I, speaking only for me, am not "jealous" of that approach, and at least NUFC have not bought themselves success in the way that ManC have done or ManU/Chelsea have tried to do. 

But I do think it's sad, and a disrespect to the heritage of those clubs and the present day fans of all clubs, in all divisions, who are being used by whatever owners to further their own interests, rather than the heritage of the clubs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^^^

But then I'm an old romantic who believes that the culture of a club and its identify in its community and the values that it shares with its fans is more important than which players it can afford to buy to be able to win a trinket or two.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTony said:
    ^^^

But then I'm an old romantic who believes that the culture of a club and its identify in its community and the values that it shares with its fans is more important than which players it can afford to buy to be able to win a trinket or two.

All good points..

Genuine question  what's your view on the Wrexham situation?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Genuine question  what's your view on the Wrexham situation?
    I'm aware of it, but not really looked at it enough to have formed a strong opinion.

It feels that they're using it primarily for their own personal profile reasons, but that's more akin to the old traditional chairman-cum-owner-of-the-local-factory rather than a faceless overseas investment trust looking to make money or sanitise their brand.

And it appears that they're engaging fully and actively with the local community / fanbase.

But that's a loosely formed opinion about something that doesn't really affect my primary area interest.
    Deadman said:
    Incredible times for NUFC. How’s that for a result then @swiller ? Chuffed for Trippier (one of my faves) and Mbappe apparently none too pleased :lol: 
    yes proper amazing. You tube channel commentators in tears after the game. :)
    Dont worry, be silly.
    edited October 2023
    swiller said:

That list is from 2020 by the way, over a year before the Newcastle takeover  
    https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/the-20-premier-league-clubs-ranked-by-net-spend-over-last-five-years
    ok my bad, (lol) but last season then, we spent same as notts forest and this year way behind the big guns..
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    edited October 2023
    swiller said:
    TTony said:

1. Man City – £601.98m
    2. Man Utd – £484.88m
    3. Arsenal – £267.88m
    4. Everton – £225.42m
    5. Brighton – £214.86m
    6. Wolves – £205.22m
    7. West Ham – £187.49m
    10. Watford – £125.69m
    12. Newcastle – £122.91m
    13. Chelsea – £115.57m
    14. Liverpool – £107.58m
    15. Tottenham – £106.62m
    17. Burnley – £59.4m

Newcastle fans are great supporters, and love their club, no doubt.

I really like Eddie Howe, but he's not the best manager in Europe. I'd say he has a long way to go to even enter the chat. Winning something might help.

@poboy It's a bit rich (pardon the pun) to call other fans jealous when they criticise your owners. As nice as it is for you guys to enjoy the excitement of having funds to go out and build a formidable team over the next few years. You have to face the fact of where that money comes from, and the people behind it. Although I can understand why the fans might choose to ignore it.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

edited October 2023
    CHRISB50 said:

I really like Eddie Howe, but he's not the best manager in Europe. I'd say he has a long way to go to even enter the chat. Winning something might help.

@poboy It's a bit rich (pardon the pun) to call other fans jealous when they criticise your owners. As nice as it is for you guys to enjoy the excitement of having funds to go out and build a formidable team over the next few years. You have to face the fact of where that money comes from, and the people behind it. Although I can understand why the fans might choose to ignore it.
    Howe has completely turned around bournemouth and nufc with little money. Pure shocking no one would have be;lieved it territory. No other manager has done that in europe, the "best" ones have usually worked their way up slowly and inherited rich clubs and world class players. pep is no exception. Thats why he is the best in europe, winning something is kind of irrelevant odd as that may seem.

And again its not a question of funds which has been explained multiple times since yesterday, its a case of still being moderate spenders and transforming performances with a great fan base, manager and new optimisim that ashley has gone.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited October 2023
    I feel sorry for Newcastle fans and I know a few and have always had a soft spot for them . I feel sorry because if the Saudi royal family bought Crystal Palace I couldn’t support the club personally and it’s the one thing that links generations of my family - my grandad used to go with his Dad, my Dad with his , me with mine and my son with me. I can imagine it’s the same for a lot of those Geordies.

Eddie has done great without spending loads , the team have over performed really - I just wish some clueless rich yank would have bought them instead tbh 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    swiller said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Howe has completely turned around bournemouth and nufc with little money. Pure shocking no one would have be;lieved it territory. No other manager has done that in europe, the "best" ones have usually worked their way up slowly and inherited rich clubs and world class players. pep is no exception. Thats why he is the best in europe, winning something is kind of irrelevant odd as that may seem.

And again its not a question of funds which has been explained multiple times since yesterday, its a case of still being moderate spenders and transforming performances with a great fan base, manager and new optimisim that ashley has gone.
    Repeating it doesn't make it true. 

Marc White has brought Dorking Wanderers from a park pitch, to the top of the non-league pyramid. 12 promotions in 23 years to go from tier 17 to tier 5. No one else has done that. But it doesn't mean he's the greatest non league manager ever. He's just done a great job. Like Eddie Howe.

Newcastle haven't spent as much as others. It's not the amount spent. It's where it comes from. That's the shitty bit.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter