Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• Shame about today's 0-0 result v Chelsea - we did have few good scoring chances. So did Chelsea but I feel that there were 2 more points to be earned. 3pts after 5 games- considering quite tough schedule to begin with it's not terrible. CFC looked bit lost again - I like Pochettino and hope he'll do well with the club but they're still a bit of a mess. I'm glad they didn't have "their" day today though ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Basic Corporate Governance rules wouldn't allow any individual to have authority to spend £100m, or to dispose of valuable assets (ie sell players), at their sole discretion.

ETH might - possibly - have a veto on buys/sales, but there's no way he'd have "total control" to the extent that's implied in that gossip piece.  He'll have a voice within whatever committee controls those things at MUFC.  He's just an employee, not someone with Director-level authority, who are in any case subservient to the ownership group.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • He's clearly choosing who he wants though, and that's the main point. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    We (Spurs) have got more points and scored more goals than Chel$ea and Man U combined. I wonder what the odds are of Poch and Ten Hag both being gone by Christmas? 

This takes me back to the days of Keith Burkinshaw. We could concede a few but we'd bang in a few more. 
  • Good win vs Everton yesterday, not an easy place to go to and get 3 points. Glad to see Havertz not start the game though it probably wasn't the right sort of game for Vieira either. Great goal by Trossard though, if Martinelli is out for a bit at least we have a good replacement. 

Feels a bit weird we're going to be playing in the Champions' League on Wednesday, haven't done that for a while!

Interested to see who starts in goal though, Raya had little or nothing to do yesterday but was calm in his area. Arteta was talking about maybe subbing off the keeper in a game just like you'd do for an outfield player, what the hell is all that about.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Good win vs Everton yesterday, not an easy place to go to and get 3 points. Glad to see Havertz not start the game though it probably wasn't the right sort of game for Vieira either. Great goal by Trossard though, if Martinelli is out for a bit at least we have a good replacement. 

Feels a bit weird we're going to be playing in the Champions' League on Wednesday, haven't done that for a while!

Interested to see who starts in goal though, Raya had little or nothing to do yesterday but was calm in his area. Arteta was talking about maybe subbing off the keeper in a game just like you'd do for an outfield player, what the hell is all that about.
    Yeah Goodison is a notoriously difficult place to get points, especially if you're Everton.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    So Pep is not moaning about his long injury list, but he wants to let you know about it - So just an update and not a moan -

"We are in trouble but I am not going to say 'oh, we have a lot of injuries'. It is what it is," said Guardiola

"With the players we have, we will go for it. As long as we have that mentality, that is good

"We have five really important players injured and to sustain that for a long time would be difficult."

Hard to have sympathy for him and his club with such issues - His bench is better than many other PL teams starting line up - Plus I've never ever heard of any club that doesn't have similar issues at some time or another - So just get on with it Pep - You are paid to manage, so do what you are paid to do - Manage it
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    So Pep is not moaning about his long injury list, but he wants to let you know about it - So just an update and not a moan -

"We are in trouble but I am not going to say 'oh, we have a lot of injuries'. It is what it is," said Guardiola

"With the players we have, we will go for it. As long as we have that mentality, that is good

"We have five really important players injured and to sustain that for a long time would be difficult."

Hard to have sympathy for him and his club with such issues - His bench is better than many other PL teams starting line up - Plus I've never ever heard of any club that doesn't have similar issues at some time or another - So just get on with it Pep - You are paid to manage, so do what you are paid to do - Manage it
    Yea, after our injury decimated season last year when we were having to field Jonjo fucking Shelvey and Andre fucking Ayew because we were so thin on the ground, I have a hard time feeling sympathy for any of the bigger clubs who moan about injuries. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4008
    As a United fan, we've lost Greenwood, Sancho and Anthony it seems (for now at least)

Then we have:
    Varane, Shaw, Malacia, AWB, Amrabat, Mainoo, Mount, Amad, and Heaton out.

Most clubs seem to have quite a list... it's almost like playing record games last year has had an impact
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    joeyowen said:
    As a United fan, we've lost Greenwood, Sancho and Anthony it seems (for now at least)

Then we have:
    Varane, Shaw, Malacia, AWB, Amrabat, Mainoo, Mount, Amad, and Heaton out.

Most clubs seem to have quite a list... it's almost like playing record games last year has had an impact
    AWB - I’m sure Ten Hag will ‘pick up the pieces’
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited September 2023
    Is the problem "playing too many games" or is it "Failing to condition their players for a longer haul, in favour of short term overclocking of their physical condition"?

My club (West Brom) get a lot of injuries since our current manager came in (Carlos Corberan), and I suspect that's what the problem is for us. Well, that and the fact we have to sign the players who aren't good enough or strong enough to cut it at a proper club.

When we had Pulis in charge, whilst the football was pretty dire at times (just as it is now, in fairness to him) we had a ridiculous record of having something like only one or two "muscle" based injuries in a season, ie the only injuries we incurred were from other players fouling our players. Yes we were playing less games than the big teams, but we were a Championship quality team finishing mid table in the Premiership, so clearly over performing but without pushing the players past their physical limits.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Is the problem "playing too many games" or is it "Failing to condition their players for a longer haul, in favour of short term overclocking of their physical condition"?
    Last season was a mess with the break in the middle.  Those playing in the World Cup had to play in "unusual" conditions, would have had a completely different training and care regime from their domestic clubs, and then had to come back straight into the domestic competitions.

This season the challenge is that games have got 10%+ longer.  It's like playing half-an-extra-time for most games, week-in, week-out.  

Athletes are conditioned to perform at a peak level for a specific amount of time, with defined recovery periods in between.  Changing that - as happened last season and is happening, albeit differently, again this season, is going to have an impact on performance levels and injuries.

That said ...
    joeyowen said:
    But not through injuries!

And ...
    So Pep is not moaning about his long injury list, but he wants to let you know about it - So just an update and not a moan

Yup, shut up Pep.
    :D
    TTony said:
    But not through injuries!

True, but it reduces the recovery period of other players.  Others will now get less rotation and less rest again.

Also, Martial is made of glass it seems, he is probably going to be out again soon.

Maguire is missing for tonight now, as he is injured.  Reports that Varane may be back 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600

My club (West Brom) get a lot of injuries since our current manager came in (Carlos Corberan), and I suspect that's what the problem is for us. Well, that and the fact we have to sign the players who aren't good enough or strong enough to cut it at a proper club.

When we had Pulis in charge, whilst the football was pretty dire at times (just as it is now, in fairness to him) we had a ridiculous record of having something like only one or two "muscle" based injuries in a season, ie the only injuries we incurred were from other players fouling our players. Yes we were playing less games than the big teams, but we were a Championship quality team finishing mid table in the Premiership, so clearly over performing but without pushing the players past their physical limits.
    We had the same with Nuno at Wolves. Same squad week in week out for a record number of games including Euro pre-qulifiers. They were totally exhausted by the end but only one injury in all that time (Boly broken leg). Then came Lage and they dropped like flies. Enter Lopetegui (the son of a famous weightlifter) and fitness, stamina and durability increased. O'Neil - back to second half exhaustion. I think a lot of comes down to the backroom fitness staff and the quality of the team doctor. Nuno had one of the best team doctors, who went to the England team, and we suffered.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • I got this commemorative booklet and coin through the post today. A nice touch for season ticket holders.

Nice touch. Down at the Villa, us Season Ticket holders were treated to a 15% price rise, removal of our free cup game (for the first home cup tie, whatever comp that may be in) and we've just been told that our Season Ticket holders bar and food area under the Holte End is now hospitality...£60 bolt on to EVERY game (not that I'll be going in there again). 

The new regime at Villa certainly see us as Customers first, fans second. The facilities within the ground are shonky at best, but all that get improved is hospitality (which was half full on Saturday for the Palace game). 

Hate seeing the club get so much right on the pitch, but scoring so many own goals off it, the disconnect with the fan base is rapidly growing, at a pace that maybe even results on the pitch can't wash over. 

May be my last season as a ST holder if this keeps up.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    It’s clearly the extra 5 mins they have to “play” as a result of the over long goal celebrations !

I think when the ref blows his whistle for the goal, the defending side can kick off when they want, and if people want to spend 2 minutes celebrating a goal while the other side kicks off they can do so !
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    sev112 said:
    It’s clearly the extra 5 mins they have to “play” as a result of the over long goal celebrations !

I think when the ref blows his whistle for the goal, the defending side can kick off when they want, and if people want to spend 2 minutes celebrating a goal while the other side kicks off they can do so !
    Great idea.
    tFB Trader
    Not sure when the next Oscar's are but Morgan Gibbs White surely has to be in with a chance of best actor - Granted Rodri did not need to put his hand around his throat - But the acting after was far to OTT - I know the appropriate authorities won't do anything, but as Rodri is now on for a 3 match ban, then IMO Gibbs White should join him
    edited September 2023
    Not sure when the next Oscar's are but Morgan Gibbs White surely has to be in with a chance of best actor - Granted Rodri did not need to put his hand around his throat - But the acting after was far to OTT - I know the appropriate authorities won't do anything, but as Rodri is now on for a 3 match ban, then IMO Gibbs White should join him
    Haven't seen it, but rules are rules I guess.

Casemiro got sent off for getting someone round the neck, but it was clearly shown he only had is shirt, and both players were laughing/embracing.  Casemiro was pulling the guy away from trouble kicking off.  Premier League is not know for common sense

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Any top team moaning about injuries - pathetic! Pep/Man City more than any other. Great manager but he is embarrassing himself.
    tFB Trader
    Consistency of var eh ? - So Man U had a goal disallowed by var, as Hojlund was in the 'line' of the Burnley keeper - To be fair it was probably the correct decision - But it was exactly the same scenario from only a few weeks ago when Man City scored v Fulham and var allowed it - Even the Haaland spoke about it after the game and said it was the wrong call 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Consistency of var eh ? - So Man U had a goal disallowed by var, as Hojlund was in the 'line' of the Burnley keeper - To be fair it was probably the correct decision - But it was exactly the same scenario from only a few weeks ago when Man City scored v Fulham and var allowed it - Even the Haaland spoke about it after the game and said it was the wrong call 
    VAR is a crock of sh*te, we were better off without it. Refs also need more/better training.
    tFB Trader
    Highly debatable I dare say

Spurs fans will say one thing and the Gunners another 

I think his hand wasn’t in an unnatural place but it did stop the ball going in

some var decisions are obvious that one is not really about wrong or right and it could have gone either way 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I said before the game that I would be happy with a 2-2 draw. But given that Woolwich scored from a massive deflection and a ridiculous penalty part of me thinks we could have won. 
  • Was very lucky to get that pen, Romero's body positioning was natural. Coolly taken though by our B. But it felt like Jorginho wanted to gift them a goal for the VAR award and start back at square one!

Draw was a fair result as we weren't at our best. The game fizzled out once Maddison left the pitch and losing Rice was a major blow to us.

Our failure to sign a goalscoring machine upfront will cost us. You could see towards the end we didn't want to put the ball in the box as there was no one in there to aim for.

Our failure to sign a goalscoring machine upfront will cost us. 
    But didn't you buy Havertz???

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    Highly debatable I dare say

Spurs fans will say one thing and the Gunners another 

I think his hand wasn’t in an unnatural place but it did stop the ball going in

some var decisions are obvious that one is not really about wrong or right and it could have gone either way 
    I'm a Spurs fan and the second I saw it I thought it was a pen.
  • TTony said:

Our failure to sign a goalscoring machine upfront will cost us. 
    But didn't you buy Havertz???

Yeah but not to play upfront!
  • Arsenals transfer window was a bit barmy if you ask me. £70m for Havertz is mind-blowing and the Raya loan move was a strange one. Ramsdale had a great season last year, he was a bit shaky at times but he still has improvements he can make, and Raya just doesn't look like a massive improvement to me. So Arteta has potentially upset his squad, doesn't know who his first choice keeper is, and hasn't really made an upgrade there.

I think West Ham did it well the last few seasons. Fabianski was a great keeper for us but he was getting on a bit, so we signed a young keeper and gave him all the cup games. We went far in a few cups, played well in the league and both keepers got regular game time until Areola proved he wasn't going to make a tit of it, wasn't going to udderly screw it up, and they've kind of swapped roles and everyone appears happy.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Arsenals transfer window was a bit barmy if you ask me. £70m for Havertz is mind-blowing and the Raya loan move was a strange one. Ramsdale had a great season last year, he was a bit shaky at times but he still has improvements he can make, and Raya just doesn't look like a massive improvement to me. So Arteta has potentially upset his squad, doesn't know who his first choice keeper is, and hasn't really made an upgrade there.

I think West Ham did it well the last few seasons. Fabianski was a great keeper for us but he was getting on a bit, so we signed a young keeper and gave him all the cup games. We went far in a few cups, played well in the league and both keepers got regular game time until Areola proved he wasn't going to make a tit of it, wasn't going to udderly screw it up, and they've kind of swapped roles and everyone appears happy.
    Ok mate, don’t milk it……
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1