Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I had to Google who Dani Dyer 
    likewise
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    It is a really funny chant, but her dad (Danny) even gets involved, which is... weird?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    It is a really funny chant, but her dad (Danny) even gets involved, which is... weird?

Yeah that’s bizarre. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Can't beat deadline day. 

Two signings arrived at the training ground and due to be announced. 

Two players announced in last 12 hours.

Johnson off to Spurs to try and aide a move for Sangaré from PSV

And a few more rumoured before 11pm too. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    CHRISB50 said:

Yeah that’s bizarre. 
    Not as bizarre as naming your children after yourself…
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    mrkb said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Yeah that’s bizarre. 
    Not as bizarre as naming your children after yourself…
    Danny Dyer, the working man's Nigel Lawson.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    CHRISB50 said:
    munckee said:
    How the hell does Jordan Henderson get in the England squad and James Ward Prowse doesn't.  I think Sterling should be in too.
    And Bowen. He's on fire. 
    …And he’s shagging Dani Dyer. 
    It's a dirty job, but I guess somebody has to do it...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Anyone watch the Europa League draws?

West Ham have a tricky group but we should go through. Liverpool have basically got a free ride to the next round, and Brighton have the group of death!

Group A

Group B

Group C

Group D

Group E

Group F

Group G

Group H

• Not really sure on our transfer market strategy. Arteta's let 2 left-backs go out on loan, with Zinchenko prone to injury and also Tomiyasu, who else is there to cover? Kiwior for me isn't a natural LB. Hope Gabriel stays, looks like he's going to. The team has been reshifted round to make room for Havertz.

And again the lack of a goalscoring striker concerns me even when Jesus and Nketiah are both fit.
  • Top of the league!

The midfield seems much more balanced now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Top of the league!

Moyes out!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    TTony said:
    Top of the league!

Moyes out!
    makes me laugh that some WH fans genuinely want him out!
  • Zouma... meh! 

Good win for WHU, glad that Luton got their 1st goal. Maybe should get that pen as well?
  • Glad to see Everton actually pull a little bit of cash in, reduce the wage bill etc but can’t help feeling we are now really light in midfield and only a couple injuries away from disaster 
    Glad to see Everton actually pull a little bit of cash in, reduce the wage bill etc but can’t help feeling we are now really light in midfield and only a couple injuries away from disaster 
    Don’t worry, you’ll have the best stadium in the Championship.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    What a joke that Palhinha saga was. Why Bayern left it until deadline day to try and poach our best player I'll never know. Glad we held firm because a replacement wasn't forthcoming, we were short on numbers to begin with.
    I'm reasonably happy with Spurs' window.

Obviously losing Kane is a major loss - would have been great to see him, Son, Maddison and a couple of decent wingers all playing together - but the incomings will allow Postecoglu to shape a team into his style of playing.

New goalie, half the back 4 are new and looking far more solid, the midfield is completely new (Maddison in, Bissouma & Sarr back from injury and/or being ignored by Conte) with Bentancur also still to return from long-term injury.  That leaves a pretty solid bench too.

If Richarlison can get a few breaks to build his confidence, he should be good for 20 goals, and I'd expect similar from Son & Maddison, which is almost our total from last season.

Still appear to have Ndombelazygit on the payroll though.  Can't see him making the squad list, nor even getting a game in the U21s.  What a waste.
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    I'm reasonably happy with Spurs' window.

Obviously losing Kane is a major loss - would have been great to see him, Son, Maddison and a couple of decent wingers all playing together - but the incomings will allow Postecoglu to shape a team into his style of playing.

New goalie, half the back 4 are new and looking far more solid, the midfield is completely new (Maddison in, Bissouma & Sarr back from injury and/or being ignored by Conte) with Bentancur also still to return from long-term injury.  That leaves a pretty solid bench too.

If Richarlison can get a few breaks to build his confidence, he should be good for 20 goals, and I'd expect similar from Son & Maddison, which is almost our total from last season.

Still appear to have Ndombelazygit on the payroll though.  Can't see him making the squad list, nor even getting a game in the U21s.  What a waste.
    Some comment on Sky about a high number of 'unused' players who won't be part of a squad of 25 at Spurs - Not sure what happens next

We helped you out with 2 to go - Rodon and Spence (another high price Spurs paid for a Championship player and not used - £20 mill + £10 mill Jack Clarke - money to burn) 

So far Maddison looks like the signing of the summer 

We helped you out with 2 to go - Rodon and Spence (another high price Spurs paid for a Championship player and not used - £20 mill + £10 mill Jack Clarke - money to burn) 

Spurs' recruitment does seem to have been a bit random at times.  Feels like we're maybe looking for another Dele-style talent that can be developed into a brilliant player.

Not sure what's gone wrong with Rodon - he seems like a solid CB when playing for Wales, and Spence had a great season before we grabbed him for Conte to ignore.  I'm guessing that maybe it's a personality thing in training or the changing room and that they've just not fitted in with the rest of the first team group.  Who knows.

Clarke maybe had some games for Leeds where he played above his natural level and got a lot of attention.  We grabbed him, and then he found his natural level.  Sunderland.
    ;)
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

Spurs' recruitment does seem to have been a bit random at times.  Feels like we're maybe looking for another Dele-style talent that can be developed into a brilliant player.

Not sure what's gone wrong with Rodon - he seems like a solid CB when playing for Wales, and Spence had a great season before we grabbed him for Conte to ignore.  I'm guessing that maybe it's a personality thing in training or the changing room and that they've just not fitted in with the rest of the first team group.  Who knows.

Clarke maybe had some games for Leeds where he played above his natural level and got a lot of attention.  We grabbed him, and then he found his natural level.  Sunderland.
    ;)
    He (Clarke) does appear to have found his place/level - He had 2/3 good games for us, 2/3 years ago, then 'collapsed' on the touch line during a game and never really found it again - He is not a fast winger so not what many clubs want now - More like a 'poor man's John Barnes/Chris Waddle - Has skill to dribble but not sheer pace 

Will see how Rodon and Spence turnout - Rodon played 1/2 games so far and looks solid enough - Suspect Spence will be first choice for us at RB
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Spurs' starting line-up this afternoon;

Tottenham XI: Vicario, Porro, Romero, Van de Ven, Udogie, Sarr, Bissouma, Kulusevski, Maddison, Solomon, Son

Of those 11, just 3 (Romero, Kulusevski and Son) would have expected to start a game last season, with Porro playing occasionally.

That's some work that Postecoglu has done during the summer.
    Chelsea should really have strengthened the squad a bit in the transfer window ...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hell of a game by Spurs! Great to see Son have a confidence boost...

We nearly got first win of the season at Brentford but bees managed to score in injury time. Good draw really as we were lucky on couple occasions. Harsh few first weeks for Bournemouth, if west ham and Brentford are your easiest games you know it's hard start...
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    So it was Kane who was holding Spurs back all these years  :o  ;)
    tFB Trader
    Trying to work out why Newcastle’s 2nd kit reminds me of a national team 
    edited September 2023
    Now you've mentioned it.....
    Now you've mentioned it.....
    Is it Saudi Arabia?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Maddison is playing like he's been with the club for years, what a bargain he's turning out to be.

We have a team of players who are all comfortable on the ball. 

Reminds me of the teams we had under Keith Burkinshaw, slightly suspect defence but great going forward. 

We've got our Tottenham back. 
  • Blimey, Keith Burkinshaw! There's a name from the past. I think he managed my club West Brom not long after Ossie Ardiles went in the other direction - I was only about 7 or 8 at the time but I remember the names
    Bellingham scored again for RM, he is making this stepping it up a level look easy.