Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Even as a Spurs fan, I'm pleased to see that Sterling has started the season well. I think Poch will be very good for him.

A quality player that has never been held with the regard he deserves.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    After watching the match last night, I think it’s gonna be a long season for Luton. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    CHRISB50 said:
    After watching the match last night, I think it’s gonna be a long season for Luton. 
    They better get more than 11 points - I want that record to stay with my local sheep shaggers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    That'll do.

A better start to the season than I was expecting.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Tottenham, Tottenham, top of the league
    Tottenham, top of the league

That was quite nice to watch. Lots of passing, defensively getting better, just a bit wasteful in front of goal.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Spurs is clicking earlier than I thought, nice to see !

Playing good football too, double nice. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Spurs seem to ‘not’ miss Harry since he left. Maybe the other team members are now free to play for the team and not for the big man.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Man U 2-0 down against Forest after 5mins...
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Rocker said:
    Spurs seem to ‘not’ miss Harry since he left. Maybe the other team members are now free to play for the team and not for the big man.....
    I suspect, that they finally have a good manager again
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    Rocker said:
    I suspect, that they finally have a good manager again
    Don't get too excited, they were on exactly the same points this time last year!

https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/eng-premier-league-2022-2023-spieltag/3/
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    CHRISB50 said:
    They better get more than 11 points - I want that record to stay with my local sheep shaggers

11 points = 3 wins and 2 draws, 2 wins and 5 draws, 1 win and 8 draws or 11 draws

I can't see where those wins and draws are coming from for Luton?

I will go for 2 wins and 4 draws - 10 points
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    90 minute game though.

Well, 105 minutes these days....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Really bad 2 points dropped today vs Fulham. Worked hard to get 2-1 up then we throw it away as we typically do. Need to be far more defensively resilient if we're going to go one further than last season. Vieira made a good impact when he came on though so maybe he'll start to repay some of the transfer fee we paid for him. But I think he's better off suited to European games and certain opposition. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Really bad 2 points dropped today vs Fulham. Worked hard to get 2-1 up then we throw it away as we typically do. Need to be far more defensively resilient if we're going to go one further than last season. 
    Spoiler alert - you won't.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Hattigol said:
    Really bad 2 points dropped today vs Fulham. Worked hard to get 2-1 up then we throw it away as we typically do. Need to be far more defensively resilient if we're going to go one further than last season. 
    Spoiler alert - you won't.
    We'll see come April/May 2024! Still a few more days to get a striker in. But I do have the feeling its the same old Arsenal.
    Playing with Haverts is like playing with 10 men.  He seems to be 1 step behind everyone else.  Whatever Arteta is trying with him in the team, he is the weakest link there in midfield.
  • Playing with Haverts is like playing with 10 men.  He seems to be 1 step behind everyone else.  Whatever Arteta is trying with him in the team, he is the weakest link there in midfield.
    I still don't understand the signing myself, what is his role in the team? He's not a no.9, he's not a Xhaka type player.
    Playing with Haverts is like playing with 10 men.  He seems to be 1 step behind everyone else.  Whatever Arteta is trying with him in the team, he is the weakest link there in midfield.
    I still don't understand the signing myself, what is his role in the team? He's not a no.9, he's not a Xhaka type player.
    I don't think anyone does, i've watched a lot of pundits, even on ESPN and nobody has an idea or see what he adds to the team.  The best anyone can say is that Arteta is playing some 4D chess that we can't see...

I am not sure how long this 4D chess will last before he calls it quits on him.  Unless Haverts starts doing something good, he drags the team down.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Utterly unacceptable. Shambolic start to the season from Man U
    CHRISB50 said:
    That was always going to be the case. I have no expectation of anything other than last place. Just remember we are talking about an incredibly low budget team here. Lovely to be in the Prem though, I just hope that we can hold our heads up, lose with dignity and set the club up well for the future and our new stadium. Then return in the future ...
    edited August 2023
    axisus said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    That was always going to be the case. I have no expectation of anything other than last place. Just remember we are talking about an incredibly low budget team here. Lovely to be in the Prem though, I just hope that we can hold our heads up, lose with dignity and set the club up well for the future and our new stadium. Then return in the future ...

If they don't make loads of massive signings and then go down...and just stick within budget, they can just pick up the £160mil or something from being in the PL for a season and invest that wisely, and build a team that can challenge again next time, stronger, and may be next time have a stronger squad to beat out 3 other teams. 

Even the worst case scenario in coming last isn't too bad for a team the size of Luton.

It is certainly better than blowing it al wasting it and still go down and then with massive debt hanging over you like Derby County.
    tFB Trader
    Spurs fans - They look far more fluid and as though they've been let off the leash - But there is only one day in the whole of the season when you get really happy about sitting at the top of the league and that is normally a day in May
    tFB Trader
    Shrews said:
    CHRISB50 said:

11 points = 3 wins and 2 draws, 2 wins and 5 draws, 1 win and 8 draws or 11 draws

I can't see where those wins and draws are coming from for Luton?

I will go for 2 wins and 4 draws - 10 points
    It is more a case of making home a fortress against the other 10 teams in the lower half of the table - Easier said than done - Derby only won 1 game all season (v Newcastle )
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    scrumhalf said:

That was quite nice to watch. Lots of passing, defensively getting better, just a bit wasteful in front of goal.

West Ham, West Ham top of the league
    West Han top of the league ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited August 2023
    sev112 said:
    scrumhalf said:

West Ham, West Ham top of the league
    West Han top of the league

Aaahahaha!!!

A double rainbow round here and we finally beat Brighton! Maybe I should get a lottery ticket. 

Next up, Luton! 
    Spurs fans - They look far more fluid and as though they've been let off the leash - But there is only one day in the whole of the season when you get really happy about sitting at the top of the league and that is normally a day in May
    I'm really not bothered about "top of the table" right now, (and now its WHU anyway!) and fully expect us to finish outside the top4 come May.

What I am bothered about is Spurs playing decent football again.  The Mourinho/Conte seasons were dire.  Postecoglu has turned all that around in just a few weeks.  It's a hugely positive and encouraging start.

I would, or will, be happier when we get a reliable goalscorer in place.  That might be Son.  It might even be Richarlison with some confidence.  I doubt it'll be Scarlett, but it's an outside chance.  Or maybe we'll just carry with everyone scoring goals rather than relying on a main striker ...

Pretty sure that no one on in the UK would have put West Ham and Spurs top after 3 games! The joy of football, always full of surprises.

Next up, Luton! 
    You know that Luton are going to win one game, sooner or later, right?

:D
  • @Boromedic was very surprised to see your lot looking so jaded and devoid of confidence today at West Brom, your number 9 looked useful but your wingers seemed to take the wrong options and running into our defenders rather than away from them (where they would surely have beaten them for pace). Your defence looked as suspect as ours, what's happened? You guys looked great last season and with Carrick doing well as manager? Hope you guys get your groove back soon
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    It's our usual pattern unfortunately, start the season under last season's promising replacement after threatening the playoffs.... fall apart in the first few games, pick it up once we sack the guy and get a new manager, hahaha. It's great being a Boro fan, honestly ;)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.