Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    TTony said:
    I have a feeling its going to be a difficult season for Spurs. 
    As opposed to...? 
    Well yea. I hide my disdain for them here, and my glee at their hardship because I like @TTony and I think he's upset by all of this and I can see why.
    West Ham fan in "he's alright really" shocking admission re Spurs fan ... fan now banned from all local pubs.

TBH, I'm not upset (yet).  I'm a Spurs fan - eternal optimist - and until he's not on the pitch against Brentford on Sunday, I'm still expecting that he will be.

And even then, we've lost our #1 player before and managed to move on.  Arguably our best recent seasons (2nd in PL and then CL runners up) were after our previous #1 player had moved on to Madrid.  Perhaps we'd have won both with him, who knows.  Teams move on and £100m buys some decent players (unless you're Chelsea) to fill other holes in the squad.

You do know the transfer window doesn't close for almost 3 weeks, right?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Hattigol said:

Wherever he starts the season, he plays the season, so Sunday is the day.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    mrkb said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    There’s no here we go yet from Fabrizio Romano, but it’s reported on his page the two clubs have reached an agreement.  

Down to the player now apparently. 

If he does go, at least Spurs have Richarlison to rely on  :#
    They could bid £50m for Balogun!
    He seems to really want to leave, but not sure he’s that desperate! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    TTony said:
    Hattigol said:

How do you get to that conclusion?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Hattigol said:
    TTony said:
    Hattigol said:

How do you get to that conclusion?
    It's about the only thing that he's said about the situation.

Anyways ... now looks pretty likely that he'll be starting the season, and the next few, in Germanyland.

crying.jpg 44.7K
  • There's a chance Tuchel will be gone by the end of this season when you look at both his and Bayern's record of sticking to the plan.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited August 2023
    £110 mil for Caisedo !

That changes things for Liverpool IMO....
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    There is some mad stuff going on with this Kane transfer. Apparently Levy has forbidden Kane to get on the plane. How can he? He's not the police. There's reports of him changing the conditions of the transfer and just being difficult. But now he's apparently on his way for a medical.

What a saga. 
    £110 mil for Caisedo !

They could've got Bellingham. Caisedo is so overpriced it's ridiculous. 
    edited August 2023
    £110 mil for Caisedo !

They would not and could not have gone for Bellingham because

1 - At that point in time, they had Fab and Hend on their books and were not on their plans to sell them.
    2 - It's hard to compete with Real Madrid for the same money when it is Real Madrid, with CL football and Real Madrid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    £110 mil for Caisedo !

1 - At that point in time, they had Fab and Hend on their books and were not on their plans to sell them.
    2 - It's hard to compete with Real Madrid for the same money when it is Real Madrid, with CL football and Real Madrid.
    1. Yea that's a fair point actually. 

2. It appeared that Liverpool was actually one of his top choices and he may of signed if a real offer was put in even if they had a year out of the ECL. It's near his home town, top three coach in the world, huge club. What was missing was the offer or the conditions to make the offer. You wonder if they tried hard enough.
  • I’ll be delighted if we get Caiciedo. Exactly the type of player we needed. LFC needed a new midfield, and we’ll now have one. McCallister was under priced, so it evens out the high Caciedo fee between the two. Bellingham was never coming so pointless bringing that up. Bring on the new season! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I’ll be delighted if we get Caiciedo. Exactly the type of player we needed. LFC needed a new midfield, and we’ll now have one. McCallister was under priced, so it evens out the high Caciedo fee between the two. Bellingham was never coming so pointless bringing that up. Bring on the new season! 
    Yea it's in the past. 
    £110 mil for Caisedo !

2. It appeared that Liverpool was actually one of his top choices and he may of signed if a real offer was put in even if they had a year out of the ECL. It's near his home town, top three coach in the world, huge club. What was missing was the offer or the conditions to make the offer. You wonder if they tried hard enough.
    I don't deny that Liverpool is a huge club and he may have some personal affiliation with Liverpool, but it is Real Madrid.  Even though Spanish football as a whole isn't on the same level as the PL, Real Madrid as a club on its own is HUGE, it's why players go there, like Owen, McManaman, Ronaldo etc move there.

Even if a club in the PL bids for him, it takes a lot of clout to compete with Real, unless you have Pep as the manager.

Plus, Liverpool has no CL football this season and is not guaranteed CL football every season like RM is.

The stars were simply not aligned to sign Bellingham for Liverpool this summer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    Meanwhile, at Fulham I'm worried. Bassey and Jimenez look like good business but the squad is threadbare. It was always going to be tough this season, but without depth it'll be even tougher.

Couldn't even get any of those Saudi dollars, what with a derisory offer of £25m (or whatever it was) for Mitro.
    £110 mil for Caisedo !

So, is he three James Maddisons?

£110m seems like a mad price.  Got to admire Brighton's business dealings though - buy low, sell ridiculously high.
    TTony said:
    £110 mil for Caisedo !

£110m seems like a mad price.  Got to admire Brighton's business dealings though - buy low, sell ridiculously high.
    They have made about £165mil this summer selling players to Liverpool alone!

TTony said:
    £110 mil for Caisedo !

And watch, they'll get someone else in just as good or better. Amazing scouting network. They must play Football Manager. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dodge said:

will Kane tarnish his rep by leaving, maybe with some but most level-headed fans will respect his decision.

I can't see how any Spurs fan could say him leaving will tarnish his reputation
    Because football fans innit!!!
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Hopefully we will invest the Kane money wisely.. 3 weeks to buy a striker better than RIcharlison and a centre half better than Dier...

or do we limp on until we can buy Ivan Toney in January?? Celtic's Kyogo?

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited August 2023
    £110 mil for Caisedo !

I suppose relative to Madrid it's near his home town, but still not that near...
    In fact it's quicker to fly from Madrid to Birmingham than it is to drive from Anfield to Hagley
    Okay. Shall we do some predictions? Prepare for a long read, I understand if too long lol. 

Top 5 teams may get Champions League spots due to the changes to the rules regarding the Champions League format so I'm gonna do a top 5, plus relegation, plus a surprise team who will do well, plus the prediction for my team, my beloved West Ham of which I'm a season ticket holder, where I sit behind one of the goals. 

My top 5:

Champions: Man City - they're just too good and experienced. With the loss of a few key players you have to wonder if they will be able to do it again, but they're already strengthening and if they buy Paqueta from West Ham they have a very formidable team again, also I think that Kalvin Phillips will be used a lot more this year. 

2. Liverpool - A year out of the ECL with some easier fixtures early on in the Europa League will give them an edge, but it's whether they have the strength in depth following the loss of key, senior players. Nunez needs to crack on this year and I think they will. Caciedo will be a quality addition and I expect them to do well this year, until we knock them out of the Europa League ;)

3rd: Man Utd - They've strengthened well and got rid of some deadwood, with more to go it seems. Onana allows ETH to play his system, but he may be a bit accident prone. That centre circle lob last week was a horror show. This new striker may be exactly what they need, Mount is an underrated player and I think he will be very good for them. Rashford needs a consistent season. He was good for a third of the season last year but when he's firing he is amazing, so let's see what kind of season he has. 

4th: Arsenal. I think that they still lack strength in depth compared to other teams but have improved on this. I think they should of kept Xhaka for the seniority and may have a bit of a difficult season competing in the Champions League. But the signing of Raya will allow them to rotate well and like West Ham who had a small squad and done well with it in the Europa league and the Conference league, they can have dedicated keepers for league and cup competitions and each player can get 30-40 games each. Rice is an amazing player and while I think it will take a few games for him to fully get up to speed and change his style of play, he will justify the price tag and become a fan favourite and will be their club captain eventually. Timber is another excellent signing. The only question is, do they have the goals in the team? Jesus is a great player and I think he has 20 in him but they could lose Balogun who took Ligue 1by storm whilst on loan last year. 

5th. Chelsea. They could sneak 5th. They've looked excellent in pre season, and I think Poch is a great coach and I think that they'll figure out their best team and he will get them playing well. On paper they have a fantastic squad, but they just need to get rid of Lukaku and get a quality striker in, which I believe they'll do and will surprise people.

Outside favourites for 4th/5th. It's a toss up between Newcastle and Villa for me. Emery is a top coach and has been doing wonders at Villa and I think they're going to be a force. The signings of Torres, Tielmanns and Diaby are excellent additions and I think they will fly this season. I'd say they're favourites for the Conference League. But Newcastle are fantastic and Howe will manage the best teams in the world in the future. They have a real elite coach in him and they signed one of the hottest young strikers in Tonali. While I think the Champions League will stretch them, they'll still have a decent season and will qualify for Europe, whether that's in 5th for the Champions League or 6th in the Europa League.

Relegation candidates. 

Sheffield Utd, Luton, Burnley are obvious choices but Vincent Kompany has done a fantastic job at Burnley and I think they'll survive. I want Luton to survive but I don't think they've got it in them, unfortunately. I'd love to visit their ground for an away day and I'll be rooting for them as the leagues underdog.

I think Everton will do okay because Dyche is an excellent, dynamic manager who is given far too little respect, especially when you consider he got Burnley promoted year on year and then into Europe. He was sacked because he done too well and the expectations changed, when really Burnley should have expected relegation scraps every now and again considering the size of the club and the size of the other teams around them. But I think they'll survive. Wolves have been in midtable obscurity since their promotion and while they had a decent year last year, they'll be in the mix. Fulham have lost Mitrovic to the Saudi Player Hoover Consortium so I think they'll have a bad season but will survive. Spurs will struggle without Kane. I can see them being in the bottom half of the table, but I don't think they'll be in a relegation scrap as some have suggested. But losing him, in my opinion, has confirmed their relegation them from top 6 contenders to the outsiders of the likes of Brighton, West Ham, Villa etc. They could get 10th-6th or they could end up 12th.

Palace have lost their best player and talisman in Zaha so I think they'll be in trouble but Hodgson is a good manager and they'll survive. Brentford are without Toney so they'll struggle and it will be interesting to see if Mbeumo can fill those boots. I think he's a good striker. I feel Bournemouth treated Gary O'Neill awfully and I wouldn't be sad if they went down. I think Forest will struggle also but will survive. 

I'm going to go with:

18th: Bournemouth 
    19th: Sheffield United 
    20th: Luton. 

My surprise team is Everton. I think they'll end up 11th or 12th because Dyche is a great manager. They had poor managerial choices prior to him and bad luck, plus awful ownership but I think he'll rally the team. I am hoping Dele Ali will regain some of his form too after battling his demons. 

My predictions for my team: West Ham. 

Following the sale of Rice we have been held over a barrel but we've finally made some signings. There have been power struggles between our Technical Director Tim Steidten and Moyes, and Noble who all want different things. Steidten wants young, cheaper European footballers to follow a kind of Brighton model, but Moyes wants proven, British players to make a steely team with a British core who will have a strong sense of identity. I can see both sides but we also have the oldest squad in the league now I think. Lots of West Ham fans want Moyes out but he is the first coach since 1980 to deliver us a a trophy and even if the football was boring last year, we improved in the final third and then won a European cup! He deserves time with this new team. If Paqueta leaves it will be heartbreaking but he wasn't here to stay forever, we know this is a stepping stone for him. If he goes for £90m odd we could get two or three players in and we desperately need a striker after Scammaca left and we've only been left with an old Antonio and Ings who, while underrated is not going to deliver 10 goals a year. 

Signings. 

Edison Alvarez is an exciting DM and I hope he fills Rice's shoes even a fraction. 

JWP: He's decent but I think a bit limited, but he's experienced and a strong character so he'll bring a lot to that midfield. A good signing.

Maguire: Hmm. There's talks of making him out captain. I don't get this when he hasn't met the team, kicked a ball with them or even had a training session. I'd give it to Aguerd or Fabianski. I think he will suit our play style better than Man Utd and he's a good player. He will start, and we will have good strength in depth with him. A bit overpriced maybe but whatever.

I predict we get to QF in the Europa and 11th in the league.) 
    edited August 2023
    £110 mil for Caisedo !

I suppose relative to Madrid it's near his home town, but still not that near...
    In fact it's quicker to fly from Madrid to Birmingham than it is to drive from Anfield to Hagley

If you're flying door to door sure but he wouldn't be. Flying takes hours even if the actual flight is only two. You need to get to the airport, go through the security checks, wait for the plane, get on the plane, get off the plane, fly to Birmingham or Manchester, then drive to Birmingham or wherever it is. Even if you have a private jet it's still gonna be a 4-5 hour journey isn't it. It's not the same as an actual two and a half hour journey door to door by car. It's also physically draining flying isn't it. 

Being local would've been a plus but ultimately as others have said Madrid wad the realistic option. 
  • £110 mil for Caisedo !

If you're flying door to door sure but he wouldn't be. Flying takes hours even if the actual flight is only two. You need to get to the airport, go through the security checks, wait for the plane, get on the plane, get off the plane, fly to Birmingham or Manchester, then drive to Birmingham or wherever it is. Even if you have a private jet it's still gonna be a 4-5 hour journey isn't it. It's not the same as an actual two and a half hour journey door to door by car. It's also physically draining flying isn't it. 

Being local would've been a plus but ultimately as others have said Madrid wad the realistic option. 
    I think by leaving Birmingham at the first opportunity to go pretty far away, indicates his understandable preference to not being too local to Birmingham (or Hagley/Stourbridge where he was from I think), so I hardly think it'd be a draw for him to be fair compared to Madrid
    edited August 2023
    I think by leaving Birmingham at the first opportunity to go pretty far away, indicates his understandable preference to not being too local to Birmingham (or Hagley/Stourbridge where he was from I think), so I hardly think it'd be a draw for him to be fair compared to Madrid

We don't really know why he left beyond having an amazing opportunity that most would have taken. Maybe he wanted to get out of that area, but maybe it wasn't a factor at all and he misses home but is putting career first, as lots do. Who knows? Madrid is a irresistible lure In any case as you say and I'm sure he will take the world by storm there, but I imagine he will come to the PL one day. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    I think Kane to Bayern makes a huge amount of sense for Spurs if he really didn't want to stay. 100 mil for a player with 1 year, is good business.

Hopefully Richarlison regains his form under Ange and builds a partnership with Son. Conte was not a good manager for him...

Invest the Kane money better than was done with the Bale money and Spurs could have a strong season.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader

My top 5:

Champions: Man City - they're just too good and experienced. With the loss of a few key players you have to wonder if they will be able to do it again, but they're already strengthening and if they buy Paqueta from West Ham they have a very formidable team again, also I think that Kalvin Phillips will be used a lot more this year. 

2. Liverpool - A year out of the ECL with some easier fixtures early on in the Europa League will give them an edge, but it's whether they have the strength in depth following the loss of key, senior players. Nunez needs to crack on this year and I think they will. Caciedo will be a quality addition and I expect them to do well this year, until we knock them out of the Europa League ;)

3rd: Man Utd - They've strengthened well and got rid of some deadwood, with more to go it seems. Onana allows ETH to play his system, but he may be a bit accident prone. That centre circle lob last week was a horror show. This new striker may be exactly what they need, Mount is an underrated player and I think he will be very good for them. Rashford needs a consistent season. He was good for a third of the season last year but when he's firing he is amazing, so let's see what kind of season he has. 

4th: Arsenal. I think that they still lack strength in depth compared to other teams but have improved on this. I think they should of kept Xhaka for the seniority and may have a bit of a difficult season competing in the Champions League. But the signing of Raya will allow them to rotate well and like West Ham who had a small squad and done well with it in the Europa league and the Conference league, they can have dedicated keepers for league and cup competitions and each player can get 30-40 games each. Rice is an amazing player and while I think it will take a few games for him to fully get up to speed and change his style of play, he will justify the price tag and become a fan favourite and will be their club captain eventually. Timber is another excellent signing. The only question is, do they have the goals in the team? Jesus is a great player and I think he has 20 in him but they could lose Balogun who took Ligue 1by storm whilst on loan last year. 

5th. Chelsea. They could sneak 5th. They've looked excellent in pre season, and I think Poch is a great coach and I think that they'll figure out their best team and he will get them playing well. On paper they have a fantastic squad, but they just need to get rid of Lukaku and get a quality striker in, which I believe they'll do and will surprise people.

Outside favourites for 4th/5th. It's a toss up between Newcastle and Villa for me. Emery is a top coach and has been doing wonders at Villa and I think they're going to be a force. The signings of Torres, Tielmanns and Diaby are excellent additions and I think they will fly this season. I'd say they're favourites for the Conference League. But Newcastle are fantastic and Howe will manage the best teams in the world in the future. They have a real elite coach in him and they signed one of the hottest young strikers in Tonali. While I think the Champions League will stretch them, they'll still have a decent season and will qualify for Europe, whether that's in 5th for the Champions League or 6th in the Europa League.

Relegation candidates. 

Sheffield Utd, Luton, Burnley are obvious choices but Vincent Kompany has done a fantastic job at Burnley and I think they'll survive. I want Luton to survive but I don't think they've got it in them, unfortunately. I'd love to visit their ground for an away day and I'll be rooting for them as the leagues underdog.

I think Everton will do okay because Dyche is an excellent, dynamic manager who is given far too little respect, especially when you consider he got Burnley promoted year on year and then into Europe. He was sacked because he done too well and the expectations changed, when really Burnley should have expected relegation scraps every now and again considering the size of the club and the size of the other teams around them. But I think they'll survive. Wolves have been in midtable obscurity since their promotion and while they had a decent year last year, they'll be in the mix. Fulham have lost Mitrovic to the Saudi Player Hoover Consortium so I think they'll have a bad season but will survive. Spurs will struggle without Kane. I can see them being in the bottom half of the table, but I don't think they'll be in a relegation scrap as some have suggested. But losing him, in my opinion, has confirmed their relegation them from top 6 contenders to the outsiders of the likes of Brighton, West Ham, Villa etc. They could get 10th-6th or they could end up 12th.

Palace have lost their best player and talisman in Zaha so I think they'll be in trouble but Hodgson is a good manager and they'll survive. Brentford are without Toney so they'll struggle and it will be interesting to see if Mbeumo can fill those boots. I think he's a good striker. I feel Bournemouth treated Gary O'Neill awfully and I wouldn't be sad if they went down. I think Forest will struggle also but will survive. 

I'm going to go with:

18th: Bournemouth 
    19th: Sheffield United 
    20th: Luton. 

My surprise team is Everton. I think they'll end up 11th or 12th because Dyche is a great manager. They had poor managerial choices prior to him and bad luck, plus awful ownership but I think he'll rally the team. I am hoping Dele Ali will regain some of his form too after battling his demons. 

I did my predictions back on page 183 for the PL - Not to dissimilar to yours - I think Villa are a season ahead of Spurs and Chelsea who need to re-build - I think on the day, Chelsea will be a match for anyone but it will take a while, IMO, for Poch to put together a team that can challenge over the whole season - I bet they will entertain many games and annoy fans another 

Don't agree with you about Everton moving into the mid table zone - Fulham, Brentford, Spurs, Brighton and West Ham will be occupying those slots IMO - Safe from relegation but not matching the 'elite'

I hope Luton have some fun - Would be great if they find some strength/form at home - make it a fortress and maybe survive, just - But you fear for Sheff U, Luton, probably Wolves, with Bournemouth, Forest and Burnley + Everton not to many points above them 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Hopefully we will invest the Kane money wisely.. 3 weeks to buy a striker better than RIcharlison and a centre half better than Dier...

or do we limp on until we can buy Ivan Toney in January?? Celtic's Kyogo?

Past history suggests that this may not be the most likely scenario. We have a regrettable history of shelling out big fees for players who do buggerall.

If Son is injury-free and firing on all cylinders then we'll have plenty of firepower up front if we buy well. 

And one upside if Kane goes, we might get some goals from free kicks. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited August 2023 tFB Trader
    £110 mil for Caisedo !

I don't deny that Liverpool is a huge club and he may have some personal affiliation with Liverpool, but it is Real Madrid.  Even though Spanish football as a whole isn't on the same level as the PL, Real Madrid as a club on its own is HUGE, it's why players go there, like Owen, McManaman, Ronaldo etc move there.

Even if a club in the PL bids for him, it takes a lot of clout to compete with Real, unless you have Pep as the manager.

Plus, Liverpool has no CL football this season and is not guaranteed CL football every season like RM is.

The stars were simply not aligned to sign Bellingham for Liverpool this summer.
    What is both annoying and also wrong with the game now is the big clubs - They barely look at the potential of Bellingham (and similar) when they are 17 and still at Birmingham - They prefer to adopt a policy of 'my cheque book is bigger than yours' so they look at spending big when the players talent are more obvious 

I always use to quote Van Dijk as the example - There is no skill writing a cheque in excess of £70 mill - The real talent is spotting him before he went to Soton and even better before he went to Celtic 

The days have changed when the likes of Keegan were spotted putting out deck chairs at Skegness and playing for Scunthorpe - Brighton, Fulham and Brentford appear to be 'currently' far better at this - Whilst the likes of Ajax have such a policy set in stone
    scrumhalf 

We have a regrettable history of shelling out big fees for players who do buggerall.

I’m not sure Ndombelazygit did quite that much …

No team could lose Kane and not be a worse team for it.  But I think Postecoglou will build a different team, with more goals from more players, rather than being so reliant on one player.

Son, Richarlison, Maddison (free kicks) should all be able to get ~20 goals.  And if Skippy can get 2 against Barca …

Interesting to see whether Scarlett gets loaned out again, or whether he’s kept to build up some first team minutes from the bench or in the Carabao.  Not sure our loaning out approach has worked too well (Parrott), Skippy aside.