Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    @chrisbo - I know it won't work, but part of me thinks that each PL club and even the EFL should almost sponsor their neighbour, lower league club - ie Leeds help York - Manchester Utd help Rochdale etc etc - But who helps Exeter and other more 'isolated' clubs - But the bigger clubs have U21 and junior academy set ups that can help with 'on loan' players to their 'partners' etc etc - I dare say there are many logistical reasons why it won't work - But the principle of it is good
    That would mean Arsenal subsidising Tottenham ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    axisus said:
    I see these post saying 'We' and 'We've' and I think who the hell are they talking about? Maybe actually mention the team! I follow quite a lot of top flight football results but I don't see everything.
    Duly noted and previous post edited :) 
    I know who everyone supports in this thread so... 
    I know some, but not others/all, so can see where axisus is coming from

I recall on R5 football chat with Robbie and Chris, they get annoyed when a caller just speaks about United this and United that, as though there is only one united - Obviously referring to Man U, when even the likes of Hartlepool and Cambridge should be able to have a 'United voice' 

Does that mean the likes of Palace and Spurs are unique in that there is no other team that uses such terms
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    joneve said:
    axisus said:
    I see these post saying 'We' and 'We've' and I think who the hell are they talking about? Maybe actually mention the team! I follow quite a lot of top flight football results but I don't see everything.

I recall on R5 football chat with Robbie and Chris, they get annoyed when a caller just speaks about United this and United that, as though there is only one united - Obviously referring to Man U, when even the likes of Hartlepool and Cambridge should be able to have a 'United voice' 

Does that mean the likes of Palace and Spurs are unique in that there is no other team that uses such terms
    And Forest :) (Forest Green Rovers doesn't count as they're only ever referred to as "forest green" or "rovers"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    joneve said:
    axisus said:

Crystal Palace isn't a suffix though is it? I thought it was just a place.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    @chrisbo - I know it won't work, but part of me thinks that each PL club and even the EFL should almost sponsor their neighbour, lower league club - ie Leeds help York - Manchester Utd help Rochdale etc etc - But who helps Exeter and other more 'isolated' clubs - But the bigger clubs have U21 and junior academy set ups that can help with 'on loan' players to their 'partners' etc etc - I dare say there are many logistical reasons why it won't work - But the principle of it is good

But I dare say the current format whereby the PL provides funds lower down the league is their way forward - Plus what happens when a lower league club becomes more established - ie Bournemouth and even Brentford - Go back 10/20/30 years ago and such clubs were in the lower divisions - The reverse of that is the likes of Derby, Sheff Wed and last year Sunderland, become a lower league club, albeit with more resources than the likes of Burton Albion and Plymouth 
    Sure. Funding will always be an issue: Obtaining it, and disparity.

Dorking is a weird setup as the guy who owns it, is chairman, and manager.

They get loads of support (for a National League side) from outside the area due to a YouTube channel, Bunch of Amateurs run by Rich Phippen. For the last 3 seasons he's done a documentary series about Wanderers (I think I've mentioned it on here before). The channel gets loads of viewers, and lots end up supporting Dorking. They've just opened a digital membership scheme now so they are looking to monetise that support, although no idea how successful it will be.

They're moving from a purely part time basis to hybrid, where some players will be full time but others retain a day job. They actually had to release players at the end of last season as they couldn't work, and play football in a higher league, with the extra travel (and therefore time off) involved. It's such a shame as there are some talented guys who get left behind. It must be hard to leave a team moving on to better things.

This season the big financial challenge has been building a new away stand, to bring the ground up to National League standard. It has to be complete by the end of this month but it's almost done now. 

It's extremely unlikely that they will ever be able to compete with the likes of Wrexham and Notts County who have way more cash than everyone else. But I guess it's the same at all levels. It will never be a level playing field but definitely things can improve. I just have no idea how.

Most of the clubs with major financial issues seem to have shit owners. Look at Oldham over the years, and more recently Southend. Feel really sorry for their fans. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Do Spurs let Conte see out the season (which seems a bit pointless), or part ways now and let the new manager have a few games to see the current squad ahead of a summer shake-up?

Bye bye Antonio.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197

It's quite funny when Chris constantly corrects them - "you mean Manchester United" or "...Sheffield United".  A lot of the callers have no idea what he's on about, they just pause for a few seconds... and then carry on saying "United".
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    TTony said:
    Do Spurs let Conte see out the season (which seems a bit pointless), or part ways now and let the new manager have a few games to see the current squad ahead of a summer shake-up?

Bye bye Antonio.
    Hopefully he stays til Saturday and they play horribly :) 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Tottenham Hotspur.

Tottenham bloody Hotspur. 

We barely laid a glove on Milan, except for Romero who has the subtlety of an unguided missile.

We've spent money in players who haven't delivered the goods.

Our attack has lost its power. Son has lost form, Kulusevski hasn't been the same since coming back from injury, Kane keeps coming deep to get the ball but nothing happens, Lucas will be on his way soon and who knows why we signed Danjuna.

We've had Mourinho and now Conte, sacrificing good football for pragmatic but dull football that's supposed to bring us success. There are very vocal groups of supporters who claim we have to spend hundreds of millions to get sucess, to effectively buy trophies like City and Chelsea. We don't have the money. 

We are restricted in what we can do financially. I am reasonably certain that the covenants attached to the loans taken out to finance the stadium restrict what we can spend and how we can spend it, which is why the non-football activities are so important to increase EBITDA and give more funds to the football side of things. Breach those covenants and it will cost a fortune in higher interest rates on the loans. Too many fans fail to understand this. At the moment qualifying for the Champions League brings in more money than winning the Carabao Cup and is more financially sensible. 

But after recent shitshows against Sheff Utd, Wolves and Milan we'll be lucky to get into the Eurinal League. 

scrumhalf said:

But after recent shitshows against Sheff Utd, Wolves and Milan we'll be lucky to get into the Eurinal League. 

TBH, if we don't get into the Champions League for next season - and I reckon the chances of doing so are <25% at the moment - I'd prefer to skip European competitions completely next season.  The Thursday night games and travel to some remote locations are too disruptive.

Let the new manager focus on rebuilding the confidence and style of the team in the domestic competitions for a season.  Yes, revenues will take a hit for a year, but I'd not be planning on more mega-£m acquisitions anyway.

Spurs approach shouldn't (not just because it can't) be on buying a team.  We have to build.  Having invested so so much in the academy and training facilities, use that to develop the team, and give the younger players a clear route through to the first team.  And we never seem to buy very successfully.

I'd be having a "by mutual consent" discussion with Conte later this morning.  Paratici is probably gone (UEFA banned) too.  Bring Poch back, give him the rest of this season to work out who's who in the squad, who stays and who doesn't, the summer to really get their heads sorted out, and then roll on 2023/4.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Old ground but I believe Poch was unfairly treated; underfunded, undervalued, and grossly ignored. People will point at the results in his final season, but every team will suffer hangovers after such big failures.

Whilst he remains unemployed there will always be a cohort that will call for him to return, and every new manager will be compared to him; now is the time to exorcise this demon, for better or for worse.

Most fans have lost belief, and without belief there is little else.

Conte Out, Poch In!
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^
    Yup.
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

Spurs approach shouldn't (not just because it can't) be on buying a team.  We have to build.  Having invested so so much in the academy and training facilities, use that to develop the team, and give the younger players a clear route through to the first team.  And we never seem to buy very successfully.

It is a massive bone of contention of mine - Maybe the Man U class of 92 is the main exception, certainly for the number of players who broke through together - But so many clubs have great academy's but rarely do they find the appropriate players from within, to bring into the first team set-up - For every Phil Foden, who came from within, there are 100's of players now discarded and  playing in the EFL etc etc 

The likes of Ajax don't have a big enough league to sustain what they develop, so effectively they've become a 'selling club' - But look how well they continually find/develop and sell so many great youngsters - Most PL teams just discard  so many of their junior players

Do the likes of Spurs (you can add most PL clubs to that name) find the players coming through their ranks are not good enough - Not given chance to shine/develop - New managers needing instant success and demanding a spend spend spend culture - Would be interesting to see a list of PL signings, from all clubs, say between £20 and £50 million, over the last 10 years and to see how many we'd say are a success or total failure - I bet we've forgotten many names and where are they now 

I know Spurs have Kane (for now) - But where are the #9's today - Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, probably Newcastle all need/want a #9  - Shows what a great find Ivan Toney was - Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet if he'd have gone to an elite club he would not be there now - The likes of Brentford value him and make him central to their plans and have a culture that suits such 'finds' - I bet the elite clubs would have discarded him fairly quickly as they'd expect him to work to their system and not work to the players strengths 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    The elite clubs seem to be in a position to fund great academies,  but not in a position to fulfil the promise of  the talent. Success has to be sustained, so they buy ready made players
    It is a massive bone of contention of mine - Maybe the Man U class of 92 is the main exception, certainly for the number of players who broke through together - But so many clubs have great academy's but rarely do they find the appropriate players from within, to bring into the first team set-up - For every Phil Foden, who came from within, there are 100's of players now discarded and  playing in the EFL etc etc 

I think the main issue is the demand for immediate success.

We* don't allow the younger players the time to settle into Premier League teams, develop, build confidence and become genuine first-team players.  We* take the "safer" option of spending mega-£m on allegedly-proven players.

* By we, I think I'm generally referring to the fans, management and media analysts covering the top 6 (plus Chelsea) teams.

There are exceptions - a couple of "home grown" players in most PL teams - but the fact that they are exceptions rather than the norm is really the sad aspect for me.  The academies and training/development programmes really should be good enough to take a 10yr old with great potential, and bring at least half-a-team's worth of players through into a first team in 10 year time.

There's also a bit of chicken and egg.  It's difficult to break into the first team until you've got some decent experience (and the confidence of the manager, fans, media), but you only get decent experience in the first team.  Hence the loans - which really worked for Skipp at Norwich).  I'd look for the main PL teams to have an explicit "B" team playing in a lower Division to blood those players (there are complications with that, but it works abroad).
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    If I was a Spurs fan I'd absolutely get Poch back. It was better football with him, although there's no guarantees that it would work the same second time around. I think they need a fair few new players in, the team has a poor mentality, needs new blood.

Ditch Conte and get Harry back for the rest of the season! I love Harry!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Interesting hearing a French journalist this morning saying that the 11 year PSG project has failed. They went for 'superstars' over taking the time to build an amazing team and it just hasn't worked - bearing in mind that the prize they want is the Champions league. It just shows that ultimately the Team is the thing rather than individual talents.
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    Interesting hearing a French journalist this morning saying that the 11 year PSG project has failed. They went for 'superstars' over taking the time to build an amazing team and it just hasn't worked - bearing in mind that the prize they want is the Champions league. It just shows that ultimately the Team is the thing rather than individual talents.
    100% - look at how well Japan and Morocco did, with no stars, in the recent WC - They outperformed all the established nations like Brazil, us, Germany etc etc etc - And this year in the PL how well Brentford, Fulham and Brighton are doing with out egotistical policies

I'm glad PSG have failed to achieve their one and only aim - spend spend spend is not always an asset - Messi will probably be gone - Mbappe appears to have injury/fitness issues - It doesn't help that they are effectively in a one horse race each season - But France does produce some great players, so maybe PSG should try and develop the right game plan, the right mentality and less ego, from within - The ego runs from the top down to the likes of Neymar (less so Messi) 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited March 2023
    My team (West Brom) has an academy but largely I think we would be better served by stopping it and spending the money elsewhere. Any half decent prospects in there get poached by the Villa, Chelsea, Man City, and in one case Barcelona albeit I'm sure that was just a plan by our youth coach at the time who left shortly after to go to the Villa, who then signed said player. Barca still haven't paid us the meagre compensation for him, yet were happy to receive a bigger transfer fee when they sold him to Villa. He's currently playing at Salford in league 2.

Most of our youth players end up in lower leagues as they just aren't good enough or their mentality is weak - if they were good enough they'd have gone to a bigger club. The ones who do go to bigger clubs just disappear and eventually resurface on loan at a lower championship team or a league one side.

The only one who's really sustained a good level would probably be Chris Wood, who worked his way up well after we released him and had some good seasons with Burnley and then Newcastle I think? But for every Wood, there's a Saido Berahino who gets released every few months, or a Nathan Ferguson sat on the injury table at Palace, or various others who have just vanished at premier league sides or who are bang average in league one and league two.

Our current captain is an academy player, and our two goalkeepers are (one currently injured but was playing well up to that point). However the captain is really only a run of the mill championship level player, so is it really worth all the money spent? I don't think so.
    tFB Trader
    My team (West Brom) has an academy but largely I think we would be better served by stopping it and spending the money elsewhere. Any half decent prospects in there get poached by the Villa, Chelsea, Man City, and in one case Barcelona albeit I'm sure that was just a plan by our youth coach at the time who left shortly after to go to the Villa, who then signed said player. Barca still haven't paid us the meagre compensation for him, yet were happy to receive a bigger transfer fee when they sold him to Villa. He's currently playing at Salford in league 2.

Most of our youth players end up in lower leagues as they just aren't good enough or their mentality is weak - if they were good enough they'd have gone to a bigger club. The ones who do go to bigger clubs just disappear and eventually resurface on loan at a lower championship team or a league one side.

The only one who's really sustained a good level would probably be Chris Wood, who worked his way up well after we released him and had some good seasons with Burnley and then Newcastle I think? But for every Wood, there's a Saido Berahino who gets released every few months, or a Nathan Ferguson sat on the injury table at Palace, or various others who have just vanished at premier league sides or who are bang average in league one and league two.

Our current captain is an academy player, and our two goalkeepers are (one currently injured but was playing well up to that point). However the captain is really only a run of the mill championship level player, so is it really worth all the money spent? I don't think so.
    Leeds had the same issue a while ago with Barca - And prior to that with Chelsea - We received compensation from Chelsea for the poaching following a tribunal - Similar scenario as you said when an academy coach left Leeds to go Chelsea, then poached, two promising U18 players, one who had already played a few times for England U18, so good potential - Neither cracked the first team at Chelsea and last I looked one ended up at Carlisle

Sometimes they won't make it - Jack Clarke looked awesome at U18 and played a few games for Leeds when we were in the EFL with Bielsa - Local talk was that we'd found the next Eddie Gray - Then he had a mysterious break down on the pitch v Middlesborough - Never really did well at Leeds after that - Spurs paid us £10 million and he never did anything for them - Played a couple of cup games I recall - Went on loan a few times - Now at Sunderland and doing well for them - So maybe they need to find their level and maybe EFL is the place for Jack - Equally Joe Gelhardt now on loan at Sunderland - He looked full of potential as an impact sub for Leeds and scored some valuable goals in such a role - But looked lost and lonely when he started a game , so will be interesting to see how he does at Sunderland  
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    Christ Tottenham are woeful,
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    axisus said:
    I don't think it shows too much.  Real Madrid went the superstar route and made it work for them to win multiple titles.
    City have spent a lot but gone for high quality players who are perhaps not quite galacticos, but are very good players. They have built one of the best Teams in Europe, and still never won it.

Basically I think all it proves is nobody can guarantee winning it.  You get the best players with the best manager or the best team playing with the best manager but still nothing is guaranteed.

guitars4you said:

Jack Clarke looked awesome at U18 and played a few games for Leeds when we were in the EFL with Bielsa - Local talk was that we'd found the next Eddie Gray - Then he had a mysterious break down on the pitch v Middlesborough - Never really did well at Leeds after that - Spurs paid us £10 million and he never did anything for them - Played a couple of cup games I recall - Went on loan a few times - Now at Sunderland and doing well for them - So maybe they need to find their level and maybe EFL is the place for Jack - 
    IMHO, Jack Clarke would have done better staying at Leeds for another season or two, built up his playing experience and strength, and then maybe a move to a bigger (sorry) club would have worked out better.

As it was, he came to Spurs, wasn't ready for the first team, so had to mess about in the reserves/youth teams playing pretend football before getting loaned out to clubs lower down than Leeds.  What's the point of that?  Whatever the point was supposed to be, it didn't work out, and now he's at Sunderland (as you say).

Perhaps he'll reappear in the PL in a few years time, but the Leeds -> Spurs -> reserves -> loans -> Sunderland journey must have dented his confidence and impeded his development as a first team player.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Top club academies exist to provide a daily routine for the one player who might save the club £50 million in the company of those who will not make it at that level.

If it costs £10 million a year to bring on such a player every three years then it's sound financial sense to do so. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    TTony said:

I think the main issue is the demand for immediate success.

We* don't allow the younger players the time to settle into Premier League teams, develop, build confidence and become genuine first-team players.  We* take the "safer" option of spending mega-£m on allegedly-proven players.

* By we, I think I'm generally referring to the fans, management and media analysts covering the top 6 (plus Chelsea) teams.

To my mind, part of the problem at Spurs is that the club have bought into the idea that the "top 6" is a thing. Its not. Its a completely arbitrary number---why not top 7, or top 8---that perennial non-winners latch onto to make themselves feel good, and which the media bang on about to make the league seem more interesting than it actually is, but its just meaningless bullshit. 

Winning trophies is a thing to be proud of. 

Getting into the CL brings a shit tonne of cash, which helps you win trophies, so top four is a thing to be happy about, although even then massive clubs celebrating it is a bit much to my mind. 

Top six? Lol. 

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1625
    edited March 2023
    I am reasonably certain that the covenants attached to the loans taken out to finance the stadium restrict what we can spend and how we can spend it.

I'd be astonished if this was true.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    ennspek said:
    I am reasonably certain that the covenants attached to the loans taken out to finance the stadium restrict what we can spend and how we can spend it.

I'd be astonished if this was true.
    They have been picked up by the local council planning bods in the last few days so I wonder whether they will get any penalties for that?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64860233

Top six? Lol. 

The origin of that was probably the qualifying clubs for European competitions - CL & Europa League - accepting that there's the other European Conference thing going on now too.

Not necessarily the "top 6" placed clubs in the PL, just the 6 clubs who qualified for additional competitions as a result of their domestic performance.
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1658
    scrumhalf said:
    Top club academies exist to provide a daily routine for the one player who might save the club £50 million in the company of those who will not make it at that level.

If it costs £10 million a year to bring on such a player every three years then it's sound financial sense to do so. 
    And you can sell some of the players who don’t make it in the PL for a few more million. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I'm not sure what more Russell Martin can do to get himself sacked.  Maybe he should try commenting on the government's immigration policy.