Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    edited March 2023
    Bidley said:
    Mitrovic is a disgrace and not setting the right example to the young kids.  Hope he gets a lengthy ban.
    Of course he'll get a lengthy ban - he doesn't play for a 'big' club. You wouldn't have a player for a top 6 club get a ban more than the standard 3 games.

Bruno Fernandes is a prime example just the other week.
    Wrong opinion. Nothing to do with the size of the club. 

Fernandez was a different thing entirely. A prod in the back (although still wrong) is not the same as the Mitrovic aggressive and intimidating action.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4008
    Bidley said:
    Mitrovic is a disgrace and not setting the right example to the young kids.  Hope he gets a lengthy ban.
    Of course he'll get a lengthy ban - he doesn't play for a 'big' club. You wouldn't have a player for a top 6 club get a ban more than the standard 3 games.

Bruno Fernandes is a prime example just the other week.
    People keep saying this and it's getting a bit borrrrring.

It was widely documented that they didn't punish Bruno because the Linesman put his arm to stop him, and Bruno moved it out of the way, granted, quite snappy.  It was in the ref report that the linesman acted first, so they couldn't punish.

Saying it is the same as Mitro, who pushes, shouts, fingers in face is crazy to me.

I watched both of those games with my kids, and explained on both occasions that the players were in the wrong however, and had a chat about the refs and respect etc...  They are too young to care about bans
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Bidley said:

You wouldn't have a player for a top 6 club get a ban more than the standard 3 games.

Cantona.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    TTony said:
    Bidley said:

You wouldn't have a player for a top 6 club get a ban more than the standard 3 games.

Cantona.
    I was at that game and about 30 yards away from it and Cantona got off lightly .  He’d just been sent off for elbowing Richard Shaw in the face off the ball and was prowling round the touchline on his way off. Palace fans are a pretty loud bunch and imagine 30000 people shouting ‘off, off , off’ and you will appreciate you couldn’t hear yourself think let alone what anyone next to you was saying.

His defence that he heard one fan insult his mum/sister was absolute BS dreamed up by the club to try and mitigate his ban . The bloke was a C Unit and he should have been banned for longer.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TTony said:
    Bidley said:

Cantona.
    I was at that game and about 30 yards away from it and Cantona got off lightly .  He’d just been sent off for elbowing Richard Shaw in the face off the ball and was prowling round the touchline on his way off. Palace fans are a pretty loud bunch and imagine 30000 people shouting ‘off, off , off’ and you will appreciate you couldn’t hear yourself think let alone what anyone next to you was saying.

His defence that he heard one fan insult his mum/sister was absolute BS dreamed up by the club to try and mitigate his ban . The bloke was a C Unit and he should have been banned for longer.
    That really was an unbelievably insane moment! I was gutted that he did that as he was my fave player. I'm sure you are right about the BS explanation, but 9 months is a pretty hefty ban. There is no excuse at all for Cantona's actions, but it is worth noting that the 'fan' got a £500 fine and a year long stadium ban.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited March 2023
    axisus said:
    TTony said:
    Bidley said:

Cantona.

That really was an unbelievably insane moment! I was gutted that he did that as he was my fave player. I'm sure you are right about the BS explanation, but 9 months is a pretty hefty ban. There is no excuse at all for Cantona's actions, but it is worth noting that the 'fan' got a £500 fine and a year long stadium ban.
    Yup, tbh I don't know what he got fined for  - he verbally abused a player as part of a crowd of 30,00 doing the same . I think he was just the most conspicuous as he had run down the front of the stand to wish EC a safe journey back to the changing room.

Cantona's BS afterwards saying that 'thugs like him shouldn't be allowed to watch football and that is why I kicked him' is ironic bearing in mind he had just been sent off for elbowing someone in the face off the ball

Then again he says stuff like ' the seagulls follow the trawler' and the media lap it up like he's Rimbaud rather than a thuggish twat who happened to be very good at playing football
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Cantona's BS afterwards saying that 'thugs like him shouldn't be allowed to watch football and that is why I kicked him' is ironic bearing in mind he had just been sent off for elbowing someone in the face off the ball

Then again he says stuff like ' the seagulls follow the trawler' and the media lap it up like he's Rimbaud rather than a thuggish twat who happened to be very good at playing football

Agreed to be honest

Look at Deeney, nice face of BBC now after he retired, however:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-18584603

I'm not saying he shouldn't ever work again obviously, but he was known to be a total thug.  It was all forgotten because of football in the end

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    joeyowen said:

Agreed to be honest

Look at Deeney, nice face of BBC now after he retired, however:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-18584603

I'm not saying he shouldn't ever work again obviously, but he was known to be a total thug.  It was all forgotten because of football in the end

That's pretty standard for a chap from Chelmsley Wood. I had forgotten about that but do remember it now. 

Not sure Mitrovic's actions are as bad as Cantona though, silly though it was from him. But i suppose it makes the point that you can't do that to the ref, so I can see where they are coming from.

Just such a shame that it all went to pot after thy were doing so well

Not sure Mitrovic's actions are as bad as Cantona though, silly though it was from him. But i suppose it makes the point that you can't do that to the ref, so I can see where they are coming from.

Thinking back, I've seen plenty of situations over the years which I'd class as being worse than Mitrovic - plenty of examples of groups of players who'd encircle a ref and attempt to intimidate him.  Mitrovic's actions were hardly "violent assault".  I saw it as he touched the ref to try to stop him walking away, which was stupid, but hardly violent.

Though penalties are given for less contact, so perhaps that the new standard.

All that said, the current "respect the ref" and the reports of grassroots refs being hounded by players/parents/et al, means that there was always going to be a hefty additional suspension.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Cantona was a classic case of the shit hitting the fan.

The degree of force that Mitrovic used us irrelevant, it was an act of aggression towards the ref. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    The "problem" with what Mitrovic did is that its exactly that sort of behaviour that leads to grass roots referees being assaulted "properly". There has to be zero tolerance. 

I have been enjoying the bleating - - - presumably from fulham and liverpool fans - - - that fulham were somehow hard done by at the weekend. The ref got the whole thing absolutely spot on. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    TTony said:
    Bidley said:

Cantona.

I have to say I didn't see the Kung Fu kick on the ref from Mitrovic.
    edited March 2023
    The "problem" with what Mitrovic did is that its exactly that sort of behaviour that leads to grass roots referees being assaulted "properly". There has to be zero tolerance. 

I have been enjoying the bleating - - - presumably from fulham and liverpool fans - - - that fulham were somehow hard done by at the weekend. The ref got the whole thing absolutely spot on. 

No complaints about any of the decisions from the ref from me. I don't think anyone is debating that so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up.

But the double standards are pretty appalling. People are talking like it was attempted murder for goodness sake. Players like Fernandes get away with similar behaviour on the regular. There is no "zero tolerance".

The FA are buzzing about this because they get to make an example of a player who plays for an unfashionable team.
    edited March 2023
    Bidley said:

Players like Fernandes get away with similar behaviour on the regular. 

What examples do you have?

Edit: genuinely curious.  I watch every Man Utd game, and he's very mouthy agreed, but to my observations never touches the ref.  There was the single incident with the linesman, but again, it really wasn't aggressive
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    Bidley said:

No complaints about any of the decisions from the ref from me. I don't think anyone is debating that so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up.

But the double standards are pretty appalling. People are talking like it was attempted murder for goodness sake. Players like Fernandes get away with similar behaviour on the regular. There is no "zero tolerance".

The FA are buzzing about this because they get to make an example of a player who plays for an unfashionable team.
    "i don't know why you're bringing that up the idea of. Fulham fans saying they're hard done by..." 

followed two sentences later by 

"poor fulham are only getting punished because they're unfashionable" 

Nice :-D

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    As someone who has coached junior football for years, this needs to be stamped out straight away, Fulham or Man City , doesn’t matter, put your hands if a ref should be hammered. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I see Uncle Roy's return to Palace has been met with a tumult of joy.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    I think the FA have let it run amok in recent years,  take a steer from rugby and only the captain speaks to the ref.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Bidley said:
    TTony said:
    Bidley said:

Cantona.

I have to say I didn't see the Kung Fu kick on the ref from Mitrovic.
    Watch the Director’s cut ;)

I read your post as “You wouldn't have a player for a top 6 club get a ban more than the standard 3 games.” not “You wouldn't have a player for a top 6 club get a ban more than the standard 3 games for a similar offence”.

Bidley said

I really don’t think that’s true.

The FA have to respond due to the now much more publicised and recognised issue with referee abuse through junior and non-pro games. A blatant example of such abuse is going to get that response, whichever team the player plays for.  Add that it was a high-profile game, live on “normal” TV (ie a bigger audience too) and it’s a 10-game ban for any player from any club.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    Bidley said:

Fernandez shouldn’t have touched the linesman.
    But I don’t think they are comparable scenarios.

Try this, for example:-

Tap one policeman lightly on the back as you walk away.

Then pull another one towards you from the side by his arm and walk towards him waving your finger in his face and shouting at him.

See what the relative responses are.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    edited March 2023

As for supporting a ‘fashionable’ team and getting all the decisions.  Casemiro will have served 7 games banned for 2 fairly soft red cards.  

And Eriksson nearly had his career ended by Andy Carroll, and he didn’t get anything.
    Perhaps Reading are one of the fashionable clubs?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited March 2023

As for supporting a ‘fashionable’ team and getting all the decisions.  Casemiro will have served 7 games banned for 2 fairly soft red cards.  

And Eriksson nearly had his career ended by Andy Carroll, and he didn’t get anything.
    Perhaps Reading are one if the fashionable clubs?

Yep,  Eriksson, (also kinda Donny) and Garnacho have all been left on crutches after bad challenges from opposing teams, no one was even booked.  Factor in the weird handballs we haven't been given etc... it's mad to suggest we get any favours.  Casemiro is beyond a joke, considering what happened to Felix a day apart, with the same ref viewing.

This mantra that big clubs get the decisions is most likely by people who don't regularly watch them, but read more about them that other clubs because of how football is reported.  You won't read about a random Palace decision in their favour, but you will when it's a big club.
    As someone who has coached junior football for years, this needs to be stamped out straight away,
    No, it shouldn't be stamped out, it should be gently ushered away in an unthreatening way to a safe and happy place where it can reflect on its mistakes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Bidley said:

"i don't know why you're bringing that up the idea of. Fulham fans saying they're hard done by..." 

followed two sentences later by 

"poor fulham are only getting punished because they're unfashionable" 

Nice :-D

Erm, that's not at all what I was saying. And you know that. You mentioned the ref getting it spot on and Fulham fans feeling hard done by that. I've never said anything different, the ref was right to send everyone off and the anger from Silva and Mitrovic was odd to say the least. It's the fallout I find difficult to stomach. I wonder if I'm seeing something entirely different to everyone else.

Good point about the Andy Carroll, that was criminal. I guess he can't be banned because he wasn't penalised during the game (which is a stupid rule if that's still the case).
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Anyone bothering with the England v Italy game tonight - I probably will as little else on, unless I find a box set to finish off etc - But it will be a kind of half hearted attempt on my part - I'm kind of not bothered either way by these matches as they so often let you down 
    Didn't we just have some sort of big international competition ??
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Anyone bothering with the England v Italy game tonight - I probably will as little else on, unless I find a box set to finish off etc - But it will be a kind of half hearted attempt on my part - I'm kind of not bothered either way by these matches as they so often let you down 
    Mrs is out tonight, so I'll be putting my youngest to bed, then watching 2nd half of 24 hours in police custody, with my eldest.

My only hope for the football tonight is that no Arsenal players get crocked.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

I usually put it on in the kitchen and just see bits when I wander in and out. If I'm particularly interested I will have the volume at a level where you can just about hear the excitement of a goal from the other room.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    I normally don't really care either way even England play, however if I have a preference it would be for England to lose because generally the big tournaments are more interesting to me when England aren't there (or have been knocked out). I find the coverage to be (understandably) England biased so it's easier to just enjoy the football going on when that's not the case.

Also hoping for no injuries for either side, partly because I try to be nice, but also partly because injuries could disrupt the domestic season which is much more interesting to watch and don't want it to be decided by who has more key players injured
  • Anyone bothering with the England v Italy game tonight - I probably will as little else on, unless I find a box set to finish off etc - But it will be a kind of half hearted attempt on my part - I'm kind of not bothered either way by these matches as they so often let you down 
    Not really, I give less of a shit about England than Arsenal but still kinda glance over to check. Mainly following Saka and hoping he don't get injured.

In other news Mesut Ozil's retired aged 34. He had a good career and was immense in his first season with us. Sadly he never turned up in most of the games vs 'the top 6' and Emery froze him out before left. Odegaard's like the Ozil we wanted but better.