Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

I’ll be at the gym.  Suppose if it’s on the TV’s there I’ll have a look.  Might even listen on the radio, but only because I need something to block out the terrible gym music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Anyone bothering with the England v Italy game tonight - I probably will as little else on, unless I find a box set to finish off etc - But it will be a kind of half hearted attempt on my part - I'm kind of not bothered either way by these matches as they so often let you down 
    Not really, I give less of a shit about England than Arsenal but still kinda glance over to check. Mainly following Saka and hoping he don't get injured.

In other news Mesut Ozil's retired aged 34. He had a good career and was immense in his first season with us. Sadly he never turned up in most of the games vs 'the top 6' and Emery froze him out before left. Odegaard's like the Ozil we wanted but better.
    I noticed that yesterday - surprised he is only 34 considering he has probably not played in the PL/for Arsenal for 3/4 years, so a young age to be not really playing anymore - Part of a great German midfield in 2014 - Don't really know what went wrong at Arsenal but maybe sums up what is wrong at times with football, for one reason or another
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I'll watch the first half, and by "watch" I mean that it'll be one of the channels I'll be flicking through if I haven't dozed off. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Harry.  #1.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Joe Cole reminds me of when Dick Emery (one for the teenagers) dressed up as a young skinhead with Roy Kinnear as his dad.

Sooty would be a better pundit. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Great game by Rice and Harry - certainly the 2 stand out performances but 2/3 other good showings as well - Leeds are going to struggle to hang onto Gnonto, but should make hell of a good profit as/when he moves on - £5 million and what a buy
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    We out Italied Italy - got a lead and held on with time wasting , gamesmanship and some dogged defending too 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    How is Phillips getting a game? He’s clearly not match fit and was two yards off the pace in the second half… The Italian midfield had so much time and space at times.  Harrison Reed is surely a better option at the moment? I’m sure @Bidley will agree…
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    RobDavies said:
    How is Phillips getting a game? He’s clearly not match fit and was two yards off the pace in the second half… The Italian midfield had so much time and space at times.  Harrison Reed is surely a better option at the moment? I’m sure @Bidley will agree…
    He didn’t have a good game and should have gone   off at half time really. I think we didn’t have much on the bench, I’m not a big fan of Henderson but he would have played if fit I think.  

Bellingham started brightly but disappeared as the game went on. Rice had a cracker fortunately.  I was quite impressed with Stones as well. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Personally I wouldn't select players who aren't playing regular football. With sport you 'get in the groove' when playing all the time.

It amazes me that players choose a team like Man City, I'd prefer to star in a lesser team and play every week rather than warm the bench a lot. I still think that Grealish should have gone elsewhere.
    axisus said:
    It amazes me that players choose a team like Man City, I'd prefer to star in a lesser team and play every week rather than warm the bench a lot. I still think that Grealish should have gone elsewhere.
    Are you suggesting that Leeds is "a lesser team" than Man City???  Controversial ....
    :D
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    axisus said:
    Are you suggesting that Leeds is "a lesser team" than Man City???  Controversial ....
    I feel sorry for the lad - The Yorkshire Pirlo at Leeds plus a hero of the terraces, to a bench warmer - albeit a £ or two richer - Unlike many other footballers, he is fairly well grounded and not a knob head 

Makes you wonder where Madison and Ward-Prowse will end up next season 
  • TTony said:
    axisus said:
    I feel sorry for the lad - The Yorkshire Pirlo at Leeds plus a hero of the terraces, to a bench warmer - albeit a £ or two richer - Unlike many other footballers, he is fairly well grounded and not a knob head 

Both linked with Spurs... wont happen.. but we are crying out for them..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited March 2023
    Is it a delusion of grandeur for players like Greasy and Phillips going to Man City, or purely for the money/branding image etc?
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    axisus said:

Both linked with Spurs... wont happen.. but we are crying out for them..
    I think Ward Prowse will be a good option for Liverpool - Plus keeps the Soton to LFC conveyor belt in progress 
    Is it a delusion of grandeur for players like Greasy and Phillips going to Man City, or purely for the money/branding image etc?
    "or" ??

TBH, it must be tough.  They're professional footballers and must have some degree of drive and ambition and desire to "prove themselves on the biggest stage" (or whatever the current cliché is).

So when a "bigger" club comes calling, with the promise of bigger games (Europe etc) and the opportunity to raise your own profile, that's got to be tempting for many players.  Plus, the agents whispering in the ear so they get their 20% advising their clients appropriately.

But you'd think/hope there might come a time when those players recognise the mistakes made by the many who have preceded them, and opt for playing regularly rather than fading away on a bench.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Sorry to ruin the narrative but Grealish is having a great season at City. And Philips has been injured most of the season.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited March 2023 tFB Trader
    So is that the next Spurs manager now set in stone - the bookies odds are suggesting so
    tFB Trader
    Everton - Why does it take so long for the ruling body to respond to such issues that are seriously overdue 

This is not a dig from me at Everton and its fans - It is always the fans that suffer - Be it Luton, Portsmouth, Coventry, Derby and even Bury - But Everton's financial issues have been a strong topic for to long - I'd be surprised if it is even resolved before the end of this season - So last year a club gets relegated on the back of Everton's woe's and survival and maybe the same this year - It is a case that the authorities are taking to long to take appropriate action - Ditto that of Man City 

I dare say they are scared of taking an early course of action, only for the club, at the centre of such action, to then issue proceedings against the PL/authorities if the authorities have taken the wrong line - Yet it is fine for say Burnley, to be relegated last year, then have no course of action to take on the PL, on the basis that Everton's should already have had a points deduction and they should have been relegated

So to the PL - set out a clear agenda - Repeated/excessive loss of profit is an immediate points deduction - No excuses - Accounts sent late by any club, again immediate points deduction - End off 
    So is that the next Spurs manager now set in stone - the bookies odds are suggesting so
    I think it changes most days @guitars4you.

Presume betting is now on Nagelsman?  I'd still prefer Poch.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Everton - Why does it take so long for the ruling body to respond to such issues that are seriously overdue 

This is not a dig from me at Everton and its fans - It is always the fans that suffer - Be it Luton, Portsmouth, Coventry, Derby and even Bury - But Everton's financial issues have been a strong topic for to long - I'd be surprised if it is even resolved before the end of this season - So last year a club gets relegated on the back of Everton's woe's and survival and maybe the same this year - It is a case that the authorities are taking to long to take appropriate action - Ditto that of Man City 

I dare say they are scared of taking an early course of action, only for the club, at the centre of such action, to then issue proceedings against the PL/authorities if the authorities have taken the wrong line - Yet it is fine for say Burnley, to be relegated last year, then have no course of action to take on the PL, on the basis that Everton's should already have had a points deduction and they should have been relegated

So to the PL - set out a clear agenda - Repeated/excessive loss of profit is an immediate points deduction - No excuses - Accounts sent late by any club, again immediate points deduction - End off 
    I can see a transfer embargo to be honest, which would conversely work in Everton's favour as they won't be able to waste any more money on shite.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited March 2023
    If Nagelsman isn't good enough for Bayern is he good enough for us? Probably, but he'll have to bring the younger players on. Unless he can find a tactical shape that incorporates fifteen right backs in the squad. 
    IIRC, Nagelsman was touted as a possibility before we appointed Conte, or Santo or Moaniho or someone.

But he opted to stay in Germanyland for the Bayern job.  Which is fair enough.

But having not-succeeded there, it would be odd if the Spurs door was held open for him straight away now.  He should take some time to reflect and recover.  Spurs need someone that knows the PL (and half the squad!), is refreshed and ready to go, and has immediate support from the fans.

Imagine the noise at WHL (I know) when Poch walks out of the tunnel.
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    If Nagelsman isn't good enough for Bayern is he good enough for us? Probably, but he'll have to bring the younger players on. Unless he can find a tactical shape that incorporates fifteen right backs in the squad. 
    Beat PSG- Get to the 1/4 final so far of the CL, still in contention of a league title win and you get fired - tough world

Are you comparing Bayern Munich to Spurs ? - To be fair, Munich's issue is that it might not be a one horse race for the league titles as per PSG in France, but it is almost a closed shop 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537

Leeds fan shitting it that Everton stay up and Leeds go down LOL

lets be honest eh Leeds haven’t exactly been a well run club over the years, did you not go into Admin half way through a game as you knew you were going down and didn’t want the points deduction the following season? 
    Pot , kettle eh 
    tFB Trader

Leeds fan shitting it that Everton stay up and Leeds go down LOL

lets be honest eh Leeds haven’t exactly been a well run club over the years, did you not go into Admin half way through a game as you knew you were going down and didn’t want the points deduction the following season? 
    Pot , kettle eh 
    As I stated above, it is not a dig at Everton and I know it is always the fans that suffer, never the club - My dig is at the authorities and that is more than clearly mentioned/implied above, a few times as well - They have rules and guidelines in place so show the clubs they need to operate within the rules they have set out - If they don't, then punish accordingly and immediately - But how can Everton defend what is nearly a £400M  loss, over 3 years, which is getting close to 4 times above the stated guide line - The same goes for the Man City issue as well and indeed which ever club comes next - Fines are no good on their own as a) most overseas owned clubs can easily find such funds and b) in the case of a club with serious debt/trading loss issues, then a fine will only add to the trading loss the following season when they are then added to the following year end accounts - Transfer bans can be applied, or a limit on funds spent on such activities, but points deductions are what they need to pay attention to, so apply accordingly and immediately 

So I'm not talking about pots and kettles and making out one is mightier than the other - As it happens your little dig is only partly accurate - Yes we received a points deduction at the end of the season, when we went into admin, as you say we were already down, so the deduction did not matter - But we also got a 15 points deduction at the start of the next season as well, for the wonderful Mr Bates bringing them out of receivership in a manner that the league did not approve off - Think at the time it was the first time any club had been 'penalised' twice, with points deductions, for 'financial' issues within the same time period - I took it on the chin and ended up seeing us play Walsall, Macclesfield and many other clubs from the lower league during our time in the 3rd tier - We've had our ups and downs and I'm still a fan regardless  

• Didn't watch the Ukraine game but saw Saka's goal. What a shot. I'm wowed with how he uses his upper body to roll and turn/shrug off defenders twice the size of him. He must use a special technique or have a low centre of gravity, as he's quite hard to knock off the ball. Bit like Messi. Can ride challenges and twist and turn either way. Exceptional talent for his age.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Conte gone,

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64168691

Can't imagine anyone is surprised.
    tFB Trader
    Conte gone,

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64168691

Can't imagine anyone is surprised.
    I suppose the only surprise is why it took so long - So who next for Spurs and where does Conte go next

The plus point for a new Spurs manager is that he can see what he currently has, look at the systems/formation/combinations etc, so in a way he can use the rest of the reason as a kind of 'pre-season' so he can hit the start of the next season running - As against starting in July and only having a couple of weeks to prepare, adjust etc for the start of a new campaign

The negative is that Spurs will need/want to maintain a top 4 finish 
    Very surprised that Stellini didn't go with Conte. Given our record when he took over whilst Conte was indisposed this could well be a very positive step.

If you look at some of our (many, many) recent managers both Burkinshaw and Jol stepped up from the coaching staff to take control and we played well under them.

All the best to Stellini and Mason, maybe they'll inject a bit of fight into a team that hasn't exactly been full if leaders this season.