Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    I’d quite happily take Potter at Palace . Let’s be honest , Roy is hardly a long term appointment 
    Fight you for him.
    He aint worff it - you can 'av 'im
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited April 2023 tFB Trader
    So Chelsea pay Brighton £22m in compensation to get Potter, £60m in wages over his contract so that’s £80m it’s cost them for Potters 6 months tenure. On top of that it cost millions to pay off Tuchel (around 13 million) and Lampard. Then they spent three quarters of a billion in players yet they languish in the bottom half of the Premiership - then you wonder why most clubs operate at a lost 

Then add £25 million to Conte when he left in 2018
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    FastEddie said:
    Our manager, McKenna, at Ipswich will be a Prem manager soon. 
    He is very, very good.
    There are a few very good managers in League One but I fear that the Prem is more about posh frocks and £ so they will get over looked.

Still, Ipswich might be in the Prem in a year or two.....
    Thanks for beating Derby. 

softened the blow of being robbed all 3 points by a lucky deflection from Wolves' only shot on Target all fucking game on Saturday. 

although in fairness, more quality in front of goal would have seen us 3-4 goals up by that point anyway, so shouldn't have mattered. 

Just hope our mental owner doesn't do anything stupid like fire Cooper now. 

If we play like we played on Saturday, for the rest of the season, we will do enough to stay up (just), I think. 
    I can't wish you all the best for tomorrow night but I hope you stay up  - The Rams perfect party would be they get promoted and Leeds + Forest go down - So lets hope none of those 3 events happen 

Can't get tickets for tomorrow - Original tickets still applied after the cancelled game back in Sept - But have tickets on Sunday v Palace - 18 points up for grabs in April, for us, over 6 games so feel 10 points is essential across those games - Not sure 36 points will be enough this season - So either find a dodgy link to watch with all the buffering or can catch it on LUTV a few hours after the game finishes

Strong reports in the press/media that Everton will get a points deduction this season - Yet it wasn't discussed at all at the last PL meeting of his 'share holders'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    joneve said:
    FastEddie said:
    He is very, very good.
    There are a few very good managers in League One but I fear that the Prem is more about posh frocks and £ so they will get over looked.

softened the blow of being robbed all 3 points by a lucky deflection from Wolves' only shot on Target all fucking game on Saturday. 

although in fairness, more quality in front of goal would have seen us 3-4 goals up by that point anyway, so shouldn't have mattered. 

If we play like we played on Saturday, for the rest of the season, we will do enough to stay up (just), I think. 
    I can't wish you all the best for tomorrow night but I hope you stay up  - The Rams perfect party would be they get promoted and Leeds + Forest go down - So lets hope none of those 3 events happen 

Can't get tickets for tomorrow - Original tickets still applied after the cancelled game back in Sept - But have tickets on Sunday v Palace - 18 points up for grabs in April, for us, over 6 games so feel 10 points is essential across those games - Not sure 36 points will be enough this season - So either find a dodgy link to watch with all the buffering or can catch it on LUTV a few hours after the game finishes

Strong reports in the press/media that Everton will get a points deduction this season - Yet it wasn't discussed at all at the last PL meeting of his 'share holders'
    Wishful thinking @guitars4you :-) 

If Everton get a points deduction it will be appealed , also there are another 7 clubs all sailing very close to the wind on FFP so are they ALL getting points deductions ? 
  • CharlieShawCharlieShaw Frets: 347
    Being a Huddersfield fan I will be hoping for Leeds and Forest to go down  ;) how many players have Forest signed again?
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    edited April 2023
    Being a Huddersfield fan I will be hoping for Leeds and Forest to go down  how many players have Forest signed again?
    30. Which were required, unless we were expected to field a bunch of our under 23's to make up our 25 man squad, because 16 were out of contract, and we had 5 loanees in our starting XI last season, coupled with the fact we lost 4 players to season ending injuries between December and January and needed to replace them. 

Still the 3rd cheapest team valuation in the league  
    edited April 2023
    How’s Lewis O’Brien?  ;)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Being a Huddersfield fan...
    Is there any likelihood of Huddersfield wanting Karlan Grant back this summer? I and many other west brom fans would be more than happy to drive him there ourselves if that were the case. Your board will definitely feel they did a good deal flogging him for as much as they did :)
    Is there any likelihood of Huddersfield wanting Karlan Grant back this summer? I and many other west brom fans would be more than happy to drive him there ourselves if that were the case. Your board will definitely feel they did a good deal flogging him for as much as they did :)
    I never really liked Grant. He was completely out for himself. Lost interest in town once they were relegated back to the championship. Carlos Corberan on the other hand…
    joneve said:
    FastEddie said:
    He is very, very good.

You say that, but I think it will be. The bottom 8/9 teams all play each other between now and the end of the season, so it's not like there will be three teams going on a run of wins (or it's very, very unlikely). 

there's only been one time that the magic "40 points" has actually been required to be safe in the last 10-12 years I believe. I did some back-of-fag-packet calculations and reckoned (before the Wolves game) that we needed 10 points (3 wins and a draw) and it would probably be enough. 

I had us beating wolves and drawing to either Leeds or Villa this week...just means we've got to do it the hard way now and Beat Leeds (as I can't see us getting anything from Villa!). 

If we go with the same starting XI and play like we played on Sat, tomorrow night (instead of sitting back and being too cautious as we have all season away from home), I think we have a good chance of winning. 

You having Gnoto and a few other key players out will help too. 

edited April 2023
    How’s Lewis O’Brien? 
    He should be in our 25 man squad to be fair. In Hindsight, I think Cooper would have kept him in, due to the injuries we've had, instead of bringing in Shelvey. 

He was fantastic box-to-box early in the season, then fell ill with Covid and wasn't the same for a long time, but showed his flashes of brilliance. I was at our opening home game vs. West Ham and him and Orel Mangala formed an absolutely boss partnership in midfield. 

Hopefully he'll get some good game-time in the US and come back to us next season as a key member of our midfield. 

Toffolo played well on Saturday as well - just unfortunate for him that Lodi has been immense so far this season
    I reckon 36 points will be comfortably enough to stay in the premiership. Not even that.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    I never really liked Grant. He was completely out for himself. Lost interest in town once they were relegated back to the championship. Carlos Corberan on the other hand…
    Yes he is incredibly lazy and very much a poser. Also it seems that he needs one specific type of pass to him on the left wing in order to score. So if the opposition has a decent right back, he pretty much just stands on the left wing doing nothing.

Corberan clearly has a lot of qualities, but he's been unfortunate here in that he's inherited a very weak squad (with a few exceptions) and also had a fair few injuries. that said, he also kept playing our number 10 as a "false winger" and the same time as playing our much better winger as a "false 10" which I think cost us a few away points. He also seems to get the wingers to put loads of head height crosses in when our 5'10 striker is playing, then he brings on the big striker and we revert to tippy tappying it across the pitch 40 yards out. 

That said, he would need to be a miracle worker to get a silk purse out of a sow's ear, ie with the squad he's got i suppose he has to try and be a bit creative
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    FastEddie said:
    He is very, very good.

If Everton get a points deduction it will be appealed , also there are another 7 clubs all sailing very close to the wind on FFP so are they ALL getting points deductions ? 
    Sailing close to the wind is one thing - abusing it by nearly 4 fold is another - But yes if other clubs abuse FFL then give points deduction - The PL bosses need to impose the rules they set, be it Citeh or Everton - I believe Citeh have 101 offences to be considered by the PL - Everton have one - Not sure how anyone thinks there can be any appeal - The books/balance sheet are produced by Everton - The figures created are from them - So what can they defend all relevant info is within the appropriate figures

To be fair the PL need to look at the way Leicester recently wrote off £190 million worth of directors loan to avoid FFL

Arsenal, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Leicester, Manchester United and Tottenham – have all recorded heavier losses over the same one year period than Everton - But the Everton issue off loses is repeated over 4 nearly 5 years which is way over the £105 that the PL allow over 3 years 

Some punishment is inevitable - The only real issue is what will it be - points and/or transfer ban and/or fine - Then when will it be applied 
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    FastEddie said:
    He is very, very good.

You say that, but I think it will be. The bottom 8/9 teams all play each other between now and the end of the season, so it's not like there will be three teams going on a run of wins (or it's very, very unlikely). 

there's only been one time that the magic "40 points" has actually been required to be safe in the last 10-12 years I believe. I did some back-of-fag-packet calculations and reckoned (before the Wolves game) that we needed 10 points (3 wins and a draw) and it would probably be enough. 

I had us beating wolves and drawing to either Leeds or Villa this week...just means we've got to do it the hard way now and Beat Leeds (as I can't see us getting anything from Villa!). 

If we go with the same starting XI and play like we played on Sat, tomorrow night (instead of sitting back and being too cautious as we have all season away from home), I think we have a good chance of winning. 

I believe there is a chance Gnonto might be okay - But obviously even if borderline then never ideal - Wober certainly out - And Adams probably out for the rest of the season 
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    FastEddie said:
    He is very, very good.

I believe there is a chance Gnonto might be okay - But obviously even if borderline then never ideal - Wober certainly out - And Adams probably out for the rest of the season 
    OH FUCK OFF. He ran rings around Neco Williams in the reverse fixture and I don't think Serge is fit enough to re-take his place at RB. :-|

I fear if we don't win tomorrow, Cooper may be shown the door, which is absolutely the wrong decision. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited April 2023
    So Chelsea pay Brighton £22m in compensation to get Potter, £60m in wages over his contract so that’s £80m it’s cost them for Potters 6 months tenure. On top of that it cost millions to pay off Tuchel (around 13 million) and Lampard. Then they spent three quarters of a billion in players yet they languish in the bottom half of the Premiership - then you wonder why most clubs operate at a lost 

Does it work like that though? Is it not like gardening leave etc? If managers could get £60m in severance by acting up they'd all be doing it. Surely it must come with conditions like, if you get another job your payments stop, if you don't meet these target you will be sacked with reduced payout etc etc.
    joneve said:
    OH FUCK OFF. He ran rings around Neco Williams in the reverse fixture and I don't think Serge is fit enough to re-take his place at RB. :-|

I fear if we don't win tomorrow, Cooper may be shown the door, which is absolutely the wrong decision. 
    I thought he just got a huge new contract?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I felt sorry for Potter in that I don't think he was ever going to be the man for the job. He has no experience of having tons of expensive players thrown at him in one go and making that work. It was always a job for a major established manager. I don't feel sorry for him getting the sack though. I would happily retire on that stack of money. He had to go though, results were terrible.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    joneve said:
    FastEddie said:
    He is very, very good.

Sailing close to the wind is one thing - abusing it by nearly 4 fold is another - But yes if other clubs abuse FFL then give points deduction - The PL bosses need to impose the rules they set, be it Citeh or Everton - I believe Citeh have 101 offences to be considered by the PL - Everton have one - Not sure how anyone thinks there can be any appeal - The books/balance sheet are produced by Everton - The figures created are from them - So what can they defend all relevant info is within the appropriate figures

To be fair the PL need to look at the way Leicester recently wrote off £190 million worth of directors loan to avoid FFL

Arsenal, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Leicester, Manchester United and Tottenham – have all recorded heavier losses over the same one year period than Everton - But the Everton issue off loses is repeated over 4 nearly 5 years which is way over the £105 that the PL allow over 3 years 

Some punishment is inevitable - The only real issue is what will it be - points and/or transfer ban and/or fine - Then when will it be applied 
    i suspect it will be  a transfer ban rather than a fine or points deduction 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    joneve said:

I thought he just got a huge new contract?
    Contracts mean fuck all in Football as we all know. 

Genuinely no one who would come in and do a better job as Cooper understands the club top to bottom and has somehow managed to make us competitive (in fits and spurts) whilst nursing the largest injury list in the league (we had 11 first team players out at one point and have had 16 or 17 multi-game injuries since the start of the season)..not to mention the fact he's had 30 new players thrusted up on him and given the task to gel them. Not sure what more he could have done.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Twenty clubs, twenty managers. Each manager manages each club for two weeks, then they all switch. All managers are centrally contracted to the Premier League. 

No mid-season transfer window, but loans can cover injured players.

It'll never happen but it might be interesting. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader

Does it work like that though? Is it not like gardening leave etc? If managers could get £60m in severance by acting up they'd all be doing it. Surely it must come with conditions like, if you get another job your payments stop, if you don't meet these target you will be sacked with reduced payout etc etc.
    I dare say if he gets another job, then that will come into play - I dare say any 'pay off' will be spread over a long period - Meeting targets will be a good idea, but not heard of that - Could apply that to players, probably more so than the manager

Would have to google it, but somehow recall from a chat on R5 that Lampard got no compensation when leaving Everton has there was some clause regarding relegation zone in his contract 

I dare say if he gets another job, then that will come into play - I dare say any 'pay off' will be spread over a long period - Meeting targets will be a good idea, but not heard of that - Could apply that to players, probably more so than the manager

Would have to google it, but somehow recall from a chat on R5 that Lampard got no compensation when leaving Everton has there was some clause regarding relegation zone in his contract 
    This article is interesting.

https://sqaf.club/how-much-football-managers-paid-when-sacked/#:~:text=Football managers sign contracts with,paid when they are sacked.

It describes that the payouts aren't the entirety of the full potential contractual payout.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197

https://sqaf.club/how-much-football-managers-paid-when-sacked/#:~:text=Football managers sign contracts with,paid when they are sacked.

It describes that the payouts aren't the entirety of the full potential contractual payout.
    I have seen the contract of a former Everton manager (not Lampard), and there are clauses relating to amounts payable in the event of the "early termination" of the contract "at the sole discretion of the club".  They were nowhere near the full amount payable under the contract - less than a normal year's salary, in fact.

Of course not all contracts will be the same, but there will definitely be early termination clauses.
    tFB Trader

Makes sense - The last paragraph about Jose leaving Spurs to go to Roma  helps to sum up above - Spurs topping up his lower wage currently on offer via Roma, whilst the term of his original Spurs contract still runs  - As such both parties benefit 
    I know I’m not saying anything profound or original here, but money has ruined football. I used to be a season ticket holder but I hardly go now. Huddersfield’s brief spell in the premiership only furthered my disenchantment. And now the club might be taken over by a Trump supporting American. That could be the last straw!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    I know I’m not saying anything profound or original here, but money has ruined football. I used to be a season ticket holder but I hardly go now. Huddersfield’s brief spell in the premiership only furthered my disenchantment. And now the club might be taken over by a Trump supporting American. That could be the last straw!
    He'll change your name to the Yorkshire Yankees and y'all be in for one hell of a ride!!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    tony99 said:
    He'll change your name to the Yorkshire Yankees and y'all be in for one hell of a ride!!
    Make Huddersfield Great Again..!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Docoure was dumb, but Kane is just a rat, gets away with all kinds because he is England captain, fucking Crayon muncher 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter