Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  hard to know if that should be a lol or wow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CharlieShawCharlieShaw Frets: 347
    Another good win for Huddersfield. 3 in 3! Annoying Cardiff and Rotherham decide to start winning too! QPR are the really out of form club.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Congrats to Burnley - Nice quick swift return - Will we now see Company rise thru' the ranks and become manager of a 'bigger' club in due course - Be it PL or Europe
  • Dammit Southampton you couldn't help us out before tomorrow. We would have given Theo and Maitland Niles medals if we went on to win the title!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Guitars4you and CharlieShaw, when Corberan was at your teams, did your players get a lot of injuries in training? I know it sounds odd but we've had quite a few season ending injuries over the last few weeks and most of them have been in training. Clearly our players are working harder in training than on the pitch on Matchday
    In his first season at Town there was criticism that he overtrained players and there were a lot of soft injuries. Season before he came town had a lot of injuries under Cowley though so I was never totally convinced.
    tFB Trader
    Guitars4you and CharlieShaw, when Corberan was at your teams, did your players get a lot of injuries in training? I know it sounds odd but we've had quite a few season ending injuries over the last few weeks and most of them have been in training. Clearly our players are working harder in training than on the pitch on Matchday
    Probably a bit - Bielsa liked to work with a small first team and push them hard - Always talk that they would run out of steam before the end of the year - But on match days his team would inevitably out run the opposition ref appropriate stats - I can't recall who exactly was injured now as 4/5 years ago, but there were a few niggly muscle injuries from training via a heavy regime - Murder ball the players called it and they said it was tougher than a match 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    Never go back. FFL!
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Linesman in the Liverpool v Arsenal game has given Andy Robertson a sly elbow haha. Good coz he's one horrible little snide shit house that Robertson.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Lucky there are no Leeds fans on this thread ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited April 2023
    TTony said:
    Lucky there are no Leeds fans on this thread ...

As a Palace fan I'm keeping quiet as I don't want to curse anything . I was dreading the return of Roy, a decent competent man but one who in his last season seemed increasingly stubborn and defence minded. Lord knows what has changed - 7 goals and 6 points in 2 games
    It’s a shame Leicester seem determined to go down
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    If Arsenal fail to win the title I think that Emery could be in with a shout for Manager of the year. Amazing job turning Villa around. I have to say that it makes one doubt Gerrards credentials as a manager somewhat as well, he just couldn't get a tune out of them.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    Ramsdale
    for England. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Just looking at the run ins for the relegation zone teams.  palace seem to have a great line up playing most of the relegation teams. West Ham on the other hand seem to have to play all the top ones :( 

6 of the relegation teams okaying each other in the last day 
    West Ham are three points above relegation with superior goal difference and a game in hand though.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    West Ham are three points above relegation with superior goal difference and a game in hand though.
    West Ham and Palace will stay safe I think. As for the rest, take your pick.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Wow what a game. Disappointed to let a 2 goal lead slip as we were outstanding in the first 40 minutes. Totally controlled the game. Then Xhaka wound up TAA and sparked them into life. We held them off well for most of the 2nd half though Zinchenko got nutmegged for the equaliser. What a save (or two) from Ramsdale though, absolute worldies. Could be defining come end of season. I just wish'd Martinelli's ball to Saka on the late breakaway was better. 

If we can get something vs City and beat Newcastle away I think we'll be alright but its mightily unpredictable what's going to happen.
    tFB Trader
    Well phew to urghhhh in one game - I went to the match - First half and you'd have given MOTM to the Palace keeper - It could easily have been 2, maybe 3 nil and even 4 - Gifted a late first half goal then down hill from then onwards - They just wanted it more and out muscled (not in a dirty way) and out paced us - Talk about a game of 2 halves - Oh well you get these crap days at the office sometimes
    tFB Trader
    Wow what a game. Disappointed to let a 2 goal lead slip as we were outstanding in the first 40 minutes. Totally controlled the game. Then Xhaka wound up TAA and sparked them into life. We held them off well for most of the 2nd half though Zinchenko got nutmegged for the equaliser. What a save (or two) from Ramsdale though, absolute worldies. Could be defining come end of season. I just wish'd Martinelli's ball to Saka on the late breakaway was better. 

If we can get something vs City and beat Newcastle away I think we'll be alright but its mightily unpredictable what's going to happen.
    Was hoping you'd win - Had to record it and watch it late as coming back from the Leeds game - You never know which LFC will turn up at the moment - Thought VVD was a bit lucky with his booking as he clearly kicked him twice and the 2nd kicking was clearly aimed at stopping the player by any means possible - Ball was way past him by then 
  • Considering they always spank us at Anfield I'll take a draw but the way we played in the first half we definitely deserved more. Also with Salah's missed penalty we should consider ourselves lucky. I thought the ref was feeling the pressure from the fans more than us.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Good to see my team in top 3. I think NUFC fans appreciate whatever dirty funding there is, being invested into the structure of the club, be it youth training grounds, repairs to stadium and investment in womens football etc. Irrespective of the billionaire, oligarch etc.

We are very lucky to have howe and he is a shit polisher for sure, see bournemouth and still playing 60% of bruce's team.
    Isak is as close as a thierry henry as you will see im prem. Wise buying. Think NUFC are notts forest level of spend this season. 

Dont worry, be silly.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    edited April 2023
    Isak and Henry in same sentence ? Are you mental ? Not even close to the same level 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Isak and Henry in same sentence ? Are you mental ? Not even close to the same level 
    No im not. Henrys first seasons in arsenal are pretty much on par with Isak. Isak has a slightly better goal to appearance ratio in 22/23 than henrys early years at the arse when they were both at a similar age. Both read the game insanely well and skill levels over and above the norm. 

Dont worry, be silly.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited April 2023
    swiller said:
    No im not. Henrys first seasons in arsenal are pretty much on par with Isak. Isak has a slightly better goal to appearance ratio in 22/23 than henrys early years at the arse when they were both at a similar age. Both read the game insanely well and skill levels over and above the norm. 

There's more to football than stats alone. And 8 goals in 13 games does not make someone Thierry Henry. Far from it. He's a long way off a serious comparison to him. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Let’s face it, most fans would be happy with Putin running the club if he promised to invest heavily. The state of football today.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    So something kicked off with a Linesman and Robinson in the Liverpool/Arsenal game. Hard to see what happened from the distant clips, but I did laff a bit at Roy Keane/s blunt assessment:

"He should be more worried about his defending. Do you know what he is that Robinson, I’ve watched him a number of times, he is a big baby, that’s what that guy is. Just get on with the game and concentrate on your defending. He does grab the linesman first …."

Let’s face it, most fans would be happy with Putin running the club if he promised to invest heavily. The state of football today.
    I'd probably cancel my season ticket and watch from afar if we got taken over by the likes that Newcastle, City have. I've argued this quite heavily with the three mates I go to West Ham and you're right, they couldn't give a flying fuck who owns the club as long as we win. Winning at any cost just doesn't sit well with me. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    axisus said:
    So something kicked off with a Linesman and Robinson in the Liverpool/Arsenal game. Hard to see what happened from the distant clips, but I did laff a bit at Roy Keane/s blunt assessment:

"He should be more worried about his defending. Do you know what he is that Robinson, I’ve watched him a number of times, he is a big baby, that’s what that guy is. Just get on with the game and concentrate on your defending. He does grab the linesman first …."

It seems like Robinson angrily approached the linesmen, maybe even grabbing him. The linesmen lifted his elbow and hit him whilst walking away. He may have felt threatened and defended himself, and if so I think it's perfectly reasonable. But it may well have been an accident as he may have been doing a dismissive motion.

Robinson was acting as Keane hilariously said, like a big baby.

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    axisus said:

It seems like Robinson angrily approached the linesmen, maybe even grabbing him. The linesmen lifted his elbow and hit him whilst walking away. He may have felt threatened and defended himself, and if so I think it's perfectly reasonable. But it may well have been an accident as he may have been doing a dismissive motion.

Robinson was acting as Keane hilariously said, like a big baby.

*Robertson