Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I could accept this from Keane were it not for the fact that he spent a significant part of his career whacking players not entirely within the laws of the game. Was Alfie Haaland a big baby as well?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited April 2023
    axisus said:
    So something kicked off with a Linesman and Robinson in the Liverpool/Arsenal game. Hard to see what happened from the distant clips, but I did laff a bit at Roy Keane/s blunt assessment:

"He should be more worried about his defending. Do you know what he is that Robinson, I’ve watched him a number of times, he is a big baby, that’s what that guy is. Just get on with the game and concentrate on your defending. He does grab the linesman first …."

It seems like Robinson angrily approached the linesmen, maybe even grabbing him. The linesmen lifted his elbow and hit him whilst walking away. He may have felt threatened and defended himself, and if so I think it's perfectly reasonable. But it may well have been an accident as he may have been doing a dismissive motion.

Robinson was acting as Keane hilariously said, like a big baby.

*Robertson 
    Everyones autocorrect is having a mare, it seems. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    axisus said:
    So something kicked off with a Linesman and Robinson in the Liverpool/Arsenal game. Hard to see what happened from the distant clips, but I did laff a bit at Roy Keane/s blunt assessment:

"He should be more worried about his defending. Do you know what he is that Robinson, I’ve watched him a number of times, he is a big baby, that’s what that guy is. Just get on with the game and concentrate on your defending. He does grab the linesman first …."

It seems like Robinson angrily approached the linesmen, maybe even grabbing him. The linesmen lifted his elbow and hit him whilst walking away. He may have felt threatened and defended himself, and if so I think it's perfectly reasonable. But it may well have been an accident as he may have been doing a dismissive motion.

Robinson was acting as Keane hilariously said, like a big baby.

*Robertson 
    Everyones autocorrect is having a mare, it seems. 
    Nah, I'm just not a Liverpoo fan
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Good result and performance by Man City last night - For a while it looked as though both sides could win - But once they went ahead only one winner last night - Rodri's goal was a cracker 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Yeah, Bayern certainly had their chances but faded (and nearly disappeared) later in the second half. Great performance from City. Our chances of winning the Premier are looking thinner as Arsenal soldier on....so winning the Champs League would be a decent consolation. 
  • City aren't out the title race by a long shot. They still have to play us (Arsenal) at home and all it takes it for one loss somewhere to turn it on its head. I'm very worried we'll mess it up when it matters the most as we saw on Sunday we can start so well but not see out games. Plus you got some big Norweigan guy who just keeps scoring for fun this season.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    jellyroll said:
    ..so winning the Champs League would be a decent consolation. 
    Is the path to the final already determined?

For some reason, I'm thinking it's City vs Inter Milan in the semis (which City should win) and then Real Madrid in the final (just because).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    swiller said:
    Good to see my team in top 3. I think NUFC fans appreciate whatever dirty funding there is, being invested into the structure of the club, be it youth training grounds, repairs to stadium and investment in womens football etc. Irrespective of the billionaire, oligarch etc.

We are very lucky to have howe and he is a shit polisher for sure, see bournemouth and still playing 60% of bruce's team.
    Isak is as close as a thierry henry as you will see im prem. Wise buying. Think NUFC are notts forest level of spend this season. 

So, not much then? We've spent £165(ish)m on 30 players. Chelsea have spent more than that on less than 10 players. So when you look at it relatively, we've really not spent that much. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CharlieShawCharlieShaw Frets: 347
    £165 million ‘not much money’. Nuff said!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    I've been watching the recent Scotland woman's international friendlies. What a player Caroline Weir is - sublime first touch, close control, turns and dead balls. No wonder she's ended up at Real Madrid.

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    On 30 players? that's an average of around £5-£5.5m per player. Which is literal peanuts for premier league players. We had no choice but to buy a whole new squad and have spent within our means (using the money from being promoted)...

TTony said:
    jellyroll said:

For some reason, I'm thinking it's City vs Inter Milan in the semis (which City should win) and then Real Madrid in the final (just because).
    No, it would actually be City/Bayern playing the winner of Madrid/Chelsea in the semi. 

So, IF City were to get to the final, they would meet one of Milan, Inter, Napoli or Benfica. 
    City looking amazing now, hard to believe that they are not top of the prem. I fear that they will run Arsenal down 
    City aren't out the title race by a long shot. They still have to play us (Arsenal) at home and all it takes it for one loss somewhere to turn it on its head. I'm very worried we'll mess it up when it matters the most as we saw on Sunday we can start so well but not see out games. Plus you got some big Norweigan guy who just keeps scoring for fun this season.
    We’re not out of it but I’d say it’s 70/30 in Arsenal’s favour. A draw against City and the engraver can start work. 

Funny how all the Arsenal fans I know are so desperate not to jinx it….it’s quite endearing compared to fans of other teams who think they have “class” and some pre-ordained right to win things. 
    jellyroll said:
    TTony said:
    jellyroll said:

No, it would actually be City/Bayern playing the winner of Madrid/Chelsea in the semi. 

So, IF City were to get to the final, they would meet one of Milan, Inter, Napoli or Benfica. 
    wow - Bayern & Real Madrid is a tough path to the final, and looks like an easier challenge if you get there.

If you get past BM & RM, you might get IM in the final ...
  • jellyroll said:
    City aren't out the title race by a long shot. They still have to play us (Arsenal) at home and all it takes it for one loss somewhere to turn it on its head. I'm very worried we'll mess it up when it matters the most as we saw on Sunday we can start so well but not see out games. Plus you got some big Norweigan guy who just keeps scoring for fun this season.
    We’re not out of it but I’d say it’s 70/30 in Arsenal’s favour. A draw against City and the engraver can start work. 

Funny how all the Arsenal fans I know are so desperate not to jinx it….it’s quite endearing compared to fans of other teams who think they have “class” and some pre-ordained right to win things. 
    Basically if you win vs us and we don't recover from it then we've messed it up I reckon. Its a scary time to be a supporter - never ever in our wildest dreams did we expect to be in this position this season. I would have quite happily taken a Champions' League spot at the start. 2nd isn't a failure by any means but this is our best chance to actually win it. The squad has come a long way since last season. To be so close but yet miss out would be worst.
    tFB Trader
    jellyroll said:
    Yeah, Bayern certainly had their chances but faded (and nearly disappeared) later in the second half. Great performance from City. Our chances of winning the Premier are looking thinner as Arsenal soldier on....so winning the Champs League would be a decent consolation. 
    With some magical wish, that you are now guaranteed to win one trophy this year, I bet if you ask most/all City fans, players, the whole board etc they'd pick the CL - The trophy cabinet needs it - The backers certainly want it - And that would then give Scott Carson another CL medal without playing 

I'm hoping RM put on a great show tonight against Chelsea
    jellyroll said:
    so winning the Champs League would be a decent consolation. 
    I don't think the Champions league could ever be considered a 'consolation' prize!?!?!

The Man City owners would probably rather win that that the league, well, for that elusive first win.
    “City are desperate to win the CL” is a media driven story. It’s possibly/probably true of the owner and probably Pep but for me and pretty much every one of my “legacy fan” mates, it’s all about the Premier League.  

It would be nice to win CL once coz we’ve never won it but if I was offered to win the CL 3 times in the next decade or Prem League 3 times, I’d take Prem without a doubt. 

I love watching City playing other English teams. Whilst there’s a glamour about some of the European teams, there’s a superficiality about the European competition compared to the Prem. Maybe because of the old adage “the table doesn’t lie”….after 38 games week in, week out, the team at the top are there on merit, and not for any other reason. 
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited April 2023
    Interesting game this evening. Chelsea have spent £500m+ in two windows on a scattergun approach hoping that something will stick, and they are on their third manager, while Real Madrid have quietly gone about their business of rebuilding an aging team. Real's strategy has been to identify young players for a specific role, and slowly integrate them into the team. Watch out for Camavinga, he's still only 20 and already seems to be world class in two different positions.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Hard to see anything but a win for Real Madrid tonight. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited April 2023
    Rocker said:
    They're still in 2nd gear.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    joneve said:
    On 30 players? that's an average of around £5-£5.5m per player. Which is literal peanuts for premier league players. We had no choice but to buy a whole new squad and have spent within our means (using the money from being promoted)...

Yeah but…. Shelvey, Lingard, Wood, Ayew…. What were they thinking? Never mind transfer fees, that’s probably £30-50m per annum in wages alone.  It’s crazy recruitment - although I did notice that sporting director, Filipino Gerali got the boot yesterday, which is not hugely surprising. 
    Vintage65 said:
    Rocker said:
    They're still in 2nd gear.
    You have to feel for Chelsea though.

They can change manager all they like - what's anyone supposed to do with such a threadbare squad?  No talent to bring on from the bench, just a bunch of inexperienced £50m+ internationals  :( 

It's time the new owner put his hand in his pocket and brought in some new players to give the manager a chance.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    RobDavies said:
    joneve said:

Yeah but…. Shelvey, Lingard, Wood, Ayew…. What were they thinking? Never mind transfer fees, that’s probably £30-50m per annum in wages alone.  It’s crazy recruitment - although I did notice that sporting director, Filipino Gerali got the boot yesterday, which is not hugely surprising. 
    Amazing how Lingard and Deli Alli have become such liabilities - 2018 world cup players and regular starters - To barely getting a seat on any bench - They were both talented players a while ago - Is there an easy answer to their decline or other 
    RobDavies said:
    joneve said:

Amazing how Lingard and Deli Alli have become such liabilities - 2018 world cup players and regular starters - To barely getting a seat on any bench - They were both talented players a while ago - Is there an easy answer to their decline or other 
    It 'seems' relatively unprofessional in that they haven't fought to get back to the top but just sat back and accepted things, or maybe they never had the right mentality. I was never that convinced by Lingard at Man U. I could be way off base though, we don't know what mental struggles they may have. I'd like to see them both back to great form, but I wouldn't put money on it.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    RobDavies said:
    joneve said:

We dodged a bullet with him. He has so much talent and you don't want to speculate too much, but is it as simple as they don't have the motivation or are there external factors that are affecting their performances?
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Dele Alli strikes me as someone who has just fallen out of love with the game. No doubting the talent the lad had, but without that drive and determination, talent counts for  nothing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Dele suffered from several things.

There was a burglary/robbery that apparently shook him up badly.

He didn't have Christian Eriksen finding him with precise passes. Being part of a triangle with Eriksen and Kane made him the player he was.

When you're 21 and people say you are worth £100m, and it drives an ego, nothing good can come of it.

In his last couple of years at Spurs he must have known that he was playing poorly, he just seemed to lose his drive to succeed. 
    tFB Trader
    RobDavies said:
    joneve said:

We dodged a bullet with him. He has so much talent and you don't want to speculate too much, but is it as simple as they don't have the motivation or are there external factors that are affecting their performances?
    Kind of where I'm thinking, ditto Alli - But also wonder if they are asked to play a roll that doesn't suit them - I kind of see both as a 'lazy poor man's version' of Hoddle or Zidane - I don't mean in a crap way - But they would like to stroll around and do some 'fancy' work as and when it suits them - Most managers would not accept this in today's game - So maybe a conflict of interest and styles