Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Has there ever been a relegation zone like this before in the PL - 9 clubs all within a chance of finishing the weekend in the bottom 3 - 6 clubs in the relegation zone play each other this weekend - Will any break free from the danger zone

In fact 6 of the current bottom 9 clubs play each other on the last day of the season - will 36 points be enough to survive 

Buckle up but certainly not a journey that will be fun
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    What are you talking about it’s only 2 places up for grabs to go along with West Ham

(from a lifelong West Ham supporter)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    A touch embarrassing for LFC - Any a lack of any positive body language from them
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    edited April 2023
    A touch embarrassing for LFC - Any a lack of any positive body language from them
    Could've sworn you said they were back after they won the 7 up trophy
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    distant memory
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    tony99 said:
    distant memory
    true that
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Has there ever been a relegation zone like this before in the PL - 9 clubs all within a chance of finishing the weekend in the bottom 3 - 6 clubs in the relegation zone play each other this weekend - Will any break free from the danger zone

If you look at the points and games played, and assume that the clubs with games in hand win them (big assumption - if they were winning games, they'd not be down there), you end up with the following from 29 games played each ...

WHU   35pts
    Palace   30pts
    Forest   30pts
    Bmth   30pts
    Leeds   29pts
    Everton   29pts
    Wolves    28pts
    Leics   28pts
    Soton   26pts

So WHU would move up from 19th to 12th, but the rest are within just 4pts of each other!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    How the hell did Man U ship so many goals to the current useless Liverpool team!?!? At least they just had one bad week, compared to l’pool.

in other news, my dream of seeing Luton back in the top flight is still ticking over. They have the highest points tally in the championship over the last 5 games. Go Luton!
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    axisus said:
    How the hell did Man U ship so many goals to the current useless Liverpool team!?!? At least they just had one bad week, compared to l’pool.

in other news, my dream of seeing Luton back in the top flight is still ticking over. They have the highest points tally in the championship over the last 5 games. Go Luton!
    Damn it, we've slipped up again we're equal on points with you now, think we're both destined for Wembley :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• CharlieShawCharlieShaw Frets: 347
    Can’t believe Town (Huddersfield) beat Boro 4-2 today. I don’t like Warnock as a person but he gets results. I have mixed feelings about the prospective new owner too. But he might be taking over a championship club yet!
    Can’t believe Town (Huddersfield) beat Boro 4-2 today. I don’t like Warnock as a person but he gets results. I have mixed feelings about the prospective new owner too. But he might be taking over a championship club yet!
    Bastarddddddssssss, ;)

Fair play, Warnock is no fool, just didn't work out at Boro unfortunately. Hope we can turn over the Blades before the end of the season still. 

• CharlieShawCharlieShaw Frets: 347
    edited April 2023
    Boromedic said:
    Bastarddddddssssss,

Fair play, Warnock is no fool, just didn't work out at Boro unfortunately. Hope we can turn over the Blades before the end of the season still. 
    Warnock is a fool, just not when it comes to football. You don’t want to finished 3rd. That’s where Town finished last season
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    Great comeback by Cherries in 2nd half. We still stand a chance...
    Boromedic said:
    Bastarddddddssssss,

Warnock is a fool, just not when it comes to football. You don’t want to finished 3rd. That’s where Town finished last season
    Well, he's very much a polarising person for sure. I've never been his biggest fan but he helped us out, cleaning out some dead wood and starting again.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Like him or not, Warnock is a legend of a manager. Personally I like him.
    tFB Trader
    Great comeback by Cherries in 2nd half. We still stand a chance...
    Result of the day along with Palace amongst the teams in the danger zone - This is going to go down to the wire, just a case of how many of the current 9 teams in that danger zone will actually be safe come the last day - Currently, 6 clubs in the bottom 9, play each other on the last day 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    axisus said:
    Like him or not, Warnock is a legend of a manager. Personally I like him.
    Did you know his real name is actually Colin Wanker?

Warnock is just an anagram of it...

• Nice to see Jesus back scoring yesterday. And for Saka to get a rest. 9 games to go. Still remaining calm. Alot can change but there's that horrible feeling we'll mess up again as its probably our best chance to win it this season.

Brendan Rodgers sacked as well.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    West Ham useful 3 points
    i have a feeling our goal difference might just be the thing that could save us this year 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Rodgers out.  Potter out.  Looks like we're starting a managerial merry-go-round....
  • Wow Potter sacked too. To be fair he was always gonna struggle moving from Brighton to Chelsea. Bet Tuchel's grinning to himself a bit. Felt he was unlucky to lose his job after winning the Champions League. Whoever comes in has a big task.

Oh and nice one Newcastle!
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    I’d quite happily take Potter at Palace . Let’s be honest , Roy is hardly a long term appointment 
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 705
    Can’t see Potter rushing back into management. His payout is rumoured to be about £50 million
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited April 2023
    Wow Potter sacked too. To be fair he was always gonna struggle moving from Brighton to Chelsea. Bet Tuchel's grinning to himself a bit. Felt he was unlucky to lose his job after winning the Champions League. Whoever comes in has a big task.
    In retrospect sacking Tommy Tuchel seems like a big mistake.  But at the start of the season he seemed to be in a bit of a meltdown, losing his temper on the pitch and saying inappropriate things in press conferences.  Apparently there was a pretty major falling out with the owners over transfers and the general management/admin structure within the club.

Potter was given an impossible task though.  Tough job for whoever comes in.
    edited April 2023 tFB Trader
    Some of these current sackings appear to be crazy - B Munich a week or so ago, after a great round v PSG and still in all competitions - Conte I can understand as he had a go at everyone and everything - Rodgers, then maybe, based on their position and form, but they can still survive but who do they have lined up - Tuchel, earlier this season - At the time Chelsea were 6th and won the champions league - Reminds me of Poch leaving Spurs, after getting to the CL final - And now Potter - They are still in the CL, so not all doom and gloom - I hope the clubs regret these decisions and they all fail to achieve this years targets - Get some credibility back in the game and build something 

I saw the Chelsea game v Villa on Sat night - the issue that night wasn't Potter - It was the fact they could not score - Yes they made a couple of defensive errors, but they did not play crap - Chelsea put a better game together v Villa than Man U did v Newcastle 

Quick check but think of the 20 PL clubs then 10 have changed managers this season 
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 471
    Our manager, McKenna, at Ipswich will be a Prem manager soon. 
    He is very, very good.
    There are a few very good managers in League One but I fear that the Prem is more about posh frocks and £ so they will get over looked.

Still, Ipswich might be in the Prem in a year or two.....
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    tFB Trader
    FastEddie said:
    He is very, very good.
    There are a few very good managers in League One but I fear that the Prem is more about posh frocks and £ so they will get over looked.

Glad you beat Derby on Sat - Ipswich, like many other clubs currently outside the PL, they deserve to be up there based on history - Again like many other clubs they should not have 'fallen' as far as they did, but if it gives them a chance to re-build, then all well and good - I recall some good battles in the past with Leeds v Ipswich 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Season over for us at West Brom after Saturday I think - we had a really good chance to put play off pressure on for that 6th spot, with other results going against us if we could just have poked one lucky goal in against a very poor Milwall side. But we didn't seem to even get in their box in the second half (not least because they just decided to kick our players to the ground every time we got the ball). I don't think either team deserved anything more than 0-0, in fact if anything both teams deserved a minus one all draw. Milwall were poor and the dirtiest most cynical side we've seen this season (bear in mind we played against Colin's side the other week), and we were just poor and lacking any kind of urgency or talent
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    FastEddie said:
    He is very, very good.

Thanks for beating Derby. 

softened the blow of being robbed all 3 points by a lucky deflection from Wolves' only shot on Target all fucking game on Saturday. 

although in fairness, more quality in front of goal would have seen us 3-4 goals up by that point anyway, so shouldn't have mattered. 

Just hope our mental owner doesn't do anything stupid like fire Cooper now. 

If we play like we played on Saturday, for the rest of the season, we will do enough to stay up (just), I think. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    I’d quite happily take Potter at Palace . Let’s be honest , Roy is hardly a long term appointment 
    Fight you for him.