Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I'm done with this season. 
    You have my sympathy - Plus 100% know where you are coming from 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:

As a neutral, I want LFC to win on Sunday !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm thinking the definition of neutral is not this response ....
    One of my best friends is a Man U fan - As I point out to him, Man U keep playing my second favourite team
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    If Poch returns will he be Levy's bitch?

He would inherit a team which has flashes of brilliance but is too often workmanlike or just plain crap. 

He will need a Dele Alli and a Christian Eriksen. That won't be cheap. If Harry goes he'll need a new Harry.

And I cannot forget how crap we were in his last sesson. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    Huge fan of this mad stat

tFB Trader
    Huge fan of this mad stat

Yes I heard them mention that yesterday on R5
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    scrumhalf said:

He would inherit a team which has flashes of brilliance but is too often workmanlike or just plain crap. 

He will need a Dele Alli and a Christian Eriksen. That won't be cheap. If Harry goes he'll need a new Harry.

All true @scrumhalf - but also true whoever takes over.

I'd have more confidence in Poch developing and promoting younger players through the academy.  We spent millions on the training ground and academy - there must be some potentially damn good players in there who are currently getting kept out of the 1st team by mega-£m non-players (ie the workmanlike and just plain - expensive - crap).

Don't forget, that final season was post the CL final let down, and after 2-3 years of zero investment in the squad.  Any team would have been exhausted after that.  Since Poch left, it feels like we've spent more on paying off sacked managers than he had was given to invest in the playing team ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 860
    edited March 2023
    Can't believe the liverpool score. And fabinhio has gone from looking like carlton palmer to franco baresi in the space of a few games. edit: 7-0...bloody hell, who saw that coming. 
    tFB Trader
    Not often you see : -

The fab four
    The Famous five 
    the first set
    and the magnificent seven 

In the same match 

I had a bet for 3-0 and a red card - How Shaw did not get the red card is hard to believe 

For Spurs fans - Look behind you - They're coming 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    A8BAFF54-0CAA-4066-BC66-9BCAEB99B1ABgif

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Disgraceful from Man U. Shameful result against the old enemy. Oh well, that’s football sometimes. Next!
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Not often you see : -

The fab four
    The Famous five 
    the first set
    and the magnificent seven 

In the same match 

I had a bet for 3-0 and a red card - How Shaw did not get the red card is hard to believe 

You're not even close to neutral when it comes to them let's face it
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
       As a City fan, I was hoping for a draw. But I’ll take 7 -0. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

The way we’re playing, half the league is coming.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    scrumhalf said:

You can always get the old Dele back.  For about 20 quid.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    It certainly was a reality check today.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited March 2023
    Well, that fucked my fantasy football season. 
    tFB Trader
    Well, that fucked my fantasy football season. 

I would imagine that it is safe to assume no one had a bet on that scoreline 
    tFB Trader
    2 interesting games tonight/Wed in the CL - both teams 1-0 down so all to play for

No 2nd year blues for Brentford in the PL - Doing very nicely aren't they - Both Brentford and Fulham are showing many other 'bigger clubs' like Leeds, Everton, Leicester, Wolves, West Ham etc etc how to do it and at time splaying with style - Well done to both of them
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Incredible really….

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    We're second!

From bottom. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    edited March 2023
    I'll take that. Forest have been injury ravaged but should be in a better position after the International Break which will stand us in good stead for the final 10 or so games of the season. 4 wins/12 points from 13 games will keep us up I reckon.  

No 2nd year blues for Brentford in the PL - Doing very nicely aren't they 
    Which is a good thing to see!

I believe that they have a very different approach to many PL clubs.  Firstly, no real academy/youth set-up, and secondly they don't spend mega-£ms on (allegedly) proven / experienced players.  

Presumably that table is *net* spend given the position of the Manchesters.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Watched Dorking Wanderers vs Barnet last night at Meadowbank. 

Wanderers’ new signings are starting to make a difference. Finally looking like they belong in the National League.   

Worldie from George Francomb for the winner. 

Absolutely fucking freezing though. Couldn’t feel my feet after about 10 mins. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    CHRISB50 said:

Wanderers’ new signings are starting to make a difference. Finally looking like they belong in the National League.   

True fan watching lower league clubs - I've occasionally gone to watch Matlock and Buxton near me and its kind of fun - But as you say it can be blooming cold at times 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I see these post saying 'We' and 'We've' and I think who the hell are they talking about? Maybe actually mention the team! I follow quite a lot of top flight football results but I don't see everything.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    CHRISB50 said:

True fan watching lower league clubs - I've occasionally gone to watch Matlock and Buxton near me and its kind of fun - But as you say it can be blooming cold at times 
    Cheers Mark.

I’m a member at Arsenal, and they’ll always be my first love, but I do prefer going to non league. It's a very different experience to league football. Especially the Prem.

This 

Vs

This

Supposedly more like going to watch football used to be. I absolutely love it.

Definitely more of a feeling of a direct relationship with the club. 

If they can stay up it will be a great achievement. They're one of the only part time clubs in the National League. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    @chrisbo - I know it won't work, but part of me thinks that each PL club and even the EFL should almost sponsor their neighbour, lower league club - ie Leeds help York - Manchester Utd help Rochdale etc etc - But who helps Exeter and other more 'isolated' clubs - But the bigger clubs have U21 and junior academy set ups that can help with 'on loan' players to their 'partners' etc etc - I dare say there are many logistical reasons why it won't work - But the principle of it is good

But I dare say the current format whereby the PL provides funds lower down the league is their way forward - Plus what happens when a lower league club becomes more established - ie Bournemouth and even Brentford - Go back 10/20/30 years ago and such clubs were in the lower divisions - The reverse of that is the likes of Derby, Sheff Wed and last year Sunderland, become a lower league club, albeit with more resources than the likes of Burton Albion and Plymouth 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    axisus said:
    I see these post saying 'We' and 'We've' and I think who the hell are they talking about? Maybe actually mention the team! I follow quite a lot of top flight football results but I don't see everything.
    Duly noted and previous post edited :) 
    joneve said:
    axisus said:
    Duly noted and previous post edited :) 
    I know who everyone supports in this thread so...