Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• Great game to watch last night, Real Madrid always come up with the trumps in the CL. They never panic even when 2-0 down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Great game to watch last night, Real Madrid always come up with the trumps in the CL. They never panic even when 2-0 down.
    Ancelotti for you that. Best manager going.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited February 2023
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    It was a strange game. Lots of silly goals. Without mistakes, deflections it would be what, 1-3. 
    How on earth do you work this out? 
    1 each for the goal keeping errors and Benzema' shot was poor and even I'd have saved it - But the deflection beat the keeper - So 5-2 becomes 3-1 - But 5-2 is all that matters 
    Can't see how a team could let 3 goals in without making any mistakes. 

It'd make more sense to say "without the goals it would have been nil nil"
    By: A. watching the game and B. Counting. Silly mistakes and out of character goalkeeping errors, that would never occur to one of those goalkeepers let alone both in the same match cost each side goals, and the unforced errors resulted in a much higher scoring game than it would have otherwise been. Yes, what happened happened but in reality the score line is somewhat skewered by extreme irregularities.

Two world class keeper's making completely out of character mistakes is not the same as a defender mistiming a tackle or letting a ball run on to the attacker. And it's just an observation on the freak nature of that game, which if you watched you'd know it was. No need to overthink it.
    Actually sounds like you've overthought it
    Yea I have now because you've made us over explain this simple observation/throwaway comment on the freak nature of that game to you!!! 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited February 2023
    I think the Champions League almost seems like a different game at times to the Premier League, the elevated sense of occasion seems to bring about a rise in quality and attempts to entertain (rather than the often used league approach of "don't lose, try to win" type of thing). But with that comes a more intense pressure which clearly can even affect two of the best keepers around. And when keepers make mistakes or are bizarrely unfortunate, it usually ends up with a goal.

In other news, I wish we (West Brom) had  a goalkeeper who doesn't resemble a praying mantis. We are losing at home to Middlesbrough on Saturday and it wasn't that long ago we were both in the quagmire of the Championship relegation battle, however our run seems to have well and truly ended and the players have reverted to their usual type.

Just looked at the Premier table. Glad to see Fulham are up at that end of the table, last season's championship was particularly poor and was hard to tell how good the top two were (also because I only watched them both when we played them, and both were not great on those occasions) but they were clearly the absolute stand out team over the whole season and it looks like they've added to their game well and have picked up some deserved good results. Long may it continue.

@Bidley as the resident Fulham fan, what are your thoughts on Chalobah? He seems to have a good past record but has been a bit mixed for us so far
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    It was a strange game. Lots of silly goals. Without mistakes, deflections it would be what, 1-3. 
    1 each for the goal keeping errors and Benzema' shot was poor and even I'd have saved it - But the deflection beat the keeper - So 5-2 becomes 3-1 - But 5-2 is all that matters 

By: A. watching the game and B. Counting. Silly mistakes and out of character goalkeeping errors, that would never occur to one of those goalkeepers let alone both in the same match cost each side goals, and the unforced errors resulted in a much higher scoring game than it would have otherwise been. Yes, what happened happened but in reality the score line is somewhat skewered by extreme irregularities.

Two world class keeper's making completely out of character mistakes is not the same as a defender mistiming a tackle or letting a ball run on to the attacker. And it's just an observation on the freak nature of that game, which if you watched you'd know it was. No need to overthink it.
    Actually sounds like you've overthought it
    Yea I have now because you've made us over explain this simple observation/throwaway comment on the freak nature of that game to you!!! 
    Honestly I'm not sure why you bothered to watch it if you're just going to invent your own scoreline. Bizarre.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited February 2023
    tony99 said:
    Honestly I'm not sure why you bothered to watch it if you're just going to invent your own scoreline. Bizarre.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tony99 said:

I'll link you up to tonight's results later on.

Then you can log on and tell us all what the scores should have been.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited February 2023
    If you've got something you want to discuss with me, PM me. Otherwise seriously, let's just drop this childish nonsense now. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    If you've got something you want to discuss with me, PM me. Otherwise seriously, just drop this nonsense now. 
    That's all I'm asking you to do. Drop the nonsense scorelines and discuss the football like a grown up. Glad you've finally seen sense.
    edited February 2023
    What an absolute twat. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    What an absolute twat. 
    Come on I said discuss it like a grown up.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    @tony99 @TeleMaster Can you have this argument somewhere else please?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

Keeper mistakes are not that common really, so to get a few in a single game at that level with top keepers is actually pretty noteworthy.

The premier league have a table, so you can see errors are not as common as you might think.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/error_lead_to_goal

You can easily get a high scoring game without clear errors that lead to goals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited February 2023
    Yep. I agree. It is noteworthy. Wisdom given. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Mistakes from keepers are rare but deflected shots happens all the time.

So it’s still a 3 goals difference in my eyes.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143

The premier league have a table, so you can see errors are not as common as you might think.

Just like to point out, to everyone who says “Spurs will never win anything”, that we’re top - TOP - of that table.

:3 

errrrrrrr …..
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTony said:

Just like to point out, to everyone who says “Spurs will never win anything”, that we’re top - TOP - of that table.

:3 

errrrrrrr …..
    We might win the Championship next year! 
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

Keeper mistakes are not that common really, so to get a few in a single game at that level with top keepers is actually pretty noteworthy.

You can easily get a high scoring game without clear errors that lead to goals.
    It's absolutely noteworthy, but to try and determine a different scoreline  from it is ultimately folly.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited February 2023 tFB Trader
    TTony said:

errrrrrrr …..
    We might win the Championship next year! 
    Fight you for that !!!!!!!!!
    There's probably an obituary thread but worth mentioning in here: very sad about old Motty, the voice of footy for years.
    edited February 2023
    Be interesting to see what happens this weekend with West Ham V Forest @joneve

Rumour has it that this is Moyes last game with Benetiz ready to step in if we lose. I don't feel too confident about that tbh. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416

Rumour has it that this is Moyes last game with Benetiz ready to step in if we lose. I don't feel too confident about that tbh. 
    Our away form is pitiful and we have SO many injuries, so I’m less than confident and would bite your arm off for a point. 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    edited February 2023
    Now DeGea wanted to join Courtois-Allison club with his poor decision making but got away with it.
    Nearly cost Utd 2nd goal just before HT. 
    What a week for goalies.
  • joneve said:

Our away form is pitiful and we have SO many injuries, so I’m less than confident and would bite your arm off for a point. 
    Same on all points lol. 
    Now DeGea wanted to join Courtois-Allison club with his poor decision making but got away with it.
    Nearly cost Utd 2nd goal just before HT. 
    What a week for goalies.
    Ten Haag turning the mancs into some team. Looking the real deal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Man U certainly getting some mojo back - But Carthorse and Sancho offered nothing yesterday (again) 
    Man U certainly getting some mojo back - But Carthorse and Sancho offered nothing yesterday (again) 
    They are going to both score on Sunday now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Man U certainly getting some mojo back - But Carthorse and Sancho offered nothing yesterday (again) 

Do you think Weghorst is out of his depth?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1416

Do you think Weghorst is out of his depth?
    Might just be the adjustment period to the premier league. We bought in plenty of players from Ligue 1, Serie A, La Liga and the Bundesliga and all struggled in the first part of the season and looked out of their depth but have now found their feet and are, for the most part, playing well. 

Renan Lodi for example, is on loan from Athletico. I was ready to ship him back after 4-5 games as he  couldn’t defend his LB position for toffee against anyone. Something clicked in the Carabao Cup game against Spurs before the World Cup break and he’s since been the first name on the team sheet and I pray, if we stay up, we exercise the option to buy that we have in his loan contract. 
    edited February 2023
    Weghorst is doing the thing that he was brought in to do, which is to implement ETH's method of playing, pressing from the front, linking up play.  As a striker, he does need to score though but as long as he is doing the work in helping the team, especially when the team keeps winning, that part can be forgiven somewhat.

Plus, the alternatives may score more, but doesn't offer the other aspects of the game that ETH wanted first and foremost.