Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    edited February 2023
    It happened to Rangers. 
    No it didn't. 

Rangers were financially mismanaged and the club got liquidated. The newco then had to start again from the bottom---even then only after a revolt from other clubs at the leniency that the SFA and SPFL were hinting at---and even then they were given a helping hand by the authorities to start in the seniors instead of at the bottom of the pyramid.

Rangers have never been punished by the Scottish football authorities for their decade(+) of cheating the rest of Scottish football. The only authority that ever punished Rangers was HMRC*. 

I'll be astonished if City get any kind of real punishment tbh but here's hoping. I can't pretend, though, that I'm looking forward to all the other massive megabucks "oh our goal keeper only cost £70m, we're poor, us" teams pretending like City are the only team who have bought success. A plague on all their houses.

*oh, I forgot. The season that Rangers got liquidated, they got deducted a massive ten points for going into admin. After the league title had already gone, of course. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It happened to Rangers. 
    No it didn't. 

Rangers were financially mismanaged and the club got liquidated. The newco then had to start again from the bottom---even then only after a revolt from other clubs at the leniency that the SFA and SPFL were hinting at---and even then they were given a helping hand by the authorities to start in the seniors instead of at the bottom of the pyramid.

Rangers have never been punished by the Scottish football authorities for their decade(+) of cheating the rest of Scottish football. The only authority that ever punished Rangers was HMRC*. 

I'll be astonished if City get any kind of real punishment tbh but here's hoping. I can't pretend, though, that I'm looking forward to all the other massive megabucks "oh our goal keeper only cost £70m, we're poor, us" teams pretending like City are the only team who have bought success. A plague on all their houses.

*oh, I forgot. The season that Rangers got liquidated, they got deducted a massive ten points for going into admin. After the league title had already gone, of course. 
    Yea you're completely right. As I wrote it I remembered the details more. A simple case of misremembering!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Some excellent trolling of Leeds by the Twitter person at West Brom...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It happened to Rangers. 
    No it didn't. 

your right, and yet any Rangers fan you ever speak to will tell you they have 55 titles 

Deluded 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Lloris out for 6 weeks with a damaged knee.

Not sure whether that's a good, or bad, thing ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Man Utd v Leeds Utd tonight - Not even live game on R5 let alone Sky, Amazon or BT - You don't get many better viewing figures then this 

So Man U have no 'recognised' midfield tonight - Hard to believe so many injuries + suspension at the same time, even fringe players like McTominay and Van Der Beck not available - Leeds have no manager and no/little hope - So let's see how this pans out - Just seen the line up and still a strong midfield/front 3/4 for Man U
  • Man Utd v Leeds Utd tonight - Not even live game on R5 let alone Sky, Amazon or BT - You don't get many better viewing figures then this 

So Man U have no 'recognised' midfield tonight - Hard to believe so many injuries + suspension at the same time, even fringe players like McTominay and Van Der Beck not available - Leeds have no manager and no/little hope - So let's see how this pans out - Just seen the line up and still a strong midfield/front 3/4 for Man U
    talkSPORT have commentary.
  • Some finish from gnoto 
  • This could be a really good game now - perfect start for the neutral 

• Good game to be fair.  Thought we’d nick it in the end but every chance came to Fred and he was terrible.  Leeds were lively, energetic, pressing.  So happy coming back from 2 nil down.

Part 2 on Sunday!
  • Typical a team starts to play well or better once a manager is sacked.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416

Good game to be fair.  Thought we’d nick it in the end but every chance came to Fred and he was terrible.  Leeds were lively, energetic, pressing.  So happy coming back from 2 nil down.

Part 2 on Sunday!
    Fred only channels 70’s brazil when playing Forest, apparently :D 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Three shockingly poor VAR decisions. I cannot fathom the incompetence of those making them. Football HAS to be better than this …
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited February 2023
    The last game West Ham played against Chelsea there was a decision made where a goal was ruled out because of some minor contact from Bowen on Mendy, where he stayed down for 5 minutes like he had been shot and we lost. So, swings and roundabouts. 

VAR sucks though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    Three shockingly poor VAR decisions. I cannot fathom the incompetence of those making them. Football HAS to be better than this …
    The Arsenal v Brentford one was unbelievable e- Fully accept that an official might make an error on the pitch - he has one quick chance - Those in a nice cozy warm office can look many times, from many angles - No excuse for incompetence whatsoever - So fine for them to say we made a mistake - What happens if Arsenal loose the title by 2. points - Not an issue for the var team - Well done guys
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Was expecting to hear more about Spurs getting Kane'd or a Dier performance - It sounded and what I've seen that it could have been more than 4 

• Anybody watch the Leeds / Man U game?

Leeds looked good again.  Man U looked terrible, the scoreline flattered our performance.
    A draw would have been a fairer result.  If Leeds play like that every game I can’t see them going down.  That said, we are pretty average without Casemiro and Eriksen.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited February 2023

Anybody watch the Leeds / Man U game?

Leeds looked good again.  Man U looked terrible, the scoreline flattered our performance.
    A draw would have been a fairer result.  If Leeds play like that every game I can’t see them going down.  That said, we are pretty average without Casemiro and Eriksen.
    I did, the first half was really scrappy, dull and low quality football.  Man United was awful but somehow didn’t get punish.  McGuire was awful, so slow with his passing and invites pressure from opponents.

The substitutes changed the game for Man U, soon that changed happened with Martinez at centre back United looked better and with Shaw now on the left pushing more forward there were more threats from the left.   Which both goals came from that side.

As for whether Leeds will survive, I think Southampton is definitely down (they lost the will to fight I think), Bournemouth will go down with them and then it’s either Everton, Leeds or West Ham.

I have a feeling it’s going to be Leeds with them, I think Everton will be fine under Dyche and West Ham have more in the tank to get just more points than Leeds.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    I think a teeny bit simplistic, we are half way only, and NottmForest / Villa/ Wolves and are in there, as are Palace and Leicester - no-one plays to their current form consistently through the second half.  At least 2 or 3 of them (and EVE, WH etc) will have a loss of form
  • sev112 said:
    I think a teeny bit simplistic, we are half way only, and NottmForest / Villa/ Wolves and are in there, as are Palace and Leicester - no-one plays to their current form consistently through the second half.  At least 2 or 3 of them (and EVE, WH etc) will have a loss of form
    As a Palace fan I’d say I’m genuinely concerned . Since losing Gallagher we are a different team - our forwards are donkeys but we seem blessed with loads of quality ball carriers who get the ball into areas where you’d expect strikers to be.

• axisus said:
    The Arsenal v Brentford one was unbelievable e- Fully accept that an official might make an error on the pitch - he has one quick chance - Those in a nice cozy warm office can look many times, from many angles - No excuse for incompetence whatsoever - So fine for them to say we made a mistake - What happens if Arsenal loose the title by 2. points - Not an issue for the var team - Well done guys
    I think they missed two errors from what I saw! Could cost us later on. We weren't at our best but that decision was shocking for the equaliser.

City next on Weds, this will be a good game, they've closed the gap now so makes it more interesting.
  • axisus said:
    I’ve not seen it but City had the Rashford offside goal given so it probably evens itself out a bit.  Would be interesting to see who has benefited / lost the most from poor VAR decisions.  The Brentford one was pretty bad though, no idea how that wasn’t ruled out.

axisus said:

City next on Weds, this will be a good game, they've closed the gap now so makes it more interesting.
    Should be good, and it’s on Prime as well.  I’m going 2-2.  Always good to watch the 2 best teams battle it out!

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    We got lucky with that goal at Arsenal.  But it made up for the perfectly good goal we had ruled out earlier on in the first half.  

Swings and roundabouts, innit.  
  • Big game tonight, looking forward to seeing how we compete. If we can give them a game like we did in the cup I'll be pleased.

Will be interesting to see if Arteta goes with Martinelli or Trossard. Martinell's been off the boil recently so needs someone there breathing down his neck to keep him on his toes.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Rooting for an Arsenal win or if not a draw. I Sooooo want City to NOT win the title again. I don't honestly think Man U (my team) are in with a chance of the title so I have to hope it's Arsenal's. 

To be honest I think this year is Arsenal's one big shot at the title. I don't think they will even make top 4 next season ...
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Big game tonight, looking forward to seeing how we compete. If we can give them a game like we did in the cup I'll be pleased.

Will be interesting to see if Arteta goes with Martinelli or Trossard. Martinell's been off the boil recently so needs someone there breathing down his neck to keep him on his toes.
    Hopefully City tire themselves out/all get injured so they're forced to play the Youth Team against Forest on Saturday :D 

Means we might only lose by a goal or two :-|
  • axisus said:
    Rooting for an Arsenal win or if not a draw. I Sooooo want City to NOT win the title again. I don't honestly think Man U (my team) are in with a chance of the title so I have to hope it's Arsenal's. 

To be honest I think this year is Arsenal's one big shot at the title. I don't think they will even make top 4 next season ...
    Hope we don't bottle it like we've shown we can do esp last season in the last 4-5 games.
    tFB Trader
    Just found a great article about the estimated value of the owners of PL clubs

The owners of Newcastle sit around 620 billion $'s

The other 19 owners combined value is around 124 billion $'s

Makes you admire Brentford and Forest - https://www.si.com/fannation/soccer/futbol/features/every-premier-league-club-ranked-by-net-worth-of-owners

ClubEstimated combined wealth of owners

Newcastle

$620 billion

Man City

$22 billion

Chelsea

$15.8 billion

Arsenal

$12.9 billion

Aston Villa

$11.9 billion

Liverpool

$9.8 billion

Fulham

$7.9 billion

West Ham

$7.3 billion

Wolves

$6.9 billion

Tottenham

$5.8 billion

Crystal Palace

$5.5 billion

Man United

$4.7 billion

Leeds

$4 billion

Everton

$2.9 billion

Leicester

$1.7 billion

Bournemouth

$1.6 billion

Brighton

$1.3 billion

Southampton

$1.3 billion

Nottingham Forest

$620 million

Brentford

$300 million

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I remember the days when most clubs were typically owned by the local 2nd-hand-car-salesman-made-good chairman ...

Still, all that cash has made it a much better game bigger business.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    edited February 2023
    Look at spend, not wealth of owners. A completely different story.
    Think howe has done tremendously well and his spend is where the value is, both in terms of his own salary and what he has done with existing players, as well as buying up bargains especially in defence. 22/23..   Chelsea 650m, nufc 185m,. notts forest 184m , leeds 145m. etc etc.

Dont worry, be silly.