Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TTony said:

You do feel as though Man U is his best option right now 
    If he wants baubles (as the uninformed bloggers and pressers assume) the he’d have left in his mid-20s.  At 30, he’s leaving it a bit late to collect many trophies.  But, if that were his driver, he should go to a team that’s dominant in its own league, with a decent shout in Europe, with the funds to persuade Levy to sell.

Realistically, Real Madrid or PSG.  

Moving within the PL for baubles is trickier.   ManC would have been the best bet (but looks unlikely this season, and if/when Pep goes, who knows), but they preferred to buy Grealish last season, and Haaaalaaand this season.

If he wants the PL scoring record, then he needs to be somewhere where he’s picked, week-in, week-out, where he’s going to score 25+ each season.  His game time is far more guaranteed at Spurs than anywhere else, and the team is designed around him - he’d not get that anywhere else.

So, objectively and rationally, moving doesn’t make sense.

I hope.

yep.  totally agree..   he loves Spurs and I bet his greatest desire is to get them a trophy..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    I watched the Forest game and wondered who the goal was....I thought his face was very familiar and must have seen him in the Champions's League or some foreign cup....then I realised, PSG!

That is some recruitment, he is still really good as clearly shown in the day.  I think Forest might start getting more clean sheets now.

I think you are doing Dean Henderson a disservice.. he's been brilliant...
    I didn't say he isn't, but I also think Navas is a step up from Henderson.
    He really has been great this season....HOWEVER...he REALLY has to work on his distribution.

I'm convinced Navas was bought in for 2 reasons;
    1.) to cover Henderson whilst injured
    2.) to allow Henderson to learn from one of the best keepers of the last decade to help improve his game. 

with a view that IF we stay up, we put in a bid for Henderson in the offseason to make the move to Forest permanent. 

Absolute masterstroke by the club. 

And for what it's worth, Navas' performance yesterday was nothing short of incredible. He's had ONE training session with the team and doesn't speak great English (yet) and put in a performance like that. His movement and positioning was absolutely impeccable and despite taking a boot to the face from Big Willy, shook it off like it was nothing. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Navas was really good yesterday.  What really impressed was his positioning to close down the spaces, he also made a few really good stop.

I'd love Forest to stay up.  I shot a wedding last summer on the eve of their Wembley game and the groom is a Forest fan and he had a scarf on the dancefloor for a brief moment in the evening which I got a photo of.  The next day they won promotion after his wedding so I hope at least I captured a moment for him.

Anyway, I think the signing of Navas is far too understated and underrated.  The goalie rarely gets the headline but I think they will keep more clean sheets with him in goal.
    Navas was really good yesterday.  What really impressed was his positioning to close down the spaces, he also made a few really good stop.

I'd love Forest to stay up.  I shot a wedding last summer on the eve of their Wembley game and the groom is a Forest fan and he had a scarf on the dancefloor for a brief moment in the evening which I got a photo of.  The next day they won promotion after his wedding so I hope at least I captured a moment for him.

Anyway, I think the signing of Navas is far too understated and underrated.  The goalie rarely gets the headline but I think they will keep more clean sheets with him in goal.
    I was initially against it, due to his ridiculous wage at PSG (200k a week) - and the fact rumours were floating around about us getting Livakovic, the Croatian chap, who is a lot younger and still really, really good. 

But as I said above, I think there's a method to the madness - with the long term goal wanting to lock up Dean Henderson on a permanent, whilst giving him the tools to help him develop the weaker parts of his game by training with a 3x Champions League winner every week (which I still find it ridiculous to say, given the position we were in 18 months ago, rock bottom of the Championship, staring down relegation into League 1). 

I agree, he'll be worth quite a few points this season and was/is an immediate upgrade over Wayne Hennessey. 
    Also, Jesse Marsch has been sacked...christ. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    Yes, now look at what you have done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Funny call when the board just backed him so well over the last window

Tough call as the side was not playing bad 'attacking' football at times - But we were not getting the results and in the end that is all that matters - We did not serve to loose to Spurs, Villa or Forest, all recent losses, away from home and could well have snatched 3 points v West Ham and Brentford at home recently - Sometimes fine margins but many goals conceded where poor ones

So who next - 99.9% certain it won't be Lampard - That would be like giving the job to Brian Clough those many years ago - Hope it is not Benitez - Otherwise I'm unsure - Often it has been spoken about Carlos Corberan coming to Leeds as he was Bielsa's under study - But is he ready especially when we are in such a position 

Overseas options - Then I don't know - Ralph Hasenhuttl ?  
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    joneve said:
    I was sure Jones at Southampton would be next. He won't last long, 1 win in 9 I think. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TTony said:

You do feel as though Man U is his best option right now 
    If he wants baubles (as the uninformed bloggers and pressers assume) the he’d have left in his mid-20s.  At 30, he’s leaving it a bit late to collect many trophies.  But, if that were his driver, he should go to a team that’s dominant in its own league, with a decent shout in Europe, with the funds to persuade Levy to sell.

Realistically, Real Madrid or PSG.  

Moving within the PL for baubles is trickier.   ManC would have been the best bet (but looks unlikely this season, and if/when Pep goes, who knows), but they preferred to buy Grealish last season, and Haaaalaaand this season.

If he wants the PL scoring record, then he needs to be somewhere where he’s picked, week-in, week-out, where he’s going to score 25+ each season.  His game time is far more guaranteed at Spurs than anywhere else, and the team is designed around him - he’d not get that anywhere else.

So, objectively and rationally, moving doesn’t make sense.

I hope.
    Can't disagree with any of that.

TTony said:
    Oh dear, that little slap on the wrist that's coming is going to smart for a few seconds. None of this stuff ever seems to amount to anything.
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Would you bet the PL's legal team in a fight against Man City's legal team ? - Take into account time available and the unlimited fundings of one over the other

I hope, if it is proven to be the case, that the PL come out with points deductions - Fines to such power houses are petty cash and don't really hurt them - Points do hurt them - End off - And points at the start of a season, not say now, or in a few weeks time, when they may have already potentially lost the title - This will drag on for a while as it has already dragged on to get this far, looking at the dates applicable to these rules

The PL need to be strong on this as other clubs are already taking the  *iss, Chelsea as an obvious example, but not alone on this - And as I said, any punishment has to be points based at the very least - 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    axisus said:
    joneve said:
    I was sure Jones at Southampton would be next. He won't last long, 1 win in 9 I think. 

Hope he does. He's useless, but Manager of the year last season :) 

And I hope that he stays so that there's one less team to have to worry about in the relegation battle. 
    edited February 2023
    -30pts next season, -27pts season after that, -24pts the 3rd, continue for 10 seasons straight.

If they were found guilty for a decade of breaking the rules, then a decade of punishment seems fair.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    axisus said:
    joneve said:

Hope he does. He's useless, but Manager of the year last season :) 

And I hope that he stays so that there's one less team to have to worry about in the relegation battle. 
    agree and that was why I was hoping FFL would have stayed at Everton - Not because I dislike Everton, as I don't, just can't stand FFL
    tFB Trader
    -30pts next season, -27pts season after that, -24pts the 3rd, continue for 10 seasons straight.

If they were found guilty for a decade of breaking the rules, then a decade of punishment seems fair.
    I like your style - Not sure if they have the guts to do so, but see where you are coming from - But they would have to do likewise to other clubs, otherwise it is just a vindictive statement and leaves Man City open to press charges on the PL accordingly
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    As you'd probably expect, the powers to be have a press conference tomorrow and strong reports are already indicating a deal has been in place elsewhere - Two well placed 'reporters' have it that it will be Carlos Corberan - If it was Aug and time to bed in and develop then all well and good - But with 18 points on the board, not sure if it is to early a risk for both parties - He was always an option, one day to take over from Bielsa, even when Bielsa was at LUFC with Carlos as his #2 - Again reports are indicating that it

I can't see MB coming back as much as many fans would want him - Some bookies are suggesting Poch, but unless the 49ers are going out on a big limb, I can't see us affording such options and we are far to low in any re-build of a top flight club, to appeal to such star names

Stay tuned and enjoy the ride 

I like your style - Not sure if they have the guts to do so, but see where you are coming from - But they would have to do likewise to other clubs, otherwise it is just a vindictive statement and leaves Man City open to press charges on the PL accordingly
    They won't do it.  They don't have the guts to.

They would only do 1 off punishment and fine and City can withstand any kind of 1 off punishment, points deduction or fines.  It would be nothing compared to the decade long rule breaking.
    tFB Trader

They won't do it.  They don't have the guts to.

They would only do 1 off punishment and fine and City can withstand any kind of 1 off punishment, points deduction or fines.  It would be nothing compared to the decade long rule breaking.
    I dare say that the internal detail of such an investigation is so vast that it takes time to get to any prosecution stage - So it might be a while to get punishment this season - But you can imagine an easy option as a) points deduction, once they've lost the title, but not enough to see them finish outside a CL place coupled with b) a fine, that is petty cash to them - So all in all no pain to Man C, but the PL has been seen to be effective
    joneve said:
    As you'd probably expect, the powers to be have a press conference tomorrow and strong reports are already indicating a deal has been in place elsewhere - Two well placed 'reporters' have it that it will be Carlos Corberan - If it was Aug and time to bed in and develop then all well and good - But with 18 points on the board, not sure if it is to early a risk for both parties - He was always an option, one day to take over from Bielsa, even when Bielsa was at LUFC with Carlos as his #2 - Again reports are indicating that it

I can't see MB coming back as much as many fans would want him - Some bookies are suggesting Poch, but unless the 49ers are going out on a big limb, I can't see us affording such options and we are far to low in any re-build of a top flight club, to appeal to such star names

Wouldn't be unhappy with that. He's already been fired from Huddersfield and Olympiacos in the last 8 months. Doing a good job at West Brom, so would be a shame for them - but I'm not sure now's the right time to bring him in for a Relegation scrap. 

I think he's still bitter about us completely decimating Huddersfield since winning the playoff final though. 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Steve Bruce, new manager at LUFC.

You heard (or read) it here first!!

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Steve Bruce, new manager at LUFC.

You heard (or read) it here first!!

:D
    more chance of Stevie Gee - But there is always Big Sam
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited February 2023
    My understanding is that Man City will have little in terms of recourse. If they are found guilty, they could be treated quite harshly. A points deduction or a fine is just not going to be a punishment for a team like City if they're guilty.

Anything but stripping of titles and relegation is just a white wash. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    The RFU bottled it with Saracens, there's no reason to think that the same won't happen with City. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I'd put money on it being a punishment that most think is lenient for City. I hope it fits the crime to be honest (we don't know how bad things are yet), but I wouldn't want to see the club thrown out of the league (suggested as worst scenario on the radio this evening). 

• It happened to Rangers. 
  • TTony said:
    No way.  It’s always the ones you least expect  :s
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • joneve said:
    joneve said:

Wouldn't be unhappy with that. He's already been fired from Huddersfield and Olympiacos in the last 8 months. Doing a good job at West Brom, so would be a shame for them - but I'm not sure now's the right time to bring him in for a Relegation scrap. 

I think he's still bitter about us completely decimating Huddersfield since winning the playoff final though. 

He turned us from bottom placed relegation candidates to playoffs in about 10 games, albeit he had a break in there for the World Cup to get our players up to some kind of fitness.

We don't keep good managers, so I fully expect him to go to Leeds. He was linked with Everton but there wasn't much chance of him going there. The last good one we had was probably Hodgson and he got poached for England along with Dan Ashworth
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    edited February 2023
    joneve said:
    joneve said:

He turned us from bottom placed relegation candidates to playoffs in about 10 games, albeit he had a break in there for the World Cup to get our players up to some kind of fitness.

We don't keep good managers, so I fully expect him to go to Leeds. He was linked with Everton but there wasn't much chance of him going there. The last good one we had was probably Hodgson and he got poached for England along with Dan Ashworth
    Lots of talk about Franky Lamps to Leeds at the min. Saint Stevie G is holding out for the England job apparently.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I wouldn't be happy with either of them at my tin pot club, let alone a proper club
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Very strange move by Leeds at this stage, considering the players that were brought in at Ted Lasso’s request.  Surely they had to give him time to bed in new signings?   How much was he allowed to spend? 100m? Yet still had Bamford up front and Struijk at the back.    

You have to marvel at Orta and Radrizzani and how they run that place.   
    tFB Trader
    RobDavies said:
    Very strange move by Leeds at this stage, considering the players that were brought in at Ted Lasso’s request.  Surely they had to give him time to bed in new signings?   How much was he allowed to spend? 100m? Yet still had Bamford up front and Struijk at the back.    

You have to marvel at Orta and Radrizzani and how they run that place.   
    Agree about the timing and the recent transfer window - Hard to know how much influence the 49ers are having about all of this - They own a fair chunk of LUFC and intend to buy the remainder soon - Reports indicate Orta was wanting to keep Jessie

No LB was a strange one as it has been an issue for many months - Struijk is cover at best and Firpo a liability - Even Dallas was a cover option, but worked fine, but won't be back for a while and after such an injury you never know if they'll be the same